• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Ogodei

I'm not convinced the show is even going to happen. Doesn't the guy behind this also own the rights to Cowboy Bebop, which he's done nothing with?

Oda's given it his blessing, apparently, and i'd have to imagine that doesn't come easily for something like this that would be likely to damage the property's reputation (not that One Piece hasn't been used for a bunch of cheap crap, but crappy figurines or a mediocre video game aren't going to make your IP into a laughingstock like a terrible live-action TV adaptation would).

Chase17

I was right then. Which means HBO is open to having diverse programming targeted to multiple age groups.
Live-action One Piece on HBO wouldn't have to be full of violence and sex like GoT.
Should mention that SS airs on HBO first. But comes to PBS months later.

90% of HBO programming falls into the blockbuster drama with sex/violence (GoT/Westworld), mini series book adaptation with big name actors, or half hour adult comedy. It would be cool to see HBO fund One Piece live action but I'd be very surprised. I think the biggest roadblock would be that they only have one "major production", which one piece would need to be, and they wouldn't want something too out there. But you never know, GoT probably seems out there when it first started airing.

Veelk

Banned
On Nami and Zeus:

I don't find it problematic that Nami can use a thundercloud to boost her attack, since it's established her power set is based in such things.

What I don't like is that Zeus willingly went against Big Mom for something as insipid as cloud candy.

So, Pudding breaks down if you call her eye pretty and Zeus will abandon BM if he finds some candy he likes. It makes it seem like all you actually need to do to shatter the Big Mom pirates is find whatever frivolous personal quirk they have and capitalize on that.

Maybe Smoothie refuses to fight because she gets addicted to playing videogames and Katakuri goes into a fugue state when he learns about Schrodingers cat. With both of the remaining candie commanders gone, Big Mom pirates are easy to defeat.

caliph95

On Nami and Zeus:

I don't find it problematic that Nami can use a thundercloud to boost her attack, since it's established her power set is based in such things.

What I don't like is that Zeus willingly went against Big Mom for something as insipid as cloud candy.

So, Pudding breaks down if you call her eye pretty and Zeus will abandon BM if he finds some candy he likes. It makes it seem like all you actually need to do to shatter the Big Mom pirates is find whatever frivolous personal quirk they have and capitalize on that.

Maybe Smoothie refuses to fight because she gets addicted to playing videogames and Katakuri goes into a fugue state when he learns about Schrodingers cat. With both of the remaining candie commanders gone, Big Mom pirates are easy to defeat.
Smoothie is now my favorite character again

LotusHD

Banned
Well, it's also established that when Big Mom has a craving for food, that takes top priority, so it isn't all that far-fetched that the same would apply to Zeus. So that's why I'm not really bothered by that. Also key word: "Cloud" It's not like anyone can easily replicate what Nami did, so it's kind of disingenuous to say that it's this quirk that anyone can easily take advantage of. Sort of the same thing for those (elsewhere) saying why someone doesn't just easily injure Prometheus with water if he's weak to it; there's only so many proficient Fishman Karate users, and Jinbe's at the very top.

With that said, while Big Mom's homies both have known weaknesses, the true threat is that Big Mom has access to both of them, as well as Napoleon, and she herself is also extremely durable and fearsome strength-wise. And then of course this is her territory, with all of her forces being here. So even with Luffy and co. just so happening to have several counters to Big Mom's homies... they're still running away at the end of the day.

On Nami and Zeus:

Fear seems to be the main thing uniting the Big Mom pirates, outside of few having devotion to her as a maternal figure. Not a single one of her pirates can willingly stand up to her and survive. Sure the brothers and sisters might have stronger bonds together and won't betray them but leaving Big Mom is as simple as giving them something that outweighs their fear.

It would be great to see Katakuri discover Schrodinger's Cat for the first time though.

On Nami and Zeus:

I thought it fit nicely into Big Mama's huge appetite and gluttony.

Euphony

Banned
So what is he then?

And if he's no truly a sun, then Zeus isn't truly a thundercloud, so how can Nami use her weather powers to control him?

Pretty sure that Prometheus is a homie made from fire and not the sun. Unless Big Mom somehow was able to put part of her soul into the sun.

LotusHD

Banned
So what is he then?

And if he's no truly a sun, then Zeus isn't truly a thundercloud, so how can Nami use her weather powers to control him?

He's (wild)fire turned into the shape of a sun. Jinbe said so this chapter. Also, remember we saw the process of Mother Carmel creating her own Prometheus in order to put out the flames?

As for how exactly Zeus was made, not entirely sure, but it could be just as simple as her putting a soul into a cloud, I guess it's tangible enough, she did it for fire after all. And jumping off of that, I dunno shit about weather, but it seems plausible that other clouds would be what a thundercloud would eat. To be more accurate, Nami manipulated him, not controlled him. Basically a little kid that you bribe with said "cloud candy".

caliph95

So what is he then?

We saw caramel made a sun homie to extinguish the fire big mom caused
Even in one piece having an actual sun is ridiculous

Zeus I'm sure is an actual cloud

Veelk

Banned
Honestly, even if he is fire, that brings up it's own set of questions, (the first of which being why is this poser going around pretending to be a sun)

Fire is not....well, it's not a thing. It is a chemical reaction of various escaping molecules. How do you put a soul in that, precisely?

In case it isn't clear yet, I'm mostly just taking the piss here.

caliph95

Honestly, even if he is fire, that brings up it's own set of questions, (the first of which being why is this poser going around pretending to be a sun)

Fire is not....well, it's not a thing. It is a chemical reaction of various escaping molecules. How do you put a soul in that, precisely?

Oda: Because heart

Edit: thank God for the edit 8 can't tell with you

LotusHD

Banned
Honestly, even if he is fire, that brings up it's own set of questions.

Fire is not....well, it's not a thing. It is a chemical reaction of various escaping molecules. How do you put a soul in that?

This is the part where we all suspend our belief and just roll with someone being able to inject their soul into fire. :p

Also shaping it to look like the sun makes it look cooler, and uhh, allows it to levitate. So... yea, that's what I'm going with.

In case it isn't clear yet, I'm mostly just taking the piss here.

How does eating a fruit turn somebody into a rubber man? How does this transformation come with no negative effects on the person's physiology

Euphony

Banned
I guess the same way you put your soul into a floating mass of water molecules. I hate to say it because it's such a cop-out answer, but in a world where eating a fruit can give you a varying amount of supernatural powers, including turning into the living embodiment of natural elements like fire, I wouldn't say it's far fetched for Big Mom to put her soul into fire to make Prometheus.

LotusHD

Banned
Why are you guys taking Veelk's bait

82d.png

With One Piece you deal with simple, cause and effect logic.

Look at Rabiyan:

latest

Why can he fly? None of the other inanimate object homies can fly, so why can he?

Now we could argue until we're blue in the face about the logistics, but we know why he can fly.

Because he's a carpet. And magic carpets fly.

LotusHD

Banned
Basically it's just fun to see where I draw the line in terms of why something works. In this case, I'm fine with everything I've seen from Big Mom.

With One Piece you deal with simple, cause and effect logic.

Look at Rabiyan:

latest

Why can he fly? None of the other inanimate object homies can fly, so why can he?

Now we could argue until we're blue in the face about the logistics, but we know why he can fly.

Because he's a carpet. And magic carpets fly.

I didn't even think about him.

You know what the weirdest homie is though?

The fucking rainbow.

Sure, you can justify Prometheus being sentient fire but what the hell did Big Mom do to make this guy?

The fucking rainbow.

Sure, you can justify Prometheus being sentient fire but what the hell did Big Mom do to make this guy?
Used science to create a rainbow in the sky and put a homie in it or just got lucky one day saw a rainbow and put a soul in it either way works

Ray Down

Banned
I thought it fit nicely into Big Mama's huge appetite and gluttony.

Same here.

Pretty sure that Prometheus is a homie made from fire and not the sun. Unless Big Mom somehow was able to put part of her soul into the sun.

Corect, just made from fire.

best romance in one piece of course

No it's Straw hats X Adventure.

Why are you guys taking Veelk's bait

We are BORED!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Which translation are you reading?

In Jaimebox (which tends to be alot more accurate and close to the original and Viz) Pudding all love like when she sees Sanji-san with hearts and all and corrects herself to sound less in love and Chiffon reacts in a bit of a gag. It also has Doki Doki ドキドキ which means her heart is beating and this is only really used in love stories and where a person is scared.

Seems like Pudding is in love but is unable to admit it, so she dere like.

The one I was reading did not make that clear at all. Thanks for the explanation, haha. I didn't even notice the ドキドキ.

The fucking rainbow.

Rainbows are essentially just the product of light refraction off of water droplets in the atmosphere, so it could probably be suggested that the rainbow is actually a type of water homie

Top Bottom