• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PranooY

so I havent been following arlong park or anything, is there still wild speculation about a new member every time a new arc rolls around?

and if so who is it this time? Rebecca? Law is getting a past flashback and thats usually a sign, but hes too big to join.
I want it to be Barthelomeo, but I don't think so. Don't want Rebecca in the crew though, she isn't funny enough.;)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
so I havent been following arlong park or anything, is there still wild speculation about a new member every time a new arc rolls around?

and if so who is it this time? Rebecca? Law is getting a past flashback and thats usually a sign, but hes too big to join.

Yes to both, and Bartolomeo. Though he's disqualified on the count that his backstory isn't tragic (though the most we got was two years ago... so who knows).

Personally, I'm not a fan of crewmate speculation. I just wait and see what happens.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Indeed.
Shirahoshi being the weapon Poseidon is going to be HUGE later down the line. Seeing as she's on the same threat level as Pluton.

There's also the fact that Luffy accidentally bombed Big Mom and claimed Fishman Island for his own.

I'm sure there's also going to be a lot of little things as well, like with Skypiea. Everyone thought that arc was pointless until Haki got introduced.

EDIT: I want Law to be the new crewmate, he's turning into One Piece's Vegeta.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I dont even know who Bartholomeo is o_O

789shadow

Banned

Pretty much. Right now discussion centers on Law, Rebecca, Bartolomeo, and maybe Viola and Kyros. All of whom are incredibly unlikely save Rebecca. Law and Bartolomeo have their own crews, Law being a Warlord-level pirate, Viola doesn't really have any evidence beyond having unique powers, Kyros and Rebecca have the requisite tragic past but no "dream", and are sword users.

BatDan

There's also the fact that Luffy accidentally bombed Big Mom and claimed Fishman Island for his own.

I'm sure there's also going to be a lot of little things as well, like with Skypiea. Everyone thought that arc was pointless until Haki got introduced.

EDIT: I want Law to be the new crewmate, he's turning into One Piece's Vegeta.

So many people ate crow about Skypiea once Rayleigh said "In Skypiea they call it Mantra".
Don't forget the recent development that Noland went to Dressrosa and met the dwarves. That too makes Skypiea important.

I don't like the current arc. It's way too messy for me. Having so many characters doesn't help either.

Bartholomeo is cool though. I wish he would somehow join the crew.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Read OP. Its damn good now.

i am lol, I just read the latest one. I just cant remember that name, is he the weird punk looking pirate that loves Luffy?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So many people ate crow about Skypiea once Rayleigh said "In Skypiea they call it Mantra".
Don't forget the recent development that Noland went to Dressrosa and met the dwarves. That too makes Skypiea important.

Yes that too. Skypiea keeps making people eat crow, it's great.

PranooY

I prefer Naruto but it's gone downhill recently.
i
And One Piece is on break so often I try not get hyped about it.
Wat? This is like the second break in this whole year, iirc.

And yea, Naruto has gone downhill.
Harem-no-jutsu against Kaguya? WTF happened to you Kishi?

PranooY

Bartolomeo already has a crew of his own. And Viola is the Dressrosa princess, not Rebecca.
Please don't be Rebecca. I mean she is ok as a character, but not cool enough for straw hats.
And beside we already have an epic, funny, powerful swordsman in straw hats.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But she isn't really "officially" part of the Royal Family. Or to put it another way, she's not going to be running the kingdom ever.

Yea but there's nothing stopping them from making her official after all this is over. She won't be running things, but she's still royalty.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Wat? This is like the second break in this whole year, iirc.

And yea, Naruto has gone downhill.
Harem-no-jutsu against Kaguya? WTF happened to you Kishi?

He's had at least one break a month and had a 2 week break recently.

Problem I have with One Piece at the moment is the pacing, half the manga is Luffy running somewhere and no one really has had a proper fight since the time skip.

In regards to Naruto: It's meant to be ending this year but if Kishi decides to carry it on through a time skip or something he should take a looonnnggg break to rethink things and actually plan the story out...

Magwik

Banned
He's had at least one break a month and had a 2 week break recently.

Problem I have with One Piece at the moment is the pacing, half the manga is Luffy running somewhere and no one really has had a proper fight since the time skip.

He was in the hospital ...

I somehow completely missed the chapter Sabo ate the devil fruit. I thought he had some sort of dragon power...

I think I also missed the one after that, but I skimmed both and not understand about as much as I will about this arc until it is fully animated.

One Piece is only a break every three chapters since last on SJ's orders. Oda got really sick last year and had to be hospitalized so rather than risk their star's health (he once said he's gotten accustomed to sleeping only 3 hours a day), the magazine ordered regular breaks.

As for Dressrosa, I can see what this arc will be on the long run :
- establishes Luffy as a world force when he beats Doflamingo
- establishes Luffy's extended pirate allies in preparation for the final showdown (Think Whitebeard's allies during the Summit War)
- expands on the history of the Celestial Dragons and the pull they have over the World Govt.
But darn, the chaotic and frantic Paramount War-like pace and the parallels with Alabasta just make Dressrosa seem a bit of a retread rather than a fresh new exciting arc. I'm sure it'll read great in full volume once it's over, but a week by week basis is tiresome. Especially with the inertia of regular breaks.

And...

Jinbei will be the last strawhat, the tenth. That'll parallel the ten members of the Blackbeard Pirates. Everyone else - Rebecca, Viola, Hancock, Sabo - will be allies. Law might be considered an honorary strawhat like Vivi, but not part of the main crew.

BatDan

He was in the hospital ...

Exactly.
All the breaks were due to Shueisha putting him on a reduced schedule after he overworked himself into the hospital.
The latest two-week break was a return visit to get his tonsils out.

It's better for him to take breaks for health concerns. Rather than take breaks to play Dragon Quest (you know who I'm talking about).

Though the next break is due to Oda visiting Taiwan. Apparently they had a big event there.
Honestly, I kind of want that kind of event here in the States. With Oda visiting.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
So first you complain about the breaks, and then say he needs to work less and make less content? What.

"And One Piece is on break so often I try not get hyped about it."

Not necessarily complaining just pointing out it's on break often.

I think it'd be better if oda had less content per chapter than taking breaks though.

Exactly.
All the breaks were due to Shueisha putting him on a reduced schedule after he overworked himself into the hospital.
The latest two-week break was a return visit to get his tonsils out.

Apparently when Kishimoto went to visit him in the hospital, he was still working on the manga.

The guy loves his series to bits, but he seriously needs to take care of himself.

robox

the who's-gonna-join game should be played to full ridiculousness. because it's pretty ridiculous to begin with.

my choice: cone-head old man. why?
he has now forgiven luffy and is a powerful ally. he has relinquished control of his army to his grandson, freeing him to go on a new adventure. his goal is to regain contact with garp and beat the shit outta him, which, if he follows luffy, would be a fasttrack way to do so. plus he has more backstory than the other colosseum allies, giving him the edge over the others.
q.e.d. he is going to join.
i can't even remember his name for this post

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I can't even fathom the epicness that will be this series' finale.

Hold on to your butts GAF, gonna be many crazy years ahead.

Probably Luffy vs. Blackbeard or Luffy vs. Dragon .... or even Luffy vs Shanks. I predict whoever luffy faces has one of the ancient weapons, too. :3

789shadow

Banned
the who's-gonna-join game should be played to full ridiculousness. because it's pretty ridiculous to begin with.

my choice: cone-head old man. why?
he has now forgiven luffy and is a powerful ally. he has relinquished control of his army to his grandson, freeing him to go on a new adventure. his goal is to regain contact with garp and beat the shit outta him, which, if he follows luffy, would be a fasttrack way to do so. plus he has more backstory than the other colosseum allies, giving him the edge over the others.
q.e.d. he is going to join.
i can't even remember his name for this post
Not in a million years.

Probably Luffy vs. Blackbeard or Luffy vs. Dragon .... or even Luffy vs Shanks. I predict whoever luffy faces has one of the ancient weapons, too. :3
Luffy vs. Akainu on the deck of the Pluton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom