• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

I really like the way Oda is handling Law's backstory. As good as most of them all, a lot of them seem to happen when shit's about to go down which is a little frustrating. Franky vs. Señor Pink is amazing. The only thing I didn't like about this chapter was the fact that Zoro vs. Pica isn't over. After an attack like that I don't even care to see Pica anymore. He didn't even do anything this chapter. He just basically appeared and said " Hey I'm still alive." Nothing happened.

I knew the sexism comment would come sooner or later, tbh. lol

and a Tontatta for the crew would be awesome, tbh.
Rooting for Leo.

Crocodile

*Random Thought Time*

I'm not really a follower of One Piece beyond what's been shown on US TV (I'm aware of most of the major events though just because how can you not be if you hang around a lot of people who talk about anime/manga) but to my knowledge there has been no female character who has eaten like the Neko Neko fruit or something right? I dunno why the thought came to my head but it seems like such a quintessentially Japanese thing to do that I'm amused Oda hasn't done it yet (to my knowledge). I'd be quite surprised if the entire series passed without such a character being introduced.

*Random Thought Time*

demidar

Did the tea accidentally burn his only son's face off shortly after his wife's death?

It was his mother because she ate the Tea Tea Fruit and can only live within a teacup as a cup of tea, so not only did he kill his mother, he also stained his carpet.

His son left home to be an accountant.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*Random Thought Time*

I'm not really a follower of One Piece beyond what's been shown on US TV (I'm aware of most of the major events though just because how can you not be if you hang around a lot of people who talk about anime/manga) but to my knowledge there has been no female character who has eaten like the Neko Neko fruit or something right? I dunno why the thought came to my head but it seems like such a quintessentially Japanese thing to do that I'm amused Oda hasn't done it yet (to my knowledge). I'd be quite surprised if the entire series passed without such a character being introduced.

*Random Thought Time*

Lucci is so far the only person to have eaten the Cat Cat Fruit.
Oda tends to defy tradition, hence why there's no catgirl.

You can't rule it out because Zoan type fruits have their own rules. Like chopper has the standard Zoan human fruit power but Sengoku has the "mythical" variant or human model Buddha. So there could be a Zoan type fruit that is Cat Cat Fruit, Model Catgirl that not only has cat qualities but additional mythical qualities that only catgirls have.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You can't rule it out because Zoan type fruits have their own rules. Like chopper has the standard Zoan human fruit power but Sengoku has the "mythical" variant or human model Buddha. So there could be a Zoan type fruit that is Cat Cat Fruit, Model Catgirl that not only has cat qualities but additional mythical qualities that only catgirls have.

If we were going to get a mythical cat fruit we would have gotten it during Alabasta, what with the Egyptian theme and all.

Dugna

I just thought of something......has Zoro told anybody about his past? I mean he said he wants to be the greatest swordsman but I don't he ever actually told people. It doesn't matter to the staw hat crew if he does or not. I mean same goes for Luffy "we" seen his past and everything but I wonder if the crew fully knows.

I just thought of something......has Zoro told anybody about his past? I mean he said he wants to be the greatest swordsman but I don't he ever actually told people. It doesn't matter to the staw hat crew if he does or not. I mean same goes for Luffy "we" seen his past and everything but I wonder if the crew fully knows.

He sort of told Tashigi.

Yeah, Tashigi might be the only one that knows about Kuina and such...

i was wondering lately how much of Nami's past does Luffy know tbh. I remember he went to sleep when Nojiko started the story, but i don't remember if he was actually awake when she finished...

jackal27

Banned
MAN! This arc is just so freaking good. It looks like we still have a ways to go too. I can't wait to see how it ends. I have a feeling this is going to be looked back on as a classic.

789shadow

Banned
Yeah, Tashigi might be the only one that knows about Kuina and such...

i was wondering lately how much of Nami's past does Luffy know tbh. I remember he went to sleep when Nojiko started the story, but i don't remember if he was actually awake when she finished...
That was Zoro who went to sleep. Luffy completely walked away. He doesn't know any of it.

4. Viola also gets a call about the princess and notes that their goal is to find her in the Royal Palace. Ending on showing Manshelly in the palace.

Is that so hard?
After all these years working for Doflamingo, Viola didn't think of just looking around for Mansherry at least once? Anyone with her powers and a bit of curiosity would have figured out where everything is years ago.

I knew the sexism comment would come sooner or later, tbh. lol

and a Tontatta for the crew would be awesome, tbh.
Rooting for Leo.

Ew, please no. I really dislike the Tontatta. I'd take Jinbe joining sooner before that happens. I'd rather not have another "joke" character as we already have Chopper who already believes everything he hears.

ONE PIECE (Vol. 01): Romance Dawn

So this is my third attempt to try and get back into the series, the first time going through the manga while the second time I tried with the anime. As much as I love Ranma 1/2 for getting me into anime and manga, I actually have to give the credit of actually introducing me to anime was in fact ONE PIECE (and before anyone asks, yes, it was the 4Kids dub). Upon watching it, a billion different questions, such as 'Why aren't there voices matching their mouths?', 'Why does that dude have a sword in his mouth?', and 'Why is everyone so friggin' tall?'. As many questions as I had though, I couldn't stop watching it... up until I moved to a new house and didn't have the luxury of cable TV or internet access and totally forgot it existed. I've always loved pirates and pirate lore, and this always looked like a very fun, energized, and unique take on them. Due to the fact that it's easier to read through manga faster than anime, as well as not being sure how accurate the anime is when adapting the storylines, I've decided to start buying and marathon each volume in hopes of catching up by the end of the year. Granted a know a decent chunk of the basics, I'll try going through this with a fresh perspective.
--------------------

This volume is basically Luffy starting on his adventure to find "One Piece" and become King of the Pirates. Before he can do that though, he needs to get himself a crew, and he spends most of this volume just recruiting a single member. This is where Roronoa Zolo Zoro comes into the picture. Zoro is a pirate bounty hunter with a badass name and an even more badass offense in the form of three swords (one in each hand, and one in his mouth. He gets a pretty decent backstory in regards to him wanting to be the greatest swordsman in the world, though it's kinda disappointing when we didn't get to see him in action much. The final chapter introduces Nami and gives us a sneak peak at a new enemy There was also this kid named Koby, but I honestly didn't give a crap about him and I'm glad he left once Zoro joined the group.

I found the villains in this volume to be just OK, despite having really cool designs. That's actually something I really like about the series is the character designs. Even though the series gets a bit of flack for how the a good chunk of the women share the same "impossible hourglass" figure throughout the series, I think there's a decent amount of variety and creativity in this series, with the first villain Alvida being a very "large and in charge" woman in terms of design. I also really like the facial expressions,. They're very exaggerated and funny, in the same vein as Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and sets the tone for the series very well.

Overall this was a fun introduction to the series albeit with one rather uninteresting character. It establishes itself very well for what it is, and I'm expecting more fun in the future.

rouken

Huge One Piece Boat Docks in Hong Kong

yln6gicxtvsvf2xmvbqt.jpg

and look who rose from the ashes!

qlk2do3nl59zob9c859c.jpg

ONE PIECE (Vol. 2): Buggy the Clown

Due to time constrictions and unabashed laziness, I've decided to cut out volume synopsis and just get down to impressions.
--------------------

This volume gave me what I wanted in the first volume: to see Zoro in action. Luffy ends up not doing much in the beginning to being captured, but This volume introduces Nami to the group. Nami is a lady thief who steals from pirates while also being a pretty good navigator and weather forecaster. While she doesn't start off particularly interesting and her tricking Luffy could be seen a mile away, it is funny seeing all her reactions to Luffy's antics and the casual banter between him and Zoro in the face of danger.

Onto the opposing side, this volume also had a really cool villain. I REALLY like Buggy the Clown. Ronald McDonald wishes he could be this badass. Everything from his design to his Devil Fruit abilities is awesome. His second mate Cabaji is pretty cool, too. It takes class to be able to sword fight on a unicycle, and his duel with Zoro was awesome. First Mate Mohji isn't as cool, but I give him props for being both a lion tamer and having the courage to keep his hair in such a stupid fashion. The final pages of this volume tease a proper battle between Luffy and Buggy, so things are going to get really fun.

Overall an improvement over the first volume.

Yeah, just wait till you get to Arlong Park dude! Probably the best material that's part of the East Blue Saga, just so good in a lot of ways...

KillGore

So what are the chances of Zoro not being blind on that one eye? is it possible for him to develop it into something else? I know a lot of OP fans hate people for saying this, because of the sharingan in Naruto, but I was thinking more of him developing Mihawk's especial eyes. At the beginning of the series, they clearly show Mihawk having some special eye advantage. Was that ever explained or was it completely ignored?

Linari

Neo Member
I really think he's blind in that eye. I think Zoro took out his own eye on an oath to Hawkeye.

OR he lost it to one of the monkeys and now Hawkeye won't challenge Zoro because it seems like Hawkeye doesn't like fighting handicapped fighters as seen with Shanks. This is probably the more fuel for motivation to become the greatest swordsman in One Piece

And if or when Oda decides to do a flashback for him explaining it or something. But hey, you never really know with Oda.

Dugna

So what are the chances of Zoro not being blind on that one eye? is it possible for him to develop it into something else? I know a lot of OP fans hate people for saying this, because of the sharingan in Naruto, but I was thinking more of him developing Mihawk's especial eyes. At the beginning of the series, they clearly show Mihawk having some special eye advantage. Was that ever explained or was it completely ignored?

Don't think it was ever explained why Mihawk has such great eyesight most people just kinda accepted he has great eyes, I mean Usopp has great eyes and he has no super powers to think of.

Dugna

One thing I wonder about Zoro and other non fruit users strength is wondering how strong they would be without and with one. I mean Sabo we seen was pretty damn good without one but we haven't seen much of him without it now...so now we don't know his full strength without a fruit. but also kinda makes me wonder how strong zoro would be with a fruit since even though Zoro isn't the brightest in many things he's pretty much a very skilled fighter and would be able to fully utilize most fruits powers if he ever got one.

Those are all ifs though and I'm kinda glad that Oda isn't doing what most shounen manga do and start making the special powers uneventful by just passing them out like candy to each character. Aka Super Saiyan or Bankai etc etc.

i thought oda had planned for
margaret
to have the catcat fruit at some point and had rough sketches till he scrapped it or at least thats i what i remember reading at some point

aechris

Those are all ifs though and I'm kinda glad that Oda isn't doing what most shounen manga do and start making the special powers uneventful by just passing them out like candy to each character. Aka Super Saiyan or Bankai etc etc.

I would argue that he already has. So many people have one now, compared to it being a relatively regular thing now. I understand the connection to the New World and needing to be really strong, but it doesn't feel special anymore.

Tizoc

Don't think it was ever explained why Mihawk has such great eyesight most people just kinda accepted he has great eyes, I mean Usopp has great eyes and he has no super powers to think of.

He does have a 'super power'; he is super resiliant. He got hit by some of the hardest shit ever in much of his fights but he could still get up/survive them.

For that matter, can someone provide a clean image of Usopp holding his fake giant hammer from his fight in the Alabasta arc?

Wonder when we are going to see Sanji again.

More to the point, when are we going to see Sanji be something other than a lovesick clown so he can start kicking things again.

This entire arc has been blueball city and the last few chapters has seen the straw hats playing with an obstacle course and not so much beating up the bad guys.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Out of curiosity, how much did Skypiea or Thriller Bark lasted?

I'm perfectly fine with how Dressrosa is going, tbh.

Here's a list of how many chapters each arc ran (from highest to lowest)

Skypiea: 66
Alabasta: 63
Enies Lobby: 56
Water 7: 53
Fishman Island: 51
Thriller Bark: 48
Punk Hazard: 46
Marineford: 31
Arlong Park: 27
Baratie: 27
Drum Island: 25
Impel Down: 25
Sabaody Archipelago: 24
Syrup Village: 20
Jaya: 19
Long Ring Long Land: 19
Post-War: 17
Little Garden: 15
Orange Town: 14
Amazon Lily: 11
Post-Enies Lobby: 11
Whiskey Peak: 9
Romance Dawn: 7
Loguetown: 5
Return to Sabaody: 5
Reverse Mountain: 5

789shadow

Banned
Really? There are official names? I understand exactly what part of the story he is talking about in all four cases.
Syrup Village is the Captain Kuro arc.
Long Ring Long Land is Davy Back Fight arc
Orange Town is Buggy the Clown arc
Reverse Mountain is Laboon arc

Especially in the case of Syrup Village and Orange Town, where the actual names of the towns weren't revealed until hundreds of chapters later.

Here's a list of how many chapters each arc ran (from highest to lowest)
Fishman Island: 51

I can't believe how much this lasted, for how uninteresting it was...

Well i guess we are really going for the longest arc with dressrosa...

(I was watching the anime today, and i really find it silly how they talk about killing each other and sacrifices when you know, they never get killed. DD probaby will end up alive, Law too (after the gravity, meteors, strings, being shot, etc, this guy is probably immortal). This aspect of the "narrative" kind of bugs me, because i already fell for the Punk Hazard fiasco with the killing mist, i really thought Oda was going to start making things more serious as we are now on the new world, but nope...

Not complaining, i know what i can expect from OP by now.

the best way to read One Piece is via volumes... seeing as the pacing is a little off for the series to fully enjoy it week by week

Plus you get beautiful volume covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom