• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March NPD Thread (The story? PS3 = weak, SW sales = insane)

fresquito

Heh, my predictions compared to the real numbers.

NDS: 455k (-53k)
Wii: 360k (+101k)
PS2: 330k (+50k)
360: 270k (+71k)
PSP: 215k (+35k)
GBA: 155k (+7k)
PS3: 145k (+15k)
GC: 25k (+3k)
Xbox: 400 (n/a)

Off by +229k

Damn Wii supplies and damn 360 underperforming! Well, not bad for my first prediction :)

I think March was a pretty disappointing month for all sides as far as hardware goes (except for the DS), especially considering it's 5 weeks.

Nameless

Y2Kevbug11 said:
How is that not bad? It's down weekly with a lot of big releases. GRAW is not a big seller? WTF? Look at the first game and what it did?

I don't know why the numbers are worth defending. They're shit.

Didn't say it wasn't a big seller, but I doubt there are many people who havn't bought a 360 went and bought one for GRAW. Its not a system seller. ANd 200k in March is NOT bad for a $400 machine. I mean, did you expect it to sell upwards of 300-400k? Its a solid number.

Odysseus

Banned
Emowii said:
Yeah, because we all know how many regular gamers out there keep up on the latest announcements. I personally believe the announcement accounted for a small difference in the overall numbers.

Even if people were considering buying a 360, how many of them do you really believe are gonna "wait it out" for the more expensive version of the system, that only offers a couple marginal upgrades?

i think "regular gamers" are more informed than you would like to believe, they simply don't care about many of the things internet forum hardcore gaming nerds care about. and then you have to consider what information that might learn at the point of sale from the average nerdy salesclerk.

and i think to the average joe, a 360 with a 120gb hdd looks better than a 360 with a 20 gb hdd, particularly when you consider a the price/space ratio of the 20gb hdd versus the 120 gb hdd. they aren't comparing the larger hdd to what they could buy off newegg, they are comparing how they get six times the space for less than twice the money. doesn't matter if they actually need it. that's why i think the elite is bad unless the premium is similarly upgraded to a larger hdd.

at any rate, the weekly average fell ~20%, give or take. that can't be explained by demand just falling off for no reason at all.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Why are people compensating for the Elite? Announced later in the month and it isn't like most gamers are immediately up on this news.

Unless the sell-through base is still the hardcore, in which case it's still a large problem as that well has got to dry up soon.

The Elite was a non-issue and didn't affect sales to any recordable degreee. 200k isn't great for the 360, but compared to the PS3...

And the 360 is now at it's 17th month without a price drop, so I'd say it did fine.

Firestorm

YYZ said:
I'm surprised that month in and month out people expect a $600 box to sell more than something that is $70 (?)

According to price, the sales numbers make sense so no surprises from this guy.

The GameCube is $70. Doesn't that mean it should be on top of sales? Hell, the NES is probably $10 now. It should be a juggernaut!

Kittonwy

Banned
Bildi said:
Last gen and handhelds were actually what I expected.

But all three consoles - what the f*ckitty f*ck?

Wii - supply constrained
360 - Elite announcement
PS3 - Could have used God of War 3 in the line-up

Indifferent2.gif

Well, turns out those predictions of 'flattish' sales were true. It's actually much less interesting than I expected, I can't believe I waited for this. I'm off to bed.

I expect at least two bannings and 15 extra pages by tomorrow morning please.

Empty_One

MiamiWesker said:
Last month in a 4 week month it sold 330 something, this month on a 5 week month its 100k less. So even with those shoratges its sold fine, something changed this past month.

Yes, but my point is that it has been supply constrained since launch. Last months number, while higher, was still limited to the supply. There aren't any in stores, and until a shipment sits on the shelves for more than a day, you can't really worry too much about how the numbers fluctuate from month to month.

Xisiqomelir

gurupachter.jpg

Our views for console hardware sales are as follows:

Wii 400,000
PS3 165,000
Xbox 360 250,000
PS2 250,000
PSP 210,000
DS 250,000
GBA 165,000

We expect the recent sales strength on the PS2 to continue beyond March, given strong sell-through performance over the past nine months and a phenomenal lineup of mass-market games expected in April-July. We note that positive comparisons for PS2 software sales begin in April, making continued sales strength more difficult. However, we expect a high level of software support for the PS2 platform for the foreseeable future, and expect only modest year-over-year declines (approximately 20%) for the first half of 2007. Over the next four months, we expect the PS2 versions of Spider-Man 3, Shrek the Third, Ratatouille, Transformers, The Simpsons and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to sell more units than on any other platforms. The degree of decline in the second half of the year will depend upon next generation console sales, as most next generation consoles are likely replacements for current generation consoles.

So, ummm, there's going to be positions opening up at Wedbush, right? :lol

Gekkonidae said:
There's actually nothing there that would really make GAF explode. Everything's mostly expected.

Now, if Wii takes off in April, that will be an epic NPD thread.

Agree. The Nintendo DS is the only one that it is selling like CRAZY, the rest is more or less in the previsions (not of Patcher of course :lol ).
Wii shortages, PS2 trained by God of War II, PSP decent, GBA still very well, Xbox360 down (great software sales, but bad hardware sales: this is a trend) and a PS3 that is selling like shit.

Epiphyte

Pretty severe under shipment for the Wii. I didn't expect to see it grow significantly over the February numbers, but to drop 100K with an extra week is pretty damn surprising.

Given that the Japanese numbers haven't shown any large increase, I have to assume Nintendo transferred some stock Europe to help combat the PS3 launch.

FrankT

mood said:
Wait, doom and gloom for 360 when it sold better than last year at the same price point, and 70k more than the PS3 which was released 5 months ago?

Naw, PS3 bomba. That's the real doom and gloom.

VultureDude said:
heh, lackluster sales numbers for Wii software despite a barrage of third party support in March...

what does it mean?

Until Wiis are sitting on store shelves, it doesn't really mean anything.

bud

360 - price just went up and it sold less considering the games.
ps3 - omg lol
psp - decent but the pricecut didn't do all that but then again it's only $30
ds - :bow
wii - no comment
ps2 - :D

next-gen...WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

naranjito

Banned
Ah crap, boring numbers.
You guys really think Elite is the reason for the x360 sales?
Well, all that's left to said is the standard "next month will be interesting".

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nameless said:
Didn't say it wasn't a big seller, but I doubt there are many people who havn't bought a 360 went and bought one for GRAW. Its not a system seller. ANd 200k in March is NOT bad for a $400 machine. I mean, did you expect it to sell upwards of 300-400k? Its a solid number.

I expected it to be up YOY significantly due to an incredible amount of good software and large availability in the channel. If you remember, last March was the 360's last supply constrained month.

I don't see why this deserves rationalization.

Sonycowboy, obviously the PS3 is up to its spiderman-font logo in shit, but it's to be expected and I'm not surprised.

QVT said:
130k over 5 weeks with Home, LBP, and Motorstorm is so awful compared to 127k with nothing.

... what? Are you seriously trying to argue that GDC demonstrations of software that is nowhere near being released should have system selling power? :lol

JB1981 said:
PS3 will be just fine with some new content and a price drop.

Wait, wasn't Motorstorm and VF5 supposed to be "new content"?

And how quick people are forgetting Oblivion too. Wasn't Oblivion supposed to be "new content"?

I can't believe people are trying to spin Sony as being in good shape at this point. But note to Sony; you need to outsell the competition at least more than one month before you can bridge that LTD gap. The Wii says high from about a mile away.

jj984jj said:
:lol

If Nintendo could ship a million they'd sell that much, I don't understand why they can't when they did it with the GBA.
Because the GBA probably did about 200k a month in Europe and Japan, while the DS is approching that number weekly.

The DS is on fire just about everywhere. Too bad we won't see the full sales potential next month though :(. Same for Wii.

White Man

MS needs a price drop stat. They are making very little ground when a single decent price drop could be making them a lot more attractive during Sony's slump. Of course, they are doing the exact opposite and raising their price. . .

jrricky

Banned
O...M...G... at DS sales (faints). What happened this month? Are people gearing up for Pokemon? If those are the sales this month without pokemon, there will be an apocalypse when pokemon arrives... Great Wii sales with shortages holding it back sadly...

OH, LOL at PS3.

doicare

Epigamic said:
Comparison of GAF's and Pachter's predictions with the real numbers (N is the number of estimates from GAF):

Code:
	N	Median	Mean	Pachter	March
Wii	168	350	341	400	259
DS	159	435	441	250	508
X360	170	250	250	250	199
PS2	154	275	275	250	280
PS3	166	152	158	165	130
PSP	154	205	205	210	180
GBA	132	150	141	165	148
GC	84	21	22		22
Xbox	74	0.5	0.8		n/a

Haha gaf wins again

YYZ said:
I'm surprised that month in and month out people expect a $600 box to sell more than something that is $70 (?)

Try a brand new hardware being outsold by an obsolete hardware with a monstrously successful successor on the market at the same time. That's why it's funny.

Also, it looks liki ioi's Weekly sales experiment is over. These numbers are wildly different from his.

Donnie

JB1981 said:
PS3 will be just fine with some new content and a price drop.

360 numbers fall below 200k after the success of Gears, Lost Planet, Crackdown and a slew of worthwhile releases - GRAW 2, MLB 2K7 and Guitar Hero 2. The Elite is a really, really dumb move. Thank God MS has Halo coming this fall. Things are about to get a lot more interesting.

And the Wii is supply constrained. Next-gen is just getting started.

Fixed your post..

Nameless

rage1973 said:
How is GH2 not a system seller? It will sell well above million copies just in the US when it's all said and done. You can argue that GRAW2 is a big game also and should sell over a million copies world wide. Games are there for 360 and all it needs is a price cut. PS3 on the other hand will need something to jump start it's sales. One or two games or even a $100 price cut will not do anything for that system.

360 owners buy a great deal of HW. GRAW2 is simply the next game that the mob will flock to. Look at Crackdown.. It Did 500k in a week and a half and is no where to be found now.

dirtmonkey37 said:
PS3 numbers are pretty much expected. What do you expect from a $600 machine? Don't tell me "OMG LOLZ 300K a month, duh!"

Dude, it's the Playstation 3. If you'd gone around predicting sales like this 12 months ago, even at this price, people wouldn't have came close to believing you. Sure, you can make a perfectly sensible argument that it's price is holding it back, but nobody expected this to happen.

GhaleonEB

For those keeping track, the 360 is still doing better than the Xbox in monthly comparables - and the Xbox was at $200 for 9 months at this point.

I do think it's trending to the point where MS will need to cut the price. Trending down this year, given the sofware lineup, is bad news, IMO.

cartoon_soldier said:
lol at all the people saying PS3 is fine and they are worried about 360.

SDF never gives up.

:lol :lol

Seems that a more fun prediction thread would be to "guess" at who will slant which way.

I feel the utter love of video games in your statement.

I can't predict sales, but **** if you can't predict which posters will claim victory for their plastic penis.

jj984jj said:
If Nintendo could ship a million they'd sell that much, I don't understand why they can't when they did it with the GBA.
Whaa? These last two months of DS are right up there with the best months GBA ever had that weren't November of December. Certainly it never reached a million in March or April.

MaX_PL

Banned
YYZ said:

yeh seriously.

handhelds should have their own thread. i'm not a fan of the PS3 but even i'll admit that comparing PS3 to a Gameboy is stupid.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AltogetherAndrews said:
... what? Are you seriously trying to argue that GDC demonstrations of software that is nowhere near being released should have system selling power? :lol

Sadly some sonybots on this board did just that.

Top Bottom