• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Entropia

No One Remembers
What the Hell? I've had three commercials. One before the opening theme, one after the recap, and one between the spyglass bumpers.

Entropia said:
What the Hell? I've had three commercials. One before the opening theme, one after the recap, and one between the spyglass bumpers.

You get commercials during yours? I dont ever get any.

Fun episode. Once again it was one of those where I was kind of in awe at the flashbacks since I hadnt seen them animated. Nico Robins seemed powerful.

Griffith

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
I was always confused about this...why was it rumored that Robin sunk 6 ships as a child? That never happened...
The government spread that rumour as part of the cover up for what happened at Ohara. Makes it easier to explain the high bounty for a child and make people fear her.

Griffith said:
The government spread that rumour as part of the cover up for what happened at Ohara. Makes it easier to explain the high bounty for a child and make people fear her.

Oh, that makes sense...don't know why I didn't think of that.

I'm up to chapter 29, seems like a light hearted manga, but I just can't see to take any of it seriously, luffys made of rubber? doesn't that kinda make him invincible, I'm not getting into it much at the moment

UnblessedSoul said:
I'm up to chapter 29, seems like a light hearted manga, but I just can't see to take any of it seriously, luffys made of rubber? doesn't that kinda make him invincible, I'm not getting into it much at the moment

Nope. The most basic thing is he can't swim. Just keep reading.

UnblessedSoul said:

You should keep on reading it starts slow but gets much better later on.
Luffy is far from invincible you not see the really crazy guys yet .
If you can't take the jokes , art style or quirkiness of some chars that not going to change so it might not be for you .

Wiseblade

UnblessedSoul said:
Luffy's totally vulnerable to being cut, and even blunt attacks can harm him if there's enough power behind it. The East Blue arc does make him look pretty invincible though.

Just stick with it. OP starts out a little slow for some people but once the gang makes it on to the Grand Line (Spoilers: They go to the Grand Line) things start picking up fast.

789shadow

Banned
Wiseblade said:
Luffy's totally vulnerable to being cut, and even blunt attacks can harm him if there's enough power behind it. The East Blue arc does make him look pretty invincible though.

Just stick with it. OP starts out a little slow for some people but once the gang makes it on to the Grand Line (Spoilers: They go to the Grand Line) things start picking up fast.
Whiskey Peak is pretty much when shit gets real. And Mihawk's appearance in Baratie pretty much is your first taste of the ungodly powerful guys in Grand Line.

Cwarrior

One piec 515

Great touching episode ,paceing was fast covering a lot in 1 episode, really nice to see all those good moments reanimated in hd(not just using the old original 4:3).

really wanna see zoro vs baboon king

Uchip said:
the filler is almost over
i can feeeeel it

If you think this is filler you're going to be sad when actual filler inevitably shows up. It's been forever since we've had a bunch of filler episodes.

Uchip

Banned
smurfx said:
aren't they doing 1 chapter= 1 episode? its slow but it could be worse.

its more like 3/4 = 1 episode and its all out of order
3 pages being something like 7 minutes is crazy

Anth0ny

Uchip said:
i can feeeeel it

I lol'd.

It's really a shame they took the DBZ route to filler. I'd much rather they keep the non filler episodes fast paced and awesome, and give us huge filler arcs between arcs to pad it out. It may be painful watching week after week, but it's worth it in the long run.

Now we will just have to wait for One Piece Kai in 10 years. Have you ever tried to watch Thriller Bark? Impel down? Jesus, sooooooooo slow.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Anth0ny said:
I lol'd.

It's really a shame they took the DBZ route to filler. I'd much rather they keep the non filler episodes fast paced and awesome, and give us huge filler arcs between arcs to pad it out. It may be painful watching week after week, but it's worth it in the long run.

Now we will just have to wait for One Piece Kai in 10 years. Have you ever tried to watch Thriller Bark? Impel down? Jesus, sooooooooo slow.

The issue with One Piece Kai is that you're going to take a series that's likely going to be over 1000 episodes and reduce it to like 500. Either way, you're still getting a long series.

Anth0ny said:

Impel Down was considered slow? I remember that was the first arc that I started in the anime after rushing through the entire manga.

Wiseblade

Uchip said:
i can feeeeel it
Technically, none of this is filler. Stretched out and poorly paced? sure, but not filler.

EDIT: Does havbe to be between Naruto style filler hell and DBZ pacing? why can't the show just switch to a seasonal approach? Instead stretching Thriller Bark's 48 chapters into 45 episodes (good god, just typing that out makes it sound so much worse...), commission it as a 26 episode season and then take 5 months off. You'll end up with a faster paced show and could probably save money that way too.

gundamkyoukai said:
If you can't take the jokes , art style or quirkiness of some chars that not going to change so it might not be for you .
I dont know, I kinda hated all that stuff in the beginning. Now it's reason why im still watching One Piece even though I gave up on every other anime/manga

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Anth0ny said:
I lol'd.

You really want One Piece to use a Bleach style "15 episodes of canon -> 25 episodes of filler" method? Really? There's a reason why Naruto and Bleach have had their TV ratings tank over time despite high manga readership and popularity while One Piece's TV ratings remain near the top of the charts.

1 chapter = 1 episode is a way better alternative, for the most part. It's not without its flaws and some parts can drag, but overall I'd much rather have the One Piece I actually want to see on a weekly basis rather than have a bunch of crap for 4 months before we get back to something tolerable again.

Wiseblade said:
EDIT: Does havbe to be between Naruto style filler hell and DBZ pacing? why can't the show just switch to a seasonal approach? Instead stretching Thriller Bark's 48 chapters into 45 episodes (good god, just typing that out makes it sound so much worse...), commission it as a 26 episode season and then take 5 months off. You'll end up with a faster paced show and could probably save money that way too.

Simple because OP brings in allot of money .
You have a show that is watch by millions of people every week just think about the advertising money they making .
Also with OP being a kid show it going off and on might not keep the viewership they have now.

Anth0ny

MetatronM said:
You really want One Piece to use a Bleach style "15 episodes of canon -> 25 episodes of filler" method? Really? There's a reason why Naruto and Bleach have had their TV ratings tank over time despite high manga readership and popularity while One Piece's TV ratings remain near the top of the charts.

Yeah, don't really care about tv ratings. As long as the manga is selling 2.5 million+ copies oer volume, I'm pretty sure One Piece is doing fine.

1 chapter = 1 episode is a way better alternative, for the most part. It's not without its flaws and some parts can drag, but overall I'd much rather have the One Piece I actually want to see on a weekly basis rather than have a bunch of crap for 4 months before we get back to something tolerable again.

Well, that's the thing. This isn't the One Piece I actually want to see on a weekly basis. I pretty much tune in to the anime to see how they do certain scenes. As opposed to watching it for what is it. Bad pacing suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I'd take filler arcs any day.

bathala

Banned
haven't watched 2 previous episode. I guess I'm not missing much.

just gonna make backlog and marathon it again. Fall TV show is starting anyway

Anth0ny said:
Yeah, don't really care about tv ratings. As long as the manga is selling 2.5 million+ copies oer volume, I'm pretty sure One Piece is doing fine.

Well, that's the thing. This isn't the One Piece I actually want to see on a weekly basis. I pretty much tune in to the anime to see how they do certain scenes. As opposed to watching it for what is it. Bad pacing suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I'd take filler arcs any day.
Yeah when it's all and done filler arcs can be skipped easily. The dragged on episodes cannot because all of it is dragged on.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Anime and Manga certainly have different pacing requirements. What can take half a chapter in the manga may only require 2 minutes in an anime.

I think the anime is almost ahead enough at this point that they could probably fit 1-2 chapters into the anime. Of course it'll catch up eventually and we'd get filler...

DR2K

Banned
I'm getting into the series, actually I'm on episode 138 so far. It's been amazing so far, how could such a great series slip under my radar?

Do the movies have have connection with the series? Or is it like the Naruto movies?

CSSer

DR2K said:
I'm getting into the series, actually I'm on episode 138 so far. It's been amazing so far, how could such a great series slip under my radar?

Do the movies have have connection with the series? Or is it like the Naruto movies?

Most of the movies aren't cannon, besides Strong World, and the Alabasta recap movie 8.

Blair

Banned
DR2K said:

Watch the movies when you are done with the series. Well actually, i only fully watched movies 4, 6 and 10, the rest were meh.

Oh, the preview was cool. Can't wait to see
nami shoving usopps face into her tits lol

DR2K said:

I cant understand why this is not huge in America, I found it on accident (started around water 7) I was on a popular site were people like to share things and its was all over so I decided to check it out.

Im gonna miss the we fight together, its my fav into song so far.

So I've always heard that One Piece was, at its core, a kids show and/or a show whose target audience was kids. And I always followed this notion since a little blood, a couple curses, and some cartoon violence is all in good fun. And I know that this is also a show that has managed to attract an audience that spans practically all ages, and I'm sure the producers are aware of this and will make some nods their way in the show from time to time. But holy mother of gumu gumu was I genuinely shocked by ep 341:
the scene wherein Absalom assaults a naked Nami in the shower room. Even though steam censored everything, it came right out of left field for me and the way it went down left me perturbed. Not so much the amount of her skin that was shown, but moreso the way he grabbed her and forced her into a submissive position, while she was naked.
I mean, I really don't think it's some cultural clash that's causing me to just simply misunderstand the significance (or lack thereof) of the scene, because I'm no stranger to this. I dunno, I feel like the way I phrased this post makes me come off as a little over-dramatic and that I'm making a bigger deal than it probably is, but it still didn't sit right with me. I'd love to hear what gaf thought of it, or if gaf really didn't think much of it. I need some food for thought.

Top Bottom