• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos said:
I dunno.

But what I'm concerned about personally is actually getting a chance to see them. They ditched Pittsburgh towards the end of their last run, and I fear they're going to keep that up. I'd love to say that I would go anywhere to see them but it's not like I'm gonna buy a plane ticket or drive for hundreds of miles with the way gas is now.

PLEASE COME TO PITTSBURGH SP. PLEASE.

i havent even seen them live before. i'm glad i finally get the chance, but still i really regret never having seen the "original" SP. they came to houston for their Sacred and Profane tour and I didn't go for some retarded reason ... if i would have known they were breaking up (he announced it the week after *rolleyes) i would've went rain or shine.

i saw zwan though. they put on a great show

Diablos

I was gonna see Zwan in Cleveland but I was like "I'll just catch them next time," and go figure, they broke up.

Oh yeah, I should have said SP ditched Pittsburgh FOR their final run, not towards the end of it. Pittsburgh simply was not on the map. And I can understand. There's not many places to play.

But they still have to come here. I will be so sad if they don't. What if they do a reunion tour and then break up again, I'll never see them. :(

I saw Radiohead, I must see the Pumpkins.

I've seen every iteration of the band (original 4, original 3 and Matt Walker, original 3 and Kenny Arofson/Mike Garson, original 3 and Melissa) so far, so it would be only fitting to see this supposed new one as well.

I'm semi-excited, but I'm not looking for the second coming of the messiah from this reunion, however.

Diablos

distantmantra said:
I'm not looking for the second coming or anything, however.
The second coming? Lolz
Neither am I, but I've never seen them.
And you have no reason to be excited, you've only seen the Pumpkins like 500 times.
Think about it man! I may finally for the first time ever have a chance to see them play. I'm all giddy.

I'm gonna get Billy's IP and send him net messages on his computer! PLAY PITTSBURGH!

Diablos said:
The second coming? Lolz
And you have no reason to be excited, you've only seen the Pumpkins like 500 times.

I'm gonna get Billy's IP and send him net messages on his computer! TOUR PITTSBURGH!

I saw them 12 times in 7 years, I knew people who saw them 40-50 times.

I thought I talked you into driving to see Zwan?

I saw them twice, once in Seattle and once in Portland. The Portland show was awesome.

Diablos

Either way, it's ZWAN! Not the same. I can live without seeing Zwan, but I gotta see TSP.
Honestly (no pun intended) I figured they weren't worth the money. At that point I realized Zwan as a band was falling apart and it wasn't worth the effort.

Diablos

distantmantra said:
I saw them 12 times in 7 years, I knew people who saw them 40-50 times.
You talk like 12 isn't a lot of times. That's more than enough to be satisfied!
All I need to do is just see them once and I'll be thrilled.

Manics

Banned
Diablos said:
The second coming? Lolz
Think about it man! I may finally for the first time ever have a chance to see them play. I'm all giddy.

I'm gonna get Billy's IP and send him net messages on his computer! PLAY PITTSBURGH!

You don't like Tool but you're all excited about this? :lol

Buddy, you should really stay away from the Tool thread.

Diablos

Manics said:
You don't like Tool but you're all excited about this? :lol

Buddy, you should really stay away from the Tool thread.
What kind of ignorant comment is that?

I've already posted in the Tool thread and actually helped you with something, BE APPRECIATIVE OF MY EFFORTS. And I don't even like 10,000 days.

Now shoo!

Manics

Banned
Diablos said:
What kind of ignorant comment is that?

I've already posted in the Tool thread and actually helped you with something, BE APPRECIATIVE OF MY EFFORTS. And I don't even like 10,000 days.

Now shoo!

Yawn.

Maynard > Corgan

Diablos

That's great.

Now go back to the Tool thread and have ten other people concur that you're re-fixed post was right. I know it'll make you feel better.

Can't you do better than this? Go away.

Manics

Banned
Diablos said:
That's great.

Now go back to the Tool thread and have ten other people concur that you're re-fixed post was right. I know it'll make you feel better.

Can't you do better than this? Go away.

cry2fa.png

Diablos

Maybe they'll tour together, like the old days (SP opened for GNR back in the day).
I doubt it. It's not like SP is some small opening act now.

Dead

well not really...yet
So am I actually the only person here who likes Machina 1?

Album gets too much hate. Production is crazy for sure, and it could've been trimmed by at least a few songs, but I still really like it. A lot of the songs just give off a vibe totally different than anything else they've ever done, somehow a lot more uplifting, if not in the lyrics necessarily then in the music.

Dead said:
So am I actually the only person here who likes Machina 1?

Album gets too much hate. Production is crazy for sure, and it could've been trimmed by at least a few songs, but I still really like it. A lot of the songs just give off a vibe totally different than anything else they've ever done, somehow a lot more uplifting, if not in the lyrics necessarily then in the music.

i'm in the vast minority that loved machina and hope that he continues on that production style and ignores the haters. just layers and layers of guitars that don't sound like guitars yet not quite like synthesizers. and then there's jimmy's 'army-march' drumming ... its just an amazing album and i think it'll be indicative of how music will sound in about 20 years

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, the crazy production which is often cited as being the reason as to why so many people hate it, is something I actually like, and actually just like you mentioned, the way the guitars are layered over each other is really something else.

Diablos

Yeah, Jimmy's drumming is amazing. I love how, during The Everlasting Gaze for example, there's this huge noisy wall of chaos during the chorus, and Jimmy just pummels through it. And his part isn't even mixed in that loud.

The sound you define was executed much better in Machina 2 IMO. Machina 2 is what Machina should sound like. But, since it isn't exactly the same, it's all the more diverse and for the fans to talk about and like or dislike in their own way.

I agree with you and Dead, the production IS awesome, but I think Machina 2 is the better exmaple. Machina 1 is too... loud. Kind of sloppy in that regard. But a couple months ago I did give it a full listen for the first time in over a year, and it's better than I thought it was.

Red Scarlet said:
Oops, I didn't listen to it. Is that what it was? An official concert bootleg?
No, it's an album, plus three EP's. SP gave it out for free.

Machina's production nearly ruined the songs that were Corgan-worthy.

Songwriting on HMM, TEG, I of the Mourning, and The Imploding Voice is an insult to the real Smashing Pumpkins. If they release another Machina, they need to change the band's name to "Glass and the Ghost Children"... I know Billy feels the need to constantly switch styles to remain "fresh," but I think his working to be different on each album gets in the way of the music sometimes. With each release removed from Adore, my interest wanes more and more--I hope any new material reverses that trend.

That said, with a more MCIS/Adore style of production, Age of Innocence, SIYL, WEL, This Time carried the album even more than they did. And at the end of the day, they're still gonna kick live, if they ever come near me ever again.

IJoel

Manics said:
Maynard > Corgan.

Re-fixed.

hahaha in your dreams...

Corgan >>>> Maynard

I actually happened to like 10,000 Days, though PJ's new album schools it.

Pearl Jam > 10,000 Days

:p

As for Machina I, I also liked it a lot. On the other hand, Adore really doesn't do it for me. It has some great songs, but overall it just doesn't do it.

So Lollapalooza is going to be announcing more acts TOMORROW. What do you think the chances that one of the new acts will be Smashing Pumpkins? I am seriously crossing my fingers because if there is any band that is appropriate it is Smashing Pumpkins.

edit: But Lollapalooza is now in Chicago's Grant Park and is a one shot deal. Completely different arrangement and something that would really be a great springboard to relaunch a band on. I know Billy loves Chicago too.

BigGreenMat said:
So Lollapalooza is going to be announcing more acts TOMORROW. What do you think the chances that one of the new acts will be Smashing Pumpkins? I am seriously crossing my fingers because if there is any band that is appropriate it is Smashing Pumpkins.

That would actually be quite interesting, after the way they've painted their 94 run.

Teknopathetic said:
The Tool Army's on the march.

Such an apt name for their rabid fans.
Oh, I get it
Urban Dictionary said:
Tool - n.

Someone who is easily manipulated by others, because they substitute the judgment and/or approval of others for their own. The others can be admired friends, strangers or potential mates whose approval the tool seeks. Especially in interpersonal situations, the tool will seek approval from the other, but fail to exercise their own judgment about whether the other person is good or right for them. Alternately, the tool will allow public figures, advertising, or other mass media to replace or form their own opinions on any number of subjects -- most evident in fashion and music choices (often fads or heavily marketed products of suspect quality or style). Somewhat less obvious are tools whose opinions on current events are parroted from sources thought by the tool to be reliably correct -- if you don't follow current events, or didn't come across the original source, you might not realize they hadn't actually given their opinion much thought beyond memorizing the highlights. The recurring theme is that the tool avoids using their own judgment, sometimes even failing to acquire an ersatz opinion; instead just seeking approval. The tool is an open field for anyone who would like to use them for their own purposes. When they choose very poorly, it is obvious to most that the tool has been manipulated and was foolish to have allowed it. Usually singular in actual usage, but sometimes phrases like 'tool shed' or 'hardware store' are used to refer to groups seen as clearly lacking common sense.

a) Did you hear that guy? "Brown is the new black"? What a tool.

b) That tool paid for her fancy dinners all over town for *at least two months* and only kissed her like once!

c) staff in a hotel: "Who rented out the Pacific Room this weekend?" "'Real Estate Riches' seminar, free admission." "Ha, that'll be a tool barn."

Diablos

Some new info from a guy in Paris that read an interview with Jimmy:

Hello,

In a recent French drum magazine, Jimmy announced the reunion of the band with the following informations :
- They've been rehearsing for a year now
- They've been working on more than 50 songs

And apparently, he took it bad when he was asked about the other original members coming back or not.

Scans will follow with more details.

:D

Waiting for scans. But here's the magazine:
http://www.info-presse.fr/revue/batterie-magazine_M5814.htm#

But seriously, if James doesn't come back, then it's gonna make Corgan's claim that "James Iha broke up the Pumpkins" look 100x more legitimate...

Furthermore, if he's so disgusted that he doesn't want to come back, why can't he just go to Spin and say that it was a lie? It's not a very hard thing to do. Seeing as how he writes for the publication from time to time, I'm sure all he needs to do is make one phone call or e-mail.

I was very skeptical at first when Billy said it, but when James had to get his brand new best friends in APC to speak for him (pathetic), and say stupid stuff like (not exact quote) "I'm sure Billy needs a lot of medication, and we don't understand why he said that," I wasn't so skeptical anymore. What's holding James back? Speak up, dude!

PotatoeMasher said:
That said, with a more MCIS/Adore style of production, Age of Innocence, SIYL, WEL, This Time carried the album even more than they did. And at the end of the day, they're still gonna kick live, if they ever come near me ever again.
Yeah... I really hope they come here as well. I'll be so bummed if they don't.

Also, from blamonet:

99.3cfox anounced this morning that the smashing pumpkins will be headlining Lolapalooza in Chicago

99.3thefox has always been a reliable source for music and concert information cfox.com
I'm calling bullshit though.

i wish james would come back as well :(

but, bottom line is that it has always been billy corgans band, and james iha is technically "replaceable", whereas billy corgan is not. as long as i gets me some new SP i am happy, no matter the lineup

man i really hope the new album makes it before the year's end but i'm not giving my hopes up; billy's expressed his disdain for releasing albums around the holiday season because that a hectic time of year to give press junkets and whatnot.

but here's hoping anyway

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i wish james would come back as well :(

but, bottom line is that it has always been billy corgans band, and james iha is technically "replaceable", whereas billy corgan is not. as long as i gets me some new SP i am happy, no matter the lineup
I dunno, James did some awesome stuff live...

Hey studio peeps, what does this mean?

Sonic Circus said:
Billy Corgan recently requested a rare Neve 8014 loaded with 16- 1073Ãs and 2254E compressors to be shipped overnight for delivery to Chicago Recording for tracking on his latest project. Two new Chandler TG1 EMI style compressors were also shipped for evaluation by Alan Moulder, Corgan, and the engineer crew at The Chicago Recording Company.

http://www.soniccircus.com/news/previousnews.html

TFE was meh. A100! A100!!! thats all I rant and rave about. That song is fuckin sweet. NuPumpkins need to adopt that song and rock that shit live.

Infinitemadness said:
TFE was meh. A100! A100!!! thats all I rant and rave about. That song is fuckin sweet. NuPumpkins need to adopt that song and rock that shit live.

A100 was without a doubt the best thing on TFE. It even translated well live without Jimmy.

Top Bottom