• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March NPD Thread (The story? PS3 = weak, SW sales = insane)

Bildi

Last gen and handhelds were actually what I expected.

But all three consoles - what the f*ckitty f*ck?

Wii - supply constrained
360 - Elite announcement
PS3 - ???

Duke Togo

PS2 and Nintendo DS just aren't allowing nextgen to happen. :lol I'm a bit surprised at the 60k gap between 360 and PS3, I thought it would have been wider.

Emowii

Banned
Odysseus said:
they announced a new sku with about a week and a half to go in the period

wouldn't surprise me if sales literally stopped right then as people started to wait for the new 360 to get

which means microsoft just raised the price of 360
Yeah, because we all know how many regular gamers out there keep up on the latest announcements. I personally believe the announcement accounted for a small difference in the overall numbers.

Even if people were considering buying a 360, how many of them do you really believe are gonna "wait it out" for the more expensive version of the system, that only offers a couple marginal upgrades?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
PS3 did better this month than last.

Whereas

Wii did worse this month than last.

PS3 comeback CONFIRMED.

Pretty boring numbers all around except for DS, actually.

Nameless

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I posted but it got absorbed into the void.

My take: shitty numbers everywhere except PS2 and DS. PS2 and DS continue to just amaze and set records.

PS3 is dead unless it gets a drop. Dead as a doornail.
360 nose dived for no reason. Has a ton of software. Needs a drop now.
Wii is supply constrained, but those are STILL shitty numbers regardless. It's not like we adjust for magic deflator or something.

Only 1k from 200k isn't that bad, it WAS March. ANd unlike the Wii most people who wanted a 360 could actually find one over the holidays. Nothing huge came out either. I mean you had GRAW at the beginning of the month and GTH at the end, but neither of those are really system sellers. 200k is a solid number all things considered.

pilonv1 said:
explosion.gif

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyoink.

mood

Wait, doom and gloom for 360 when it sold better than last year at the same price point, and 70k more than the PS3 which was released 5 months ago?

besada

Banned
llTll said:
the way i see things.

from the last month sales:

PS3 sales increased
Xbox 360 Decreased.

all low over all

Great, in a few months they'll reach parity and both be selling like shit.

Nameless

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I posted but it got absorbed into the void.

My take: shitty numbers everywhere except PS2 and DS. PS2 and DS continue to just amaze and set records.

PS3 is dead unless it gets a drop. Dead as a doornail.
360 nose dived for no reason. Has a ton of software. Needs a drop now.
Wii is supply constrained, but those are STILL shitty numbers regardless. It's not like we adjust for magic deflator or something.

Only 1k from 200k isn't that bad, it WAS March. ANd unlike the Wii most people who wanted a 360 could actually find one over the holidays. Nothing huge came out either. I mean you had GRAW at the beginning of the month and GTH at the end, but neither of those are really system sellers. 200k is a solid number all things considered.

Grecco

Next Month is the first month with the "increased Wii shipments" is it not.

Thats gonna be an interesting month to be sure.

Vrolokus

Banned
I think MS has gotten to everyone who's willing to pay $400 for a console. And Sony has just about gotten to everybody who's willing to pay $600.

Raistlin

Kolgar said:
Sony, Microsoft... Get the message already. LOWER THOSE ****ING PRICES.

The problem being the consoles cost so much to make.

Basically ... we've done it to ourselves. Next-gen (ie PS4, X-box 720) are going to be graphically gimped.

Great ... just great. :(

I know the focus is on HW numbers, and to a great extent, rightfully so, but I think it's worthwhile to throw this perspective in here.

1) HW sales are up 69% vs last year, and almost double on the console side. They are higher this March than anytime in the history of the industry. $599, $399, $250 and DS, PSP, & PS2 continue to soak up record amounts of $$$$. There is a concept of conservation of energy that applies here. There is a finite amount of money out there and folks are preferring to spread it around (and away from the PS3), vs previous generations.

2) SW sales are insane as well.

Here's the breakdown vs last year.

March 2006 March 2007 CHG
Video Games $818M $1.1B 33%

Video Games Hardware $219M $370M 69%
Console Hardware $133M $257M 93%
Portable Game Hardware $85M $114M 33%

Video Games Software $501M $574M 15%
Console Software $391M $437M 12%
Portable Game Software $110M $137M 25%

Video Game Accessories $98M $145M 48%

DeaconKnowledge said:
So, considering this is a 5 week month, the PS3 did even WORSE than last month.
on weekly sales yes, but march is traditionally slower as you can see from most of the other consoles sales... so a slight increase is actually a bit healthier than it looks on the surface.

of course, that just puts the ps3 on the course to not be losing ground on the 360, if they can keep it up.

until then, the gap continues to widen.

rs7k

The only number that's surprising is the Wii number (supply issue).

The 360 and the PS3 are both way too expensive for the casual consumer who just wants to have fun. Without a price drop, PS3 sales will continue to be mediocre, same with the 360 to a much lesser extent (Halo 3 will spike those sales up MASSIVELY, quote me on it).

I doubt the Elite announcement did much to hurt 360 sales. The 360 is starting to run out of people buying it at $400. I don't think that many people are not picking up a 360 now to pick up a $480 system. Without the announcement, you may have seen 10K more for the 360 - pretty insignificant.

I wonder what the tie-in ratio is for the PS3. The 360's is enormous, so the HW sales don't look quite as bad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nameless said:

How is that not bad? It's down weekly with a lot of big releases. GRAW is not a big seller? WTF? Look at the first game and what it did?

I don't know why the numbers are worth defending. They're shit.

KINGMOKU

Okay, this is now setting up for an April destructor.

I hope everyone is prepared for it. It will be the biggest NPD of the year, besides November, and December.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
PS3 numbers are pretty much expected. What do you expect from a $600 machine? Don't tell me "OMG LOLZ 300K a month, duh!"

360 numbers are initially surprising, but after some thought, you'll see that they're predicatable as well. Elite is announced so people wait. Easy as that. Especially with stores advertising the Elite... Some people don't even know that it's going to cost them $480.

Wii numbers, well, they're not bad (better than the other two). I would say solid, if not spectacular. :) Next month should see a surge in sales.

I'm surprised at the GHII numbers for the 360. When did they cap March NPD? April 6th?

GRAW is similarly surprising. I thought it would do about 200K, but apparently...it did twice that.

God damned, I want to see what sales the Wii could really reach if there weren't shortages.
And does anybody know how many DS'es Nintendo has shipped for the Pokébomb?

Overal pretty low sales, except for the DS (on fire!) and the PS2 that just keeps on going.

Busaiku

MiamiWesker said:
Last month in a 4 week month it sold 330 something, this month on a 5 week month its 100k less. So even with those shoratges its sold fine, something changed this past month.
There was an even bigger shortage than usual?
April will be crazy.
Super Paper Mario + (Possibly) Ample Supply = ???
Nintendo DS Lite + Pokemon Diamond + Pokemon Pearl = ???

Arsenal

antiloop said:
360 barely beats PSP? I thought PSP was a failure. Is 360 also a failure now?

Go go go GoW2!

PSP is only a failure when compared to the DS or PS2. In the big scheme of things, it is holding its own.

There's actually nothing there that would really make GAF explode. Everything's mostly expected.

Now, if Wii takes off in April, that will be an epic NPD thread.

Saoh

DS & PS2 rule the world!! next-gen am fail :lol :lol.

Nintendo rises to heavens, 500k is just insane :eek:. Wii did ok but those numbers are crappy.

GBA>PS3, GBA wins :lol :lol :lol

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Parl said:
Adjusted to take into account extra week...

DS: DOWN 16%
Wii: DOWN 39%
PS2: DOWN 24%
360: DOWN 30%
PSP: DOWN 18%
GBA: DOWN 13%
PS3: DOWN 18%

Needs to be quoted for the idiots who are saying PS3 sales are up. If you're gonna try and spin, at least learn the facts so you spin something that doesn't make you look like an idiot.

360 down because of Elite, price cut will supercharge it. Who says it needs to sell as much as PS2 when its software attach is astronomical?

Raistlin

jimbo said:
Not if you consider how long each month is.

Last month PS3 127/ 4 = 31k per week
This month PS3 130k/5 = 26k per week

Parl said:
Adjusted to take into account extra week...

DS: DOWN 16%
Wii: DOWN 39%
PS2: DOWN 24%
360: DOWN 30%
PSP: DOWN 18%
GBA: DOWN 13%
PS3: DOWN 18%

Wait ...

28 days versus 31 is a difference of a week?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why are people compensating for the Elite? Announced later in the month and it isn't like most gamers are immediately up on this news.

Unless the sell-through base is still the hardcore, in which case it's still a large problem as that well has got to dry up soon.

YYZ

I'm surprised that month in and month out people expect a $600 box to sell more than something that is $70 (?)

According to price, the sales numbers make sense so no surprises from this guy.

rage1973

Nameless said:
How is GH2 not a system seller? It will sell well above million copies just in the US when it's all said and done. You can argue that GRAW2 is a big game also and should sell over a million copies world wide. Games are there for 360 and all it needs is a price cut. PS3 on the other hand will need something to jump start it's sales. One or two games or even a $100 price cut will not do anything for that system.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
darthmario said:
I can't resist . . . seeing how the grudge match turned out.

ps3-failure-to-launch.jpg
:lol

Vyse The Legend said:
And Pokemon isn't even out yet! Imagine next month! Jesus...
If Nintendo could ship a million they'd sell that much, I don't understand why they can't when they did it with the GBA.

Epigamic said:
Comparison of GAF's and Pachter's predictions with the real numbers (N is the number of estimates from GAF):

Code:
	N	Median	Mean	Pachter	March
Wii	168	350	341	400	259
DS	159	435	441	250	508
X360	170	250	250	250	199
PS2	154	275	275	250	280
PS3	166	152	158	165	130
PSP	154	205	205	210	180
GBA	132	150	141	165	148
GC	84	21	22		22
Xbox	74	0.5	0.8		n/a

Wow. Go GAF!