• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OH MY GOD! LOOK! ASH VIDEOS!

PolyGone

Banned
Teasel said:
so can anyone explain how the game works based on those 2 movies?

movement and battle require AP, so if you use too much AP moving on the grid, you can't fight. Some characters can attack from a distance but others need to be adjacent to the enemy party. Parties on the map are represented by the "Leader", but can have up to 3 characters. You can mix and match characters in each party, which have up to 3 characters including a "Leader". Once you attack, you can choose specific actions for each character. It seems to me every character in the attacking party gets 1 turn, similar to Fire Emblem and other SRPGs. At least, thats what I got from the videos.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Jonnyram said:
10/4 ASH
10/25 FFTA2
11/22 DQIV
12/20 FFIV

Jesus fuggin' kerrrist.

really crazy...

btw. no tales of love ?

is Inazuma eleven also this year ?

Definitely it looks great. Nice to see that good games are sill coming for DS. Only Nintendo seems to have slowed down a little bit in order to concentrate more on Wii.

Jonnyram said:
10/4 ASH
10/25 FFTA2
11/22 DQIV
12/20 FFIV

Jesus fuggin' kerrrist.

This is the Square-Enix Fiesta. Definitely DS will skyrocket once again.

ethelred

Jonnyram said:

Well, it's not on the same level as something like ASH (which is holyfuckawesome), but then, neither is FFT A2. It might be good, though!

OliveJuice said:
Good use of CG, but the combat seems like it will be too drawn out and take too long.

The overdrive-like attacks were a bit long, but it didn't seem that normal attacks and spells took that long to play out.

IzumiK

Banned
I don't know, I don't feel too excited. I don't really like the AP idea because one overpowered character could do all the actions, or that's what I see in there.

I also feel the battle is drawn out more than it should.

And is it just my flashplayer or they look like pixelated blobs?

PolyGone

Banned
ethelred said:
The overdrive-like attacks were a bit long, but it didn't seem that normal attacks and spells took that long to play out.

yeah, I'm more concerned about the stylus controls. I hope this isn't one of those "stylus only" games...

IzumiK said:
And is it just my flashplayer or they look like pixelated blobs?

definitely just the video resolution. Look at the scans thread, the game looks fantastic.

Weird, the CG as animated sprites gives the game some sort of weird claymation look, like clayfighters or... what was it called, primal rage? back in the 16bit days. Looks nice though, a little strange, but nice.

bigswords

Shit that looks really hot for a DS game I'm glad it will take awhile to translate this to English too many games this holiday :)

Jiggy

Aisya's special attack gave me a Valkyrie Profile kind of vibe--which is a good thing, since VP is about the only turn-based RPG I can think of that had lengthy special attack animations that never wore on me.

ethelred

Jiggy37 said:
Aisya's special attack gave me a Valkyrie Profile kind of vibe--which is a good thing, since VP is about the only turn-based RPG I can think of that had lengthy special attack animations that never wore on me.

I really liked the special attack used by Maritie in that GameTrailers video. It reminded me, stylistically, of the level 4 Black Blade Rune spell in Suikoden II.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
siamesedreamer said:
Someone on 1up Yours podcast (Garnett) said this was the best looking DS game.

That tends to happen with prerendered backgrounds and high polygon characters.

Assuming that they are even polygons.

Aeris130

Hmm, combat looks pretty slow. Kinda like AW, where you start skipping the animations after the first 2-3 missions.

sphinx

the piano man
(so far) I see a lot more effort put into this game than into Blue Dragon.

I wonder if mistwalker is doing the 360 games just for the money and to fund the games he really likes, like this one.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
sphinx said:
(so far) I see a lot more effort put into this game than into Blue Dragon.

I wonder if mistwalker is doing the 360 games just for the money and to fund the games he really likes, like this one.

For a DS game this easily has one of the biggest budgets, and it is the first to get the 256 MB carts.

But to say they put more effort into this than Blue Dragon is a little odd.

sphinx

the piano man
Hcoregamer00 said:
For a DS game this easily has one of the biggest budgets, and it is the first to get the 256 MB carts.

But to say they put more effort into this than Blue Dragon is a little odd.

I haven't played any of the 2 games. So maybe I am being silly.

but if you give me a blue dragon 2 minutes trailer and a ASH 2 minute trailer, I could tell what game received more love.

just an opinion.

CamHostage

Maybe it'll end up being fun to play, but I just don't like the visual style at all. The different styles and two-screen stand-around animations just seem so disjointed to me. Pick a menu option, watch a video, count the points... I know that FF has been doing this for years, but it felt somewhat real in FF since it was in-engine, whereas this, I'd be pounding the buttons going "skip the cinematic, skip the cinematic..."

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OMG! I was just wishing for this! *goes to watch*

Edit: Mistwalker fucking owned me, to think I thought the characters were going to be static during battle.

Mato

I hate srpgs. I was eager to hear more about this ever since they first showed it. Interest plummets

PolyGone

Banned
CamHostage said:
Maybe it'll end up being fun to play, but I just don't like the visual style at all. The different styles and two-screen stand-around animations just seem so disjointed to me. Pick a menu option, watch a video, count the points... I know that FF has been doing this for years, but it felt somewhat real in FF since it was in-engine, whereas this, I'd be pounding the buttons going "skip the cinematic, skip the cinematic..."

I agree, but I think the visual style is good - good enough at least, to distract me from how static things are.

jj984jj

PolyGone said:
I agree, but I think the visual style is good - good enough at least, to distract me from how static things are.
Did you even watch the videos?

jj984jj

PolyGone said:
well, I mean when they're just sort of standing there, doing an idle animation... but thats typical for any RPG really...
I see what you meant now. Idle and static are not synonyms, the animations are awesome. If I didn't know that there was a job system I'd be worried that the gameplay would be shallow my-self. Since that's not the case I think ASH will deliver: remarkable presentation, great gameplay, awesome Sakimoto music.

I'm not terribly impressed, I have to admit. Looks beautiful, but also looks like it could get boring quick. Here's hoping that's not the case.

The presentation of this game REALLY doesnt click with me......AP system screams hoshigami, and i really dont like the layout of everything.

Actually i take the hoshigami thing back, the RAP system wasnt even bad in that game, it was the chains, my god the chains.....

Still i cant help but feel underwhelmed at this, is it full voice for the story sequences?

ethelred

Baryn said:
Graphics have been cleaned up a lot.

It still looks like a generic tactics game, thought. :/

What exactly looks so generic here, out of curiousity? There are virtually no RPGs (maybe three ever?) that combine SRPG grid movement and field abilities with traditional party-based RPG combat like this. If it doesn't appeal to you, okay, but generic?

Amir0x

Banned
I really think the game will play nice, but it seems the strategy they went with the visuals was a bad idea... everything looks stiff and unnatural, and just plain ugly. The art design behind the characters and such is pretty nice, but it's not very nice to look at.

Good music and the gameplay seems ace though

TreIII

ethelred said:
What exactly looks so generic here, out of curiousity? There are virtually no RPGs (maybe three ever?) that combine SRPG grid movement and field abilities with traditional party-based RPG combat like this. If it doesn't appeal to you, okay, but generic?

Pretty much. The only other game series that really comes close to what ASH is all about is Ogre Battle (NOT Tactics Ogre!), which only had all of three games. Besides that, who else is there?

But any way, while on the subject of Ogre Battle...I'm liking that this game seemingly is more or less a continuation of what that series started. October is already shaping up to be a good month...and it also helps that my b-day is in that month! :D

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Well that has everything I hate about prerendered graphics all bundled up in one nice little package.

Hope it fun tho.

i bet they could have made some really ace sprites with the energy they spent pre-rendering these nice character designs >_<

Anyway, I bet it will be fun... as said, this will be a fresh air in the strategy RPG genre. Very few do it like this.

CamHostage

It's like for every screen in the game, there's a totally different graphic style and engine. Here's the top-down strategy sequences with this engine and style, then cut to the bad CG characters cycling animation endlessly, then cut to one screen showing a fully-animated FMV, then cut to the hand-drawn win still screen. Maybe it's just the Summons or special attacks I don't like, because the trailer looks a little more cohesive as opposed to that one battle clip.

Top Bottom