• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rouken

my god

nBtSkAv.png

also mansherry for next strawhat.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Franky introduced his Nipple Lights in Chapter 605. That came out near the end of 2010.

So if anything, Kill La Kill referenced One Piece. I guess.... I haven't seen it.

Franky/ Sr.Pink interaction was hilarious here.

People feel like Dressrosa is dragging? weird. A lot of shit has happened and i really wouldn't want Oda to rush this, as it looks pretty important overall...

Dugna

Dresrossa still feels newish to many, an big Arc like this taking this much time isn't really new. Didn't Alabasta and Skypeia take longer?

People feel like Dressrosa is dragging? weird. A lot of shit has happened and i really wouldn't want Oda to rush this, as it looks pretty important overall...
I think some people just want Law's flashback or Luffy's fight with Doflamigo. I don't really mind though.

BatDan

I think part of it is that Oda's been taking so many breaks. Not Togashi breaks thankfully, but the weeks off do pile up.
On re-read, Dressrosa would go really fast.

Also, if you go back to Water 7/Enies Lobby, it was always this "slow". The reason it doesn't feel that way is that people usually marathon through and once they catch up... things slow down.
I remember people complaining about Luffy vs Lucci taking forever. Now it's considered one of the best fights in the series.

I think some people just want Law's flashback or Luffy's fight with Doflamigo. I don't really mind though.

Yeah, i guess. But unless Oda throws a twist here and there we all know how it'll end up for Doflamingo though. (though in this arc, we actually have a chance of luffy not being the one taking him "down"... Kaidou, Kyros, Law, etc, a lot of things to factor here. I wish Luffy wasn't really the one, though it'll probably be. It just gives space for people to complain about how all the arcs end up being the same and such)

I think part of it is that Oda's been taking so many breaks. Not Togashi breaks thankfully, but the weeks off do pile up.
On re-read, Dressrosa would go really fast.

Also, if you go back to Water 7/Enies Lobby, it was always this "slow". The reason it doesn't feel that way is that people usually marathon through and once they catch up... things slow down.
I remember people complaining about Luffy vs Lucci taking forever. Now it's considered one of the best fights in the series.

It could be, but i've been reading since marineford (i'm kind of a new fan here) and i feel there have been times that were a lot worse than the ocassional breaks we've recently had ... and for god' sake, the man has to take some healthy breaks (considering one chapter of one piece it's like 3 bleach chapters only on narrative, and artistically are a lot more detailed too).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"The manly battle is starting. "

"NIPPLE LIGHT SPECIAL! "

"DIAPER BOMB!"

once this is all said and done and Doflamingo's empire is in ruins I'm pretty sure Senor Pink and Franky will become bros of the highest order

it was a funny chapter but I am really annoyed that Pica is still alive and that Zoro and him are back to square one

no progress except with the TonTaTas

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

The arc's pace is sorta like Water 7/Enies Lobby and Impel Down/Marineford, so far. The difference is that both those sagas involved a scenery change that made check saga feel fresh halfway through, while all we got was a literal scenery rearrangement. Its not necessarily bad... but its going to feel more bogged down to the reader.

It also doesn't help that there have been 3 separate points where all the plot lines were put on hold while we wait for a particular event. First waiting for Doflamingo vs Law, then for Usopp to defeat Sugar, and now waiting for either the factory to be destroyed or Law's handcuffs to be unlocked. Until one of those two things happen, the plot's going to drag along elsewhere.

Lunar15

This arc is weird.

I like everything that's actually happening, but the pacing of it and where the chapters are starting/ending just doesn't really do any of it justice. It's hard to parse out where anything is taking place, when it's taking place, and if it's going to be all that important moving forward. Oh well, I'm sure the conclusion will be good, Oda usually knocks those out of the park.

It's times like these where I really do wish the anime was a bit better quality, because I think that'd go a long way in helping this arc.

I don't know why this chapter made people feel like there was no forward momentum in the arc. King Riku confirms that the dwarf princess is the one with the power to counter Doflamingo and we see her for the first time. There were much more stodgy points in the war for the best arc I think. But people want to hear Law's emo back story I get that.

Dugna

This arc is fine, but for people who wanted to see Law's backstory I don't blame em. The way that chapter ended seeing Law covered in grenades makes you interested, but then next chapter they just kinda ignore that ever was shown. It'll just be weird if this chapter coming up starts law's flashback after we just got another plotline introduced.

The arc's pace is sorta like Water 7/Enies Lobby and Impel Down/Marineford, so far. The difference is that both those sagas involved a scenery change that made check saga feel fresh halfway through, while all we got was a literal scenery rearrangement. Its not necessarily bad... but its going to feel more bogged down to the reader.

It also doesn't help that there have been 3 separate points where all the plot lines were put on hold while we wait for a particular event. First waiting for Doflamingo vs Law, then for Usopp to defeat Sugar, and now waiting for either the factory to be destroyed or Law's handcuffs to be unlocked. Until one of those two things happen, the plot's going to drag along elsewhere.

I still don't see how it's "dragging along". The one thing i can admit is that the jumps from place to place could be distractive, but, wouldn't be an actual Drag to stay put on just one place for the entire chapter? we are watching how everything's going along... The dude's just trying to dynamize the story while making advances in every "group of people" (considering we even got some part of the crew completely erased for the time being).

This arc is fine, but for people who wanted to see Law's backstory I don't blame em. The way that chapter ended seeing Law covered in grenades makes you interested, but then next chapter they just kinda ignore that ever was shown. It'll just be weird if this chapter coming up starts law's flashback after we just got another plotline introduced.

Isn't that a valid narrative hook? I mean, we are clearly going to get his backstory, but putting it in right now would really mess up the pace of the arc. Oda could even give us his flashback divided into short segments among battles or conversations, in a way that we can join the pieces together, and imo that'd be a nice change.

It's times like these where I really do wish the anime was a bit better quality, because I think that'd go a long way in helping this arc.

Been watching the Punk Hazard adaption and I'd like to think that--Toei quirks aside (BREAST WATERSLIDE)--it's done fairly well.

BatDan

*checks ArlongPark* *sees thread about sexism* Nooooope

Like Luffy declaring war against Big Mom?

Shirahoshi as Poseidon.
The flashback foreshadowing a "great man" that's supposed to show Poseidon the world (so obviously Luffy)
Joy Boy and Noah
Luffy "destroying" Fishman Island (just because it didn't happen then, doesn't mean it's not going to happen).
There's still the lingering issue of racism, but that's most likely going to be a permanent issue.

Dugna

Isn't that a valid narrative hook? I mean, we are clearly going to get his backstory, but putting it in right now would really mess up the pace of the arc. Oda could even give us his flashback divided into short segments among battles or conversations, in a way that we can join the pieces together, and imo that'd be a nice change.

Guess I can agree with that Flashbacks usually make most people groan when they go on for weeks at a time. So a small one here and there while they're fighting would be cool...

Just long flashbacks are expected so I guess that was my point.

789shadow

Banned
I feel like at this point we're just waiting for something to resolve, whether it's Franky vs. Senor Pink, or Zoro vs. Pica, or Luffy and co. getting to the top and facing down Doflamingo. Once one of those things is definitively over I think all the other plot threads should start concluding in quick succession.

Kreed

*checks ArlongPark* *sees thread about sexism* Nooooope

Lets recount what happened in this chapter.

A woman tries to fight franky
Franky kisses her against her will and told her not to take it too seriously
Senor Pink agreed and told her its the only way to shut women up who interfered in two men's fight
The rest of the ladies go gaga over these two men.

Is it too hard for Oda to be a little bit more fair and not be a complete sexist jackass? Add to that every female character needing someone to save them in every arc and the ballooning of nami's and robin's breasts while they have generally gotten more and more useless. Pretty soon they will just be there for fanservice.

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=41490

Don't see anything wrong with the OP, but I'm sure the rest of the thread went downhill fast.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
It would be cool is franky and sanji both got girlfriends this arc...... Especially if she can help him beat senor pink whose been kicking his ass this whole arc

Pimpwerx

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Tontatta join the crew. Maybe Leo. I'd be more convinced if Usopp finds a way to use them in a tag attack. Maybe shoot them at opponents to amplify their already ridiculous strength.

When are we going to get an update on the Sunny? I like Sanji. I also hope Zorro can get a good fight this arc. The Pica fight is mostly happening off panel.

Kinemon's friend is a trip. His ability is cool, but his drawings are hilarious. He'd be awesome on the SHs too, and would actually add a new style. PEACE.

Yeah im really losing interest fast, there are just way way too many new characters getting introduced and so many events going on that I don't care about any of it.

Its really become a chore to read thanks to how dense the chapters are.(compared to Naruto which is terrible but goes by quickly)

cntr

Banned
Yeah im really losing interest fast, there are just way way too many new characters getting introduced and so many events going on that I don't care about any of it.

Its really become a chore to read thanks to how dense the chapters are.(compared to Naruto which is terrible but goes by quickly)

It's the exact opposite for me. When I used to read Naruto and Bleach, I was always amazed at how paltry the chapters were compared to One Piece.

Yes, but the word choice "paltry" implies I think that the denseness is a good thing.
I wasn't giving my opinion on whether denseness itself was good or bad

95% of time I think its a good thing, I love the jam packed stuff like HxH and OP.

its only when I don't find anything compelling that the denseness works against it and it becomes hard to get through.

Welfare

This new chapter was ... wierd to read. That ArlongPark thread sorta sums it up. But still, we get to see Frrrrrrrrranky fight Senor Pink.

Oda, just end the Zoro/Pika fight already. If Pika has something that could defeat Zoro, he should've used it by now.

upandaway

I agree that OP is iffy on that front sometimes, but... I can't say I felt the same from this scene. There were so many more times in the manga where women manipulated men with those things (hell, it happened this arc), and usually in OP men are influenced by women more often than women are influenced by men. If anything, I think women would be more okay with the Franky thing than the other way around, since that exact scene is absurdly common in shoujo.

So I don't get it.

Kreed

Exactly! It's not supposed to be sexist at all...

I think most people know Oda's intent with that scene, but the claim is still valid (which is the case with most things that are unintentionally offensive). But like Tathanen said, as a One Piece fan you have to expect this stuff by now.

Zeppu

I am most offended by the implication that manliness can only be derived from nipple and diaper related moves.

#noallmen

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Tontatta join the crew. Maybe Leo. I'd be more convinced if Usopp finds a way to use them in a tag attack. Maybe shoot them at opponents to amplify their already ridiculous strength.

When are we going to get an update on the Sunny? I like Sanji. I also hope Zorro can get a good fight this arc. The Pica fight is mostly happening off panel.

Kinemon's friend is a trip. His ability is cool, but his drawings are hilarious. He'd be awesome on the SHs too, and would actually add a new style. PEACE.

Ha. It just connects with me that Leo has the perfect devil fruit ability to counter Doflamingo. Stitch stitch fruit vs thread thread fruit.

I think that a Tontatta should join the crew anyway. They need a botanist.

Korosenai

Ha. It just connects with me that Leo has the perfect devil fruit ability to counter Doflamingo. Stitch stitch fruit vs thread thread fruit.

I think that a Tontatta should join the crew anyway. They need a botanist.
"Leo ate a Paramecia-class Devil Fruit, although he refers to it as magic "Nui Nui" Power ("ぬいぬい"の力, Nui Nui no Chikara?) rather than a Devil Fruit. It grants him the ability to stitch things together and un-stitch them like nothing happened.[2]"

Wow, good call. I completely forgot he had a devil fruit.

Can start pushing Leo for nakama now?

789shadow

Banned
"Leo ate a Paramecia-class Devil Fruit, although he refers to it as magic "Nui Nui" Power ("ぬいぬい"の力, Nui Nui no Chikara?) rather than a Devil Fruit. It grants him the ability to stitch things together and un-stitch them like nothing happened.[2]"

Wow, good call. I completely forgot he had a devil fruit.

Can start pushing Leo for nakama now?
Call me when he gets a character specific tragic backstory and a dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom