• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Dead

well not really...yet
Honestly, that is great to see because at least that confirms that Billy has not fucked up his relationship with Jimmy in the same way as James.

def gonna go see the long island show now. The first time I saw them play with Mike they did some songs that really needed Jimmy on the cans like Geek USA (mike did okay with it, better than expected), so hope they utilize his presence on this brief tour to really bring the heat.

Diablos

I watched a few of the songs and you can just hear and feel it's a different band with him on the sticks. He needs to come back full time. Whatever it takes william!
Common sense -- like not asking him to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOq0XIwpQg

Stand Inside Your Love sounds great.

Jeff has really earned his keep in SP as a full-time member. No disrespect to James, but Jeff can carry his own and then some.

These sets are surprisingly minimalist lately. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though. I do want more SP-bashing-your-face-in like we got at times in 2007 up until Chamberlin's departure in 2009 (or was it 2010, well, whatever).

Who is the bassist btw?

Oreoleo

It really cannot be overstated how different the band sounds with Jimmy back behind the kit.

That said, the full set list is kinda disappointing. So many singles. Ruby is nice though.

Cherub Rock
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Tonight, Tonight
Ava Adore
Drum + Fife
One and All
The Everlasting Gaze
Zero
The Crying Tree of Mercury
Mayonaise
Disarm
Landslide [Nicks]
Run2Me
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
Stand Inside Your Love
United States
Today

And I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Who played first, SP or Manson?

Chamberlin's departure in 2009 (or was it 2010, well, whatever).

Yeah it was early 2009, shortly after the 20th anniversary tour in fall of 2008.

Oreoleo

I saw a rollingstone.com review that made it seem like the Pumpkins played last

Good call, here's the direct link for anyone interested: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...mpkins-soar-at-end-times-tour-opener-20150708

It does seem SP played last, exactly how it should be >:)

I'm pessimistic I'll be able to catch a show on this tour, but at least Jimmy and SP are bringing the heat. Wonder if there will be any bootlegs, now that everyone just records shit with their smartphone.

REALLY hope Jimmy and Billy buried the hatchet and he sticks around long-term. It's not the same band without him.

Good call, here's the direct link for anyone interested: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...mpkins-soar-at-end-times-tour-opener-20150708

It does seem SP played last, exactly how it should be >:)

I'm pessimistic I'll be able to catch a show on this tour, but at least Jimmy and SP are bringing the heat. Wonder if there will be any bootlegs, now that everyone just records shit with their smartphone.

REALLY hope Jimmy and Billy buried the hatchet and he sticks around long-term. It's not the same band without him.

Billy has to hear the difference. There's just no way he doesnt

Curufinwe

Jimmy has a business he doesn't want to leave permanently.

Chamberlin, who now runs a tech company called LiveOne in Chicago, says Corgan called him about the challenges of filling the drum chair. "He asked if there was any way I'd consider coming back for the tour," Chamberlin says. "It's a great opportunity not only to celebrate the music, but to celebrate the friendship and the legacy."

Corgan and Chamberlin haven't made any plans together beyond the 24-date tour, set to end Aug. 9 in Nashville. "That's the only way it works for me," Chamberlin says. "I've got a commitment to LiveOne; that remains my priority right now."

Oreoleo

Jimmy has a business he doesn't want to leave permanently.

Ehhhhh, if he can take 2 months off to rehearse and tour, he can do the same thing when it comes time to record an album. Maybe having the business on the side will distract him enough to not be bothered about having less creative control over the band like it did in the past. I remain hopeful.

Diablos said:
Ugh, that was awesome.

Rolling Stone also says SP played the best set; Manson took his too seriously and it just didn't jive with the crowd. I never liked Manson. I think SP is too good to be touring with that band, especially in 2015.

Also based on crowd reaction alone, Billy would have to be lying to himself if he does not now see the importance of having Chamberlin back in the band.

Wow, Jimmy. https://youtu.be/xCxw9m8dea0?list=PLujkdDYKKNku34ZvREfgXM4WFbRGwBJ_Q

but if you look at the comments from that article, there were people who were (apparently) there and said manson actually put on a good show. i've seen manson 5 times or so and he always put on a really great performance.... although the last time i saw him was in 2000 so maybe he fell off the deep end. his shows during mechanical animals were absolutely great but SP has always been the better live show.

and that jimmy perfomance... dang. united states isn't one of my top SP songs but his perfomrance on that song is probably one of his top 5 drummed songs and that is saying something

Cannot be overstated how key Jimmy is to this band. Billy, James & D'arcy were great during the post-Jimmy MCIS tour and Adore (love many of those shows), but Billy alone just isn't Smashing Pumpkins.

Billy was doing a periscope from his room across from the beach the other day and said they hadn't discussed anything beyond the tour but it seemed like he'd be open to it. As he should be.

Guys.

They played Geek USA last night B)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdHNyUI6DBY
According to SPFC it's only the 3rd time it's been played with Jimmy since '99.

You have good taste

12d52d35f84cce17d7709d04a0480de5.gif

god dammit i hate myself for not going. sounds so good!

Diablos

Guys.

They played Geek USA last night B)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdHNyUI6DBY
According to SPFC it's only the 3rd time it's been played with Jimmy since '99.
omg this is amazing. This should be played at every show Jimmy is in from now on.

He definitely makes that song.
He does, but the riff is pretty awesome too. It's so loud, intense and energetic, and the way Jimmy plays off it and enhances the intensity is incredible. After Billy's last lyric it gets even heavier. United States is one of their best songs -- especially live. It's perfectly crafted for the BC/JC formula.

Billy was doing a periscope from his room across from the beach the other day and said they hadn't discussed anything beyond the tour but it seemed like he'd be open to it. As he should be.
This might sound rude, but Billy needs to stop being so dramatic about how he sees the band/who he wants in the band/blah blah, realize he is almost 50 years old (not getting or looking any younger), and just spend as much time as possible in the Pumpkins keeping it the best it can be, which means having Jimmy in the band as much as possible. Period, end of story. As a fan I just am so tired of him always wanting to justify decisions that never made any sense to begin with, like replacing Jimmy with a 19 year old kid who is better suited for a minimalist indie rock band.

Really, he should see by now that the vast majority of people who still listen to this band want SP to be Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin at the core. Given how deep their musical connection is, this isn't asking for much, still giving Corgan free reign to micromanage the rest of the band, its revolving door, and how he wants all of those people to play a role.

Oreoleo

He does, but the riff is pretty awesome too. It's so loud, intense and energetic, and the way Jimmy plays off it and enhances the intensity is incredible. After Billy's last lyric it gets even heavier. United States is one of their best songs -- especially live. It's perfectly crafted for the BC/JC formula.

Have you heard how Brad Wilk was playing United States? Shit was laughable.. Idk why they'd ever play that song with anyone but Jimmy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDKh972zdEU&t=51m35s

Macam

Banned
LOL

The look on his face... "Oh man, I can't do this... FUCK"

Saw this earlier in the year and, having seen that entire set, he has that look pretty much the entire time. I like Wilk and all, but SP's material seems outta his wheelhouse.

omg this is amazing. This should be played at every show Jimmy is in from now on.

This might sound rude, but Billy needs to stop being so dramatic about how he sees the band/who he wants in the band/blah blah, realize he is almost 50 years old (not getting or looking any younger), and just spend as much time as possible in the Pumpkins keeping it the best it can be, which means having Jimmy in the band as much as possible. Period, end of story. As a fan I just am so tired of him always wanting to justify decisions that never made any sense to begin with, like replacing Jimmy with a 19 year old kid who is better suited for a minimalist indie rock band.

Really, he should see by now that the vast majority of people who still listen to this band want SP to be Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin at the core. Given how deep their musical connection is, this isn't asking for much, still giving Corgan free reign to micromanage the rest of the band, its revolving door, and how he wants all of those people to play a role.

Well Jimmy has his own business now and basically did this as a favor to Billy since the drummer they were planning on didn't work out.

anyone see any of the tour with manson? They just passed me in NYC but I was too busy moving into a new apartment to make the show.

Glad I caught the last time jimmy was in the band for the 20th anniversary show :[

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck I had no idea Jimmy was touring. FUCK

Please Jimmy, please...just one more album.....I NEED A HIT

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
¡HarlequinPanic!;173980188 said:
sorry Gouty but I"m afraid that they're already got Travis Barker on tap for the next album

I'm.......actually ok with this. Travis is a great drummer. Granted, I'd rather have Jimmy but Billy could have done a hell of a lot worse.

Spaced33

¡HarlequinPanic!;173937321 said:
anyone see any of the tour with manson? They just passed me in NYC but I was too busy moving into a new apartment to make the show.

Glad I caught the last time jimmy was in the band for the 20th anniversary show :[

Caught them in Tampa and also did the VIP. Both Manson and the Pumpkins were friggin amazing. Soooo good. I'm a big fan of both, so this was like a dream show for me. Sorry to hear that you missed this tour. It is/was KILLER.

This was my second pumpkins show and even though Mike Byrne did a good job when I saw them the first time, man, what a difference to hear the Pumpkins sound like themselves with Jimmy back on the kit. I was so happy I could cry.

Top Bottom