• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Lunar15

I don't think it's radical to say that the crew has been firmly in the background the past few arcs. Oda has put other characters in the spotlight instead, going as far as putting half the crew on another island so that he can focus more on other non-crew members. I mean, hell, Ceasar's been a central character for three arcs now. He's more a part of the crew than Vivi was at this point.

I'm also not saying this is a bad thing. It's just that everyone talks about who the next crew member is so much without even noticing that the being on the crew means so little when Oda doesn't really devote a lot of time to the crew and instead gives a lot of time to a wider cast of characters. Carrot will be around for a while. Jimbei basically was a crew member before he became one. Nearly everyone we met at Zou will be at Wano. When we get to the final battles, the whole Alliance will be there.

Ray Down

Banned
Oda doesn't devote a lot to the whole crew is because if he did, he be extending the series a whole lot more.

Trying to give time to all 9 members each arc is a lot to juggle.

Time can be used to just focus on just half and focus on other characters like the supernovas and fleet members to change things up.

Oda doesn't devote a lot to the whole crew is because if he did, he be extending the series a whole lot more.

Time can be used to just focus on just half and focus on other characters like the supernovas and fleet members to change things up.
Yup agree with this. Also helps i never felt like a strawhat was getting shafted either. Only one I feel can have a bit more badass moments is robin,chopper has had more than her in his own ways, the kids,saving zou,choBro

Metal B

For Carrot to join, she needs a role in the crew.
There isn't a random factor in Luffy's crew choices. He ask people to join his main crew around his wants, needs and weaknesses: He wants a cook and musician, since he enjoys music and food the most. A carpenter, navigator and doctor are all people, he need for his ship and crew. A devil's advocate, liar and underwater creature cover all his weaknesses. Robin as a key element to reach One Piece was pure luck, but he fought hard for her without knowing that and so its deserved (in my opinion).
As longs as we don't see a seconder ability of Carrot, which is useful to Luffy, she will never join the crew.

NSESN

There isn't a random factor in Luffy's crew choices. He ask people to join his main crew around his wants, needs and weaknesses: He wants a cook and musician, since he enjoys music and food the most. A carpenter, navigator and doctor are all people, he need for his ship and crew. A devil's advocate, liar and underwater creature cover all his weaknesses. Robin as a key element to reach One Piece was pure luck, but he fought hard for her without knowing that and so its deserved (in my opinion).
As longs as we don't see a seconder ability of Carrot, which is useful to Luffy, she will never join the crew.

Extra food? I heard Rabbit meat is good.

He asked zoro because he was strong, he asked usopp because they were friends, he knew nothing about robin let her stay, asked Brook way before he knew he was a musician, he asked Vivi again she travelled with them was his friend, he didn't know chopper was a doctor either. Jinbe yet again a very good friend

Idk if she's gonna join but she could simply ask to stay ala robin

Ray Down

Banned
He asked zoro because he was strong, he asked usopp because they were friends, he knew nothing about robin let her stay, asked Brook way before he knew he was a musician, he asked Vivi again she travelled with them was his friend, he didn't know chopper was a doctor either.
He had a connection to these people, there's nothing like that for Carrot.

Role barely matters because Usopp was a odd job for most of the time he was around early on.

Basically Luffy needs some interest in you for him to care.

Then other traits that show you are more than ready to be one.

Veelk

Banned
Extra food? I heard Rabbit meat is good.

It's tasty, but it's not a that nutritious. In fact, eating rabbit meat exclusively would lead to protein poisoning, since rabbit meat is pretty lean and has no fat. But given Carrots ginormous tits, that might not be true for mink rabbits.

Metal B

He asked zoro because he was strong, he asked usopp because they were friends, he knew nothing about robin let her stay, asked Brook way before he knew he was a musician, he asked Vivi again she travelled with them was his friend, he didn't know chopper was a doctor either. Jinbe yet again a very good friend

Luffy is friends with many people, who he was willing to go all out for. If we go after this criterium, there would not be any space left on the ship.

I hope, that Oda reveals, that Luffy made the choice conscious or else it would be wired, that he got the best possible crew for his goal by chance.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't think it's radical to say that the crew has been firmly in the background the past few arcs. Oda has put other characters in the spotlight instead, going as far as putting half the crew on another island so that he can focus more on other non-crew members. I mean, hell, Ceasar's been a central character for three arcs now. He's more a part of the crew than Vivi was at this point.

I'm also not saying this is a bad thing. It's just that everyone talks about who the next crew member is so much without even noticing that the being on the crew means so little when Oda doesn't really devote a lot of time to the crew and instead gives a lot of time to a wider cast of characters. Carrot will be around for a while. Jimbei basically was a crew member before he became one. Nearly everyone we met at Zou will be at Wano. When we get to the final battles, the whole Alliance will be there.

But dude, the people that are actually a part of the crew, we already know so much about them. We don't need eternal focus on them for ever single arc, whereas we need to have a reason to care about both new and old characters. Part of the reason he separates them is because it makes it easier for them to shine. Like would Brook and Nami get a chance to remind us how awesome they were if everyone was here? Unlikely, not without making the arc a lot longer than it already is at least.

As for other people, only Vivi and maybe Law could classify as honorary Straw Hats. The only arc I could really say put the crew in the background is Dressrosa. But the reason for that is obvious, the fleet got formed at the end. Fishman Island didn't. They were all together for Punk Hazard. Zou was brief and capped off with Luffy going to save Sanji, and of course WCI is at its heart Sanji-focused. Characters like Caesar, Capone, or Pedro are neat, but at the end of the day, they're not a part of the crew. It's always going to be a relevant distinction, as the people who join are in it for the long haul. Alliances are a big theme post-Timeskip, but it still matters as to who actually joins.

You bring up Caesar being around for three arcs, and yet ironically he's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Luffy and co. hate him, want nothing to do with him, and Caesar promptly left as soon as he was given an opportunity to do so. He's been around longer than Vivi, and yet... He's not a crew member.

Exactly.

Luffy doesn't give a fuck outside of like the musician, navigator, doctor and chef. Robin and Usopp didn't have pressing occupations, and yet here they are. Ultimately, he just needs to like you enough. Now, you could say that Oda wants the crew members to have defined roles within the crew. In that case, Carrot could be a more proper scout, considering her status as someone as stays up all day, and has impressive eyesight and is able to jump extremely high up. Or maybe she does something else, maybe he doesn't really care anymore. It's been 9 years, and people seem to be struggling to come up with more super crucial roles.

All I'm saying is, Jinbe would be probably be the helmsman, and yet, that isn't exactly a pressing occupation... But he's still joining. So personally I don't put much weight into that. Only stuff like a dream matters imo

Yup

NSESN

Vivi was with the crew at a time when there wasn't much people to focus, so even if she spent less time withthe SH she had much more screen time.

Ray Down

Banned
Well robin did save his life and did try to kill croc .
Which is why he said she was not a bad person .

Had a unique design, intrigue with her bounty poster at a young age that played into the mystery and was compounded by what she said to Cobra.

She had more uniqueness from her first appearance than most shit candidates did for however long they were around and did.

caliph95

It's tasty, but it's not a that nutritious. In fact, eating rabbit meat exclusively would lead to protein poisoning, since rabbit meat is pretty lean and has no fat. But given Carrots ginormous tits, that might not be true for mink rabbits.
So what you're saying is we need to eat rabbit boobs

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I hope, that Oda reveals, that Luffy made the choice conscious or else it would be wired, that he got the best possible crew for his goal by chance.

Isn't that part of why having Conqueror's Haki is considered a big deal? It's basically a giant signal flare to the world saying "The heavens have big plans for this guy/girl."

LotusHD

Banned

Outside of the anime, I really don't see this. Maybe because I'm too conditioned to Nami and Robin lol

Then again, it's not exactly something I ever focus on lol

Isn't that part of why having Conqueror's Haki is considered a big deal? It's basically a giant signal flare to the world saying "The heavens have big plans for this guy/girl."

I don't see Luffy ever adding someone with Conqueror's Haki.

caliph95

Outside of the anime, I really don't see this. Maybe because I'm too conditioned to Nami and Robin lol

Then again, it's not exactly something I focus on lol
I feel like she does in the Manga as well

But I don't have enough dignity and pride to waste it on checking her for size to confirm

Geg

Speaking of crew "roles" what would Jinbe's role even be other than big strong fish dude

Luffy asked him to join because he likes him, it's that simple lol

LotusHD

Banned
Speaking of crew "roles" what would Jinbe's role even be other than big strong fish dude

Luffy asked him to join because he likes him, it's that simple lol

Exactly lol

People assume he'll be the helmsman, and he probably will be, but let's not act like it's this role where they'll die if they don't have it. It's like Franky taking over the inventions that Usopp usually did, he'd be more effective than whoever normally steers the ship. Alternatively, he can help rescue any DF users that fall into the water... Lol

But yea, no one really questions it, or are more than happy to come up with some ideas, because most people like Jinbe.

caliph95

Exactly lol

People assume he'll be the helmsman, and he probably will be, but let's not act like it's this role where they'll die if they don't have it. Alternatively, he's another person to help rescue any DF users that fall into the water... Lol

But yea, no one really questions it, or are more than happy to come up with some ideas, because most people like Jinbe.
Honestly I'm not even sure who drives (or steer) the ship honestly

GaimeGuy

Honestly I'm not even sure who drives (or steer) the ship honestly

They all do. I think Sanji and Usopp are the two characters most often depicted as doing the actual manual labor of steering according to Nami's instructions.

Nah it's awakening time or it's gear 4th:insert new form here

This is our rob lucci fight of the new world(I'm piping it but still)

Also yes carrot 4 Nakama
I'd allow it. I'd be cool with this fight being pivotal to Luffy's combat growth.

I just wonder how Brulee will tie into the fight. She isn't going to be out the whole fight, right? lol

GaimeGuy

Veelk

Banned

Then again, it's not exactly something I ever focus on lol.

I feel like Oda sexually objectifies Carrot less than Nami or Robin, or atleast not as intensely, presumably because he's not a furry even if he's catering to them. But she definitely has the "Standard Nami Body Template" and just looking at her character model shows this.

Remember when I mentioned that One Piece was really dense?

Akb4zA4.png

Credit

LotusHD

Banned
I'd allow it. I'd be cool with this fight being pivotal to Luffy's combat growth.

I just wonder how Brulee will tie into the fight. She isn't going to be out the whole fight, right? lol

Why wouldn't she be? She got choked TF out, and honestly, she'd make it less fun with her tricky powers. Now after the fight, don't be surprised if Luffy wakes her up though.

I can see Rayleigh joining the crew as an Eleventh Hour Ranger http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EleventhHourRanger (If you're familiar with Fire Emblem, it's basically the Gotoh character archetype).

We already have people with conqueror's haki in the alliance.

I would not be surprised if Zoro had Conqueror's Haki (Maybe even Usopp, too.)

Alliance ain't the same thing. As for Rayleigh joining, eww, I hope not. Feels wrong, Jinbe as Warlord tier is good enough, and even that had Oda take a long ass time to justify his inclusion without throwing the whole power balance out of whack. And no, I'm not familiar with Fire Emblem sadly.

Wouldn't be surprised if Zoro had it, but I prefer if only Luffy does tbh

I feel like Oda sexually objectifies Carrot less than Nami or Robin, or atleast not as intensely, presumably because he's not a furry even if he's catering to them. But she definitely has the "Standard Nami Body Template" and just looking at her character model shows this.

Fair enough.

Akb4zA4.png

Credit

Yo guys, this guy's posts are like the best part of Oro Jackson aside from the spoilers of course. Love how he helps remind us about certain things, or point out the inspirations behind certain things, often really vague shit you wouldn't know about unless you're already familiar with it.

NSESN

Akb4zA4.png

Credit

I am not even impressed anymore. Oda is one of a kind.

Edit: Lotus you should play Fire Emblem, the truth is that everyone should play it. I would recommend the radiant duology because they are the best but it is impossible to find now. Still, the 3DS games are good enough for a newcomer.

LotusHD

Banned
Edit: Lotus you should play Fire Emblem, the truth is that everyone should play it. I would recommend the radiant duology because they are the best but it is impossible to find now. Still, the 3DS games are good enough for a newcomer.

Maybe I'll try the Switch game (not the musou one) whenever that comes out. I like playing games on the Switch.

Btw, Project Octopath is hella good

Verelios

I feel that after Fishman Island there hasn't been very compelling CP's from Oda. Like, I don't care about this recent one, and while I'm sure there's a lot of fans who do, it's not for me. The style gradually shifted to more...modern I guess and less wallpaper friendly.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A scout they have a bird's nest. That was obvious from the get go.

wait, people actually believe Carrot is going to be a SH? lol

she doesn't have the onscreen presence that the other crew members share
I mean neither did Cranky when he was introduced. The parameters are loose as hell.

Ray Down

Banned
ocSZmUS.jpg

- Editors meeting in Shueisha turned down ONE PIECE several times before its serialization. Asada recalls he hated his boss because of his inability to grasp the awesomeness of ONE PIECE.
One day, Asada got so mad that he made a rebuttal statement for editors meeting.

- An old envelope was shown to Sugita, on which opinions from various editors were written about an early chapter in ONE PIECE.
Sugita was surprised to read that some editors were against OP since he thought it was already very popular among editors since the beginning.

- When Asada finished his career as OP editor in 2001, he shed tears and said to the next editor Habuta, "I'll leave the rest to you about ONE PIECE, Habuta-san!"

- Chapter 1 between manga and anime are pretty different. In anime, chapter 1 started in Albida arc.
This was because anime staffs claimed that they should focus on Luffy's current funny and interesting personality rather than his backstory.
Asada had a controversy with anime staffs about it since he thought audience would not get hooked until they know the reason why Luffy became a pirate.
Asada says he can now somewhat understand their opinion, though.

- Sugita has been admiring Oda so much that he kept calling him "Oda-sensei" unintentionally for a month despite Oda having told him not to call him Oda-sensei.

- All 3 editors in the interview agree that Oda's personality is great in that he has been friendly and far from conceit despite him being very popular mangaka.

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=42229&page=53&p=3824782&viewfull=1#post3824782

Ray Down

Banned
I mean neither did Cranky when he was introduced. The parameters are loose as hell.

Franky was introduced through his family after they beat the shit out of Usopp and him coming in for revenge against Luffy for beating his gang.

He was keep in shadow only seeing little details in 334 and 335 till he took it off.

After he took off his cloak (the one he wore dancing when Luffy saw him) he was a design so radically different and absurd compared to any One Piece character at the time. Ace Ventura hair, 3 chins, & Popeye arms, steel nose. Built up to be the villain of the arc and even captured Usopp (all before the rug was pulled with the revel of the CP9 and franky true intentions with the family) all the while dancing in his first intro covered up and not when he confronts Luffy singing.

Shown doing stuff no other person should be able to do with breath fire, shoot his hand out, cannon in his arms and hands and his reveal as a cyborg that runs on cola.

He had screen presence before the drag shoot was pulled.

Morlas

Calling it something will happen at the Reverie which causes Vivi to be on the run and she finally joins the crew for good...
in my dreams

Luffy! My son!!! Ugh, great fucking chapter.

I genuinely never even noticed this until you pointed them out. Can't unsee. So, thanks for that lmfao

Top Bottom