• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Reese-015

Very strange... I'm sort of starting to dig this album now. Fucking hated it at first. Rarely ever happens to me that I flip like this. It's actually pretty good to me now. Still kinda more generic than all other Pumpkins stuff but not bad at all.

Very strange... I'm sort of starting to dig this album now. Fucking hated it at first. Rarely ever happens to me that I flip like this. It's actually pretty good to me now. Still kinda more generic than all other Pumpkins stuff but not bad at all.
Like it or hate it I certainly wouldn't call it generic...

Yuterald

It's the only song on the album I consider boring and the only one I'm inclined to skip.

Ah, gotcha. I think I know/see what you mean. All and One definitely doesn't have any distinct parts/changes in it, but the chorus just triggers all the right signals in my brain. It's an addictive song for me, almost intoxicating. I literally listened to it for like 4 hours straight at work the other day.

ATF487

one and all is probably my favorite song on the album

Same here, which makes sense considering it sounds much more like the old Pumpkins than most of what they've released since reuniting.

Just read the AMA with Billy, I hope that Zwan box set gets sorted out soon. I want a studio version of Chrysanthemum!

Dead

well not really...yet
Im listening to the new Stern interview, I had no idea Brad Wilke is touring with with Billy on drums.

Same here, which makes sense considering it sounds much more like the old Pumpkins than most of what they've released since reuniting.

Just read the AMA with Billy, I hope that Zwan box set gets sorted out soon. I want a studio version of Chrysanthemum!

In all honesty, the unreleased Zwan stuff is my most looked forward material in all of this process. I need it.

Ah, gotcha. I think I know/see what you mean. All and One definitely doesn't have any distinct parts/changes in it, but the chorus just triggers all the right signals in my brain. It's an addictive song for me, almost intoxicating. I literally listened to it for like 4 hours straight at work the other day.

Fair to say my opinion will probably change the more I listen to it, as it did with Being Beige.

Dead

well not really...yet
just finished the stern interview. Im sure people are already giving shit to Billy speaking his mind on bands like Pearl jam or Foo Fighters...

...but he's right on the fucking money. Total agreement.

Yuterald

Yo, I've never listened to a single Zwan piece/album...I think I just dismissed the idea of the band when I was younger, but I'm more open to stuff nowadays, so should I rectify that mistake? haha

Yuterald

They did some amazing things. Certainly this performance is better than anything you'd see out of SP right now.

Cool, I'll check this out late...

But wait, there's only 1 Zwan album!? lol

I'm so out of the loop on this band. Just went to their wiki page and read about its history a bit. So there's only one official album and a butt load of unreleased stuff?

That feel when you look forward to Zwan material more than a new SP album.

Feels bad, man.

In all fairness, a lot of the unreleased Zwan material is some of my favorite work Billy has ever done. So much good stuff there. I've been a fan pretty much from the beginning of this dude's career.

And just three months after this they announced the split. Such a shame, as Zwan was a worthy follow-up to the Pumpkins.

They were great live (saw them 5 times). The album, as would be a sign of things to come, had awful production. I have a lot of the live stuff and it's really great.

I just don't understand Billy's thought process on studio work

Cool, I'll check this out late...

But wait, there's only 1 Zwan album!? lol

I'm so out of the loop on this band. Just went to their wiki page and read about its history a bit. So there's only one official album and a butt load of unreleased stuff?

The album also came with a Vieuphoria-like DVD that was fantastic as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yassKn6SBRA

They were great live (saw them 5 times). The album, as would be a sign of things to come, had awful production. I have a lot of the live stuff and it's really great.

I just don't understand Billy's thought process on studio work

It wasn't perfect, but I found it an improvement over Machina.

edit: Listening to the bonus DVD for the first time in a few years and the songs are just so good. I miss that Billy.

Diablos

I really enjoyed seeing Zwan live. The Djali Zwan stuff was fantastic.
IT'S YOU

In all fairness, a lot of the unreleased Zwan material is some of my favorite work Billy has ever done. So much good stuff there. I've been a fan pretty much from the beginning of this dude's career.
Oh, I know. I feel bad because it ultimately speaks more to what Billy Corgan is doing as a musician, not what band he's in.

And really if you think about it Zwan could have just been SP because, as we all know, the 2007 reboot of the band was just Billy and Jimmy plus other people... just like Zwan.

DiscoJon

Banned
Yep. Also went down to Portland.

Nice. It always pissed me off going to Seattle Smashing Pumpkins/Zwan shows and then hearing about how much better the Portland show was the next day. I always wondered if there was a certain incident to make Billy go: "Yo, fuck Seattle. Let's go out and half ass the show."

Nice. It always pissed me off going to Seattle Smashing Pumpkins/Zwan shows and then hearing about how much better the Portland show was the next day. I always wondered if there was a certain incident to make Billy go: "Yo, fuck Seattle. Let's go out and half ass the show."

The Machina tour show at the Paramount was bad. Corgan was trying to tell a story about Try Try Try but the crowd didn't care. So neither did Corgan from that point.

I'd seen them in Seattle a ton between 1993 and 2000 and the shows were always good before that incident.

DiscoJon

Banned
The Machina tour show at the Paramount was bad. Corgan was trying to tell a story about Try Try Try but the crowd didn't care. So neither did Corgan from that point.

I'd seen them in Seattle a ton between 1993 and 2000 and the shows were always good before that incident.
I was at the Paramount show in 2000 as well.

I saw the Zeitgeist tour in Louisville, KY and it was great other than what felt like a 20 minute jam on the Pink Floyd cover he was doing then. Lost the crowd during that, but it probably made the encore better.

I saw the Zeitgeist tour in Louisville, KY and it was great other than what felt like a 20 minute jam on the Pink Floyd cover he was doing then. Lost the crowd during that, but it probably made the encore better.

set the controls to the heart of the sun was just a really poor choice for that set of shows or within any SP setlist they had. i love pink floyd and i do like that song but it doesn't belong in a pumpkins setlist live. i hate when bands absolutely kill momentum in a show. it's like dominating in a football game and then one of your players fumbles the ball away and it takes the air out of the team

set the controls to the heart of the sun was just a really poor choice for that set of shows or within any SP setlist they had. i love pink floyd and i do like that song but it doesn't belong in a pumpkins setlist live. i hate when bands absolutely kill momentum in a show. it's like dominating in a football game and then one of your players fumbles the ball away and it takes the air out of the team

I usually like their long jams live, but seeing this one in person did nothing for me. Saw Gossamer live twice and it was a legitimate life highlight. Love, love, love, that song.

I usually like their long jams live, but seeing this one in person did nothing for me. Saw Gossamer live twice and it was a legitimate life highlight. Love, love, love, that song.

Yeah—I'm a jam band sort of person (listen to lots of Grateful Dead, New Grass Revival and those sorts while I work), but Set the Controls… was just tedious.

Diablos

I saw them in Pittsburgh. It was an incredible show.

Here's something to wash the taste of Monuments out of your mouth.
Mullet With Butterfly Wings
This is actually amazing, no hyperbole. Wow!

Seeing them tonight for their surprise LA show at the Fonda that didn't sell out until a bit ago.

I wonder if it's just people don't care or the information wasn't shared in a decent manner.

Either way, I have no idea what to expect and haven't seen them since pre Oceania at the Wiltern where they crushed it when I expected the opposite: Billy being a dick and talking shit to the audience just as he did at their anniversary shows.

Just Tiberius live!

Macam

Banned
What is happening...

BC said:
Do you think you’ve suffered from false narratives throughout your career?

I think that’s obvious. I’m laughing because I thought for sure I would get really strong reviews for our new album [Monuments to an Elegy], based on all the feedback I was getting. But I’m getting the same reviews I got back in the day, these kind of middling, muddling reviews that just won’t fucking say: “This is a fucking brilliant album from a brilliant artist.” It’s always got to have a qualifier to it. So my point is this: I made, according to most people, two classic albums in my life. But go back and read those reviews – I got the same type of reviews then as I’m getting now! People assume we got great reviews back then – we got shit reviews. So it’s weird because this is like: “Here I go again.” I strike on to something fresh, fans are going fucking nuts, everyone’s excited, and we’ve got to have some fucking guy going: “Oh I don’t know how to feel about this.” [...]

I don’t understand why you’re bothered by what critics think if fans are liking the record.

It’s bad for business. If you’re Martin Scorsese and you’ve got a new picture coming out, you want good reviews, because then more people see your film. So if you make a good album then you deserve a fair review of your work, especially after being in the culture for 25 fucking years. But I realise now I’m not going to get my due from that culture. The three leading gatekeepers – Q, NME, The Guardian or whoever – they all wrote three-star fucking reviews. It’s not a three-star fucking record. Nobody believes it’s a three-star record. Nobody! OK, these people obviously did, so maybe I shouldn’t be so absolute. But I’ve been in this business for 25 years and there is nobody in it who believes this is a three-star record. Nobody!

Who are we talking about here?

I’ve talked to, like, 500 people in the last fucking four months about the record!

But aren’t they likely to say that to your face?

Oh fuck off! Seriously now … that’s a stupid thing to say. Seriously. You’re basically saying that I’m willing to be coddled. Do I seem like someone who wants to be coddled? Am I coddling you? I’m telling you that bad press is bad for business and now I’m setting myself up for more bad press by being a real jerk … but I’m doing this to show you that I’m a real person. At the bottom of it, I don’t give a fuck; if I gave a fuck I wouldn’t make this kind of music and I’d be sitting here saying all the right things, like a pop star. I was watching a Die Antwoord live performance the other day and at one point Ninja’s on the mic and he goes, “Fuck the system, we’re going to build our own fucking system!” And that’s how I feel, and that’s why he’s a fucking prophet.

This goes on and on. The interviewer asks some rather shit questions to be sure, but, man, BC comes off with a real chip on his shoulder. Critics can be critics, but it's, frankly, a three-star album, if that.

Curufinwe

Corgan is what we used to call "well balanced" back in New Zealand. Chips on both shoulders.

But if SD and MCIS really got shit reviews at the time as he claims, then that was ridiculous.

25th anniversary show had a long ass jam that supposedly had "suffer" and a cover of the sound of silence peppered in and I honestly couldn't hear any of it.

Great show beside that part, they came out with no opener and ended with Age Of Innocence, pretty sweet.

Oreoleo

Corgan is what we used to call "well balanced" back in New Zealand. Chips on both shoulders.

But if SD and MCIS really got shit reviews at the time as he claims, then that was ridiculous.

I never read the review personally, but I remember a bootleg from a Metro show in '93 after SD came out and Billy is complaining on mic that a writer for the Chicago Sun Times put down the album (perhaps Hummer in particular?) because the lyrics were 'sophomoric,' so the claim isn't exactly without merit.

¡HarlequinPanic!;143862937 said:
25th anniversary show had a long ass jam that supposedly had "suffer" and a cover of the sound of silence peppered in and I honestly couldn't hear any of it.

Great show beside that part, they came out with no opener and ended with Age Of Innocence, pretty sweet.

I think you are thinking of The March Hare (Though they played Sound of Silence as well). I think I was at the show where it was played for the first time and hearing the Suffer tease in the middle of the song was a great surprise. March Hare was a great jam and showcase of Jimmy's drumming, really wish they would have laid that one down in the studio.

What is happening...

This goes on and on. The interviewer asks some rather shit questions to be sure, but, man, BC comes off with a real chip on his shoulder. Critics can be critics, but it's, frankly, a three-star album, if that.

Jesus, this is awful. I'm usually a big BC apologist but sometimes he really is as bad as a lot of people claim.

The interviewer is definitely setting him up for a fall by asking some very leading questions, especially the Columbine and "narrative" shit, and BC falls for it hook line and sinker. I'd say calling this a chip on his shoulder is being generous - he's coming across as the whiniest, most entitled brat. I've always known him to feel entitled to recognition on some level, because his music is damn good and why not if we're still talking about bands like Nirvana or Pearl Jam? SP always kinda got left out of those conversations and I agree that it's regrettable, but the world really doesn't owe us shit, especially not aging musicians who already got their years of fame and fortune. He's saying two very contradictory things here: that he doesn't give a shit what people think and that he's pissed off about not being invited to the big kid's table of rock n' roll. Which is it? You can't drone on about how there's a narrative bent on denying you critical recognition and then come around and say you don't care, because it's the only thing you can think about.

Really depressing. So glad there's a new wave of SP-tier alt-rock like The Joy Formidable or Silversun Pickups who manage to make the music and not turn into complete dicks.

So it’s weird because this is like: “Here I go again.” I strike on to something fresh, fans are going fucking nuts, everyone’s excited, and we’ve got to have some fucking guy going: “Oh I don’t know how to feel about this.”

the fans are going fucking nuts eh? alright bill

fritolay

Metacritic has MTAE metascore at 69, user score at 79.

Run2Me - I wonder if someone thought hey this song will get on a Honda commercial or will play at stadiums to get some $

Top Bottom