• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Cwarrior

x
D
Y

I don't get what the tattoo says(am with zoro on this one)
edit:eek:h i get it now

Always love after an arc ends they show what’s going on around the world with all the hot shots,

The part with buggy thinking raylie maybe related to luffy is just a joke(he just assuming from luffy haveing connections to all those big time guys)

2th said:
Oda would be a fool to even try doing that. Luffy with haki now would completely obliterate Enel like he already did before.

Haki wouldn't make a difference, luffy could already touch him and is immune to lightning.

upandaway

Honestly way too many things were spoiled in this thread that I just don't understand why anime-only peeps even bother with this thread. How many times was the
time skip and reunion
spoiled by now? I just feel bad for them.

Cwarrior said:
Haki wouldn't make a difference, luffy could already touch him and is immune to lightning.
If anything, Enel would be the one who would benefit from Haki in a refight with Luffy.

upandaway said:
Honestly way too many things were spoiled in this thread that I just don't understand why anime-only peeps even bother with this thread. How many times was the
time skip and reunion

Luffy saying he was going back to Marineford was a big letdown to me.

Big One

Banned
upandaway said:
time skip and reunion
Yeah and the 3D tatoo was shown before iirc. Didn't the Strawhats all see when Luffy was at Marineford?

Griffith

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Yes, it was A S C E with the S crossed out. The tattoo guy made a mistake spelling his name. I shit you not.
No, that's just an old fan theory that has somehow been accepted as fact. Oda said in Databook Green that the crossed out S stands for Sabo.

Mikey Jr.

Griffith said:
No, that's just an old fan theory that has somehow been accepted as fact. Oda said in Databook Green that the crossed out S stands for Sabo.

Yeah, heard it so many times that I guess I thought it was true.

Honestly, I like the idea that it was a mistake, better. Just makes it funny.

Cwarrior

upandaway said:
time skip and reunion

Yeah I follow the anime (read the manga later to compare), those mangawankers ruined a lot of marineford for me
ace death, time skip and shanks showing up at marineford.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The tattoo isnt the only indicator of the meaning, didnt he also ring the bell like twice the amount of ringing in a new year? Or was it more...

Cwarrior said:
Yeah I follow the anime (read the manga later to compare), those mangawankers ruined a lot of marineford for me
ace death, time skip and shanks showing up at marineford.

It's tough when there's only one thread. I don't see why people can't resist themselves but big events like that are bound to get out. It's why I switched to the manga again many years ago because I was afraid of learning the big things.

Cwarrior said:

It would make the fight much easier for Luffy .

Any way i really looking forward to the new intro when it comes out it better be awesome as hell.

Steroyd

upandaway said:
If anything, Enel would be the one who would benefit from Haki in a refight with Luffy.

Enel already had the Haki-esque predict-a-move thing (forgot what it was called), and still lost, there's no benefit of a refight on his end at all.

Mikey Jr.

VGChampion said:
It's tough when there's only one thread. I don't see why people can't resist themselves but big events like that are bound to get out. It's why I switched to the manga again many years ago because I was afraid of learning the big things.

I stopped reading the manga pretty much around this time where the anime starts (saw a few episodes after). So everything after this is pretty fresh.

I can honestly say I haven't been spoiled about anything yet. I have zero clue whats happening in the manga, so its not really that hard to not get spoiled in my opinion.

Enel accomplished his dream though. That pretty much rules him out as a villain.

I guess he could be some sort of chaotic neutral character roaming around for whatever reason.

Big One

Banned
Stealth Editor said:
Enel accomplished his dream though. That pretty much rules him out as a villain.

I guess he could be some sort of chaotic neutral character roaming around for whatever reason.
Yeah Oda says that once villains have their dreams crushed, they stop being a villain. Enel is kind of inverse to that.

Hence why Crocodile was perfectly okay with helping Luffy, Luffy pretty much owned his ass and destroyed his ambitions of getting Pluton.

Also on Crocodile, am I the only one who thinks he's gonna turn out to be a Revolutionary spy who decided to take it too far by finding and using Pluton to destroy the World Government?

Crocodile will marry mister 1 in a private ceremony and retire from piracy forever. He'll transform back into a woman for 9 months, have 1 kid and go back to being a man

Mikey Jr.

Stealth Editor said:
Crocodile will marry mister 1 in a private ceremony and retire from piracy forever. He'll transform back into a woman for 9 months, have 1 kid and go back to being a man

We still don't know about the while thing between Ivankov and Crocodile, do we?

Anth0ny

News!

Hiroshi Kitadani, the original signer of We Are! will be singing a new version of it that will likely be used as an insert song along with the final episode before the new arc, which will air on the 24/25th of September.

Brace for awesome.

bathala

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
It was in the manga. Though they expanded on it with a few extra lines.
ah ok. I thought it was just added there by the anime to make it longer.

(also I still want to believe that bird guy died from the bomb)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Dedication Through Light said:
I thought One Piece was some object or something, not...that he left everything together in one piece.

No one really knows WHAT One Piece is, yet. For all we know it's a slip of paper in a treasure chest reading "the journey was the real treasure."

But that dubbed intro sure isn't something to take seriously one way or the other.

Mikey Jr.

Tathanen said:
No one really knows WHAT One Piece is, yet. For all we know it's a slip of paper in a treasure chest reading "the journey was the real treasure."

But that dubbed intro sure isn't something to take seriously one way or the other.

I know it's going to be that.

Just something really fucking cheesy.

Anth0ny

Mikey Jr. said:

If Oda actually delivers on the one piece when the series ends after 20 years... he truly is a god.

If it's just a bunch of gold, or "THE ADVENTURE AND FRIENDS YOU MADE ALONG THE WAY WAS THE TREASURE", I'm fine with that. Quite frankly, I don't really care all that much about the one piece anymore. I love these characters, I love this world and I love the story being told. How they get to One Piece is what I care about, not so much the treasure itself.

upandaway

Mikey Jr. said:

I'm thinking One Piece is actually about exposing the secrets of the WG and the Lost Century, telling of how bad they are or something. Roger kept it quiet since he was dying anyway, leaving it to a new generation to deal with it. Then Luffy'll get One Piece, deal with the WG based on what's written there, and become Pirate King, end.

I'm willing to bet money it won't just be that sort of cheesy message (and I'm willing to bet money Luffy won't die at the end, either).

Steroyd

Mikey Jr. said:

It can't be that cheesy otherwise the World Government wouldn't have had their panties in a twist when Gold Roger proclaimed One Piece's existance and when Whitebeard re-affirmed that.

Mikey Jr. said:

Well it is fantasy to an extent and in the genre...the most coveted item is always anticlimactic. I imagine it will be 1000 chapters by the time its found and it wont compare to the hype build up. I know...Oda could just show it off panel, off screen...

Trevelyon

One Piece is the journey maaaaaaan, not the end reward.

But honestly, I don't really care about what One Piece is or Raftel or any of that stuff, maybe when we closer to it'll be more interesting.

Anth0ny

there were some pretty priceless shots of Chopper's face in that episode :lol

And that was a flashback using movie 9 footage right? I have a feeling we're going to be having a lot of flashbacks in the next couple of episodes =/

duckroll

One Piece - Baron Festival and the Secret Island

Sometimes a recommendation can seem unbelievable. A currently well known director once directed the sixth in a line of spin-off movies for an extremely popular mass market shounen fighting anime series known to have relatively low production values because it continues to run after hundreds of episodes. This movie is said to have been of such quality that it puts even his most recent original work to shame. Could it be? Is it an exaggeration? Maybe something born out of lowered expectations? No, it is exactly what was promised - not only one of the best animated movies based on a licensed property I have seen, but possibly the most mature direction to have come out of a Japanese animation film in the last decade.

This is one film where I feel that talking about the whys and the hows of the film would not do it justice, nor would it be fair to discuss characterizations, plot, or even setting. Not knowing anything about the movie beforehand if possible, is the ideal way to enjoy this. Not because of expectations, but simply because it would be doing yourself justice to experience the movie as it was intended. What I can do instead to convince those who are considering watching it, but do not know if it would be really worth their time, is to discuss how the movie made me feel, and where I felt the movie succeeded beyond the average movie made.

The film does not feel like a story told merely through narrative action. Instead of a piece that is communicated to the audience via script and information provided from dialogue and visuals, the tale here is one which attempts to connect with the audience on a completely emotional level using the invoking of feelings and tonal shifts. Every single scene in the movie, and every part of every scene from the visuals, to the camera angles, to the music, the sound effects, the movement of the characters, and the individual length of a scene, are specifically to invoke specific feelings from the viewer to carry across the same feelings a character might be feeling, or how the overall tone of the movie is moving from one stage to another.

The storytelling and build up in the movie reminds me of a concert, a musical, and even much older western cartoons, where what is expressed in the work feels like the work itself, rather than just an element of what is being presented. It is something so natural, so simple, so elemental, and yet so hard to pull off that almost no one ever tries. It can fail so easily if mismanaged, but when successful it is magical.

This movie is magical. It is beautiful. It is art. Rarely have I seen something which makes me completely satisfied, but this is one of those films. It is a complete showpiece of the talent of the director, and the talent of all the staff he has assembled, who clearly believed in his vision. For it to have been just a spin-off movie for a long running popular shounen series just makes it that much more bold.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island - Really good, this movie is a pretty solid showcase of Hosada directorial talent, like the digimon movies before them; he manages to portray a very distinctive atmosphere for the series, while at the same time not feeling out-of-place with the franchise. In some ways this also felt like a precursor to "The Girl who leapt through time" it kind of follows a similar tone progression, with the first half being light-hearted and low-key and then erupting in a more serious and darker tone in the second half.

Overall - I highly recommend this film, if you are a fan of hosada work in any other way, you definitely owe yourself to watch this film, even if you aren't particularly a fan of the franchise, it's just that good!

Branduil

One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island

I want to hurt the people who subbed this One Piece movie so, so badly.

That was pretty good. Hosoda, as always, is one of the best directors when it comes to having characters interact and play off of one another. The story itself was alright, though the endless chants of nakama get pretty old after a while. Some of the CGI and compositing was distracting, though there were some pretty nice shots too.

Overall, it's not as good as TGWLTT, but it's probably better than Summer Wars.

Jex

[Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island a.k.a One Piece Movie Six a.k.a That Movie done by Mamoru Hosoda]

I was reminded of some pretty curious works while watching this movie: Beautiful Dreamer, Revolutionary Girl Utena The Movie, among others. When I'm reminded of those kinds of works its usually a good thing, because what I'm watching must be pretty special.

I have no experience with the One Piece franchise and, from my experiences with the movie, you certainly don't need one to appreciate this movie. Going too far into the 'plot' is difficult because the story isn't particularly complicated, but a lot of the really interesting pieces are undoubtedly spoilers. I can talk about the characters, who have a really enjoyable set of interactions across the movie that really don't come across as forced. You feel that you get to know the important things about this small but interesting range of characters. It was pretty important that this worked as well as it did, because the movie would have fallen apart without it.

What's important was just how enjoyable the film was too watch. Rather than the well realised down-to-earth nature of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or the exaggerated but somewhat bland Summer Wars this film really goes pretty wild with it's visuals and imagery. There was never amount where I felt the film was being too lazy and traditional, something weird and cool and energetic was pretty much happening the whole time through.

I would go into some discussion about the tone and mood of the film but, much like the discussion of the plot, that would just be spoilerz and I don't even know if enough people have seen the film at this point.

Which is a damn shame. Being the the 6th One Piece movie doesn't make it that attractive or noticeable to people who aren't already One Piece fans, I imagine. That was the misconception I had before checking out this work, and it was totally wrong. If you're a fan of Hosoda's other works, or a fan of good movies in general, you should really give this movie a shot. It's one of the best anime movies that I've seen in awhile. It's certainly far better than Summer Wars.

Firestorm

I remember watching this years and years ago. I remember liking it. I think it was back when the rule of thumb was "watch the even number ones, skip the odd number ones" for One Piece movies. I should give it another watch.

iavi

One Piece Movie 6

That really was something else. The direction--in terms of scene setting, story-boarding, and sound-- was impeccable. The CG, while heavily prevalent in a large portion of scenes, was composited adequately enough with its color scale of orange and earth-tones that it, along with the muted colors of the rest of the film, ended up adding a sense of 'maturity' & liveliness to the film I really don't feel it would've had otherwise. And the narrative structure--my priority in front of all--was so on point I wanted to cry.

As the dynamic between the crew has always been the biggest draw to One Piece, imo, and I'm glad to say that somebody capable of working with the series shared that opinion. Hosada, rather than focus on super flashy fights that the series is more than capable of, decided instead to take that one aspect and center an original arc around the deconstruction of it. A decision that worked wonders, really.

So many wonders, the only real critique that I can think up, ironically enough, also has to do with the deconstruction of that broship--namely, while it was done with well in most cases, there were times that it felt incredibly forced, and needlessly drawn out, if only to reiterate that, yes: They were not getting along--at all. It's a small blight on an otherwise beautiful film, but nothing is perfect.

Dresden

It was pretty good. I liked it. More somber tone than I expected, and the interplay between the cast was handled well. Charming movie.

Uchip

Banned
lol
animegaf invasion to post about the movie they saw together
ill have to rewatch this movie some time soon, dont remember it being THAT good

Top Bottom