• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabuto

finally!! This thread should have been made a long time ago imo.

This week's chapter was alright. Nothing really happened except Bart, Robin, and Rebecca floating down from Level 4/ Luffy & Law breaking out of the well. Sad that there's a break but flashback of Law's past is gonna be cool.

smurfx

get some go again
no way Blackbeard isn't Luffy's last fight. he was the one reaponsible for Ace's execution.
it's almost guaranteed he won't be fighting blackbeard last. he will fight blackbeard and then acquire one piece which will set off the huge war whitebeard talked about. the last boss or bosses are probably the elder stars.

daveo42

Banned
Man.. another hiatus.

The end twist is that Luffy ends up fighting...

..Red Hair Shanks.

I could see a fight like this happening between the two. I mean Luffy does have to give Roger's straw hat back to Shanks at some point.

As for an actual ending, I could see there being a whole other arc going on after they find One Piece where they destroy the current world government and the revolutionaries take over. Will probably help once Robin discovers the full contents of the Void century.

Korosenai

Bartolomeo already has a crew of his own. And Viola is the Dressrosa princess, not Rebecca.

Speaking of Bartolomeo.... I was reading volume 71 yesterday and noticed that I had completely forgotten that one of Bartolomeos pirates got introduced and curb stomped by a vice admiral within the span of two pages... the same vice admiral that Bartolomeo curb stomped the first time we see him.

Wonder why Oda hasn't brought that guy back or shown anymore of Bartoloemos crew mates.

Loco4Coco

Speaking of Bartolomeo.... I was reading volume 71 yesterday and noticed that I had completely forgotten that one of Bartolomeos pirates got introduced and curb stomped by a vice admiral within the span of two pages... the same vice admiral that Bartolomeo curb stomped the first time we see him.

Wonder why Oda hasn't brought that guy back or shown anymore of Bartoloemos crew mates.

Wasn't he part of CP0?

Alright! Excited to see a manga thread. Shame we don't have a chapter next week though. :(

I do think the latest chapter will be better in anime form. With that little montage of what's going on with everyone actually on Dressrosa with Robin's group flying, well, I can't wait to see it all animated. If it's a well animated episode.

so I havent been following arlong park or anything, is there still wild speculation about a new member every time a new arc rolls around?

and if so who is it this time? Rebecca? Law is getting a past flashback and thats usually a sign, but hes too big to join.

honestly i think all those guys that are fighting for Luffy will join him and become maybe 2nd captain, 3rd captain of their own ships. Kinda like how Whitebeard controlled multiple ships.

I wonder if Sabo is gonna meet Luffy or if Oda will make Sabo leave before it happens

uhm dont u remember??

screenshot_16.png

Kain

I hope Doflamingo kicks Luffy's ass then Kyros cuts him down. One would think Doflamingo is weak to swords (as is Luffy), so... and I don't see Zoro beating him either, he is made to beat underlings, not final bosses.

rouken

The end twist is that Luffy ends up fighting...

..Red Hair Shanks.

Ooh totally forgot that Luffy wants to fight Shanks. But I think that's coming sooner rather than later with Luffy trying to take down Yonkou's

it's almost guaranteed he won't be fighting blackbeard last. he will fight blackbeard and then acquire one piece which will set off the huge war whitebeard talked about. the last boss or bosses are probably the elder stars.

I don't quite agree with this. Because it was shown that blackbeard is the same with luffy in regards to their dreams being able to find One Piece. It would be disappointing if the ending would not consist of them racing each other to raftel and fighting each other when they reach the island.

All the other background stuff like marines and history are important but needs to be resolve before the real end goal comes.

How many more years do you think before Oda will complete this manga?

i say 10 more years. and i'll treasure every second of it.

Dartastic

As for an actual ending, I could see there being a whole other arc going on after they find One Piece where they destroy the current world government and the revolutionaries take over. Will probably help once Robin discovers the full contents of the Void century.
I could see that too. Hype.

Also, I think it's time for a new crew member. Yeaaaaaah!

Whatever happened to CP0? And what about sanji's group fighting big mom? I really want to know what's going on with everything. There's just so much happening all at once.

smurfx

get some go again
I don't quite agree with this. Because it was shown that blackbeard is the same with luffy in regards to their dreams being able to find One Piece. It would be disappointing if the ending would not consist of them racing each other to raftel and fighting each other when they reach the island.

All the other background stuff like marines and history are important but needs to be resolve before the real end goal comes.
the discovery of one piece is what's going to set everything off so it can't end once luffy finds one piece. plus luffy isn't going to be considered the pirate king right away just because he found one piece. he needs at least one huge event for the people around the world to consider him pirate king. pirates from around the world joining luffy in a war against the marines would do that.

the discovery of one piece is what's going to set everything off so it can't end once luffy finds one piece. plus luffy isn't going to be considered the pirate king right away just because he found one piece. he needs at least one huge event for the people around the world to consider him pirate king. pirates from around the world joining luffy in a war against the marines would do that.

Blackbeard being the final villain and Luffy finding One Piece setting off a war are not mutually exclusive. Nothing at all says Luffy has to defeat Blackbeard on Raftel.

One the one hand, finding One Piece will very obviously not be the final thing to happen in the series. Like you say, it will be the trigger leading into the final war between pirates and the World Government. On the other hand, Blackbeard has been built up for years as an antithesis to Luffy: Both desire to become pirate king; one for the freedom, the other to rule the seas. Not to mention Blackbeard is a D. and thus will tie into the void century.

Blackbeard and his crew have been expanding and growing stronger alongside the main cast for years now. Meanwhile, the Gorousei seem to be more concerned about simply keeping the status quo than they are about wiping out all pirates (that's more Sakazuki's thing). They are hardly final villain material. They are also morally gray, as evidenced by their remorse in having to initiate the Buster Call on Ohara and Rayleigh's statements regarding the void century. As opposed to Blackbeard, who shares many traits with Luffy (his comment regarding sky island comes to mind) yet at the same time is in direct opposition to him.

Blackbeard also has some bad blood with Shanks, and the two will most likely come to arms at some point in the future. For story reasons, if such a conflict were to happen, Shanks' outlook isn't pretty. So if this were indeed to happen, it would further cement Blackbeard's status as final villain. Luffy would have a real reason to hate the guy. As for the Gorousei? What kind of emotional investment would Luffy or the readers even have in such a fight?

What I foresee happening is Luffy finding One Piece first but Blackbeard crashing the party to obtain whatever he needs - perhaps something relating to the void century - and then skedaddling out of there. After all, I don't think Luffy cares about the void history or would care to do anything with the information he finds, much less initiate a war over it. It makes more sense for Blackbeard to initiate the war.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Blackbeard being the final villain and Luffy finding One Piece setting off a war are not mutually exclusive. Nothing at all says Luffy has to defeat Blackbeard on Raftel.

One the one hand, finding One Piece will very obviously not be the final thing to happen in the series. Like you say, it will be the trigger leading into the final war between pirates and the World Government. On the other hand, Blackbeard has been built up for years as an antithesis to Luffy: Both desire to become pirate king; one for the freedom, the other to rule the seas. Not to mention Blackbeard is a D. and thus will tie into the void century.

Blackbeard and his crew have been expanding and growing stronger alongside the main cast for years now. Meanwhile, the Gorousei seem to be more concerned about simply keeping the status quo than they are about wiping out all pirates (that's more Sakazuki's thing). They are hardly final villain material. They are also morally gray, as evidenced by their remorse in having to initiate the Buster Call on Ohara and Rayleigh's statements regarding the void century. As opposed to Blackbeard, who shares many traits with Luffy (his comment regarding sky island comes to mind) yet at the same time is in direct opposition to him.

Blackbeard also has some bad blood with Shanks, and the two will most likely come to arms at some point in the future. For story reasons, if such a conflict were to happen, Shanks' outlook isn't pretty. So if this were indeed to happen, it would further cement Blackbeard's status as final villain. Luffy would have a real reason to hate the guy. As for the Gorousei? What kind of emotional investment would Luffy or the readers even have in such a fight?

What I foresee happening is Luffy finding One Piece first but Blackbeard crashing the party to obtain whatever he needs - perhaps something relating to the void century - and then skedaddling out of there. After all, I don't think Luffy cares about the void history or would care to do anything with the information he finds, much less initiate a war over it. It makes more sense for Blackbeard to initiate the war.

Honestly, Akainu seems more like the final boss to me. Blackbeard is the opposite of Luffy yes, but he's not totally evil as evidenced by our first meeting with him. I think the two of them will fight on Raftel over the One Piece, set off the big war and then Akainu will be the big bad. He's currently in charge of the marines and we know him to be not only cold and ruthless when it comes to carrying out his own brand of justice but also that he will ignore orders in order to carry out his justice. If he thinks Luffy has the One Piece and it threatens the world then no one will be able to stop him from doing whatever it takes to kill him. He's very much a loose cannon and perhaps the most dangerous person in the manga right now because of it.

Honestly, Akainu seems more like the final boss to me. Blackbeard is the opposite of Luffy yes, but he's not totally evil as evidenced by our first meeting with him. I think the two of them will fight on Raftel over the One Piece, set off the big war and then Akainu will be the big bad. He's currently in charge of the marines and we know him to be not only cold and ruthless when it comes to carrying out his own brand of justice but also that he will ignore orders in order to carry out his justice. If he thinks Luffy has the One Piece and it threatens the world then no one will be able to stop him from doing whatever it takes to kill him. He's very much a loose cannon and perhaps the most dangerous person in the manga right now because of it.

Sakazuki would make for an extremely disappointing final villain. I pose the question again: What kind of emotional investment would Luffy or the readers even have in such a fight? To be fair, Sakazuki did kill Ace. But getting revenge for Ace's death is hardly the driving goal in the series. But finding One Piece? Much like Blackbeard is trying to do? Which puts him in direct opposition to Luffy's drive and dream? Now that sure is.

Not to mention, the lore and history of the entire series are rooted in the void century. Blackbeard, as a D., has direct connections to that history. We don't know the significance of the ancient kingdom yet but it is significant, to be sure. And Blackbeard will tie into it.

Sakazuki only cares about Luffy because Luffy is a pirate. That's literally his entire ambition for wanting Luffy dead. What kind of final villain would that be? One who only opposes the main character by default because they are on enemy factions? Sakazuki has no larger goals or ambitions other than wiping out pirates. He is no more than an attack dog, killing pirates for the simple reason that they are pirates. He is ruthless, but as a character he is shallow. Hardly fitting for the climax of a series.

Blackbeard, on the other hand? Whose ambitions directly clash with Luffy's? Who has a larger goal in mind? Who has connections to the void century? Who has been scheming his rise to power for several in-story decades now? Who both literally and figuratively usurped the position previously held by the world's strongest man? Who has been portrayed as an evil version of Luffy? Whose ideologies on what it means to be pirate king are the exact opposite of Luffy's (freedom vs. tyranny)?

Akainu, in my mind, will be the penultimate villain. His fight with Luffy will be the culmination of the war between absolute justice and true justice. That, though, is a discussion for another time. But the fight against Blackbeard - that will be the clash of ideologies and dreams. A culmination of the entire series' themes.

There are multiple layers to the conflict between Blackbeard and Luffy. Not so with Sakazuki.

EDIT:
Also, Sakazuki is hardly a loose cannon as you say. When he really gets into it he does indeed go overboard, but as we saw in Dressrosa, he still takes commands from the government. Talking about the scene on Green Bit here.

789shadow

Banned
There is no story progression in which Luffy fighting Akainu before finding the One Piece makes sense. Keep in mind that Zoro has to fight Mihawk at some point in the manga, and the one time that really makes sense is in a huge war at Marejois.

Been reading this way over 10 years at this point. Several bad choices lately though. In particular, timeskips are lame, and all the new character designs are shit compared to earlier. (Worst part is that one volume has shown the alternatives for post-timeskip main designs and all of them were better than what we got)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've been watching/reading OP since 2004 and I never once considered that the series might continue after Luffy finds one piece, but it makes perfect sense now and I think your prediction probably isn't too far off.

There was a really, really interesting thread on Arlong Park's forums a while back about the parallels between the legend of one piece, poneglyphs, and real life events/mythology that strongly suggested that one piece and the rio poneglyph were strongly connected/one and the same. If the history of the void century is going to be revealed when they find one piece (which is implied to indicate something "wrong" with the current setup of the world, judging by Rayleigh's comment that "even if they knew, they couldn't do anything about it right now") then I have a feeling the story is really going to kick into high gear after the Raftel arc. Whenever we finally get there. As much as I love how detail oriented Oda is, he kind of needs to put more focus into his storytelling. Dressrosa alone has been going on for way too long.

Edit: Also, thanks for making this thread, OP! I might make a Naruto counterpart at some point, because I can't seem to get any decent discussion going in the general manga thread...

Double edit: I also want to know why in the world Roger was able to read poneglyphs. Biggest mystery in the series so far. (In a series full of big mysteries!)

daveo42

Banned
Double edit: I also want to know why in the world Roger was able to read poneglyphs. Biggest mystery in the series so far. (In a series full of big mysteries!)

Rayleigh explained it in the Sabaody arc that he just had the ability to understand pretty much whatever without actually being able to read it. I think it was something related to the Will of D. I'd have to look for the actual wording from the manga...but it is there.

yo this arc man

i mean i like where it's going but i'm not a fan of how the majority of the action has taken place off-panel to allow time to cover such a large array of characters and shit going on at once. i mean the straw hats split up and the pacing is still too damn fast to do any of its material justice

There is no story progression in which Luffy fighting Akainu before finding the One Piece makes sense. Keep in mind that Zoro has to fight Mihawk at some point in the manga, and the one time that really makes sense is in a huge war at Marejois.

I don't recall anyone suggesting Luffy will beat Sakazuki before finding One Piece.

Also, it doesn't really make sense for Mihawk to fight Zoro during the final war. From what we know of him (as well as him being friends with Shanks and a mentor to Zoro), what reason exactly would he have to oppose the Strawhats if he were present at such an event?

Personally, I subscribe to the theory that Shiliew will obtain Joz's diamond fruit and defeat Mihawk before Zoro ever gets to fight him again. A lot of the tension was removed from Zoro and Mihawk's relationship when Oda decided to make them student and mentor, which I believe is setup for ultimately unifying Luffy's and Zoro's goals (and possibly Usopp's too if Blackbeard ends up wiping out the Redhairs) into one final battle with the Blackbeards.

789shadow

Banned
Also, it doesn't really make sense for Mihawk to fight Zoro during the final war. From what we know of him (as well as him being friends with Shanks and a mentor to Zoro), what reason exactly would he have to oppose the Strawhats if he were present at such an event?
His position as a Warlord means he has to oppose them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't recall anyone suggesting Luffy will beat Sakazuki before finding One Piece.

Personally, I subscribe to the theory that Shiliew will obtain Joz's diamond fruit and defeat Mihawk before Zoro ever gets to fight him again. A lot of the tension was removed from Zoro and Mihawk's relationship when Oda decided to make them student and mentor, which I believe is setup for ultimately unifying Luffy's and Zoro's goals (and possibly Usopp's too if Blackbeard ends up wiping out the Redhairs) into one final battle with the Blackbeards.
I can see this happening, but I'd rather it didn't. Mihawk was set up within the first 20-30 episodes to be Zoro's ultimate goal, and I'd hate to see him lose that status to someone else.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The final confrontation is going to be between the Revolutionaries and the World Government. That's a fight that's been brewing since the second chapter of the series and all signs point to it not only happening but that it will be set off by whatever Luffy and crew find on Raftel. Blackbeard doesn't fit into that dynamic.

789shadow

Banned
I can see this happening, but I'd rather it didn't. Mihawk was set up within the first 20-30 episodes to be Zoro's ultimate goal, and I'd hate to see him lose that status to someone else.
This as well. Unbelievably anticlimactic for Mihawk to be offed by Warden Gestapo.

His position as a Warlord means he has to oppose them.

Jinbe, Hancock, Kuma and Law all say you're wrong. Heck, even the ones that do oppose the Strawhats don't listen to their orders half the time. Mihawk himself only follows orders when the topic at hand interests him (such as the roundtable following Crocodile's downfall and the war against Whitebeard). Not to mention that so far, Crocodile, Blackbeard and Doflamingo have each used the title as leverage and have shown no loyalty whatsoever to the government during their tenure.

Why do you think Fujitora wants to abolish the system? It's completely broken. I think by this point it is fairly obvious the entire Shichibukai system will be in shambles far before we ever reach that point in the story.

The final confrontation is going to be between the Revolutionaries and the World Government. That's a fight that's been brewing since the second chapter of the series and all signs point to it not only happening but that it will be set off by whatever Luffy and crew find on Raftel. Blackbeard doesn't fit into that dynamic.

Since the second chapter? What?

If you're going to claim so confidently that the final battle is going to center on the conflict between the Revolutionaries and the World Government, you're going to have to bring in some arguments and evidence here. It's definitely going to be a major component of the war, but I hardly think it will be the climax.

I mean, how does Luffy's goals or dreams even tie into that? The connection he has with Blackbeard is deep and personal. It encompasses the themes of the series. This connection will only deepen further as the series goes on.

Meanwhile, Luffy is hardly the kind of person to care about some ancient history. Have you considered that since Luffy is who he is, it will instead be Blackbeard that will initiate the war? You know, a three-way conflict? Total domination sure seems to be his ultimate goal after all.

EDIT:
This as well. Unbelievably anticlimactic for Mihawk to be offed by Warden Gestapo.

Not if such a thing were to happen during an all-out clash between the Blackbeards, the Redhairs and their allies.

I really have a hard time imagining someone other then Black Beard being the final boss... then again Oda could pull a Naruto on us and have a fucking alien be the final boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom