• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

caliph95

LotusHD

Banned
One of Mink kings talked about how only a Mink would know where Zou is. The BM crew has Pekoms and Law has that bear. So Kaido must have someone spilling the beans.

Yea I know that, I thought he was saying that they explicitly said that there might be a spy or something along those lines.

caliph95

I knew that when she evaded Zoro's blow there was some hinting going there

*tips shipping tin foil fedora*

And ray would never try to trigger us
m'rabbit

You might say there was a spark between them

Ray is an innocent rabbit he would never do that
Carrot is a mercenary. She will spill blood as long someone feeds her carrots.
Code:
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/X1rcpc0OaHs/hqdefault.jpg[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NMyWxQd31aY/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]

caliph95

The dream is dead, let it go.
I hope i don't cause another "is oda a sexist" debate (though Veelk probably bookmarks in his search engine)
The closet one we had was BM for evil mastermind
65.gif

caliph95

Yea, but closest isn't good enough!

I dunno, outside of Big Mom, we don't seem to have any other prominent female antagonists to look forward to. Unless Monet has been biding her time...
I don't you can survive your heart getting stabbed unless she has a "Strong Heart"

LotusHD

Banned
I don't you can survive your heart getting stabbed unless she has a "Strong Heart"

True...

Hm, I guess it's up to:

1. Kaido having a prominent female underling
2. Bonney putting her pizza down and stepping up
3. A surprise contender appearing at the Reverie
4. Robin abandons the Straw Hats pt. 2

Man God

Non-Canon Member
True...

Hm, I guess it's up to:

1. Kaido having a prominent female underling
2. Bonney putting her pizza down and stepping up
3. A surprise contender appearing at the Reverie
4. Robin abandons the Straw Hats pt. 2

Everyone always sleeps on the smoothest operator of them all. The power behind the throne of a Warlord.

turmoil

Banned
I dunno, outside of Big Mom, we don't seem to have any other prominent female antagonists to look forward to. Unless Monet has been biding her time...

Not necessarily needs to be final boss of an arc, if she somehow is benefiting from being Kaido's underling while using the trust of Zou and the SW, and helping to ignite chaos into BM barracks... she truly is some proactive mastermind in my book

Anyways Carrot is just the next nakama

LotusHD

Banned
Everyone always sleeps on the smoothest operator of them all. The power behind the throne of a Warlord.

Huh, who would that be lol, Elder Nyon, Hancock's adviser?

Not necessarily needs to be final boss of an arc, if she somehow is benefiting from being Kaido's underling while using the trust of Zou and the SW, and helping to ignite chaos into BM barracks... she truly is some proactive mastermind in my book

Anyways she is just the next nakama

I didn't say they had to be the final boss, just an antagonist. Like Pudding obviously isn't the final boss, but she's still an antagonist.
For now.

HLQx3Z.gif

At this point, I don't think Oda knows what a femme fatale is.

Reiju was one I think, or at least the closest example I can think of, till it turned out she always loved Sanji and actually isn't so bad. That said, it'd be hilarious if say Luffy did have a female rival that kept trying to seduce him.

Jay RaR

Reiju was one I think, or at least the closest example I can think of, till it turned out she always loved Sanji and actually isn't so bad. That said, it'd be hilarious if say Luffy did have a female rival that kept trying to seduce him.

Nah, I don't think so. She revived Luffy when she was first shown.

The closest ones were Vivi, Robin, Violet, and Pudding. We all know how they turned out...

except Pudding.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm just wondering, why do you all want a stereotypical female villain so much?

I mean, I get wanting more female characters, but you guys are literally complaining that One Piece doesn't feature the most stereotypical female villain archetype of all.

I'd rather have more Big Mom or Pudding or Weevil's mom or Alvida type female villains, the sort that break the mold and do something slightly different than what we're used to. The ones we have should get more screen time. At least we know Weevil's mom will in the future.

Is it just you all want a bad guy to be eye candy?

caliph95

Perona hanging around Mihawk and being relatively friendly towards Zoro is hilarious every time I'm reminded about it lol
Mihawk doesn't mind the company i guess all he had before was a bucnh of mandrills sized punching bags. Plus she has nowhere to go
Code:
[IMG]https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/onepiece/images/4/49/Kumae_Infobox.png/revision/latest?cb=20130703114914[/IMG]

LotusHD

Banned
Nah, I don't think so. She revived Luffy when she was first shown.

The closest ones were Vivi, Robin, Violet, and Pudding. We all know how they turned out...

except Pudding.

Yea but she still came off as mysterious and seductive, not to mention that for all intents and purposes she was an antagonist up until the reveal that the handcuffs were fake, and that she thinks she should die.

That said, the kiss she gave Luffy is an ironic subversion of such a trope I suppose.

I mean, I get wanting more female characters, but you guys are literally complaining that One Piece doesn't feature the most stereotypical female villain archetype of all.

I'd rather have more Big Mom or Pudding type female villains, the sort that break the mold and do something slightly different.

Huh, I don't really care. The post I first replied to bemoaned that there wasn't a female evil mastermind, so I just kind of went with it for fun lol

I just want more prominent female characters in general. That said, I do have a stronger desire for women that fight up close, like Carrot and Reiju

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Huh, I don't really care. The post I first replied to bemoaned that there wasn't a female evil mastermind, so I just kind of went with it for fun lol

It's not just you, it's something I've noticed in this community for a little while now. Having more female baddies isn't enough, they have to be sexy for some reason if they're going to count.

LotusHD

Banned
Mihawk doesn't mind the company i guess all he had before was a bucnh of mandrills sized punching bags. Plus she has nowhere to go
Code:
[IMG]https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/onepiece/images/4/49/Kumae_Infobox.png/revision/latest?cb=20130703114914[/IMG]

I know, it's just funny that Mihawk makes exceptions. I'd love to see some of their banter. Can't wait to see them again.

Non joke answer: Weevil's mum
Joke answer: Alvida

Ah yea, forgot about Weevil and his mother.

It's not just you, it's something I've noticed in this community for a little while now. Having more female baddies isn't enough, they have to be sexy for some reason if they're going to count.

Can't say I've heard anyone say they have to be sexy, but it's not like I've been here forever, so that's certainly a new sentiment to me lol

Jay RaR

Is it wrong not to wish for a sexy and badass female villain? It seems the female villains in OP have to be ugly or really old if they want to be powerful or threatening.
I'd also like to know what Alvida's up to these days

Personally, I just want more female fighters that can actually hold their own on a fight, like be capable in the New World. It's why I like Carrot so much right now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can't say I've heard anyone say they have to be sexy, but it's not like I've been here forever, so that's certainly a new sentiment to me lol

I noticed it like a month or two ago when we were all having a similar conversation. People would point out all these characters, especially ones in this arc, and other would go discount them simply for not being attractive.

It just feels like, for some, instead of wanting more representation they want a very specific thing and anything that doesn't fill that niche doesn't count.

Is it wrong not to wish for a sexy and badass female villain? It seems the female villains in OP have to be ugly or really old if they want to be powerful or threatening.
I'd also like to know what Alvida's up to these days

Personally, I just want more female fighters that can actually hold their own on a fight, like be capable in the New World. It's why I like Carrot so much right now.

If you're discounting characters because they're not bombshell attractive, then yea it is. It undercuts your entire point.

LotusHD

Banned
I noticed it like a month or two ago when we were all having a similar conversation. People would point out all these characters, especially ones in this arc, and other would go discount them simply for not being attractive.

It just feels like, for some, instead of wanting more representation they want a very specific thing and anything that doesn't fill that niche doesn't count.

If you're discounting characters if they're not bombshell attractive, then yea it is. It undercuts your entire point.

Which characters?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Which characters?

The one I remember the most is Big Mom herself. She's threatening and scary and hits every note you want a villain to hit, but she don't count.

There were a couple more, but we'd have to dig back into the thread to find them.

Ray Down

Banned

This is one of the reasons I stopped listening to the OPP for a bit.

turmoil

Banned
They don't have to be sexy as far as I'm (consciously) concerned. Caterina Devon has potential but she is endgame. Pudding went down massively. BM is misguided and her decision making looks to be handicapped by things she can't control. Before the timeskip I didn't think about this alot, then I registered on gaf lol, but even though Monet was great the two Dessrosa Namies were punchable, and that left me with the wish of having characters that aren't the classical Oda formula when it comes to women.

LotusHD

Banned
I dunno why anyone would say Big Mom doesn't count. Honestly I don't remember any of this you're bringing up.

I do myself and others remember occasionally stating that I liked Pudding because she breaks the whole helpful princess type trope, that thank god she actually turned out to be an antagonist. I dunno if that's part of what you're referring to.

Ray Down

Banned
is that what they do a lot?

Nah they don't do it alot but it a bit of an ax to grind with some of the members of the podcast, doesn't help this arc has had an increase in female particpation.

Going by arguements said members, they do want a evil antagnist thats pretty that doesn't get redemeed.

Top Bottom