• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March NPD Thread (The story? PS3 = weak, SW sales = insane)

Mrbob

I think MS may be the one in trouble.

In their biggest territory they had 4 (4!) games in the top 10, and yet the hardware sales plummetted month over month.

PS3 only had one major release and an extremely high pricepoint.

X360 sales are baffling.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Wow, Nintendo took over 54% of the total market! DS looks on target to sell +20m units worldwide this year alone.

Surprised that the PS2 is still selling so well...but then again it did have GOW2 to boost sales. I think it isn't too much of an overstatement to say that, at this point in it's life, PS3 sales are disasterous.

Nintendo: 937k, 54.3 % hardware market share

Sony: 590k, 34.1 % hardware market share

Microsoft: 199k, 11.5 % hardware market share

Total = 1726 consoles sold in March

Nameless

Game Boy Advance 148K
PlayStation 3 130K

dog7wh0ga.gif

Jackl

Hell, all the consoles did kinda meh. PS3 am dead, Xbox fell under 200k, and Wii didn't break 300k(Strong but some serious issues in supply/demand there).

Edit: Correction the Ps2 will NOT die!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Holy crap @ God of War 2 sales.

But by the gods, if one game deserves those sales, it's GoW

Kratos to competition

knip.gif

spwolf

PS3 numbers suck, and so do 360's and Wii... DS is awesome.
PS2 great, PSP ok.

GOW2 awesome, Motorstorm very decent. GH2 nowhere close to as expected.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I posted but it got absorbed into the void.

My take: shitty numbers everywhere except PS2 and DS. PS2 and DS continue to just amaze and set records.

PS3 is dead unless it gets a drop. Dead as a doornail.
360 nose dived for no reason. Has a ton of software. Needs a drop now.
Wii is supply constrained, but those are STILL shitty numbers regardless. It's not like we adjust for magic deflator or something.

DeaconKnowledge said:
So, considering this is a 5 week month, the PS3 did even WORSE than last month.

26K a week. Which begs the question, with the slower, 4-week month of April could we see PS3 drop below 100K?

Elios83

Unexpected low numbers for everyone expect for PS2 and DS.
I'm glad Motorstorm did well.
Sony do yourself a favour and cut PS3 price to 399$ tomorrow :lol :lol
Microsoft should think about cutting the price too.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
So now can all those people who keep predicting the 360 will sell 50-100k more than the PS2 please stop. It's hilarious.....

Busaiku

Wow, Wii still managed to outsell all but 2, even with the supply constraints.
But sales overall are down (except maybe DS and PS2).
And Motorstorm sold a decent amount, too bad the Playstation 3 couldn't keep up to it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JB1981 said:
PS3 will be just fine with some new content and a price drop.

360 numbers fall below 200k after the success of Gears, Lost Planet, Crackdown and a slew of worthwhile releases - GRAW 2, MLB 2K7 and Guitar Hero 2. The Elite is a really, really dumb move. Thank God MS has Halo coming this fall. Things are about to get a lot more interesting.

And the Wii is mortal. Next-gen is just getting started.

Are you serious? PS3 just averaged about 25K units a week and its going to be just fine?

And the Wii is mortal? Because Nintendo undershipped since they already met their yearly forecast?

Wow

Epigamic

Comparison of GAF's and Pachter's predictions with the real numbers (N is the number of estimates from GAF):

Code:
	N	Median	Mean	Pachter	March
Wii	168	350	341	400	259
DS	159	435	441	250	508
X360	170	250	250	250	199
PS2	154	275	275	250	280
PS3	166	152	158	165	130
PSP	154	205	205	210	180
GBA	132	150	141	165	148
GC	84	21	22		22
Xbox	74	0.5	0.8		n/a

dyls said:
No Tiger Woods Wii in the top ten surprises me. And Spectrobes DS in the seven spot is a shocker.

360 owners continue to be absolutely voracious. But the general public kees staying away. When was the last time the 360 was under 200K?

Last March when it was @ 192k

MaX_PL

Banned
i expect xbox 360 sales to slowly rise after the elite, take an end of summer decline; and then Microsoft announces a price drop withXbox 360 selling 500k a month after that.

GhaleonEB

Odysseus said:
they announced a new sku with about a week and a half to go in the period

wouldn't surprise me if sales literally stopped right then as people started to wait for the new 360 to get

which means microsoft just raised the price of 360
That's what I thought.

It's going to be interesting to see if the 360 rebounds next month in average weekly sales. The showing this month is piss-poor, and about flat to what they did last year (192k).

If Elite doesn't boost sales, I'm inclined to say MS is going to be doing pretty badly until that price cut comes in. We've seen zero evidence that software is driving spikes in hardware, so they can't rely on the (excellent) summer lineup to do it for them.

The price is a barrier, plain and simple. Over a year and a half out, time to drop it, MS.

PS3: lolz.

My predictions, how off I was from the actual number, and percentage from the actual
DS: 394K (-114K) -22.4%
Wii: 360K (+101K) +39.0%
PS2: 291K (+11K) +3.9%
X360: 232K (+33K) +16.6%
PSP: 217K (+37K) +20.6%
GBA: 161K (+13K) +8.8%
PS3: 157K (+27K) +20.8%

Off by 336K total.

Rocksteady33 said:
Holy hell where did the PS2 come from!!!??
? It's lower than January or February.

fresquito

PS3 numbers are terrible, but I have this feeling that MS numbers don't look as bad as they could because the PS3 numbers, when they are very low. It's averaging 40k a week on its second year, it doesn't look too hot for MS if they can't pull off better numbers in homeland.

JB1981 said:
PS3 will be just fine with some new content and a price drop.

360 numbers fall below 200k after the success of Gears, Lost Planet, Crackdown and a slew of worthwhile releases - GRAW 2, MLB 2K7 and Guitar Hero 2. The Elite is a really, really dumb move. Thank God MS has Halo coming this fall. Things are about to get a lot more interesting.

And the Wii is mortal. Next-gen is just getting started.

dude

Empty_One said:
Where have you been the last 5 months?

Last month in a 4 week month it sold 330 something, this month on a 5 week month its 100k less. So even with those shoratges its sold fine, something changed this past month.

rage1973

Mrbob said:
I think MS may be the one in trouble.

In their biggest territory they had 4 (4!) games in the top 10, and yet the hardware sales plummetted month over month.

PS3 only had one major release and an extremely high pricepoint.

X360 sales are baffling.
It's not really baffling if you consider the Elite announcement.
Wouldn't surprise me if sales in April took a nosedive also because of it. They really need to do that $100 price cut to offset the horrible move called Elite.

Flakster99

I'm all about the software. Killer GoW 2 numbers. Any chance you can share with us top 10 per console/handheld? As for specific game numbers, Zelda Wii, Sonic Wii?

Odysseus said:
fixed for truth
Well, yeah...I agree. But how else are they going to justify their inflated 120GB HDD? That's a lot of profit margin fattened there.

As for Sony, they need to drop sooner rather than later. No releases are going to change their fate without a hefty price cut. Motorstorm charted decently, but clearly didn't have shit for effect on the hardware sales since the average weekly went down instead of up for March compared to February.

jimbo

Banned
llTll said:
the way i see things.

from the last month sales:

PS3 sales increased
Xbox 360 Decreased.

all low over all

Not if you consider how long each month is.

Last month PS3 127/ 4 = 31k per week
This month PS3 130k/5 = 26k per week

They all decreased, the Wii seeing the biggest drop, followed by the 360.

The Wii is supplied constrained, while the 360 is most likely having some people hold off for the Elite. The PS3 is just plain bombing.

If Nintendo doesn't increase production past 259k this month then 360 > Wii for April is pretty much guaranteed thanks to the Elite.

Parl

Adjusted to take into account extra week...

DS: DOWN 16%
Wii: DOWN 39%
PS2: DOWN 24%
360: DOWN 30%
PSP: DOWN 18%
GBA: DOWN 13%
PS3: DOWN 18%

Nameless

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I posted but it got absorbed into the void.

My take: shitty numbers everywhere except PS2 and DS. PS2 and DS continue to just amaze and set records.

PS3 is dead unless it gets a drop. Dead as a doornail.
360 nose dived for no reason. Has a ton of software. Needs a drop now.
Wii is supply constrained, but those are STILL shitty numbers regardless. It's not like we adjust for magic deflator or something.

Only 1k from 200k isn't that bad, it WAS March. ANd unlike the Wii most people who wanted a 360 could actually find one over the holidays. Nothing huge came out either. I mean you had GRAW at the beginning of the month and GTH at the end, but neither of those are really system sellers. 200k is a solid number all things considered.

??? at Wii numbers
:lol at PS3 numbers
360 numbers about right with Elite coming
DS...wow

Better than I expected for Motorstorm
Better than I expected for GRAW2
Wow at Guitar Hero 2's 3-4 days of sales
Wii Play still going strong (as it should)
Spectrobes?!?

And the new software king (until Pokemon), God of War 2 - well-deserved

Top Bottom