• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

distantmantra said:
Rock On was recorded live, or atleast in one take. It's the only officially released track Melissa worked on.
Wow. That drumming...

Iha is in Vanessa and the O's: http://www.vanessaandtheos.com/
They're a pretty cool band. Clips are at the site. "Charlie Charlie" is my fav.
A Perfect Circle is "over" according to Maynard in a French interview.

SP will be: Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin, and Melissa auf der Maur.
As for James, no one knows yet. He has a myspace but he barely has any info. http://www.myspace.com/26565982 (update: this likely is not his real myspace)

Darcy said goodbye to the Pumpkins a long time ago. I don't think she's coming back. MADM is a much better bassist anyway.

melissa maybe a better bassist overall, but be honest and say you would rather have the one and only darcy back!

darcy02.jpg

Diablos

When she was stable, yes. Otherwise she could barely play. Thank god Jimmy was good enough to cover the rhythm section entirely.

SD-Ness

Diablos said:
Wow. That drumming...

Iha is in Vanessa and the O's: http://www.vanessaandtheos.com/
They're a pretty cool band. Clips are at the site. "Charlie Charlie" is my fav.
A Perfect Circle is "over" according to Maynard in a French interview.

SP will be: Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin, and Melissa auf der Maur.
As for James, no one knows yet. He has a myspace but he barely has any info. http://www.myspace.com/26565982

Darcy said goodbye to the Pumpkins a long time ago. I don't think she's coming back. MADM is a much better bassist anyway.
Didn't Iha do a solo album a couple of years ago?

APC over. :(

distantmantra said:
You're new around here.

Resident GAF SP fans:
--Me
--Diablos
--French Movie Theme
--Terrene (OLD SCHOOL AMSPER!! LIKE ME)
--Jesiatha (old SP buddy, used to go to shows together)
--Alpha Snake

What happened to me bitches?

Anyway, just curious to see if anyone has the "Rocket" cd single? I love their cover of "Best Friend" that 's on it. I would have given my right arm for the single back in the days before the internets. I couldn't find it to save my life.

Good news though at the new album. Hopefully, we'll get a little closer to some sounds resembling some stuff off SD.

siamesedreamer said:
Anyway, just curious to see if anyone has the "Rocket" cd single? I love their cover of "Best Friend" that 's on it. I would have given my right arm for the single back in the days before the internets. I couldn't find it to save my life.

I have the CD and 7" (in the Siamese Singles boxset, not the uber expensive peach vinyl) singles. You mean "Never Let Me Down Again," right? The back cover with the stick figure band portrait used to be my avatar on GAF.

siamesedreamer said:
Yep, that's it. I forget who's song it was originally. Depeche Mode?

Yep. It's also available on a great DM tribute album that came out in 1998 and the Not Another Teen Movie soundtrack.

Diablos said:
Hey guys, remember Manny Chevrolet from Vieuphoria?

http://www.nola.com/elections/?/elections/video/candidates.html

He's running for Mayor of New Orleans! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The video is funny. He presents himself exactly the same. He even gets mad and says he's not gonna win the election. :lol

It won't play in Firefox.

OH MY GOD :lol :lol :lol :lol

I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT HIM, AND WHAT HE'S DOING NOW :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

nice find, diablows

Diablos

God, he's such a moron. :lol
I can't believe he's doing this. He looks like a FOOL! An extremely entertaining fool.

You should vote for him because he's a "fun loving guy" and a "lady's man, so that's why I would work well with the government" :lol

Unbelievable :lol

In addition to a state of the art levee system, Manny proposed:

-Hash bars
-Legalization of red light districts

These would be used to pay for the state of the art levee system.

:lol

I have my Tristessa 7" Signed. I cant say I'm looking forward to this reunion tho...He needs to Rock! Come and kick everyone in the ass by rocking and rockin hard. Isnt it only Him and Jimmy in the studio right now? And I dont care what anyone says, A100 was THE song to listen to off his solo album.

distantmantra said:
You're new around here.

Resident GAF SP fans:
--Me
--Diablos
--French Movie Theme
--Terrene (OLD SCHOOL AMSPER!! LIKE ME)
--Jesiatha (old SP buddy, used to go to shows together)
--Alpha Snake

Way to leave me off the list

Macam

Banned
How the hell did I miss this? Thanks for the heads up, Diablos. btw, any word on JCC's follow-up album?

Diablos

Nope. I think they recorded it... or at least started doing so. Jimmy is probably saving his new tricks for the SP album. If they're starting it in the summer, that leaves between now and, say, June or July (not very long) for JCC to do a new album, and tour for it. Unlikely. Plus, you know how they are in the studio. Jimmy won't be able to do both at once. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see another Complex album until after the SP album comes out, which is either in late 2006/anytime in 2007. Sean is out of JCC, and there's some new guy in the band named Gannin Arnold. And of course, Billy Mohler. But that news was announced a long time ago. Jimmy may very well be putting the band on hold for a couple years. It's worth it. :D

edit: Just found out that Gannin Arnold is now playing with Taylor Hawkins' band. He was going to tour with the Complex but it looks like Jimmy put that on hold. So I think that confirms it.

Hmm... Reunion. I don't know. The Pumpkins were a bible for my teenage years. I still hold them close to my heart, but Corgan, he annoys me now. Annoys me in ways I shouldn't be annoyed by a person I don't know. I don't want to explain it. It's felt though.
lyric.gif
Even his dance and hip camera angle/editing is annoying.

That said. I will still attend the concerts and buy the album. <3 the Pumpkins. Always.

Diablos

surrealist said:
Hmm... Reunion. I don't know. The Pumpkins were a bible for my teenage years. I still hold them close to my heart, but Corgan, he annoys me now. Annoys me in ways I shouldn't be annoyed by a person I don't know. I don't want to explain it. It's felt though.
lyric.gif
Even his dance and hip camera angle/editing is annoying.

That said. I will still attend the concerts and buy the album. <3 the Pumpkins. Always.
I never felt that much of a "personal" bond when listening, I just have a deep appreciation for their music. So that really doesn't bother me. Their new album will be good. No more MACHINA MYSTERY omg. He's going to want to rock again too, after doing Zwan and then TheFutureEmbrace... he's long overdue to just crank it up.

Save that incredibly lame scene, I love the Lyric video and the hippie vibe. :D

Diablos

Well, if you've been paying attention to Corgan recently, you'd have realized his solo work is anything but "hippie", it's more electronica - like Adore. He told fans the next time they would see him he'd be "fucking metal" or something like that.

You aren't going to get Zwan again. Billy is disgusted with Zwan, did you ever read about it? He's not going to play those songs. He's not dumb, he knows Zwan isn't good enough to be the Pumpkins. I think it's safe to say that in the back of his mind he always wanted the band to get back together, which would explain why Zwan was so poppy and simple overall. He either did lots of really folky acoustic stuff that I did appreciate (but is really out of character for SP which meant it was a good time for him to play those songs), or songs like Lyric and Honestly. Beyond that, Zwan had like one or two hard songs. It's quite obvious that he's written new material and is saving it for when he goes back in the studio with SP in the summer.

Oh: http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=204336

A report in February revealed that Corgan and Chamberlin signed a deal with Irvin Azoff's Front Line Management under the guise of The Smashing Pumpkins. Billboard also reported that multi-instrumentalist Billy Mohler, who played on Chamberlin's solo album Life Begins Again, would be involved in the recording of the new Pumpkins album.
Well Macam, that might answer your question.
But honestly... I can't see Billy Mohler in SP. This might be false information.

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
Diablos said:
APC's first album was great. I don't know wtf happened afterwards though.

thirtenth step and emotive rocked are you crazy? i've always felt fortunate that we even got 2 more albums. loved them. maynard *tear*

Diablos

Well make an APC thread if you want, this is about the Pumpkins. I'll be happy to continue the discussion there.

Hmm, I'll go see them (whoever they turn out to be besides Billy and Jimmy) when they tour nearby, but I have my doubts on whether the new record will be worth paying attention to. Of course I'd love to be proven wrong.

Diablos

It'll be awesome. Believe it. Billy's long overdue for a harder sound and he knows it. It might not be "harder" in the way you're thinking but it won't be Machina or Zwan either.

It's definitely Billy, Jimmy, and Melissa. James is the unknown.

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
Billy will get James back. They are both pretty big pussies who will have some sort of "Oh i love you too man, we had such great times" moments and make something hopefully better than that limp bizkit song Truth.

now that's some Truth.

Diablos

Megafoo Chavez said:
Billy will get James back. They are both pretty big pussies who will have some sort of "Oh i love you too man, we had such great times" moments and make something hopefully better than that limp bizkit song Truth.

now that's some Truth.
what :lol

They've already made better songs than Limp Bizkit, it's called their entire discography.

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
you know i love everything billy does Diablos. I'm hoping he goes off the deep end with more songs like silverfuck and xyu. then gives us some sparing sensitive billy.

i think in the musical sense, james is probably "on another page" from whatever billy is planning to do now. i mean if james released at least one album post-SP then it'd show what he's going for ... but i think as friends and musicians, james and billy are "divorced." and like any divorced couple, its best they pack there bags and part ways ... i mean, if SP does stay around forever a la rolling stones then yeah im sure one day they'll both say fuck it and play together ... but if you're anticipating james to be back then prepare to diappointment

Diablos

Megafoo Chavez said:
i always felt bad for fred. he always wished he was Maynard.
...and Billy.

When he was doing that stupid making of thing on MTV he was playing guitar and said "I'm trying to sound like Billy Corgan but I CAN'T FUCKING DO IT I SOUND LIKE SHIT WAH WAHHHH"

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i think in the musical sense, james is probably "on another page" from whatever billy is planning to do now. i mean if james released at least one album post-SP or then it'd show what he's going for ... but i think as friends and musicians, james and billy are "divorced" ... i mean, if SP does stay around forever a la rolling stones then yeah im sure one day they'll both say fuck it and play together ... but if you're anticipating james to be back then prepare to diappointment
Eh I dunno. You are probably right. Unlike Darcy, James is still an active musician, so he would have went public with intentions to rejoin around the time Jimmy made it known he was excited to.

He could still be thinking about it. Or wanting to surprise fans.

But after Billy says "James Iha broke up the Pumpkins," well, true or not, I don't think James has much respect left for Billy at this point :p

There was an tidbit in a newspaper that said the two were spotted at some restaurant. So they are talking about it/have talked about it recently.

i'm sure by now james gave billy a call or vice versa. my prediction is that they've settled their personal disputes, but the question is whether they really want to play together again. so its not out of left feild that james would be back but if i had to put money on it i'd say otherwise

Diablos

I dunno.

But what I'm concerned about personally is actually getting a chance to see them. They ditched Pittsburgh for their last run, and I fear they're going to keep that up. I'd love to say that I would go anywhere to see them but it's not like I'm gonna buy a plane ticket or drive for hundreds of miles with the way gas is now.

PLEASE COME TO PITTSBURGH SP. PLEASE.

Top Bottom