• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

LordAlu

Dedication Through Light said:
Choppers part was pretty good in the episode. Otherwise, I wonder why T Law isnt heading out to the new world like the others.
Wait until the mass crowd of pirates is thinned out = less pirates to deal with when they do go in?

Nice to hear all the super positive movie 6 reviews, it's actually been my long standing favourite for a long time, so hearing people agree about it (and for the right reasons too) does please me.

Anth0ny

Is there a reason why everyone is watching movie 6 all of a sudden? lol.

Movie 6 is my most wanted One Piece movie. If they localized this and Strong World, I'd be happy. I love it so much, and Tate's animation style is one of my favorites for One Piece. So good.

I've been considering importing the blu ray...

Mikey Jr.

Anth0ny said:

Movie 6 is my most wanted One Piece movie. If they localized this and Strong World, I'd be happy. I love it so much, and Tate's animation style is one of my favorites for One Piece. So good.

Movie 6 is really weird to me.

The artstyle is drastically different, and while it starts out light-hearted like One Piece, it turns very dark quickly. Almost like a complete contrast to One Piece.

Anth0ny said:

Also wondering this.

Uchip

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Movie 6 is really weird to me.

The artstyle is drastically different, and while it starts out light-hearted like One Piece, it turns very dark quickly. Almost like a complete contrast to One Piece.

it did seem very experimental

Reknoc

Anth0ny said:

Jexhius brought it up in the anime thread when everyone was talking about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Is there a good way to get caught up on One Piece? I stopped watching around episode ~300 (Vegapunk was subbing). Would like to pick it back up.

I see that FUNimation is actually offering "official" subs in fairly high quality streaming, for free: http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

...man the anime scene has changed since I started watching one piece ~7 years ago, ha. If stuff like this existed then, the fansub scene would look very different.

So... is that the best option? I mean I'm sure there might be some Weaboo complaints about what Funimation has done with the translation, but would it be good enough for me to get caught up / re-watch? I'm leaning towards this because:

1) It's legal. Wanna support the scene in at least a small way.
2) Consistent quality. Who knows what you're getting with some 500 episode "one piece subbed high quality" torrent.
3) Ease. Streaming!

Fake Edit: I see there is a gap in Funimation's subs. It goes from 205 to 391. Is Funimation still closing that gap? Who is the best fan group to turn to for those missing eps? Kaizoku-Fansubs until 300, then where?

Entropia

No One Remembers
GDJustin said:
Is there a good way to get caught up on One Piece? I stopped watching around episode ~300 (Vegapunk was subbing). Would like to pick it back up.

I see that FUNimation is actually offering "official" subs in fairly high quality streaming, for free: http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

...man the anime scene has changed since I started watching one piece ~7 years ago, ha. If stuff like this existed then, the fansub scene would look very different.

So... is that the best option? I mean I'm sure there might be some Weaboo complaints about what Funimation has done with the translation, but would it be good enough for me to get caught up / re-watch? I'm leaning towards this because:

2) Consistent quality. Who knows what you're getting with some 500 episode "one piece subbed high quality" torrent.
3) Ease. Streaming!

Fake Edit: I see there is a gap in Funimation's subs. It goes from 205 to 391. Is Funimation still closing that gap? Who is the best fan group to turn to for those missing eps? Kaizoku-Fansubs until 300, then where?

Once Funimation started doing their subs I stopped going to VegaPunk and the like.

I haven't looked at the OP subbing scene in awhile, but I think there still might be some sub groups that are subbing it on their own after it airs in Japan.

EDIT: Apparently vegapunk doesn't exist anymore!

GDJustin

Entropia said:
Once Funimation started doing their subs I stopped going to VegaPunk and the like.

I haven't looked at the OP subbing scene in awhile, but I think there still might be some sub groups that are subbing it on their own after it airs in Japan.

EDIT: Apparently vegapunk doesn't exist anymore!

There are ton of subbing groups. I did a bunch of research into them last night before I realized Funimation was doing nice subs.

The issue is that Funimation still has a big, 180 episode gap. I need some advice on where to turn to close that gap. K-F will get me about halfway there.

Firestorm

My path back in the day was:

K-F -> BalF (should not be needed) -> GeruSama (should not be needed anymore) -> ADC-Elites -> VegaPunk -> yibis (and some other random groups before yibis established itself) -> Funimation iirc

I think you only need to go K-F -> VegaPunk -> yibis -> Funimation but might need to ADC in the middle.

Mikey Jr.

GDJustin said:

3) Ease. Streaming!

http://www.yibis.com/index.php?wwwRedirect

Yibis is the best right now me thinks.

Anth0ny

if only there was an easy place "watch one piece". I doubt google would help. Especially not the second result.

By the way if you are in the united states most of the episodes should be on hulu. Everywhere else... FUNimation hates us.

GDJustin

Mikey Jr. said:
http://www.yibis.com/index.php?wwwRedirect

Yibis is the best right now me thinks.

I appreciate the tip but they don't actually close the Funimation gap.

Anth0ny said:
if only there was an easy place "watch one piece". I doubt google would help. Especially not the second result.

By the way if you are in the united states most of the episodes should be on hulu. Everywhere else... FUNimation hates us.

Yeah. I did a spot-check of this yesterday when I was first looking into it. Obviously all the K-F stuff is fine, later stuff is... questionable.

I think I'm being a little silly about this TBH. I'm just going to dive in, because the odds are fucking slim I'll still be interested after re-watching the ~300 eps I watched back in 2005.

Anth0ny

I don't think I have it in me to watch the ENTIRE series again in anime form. I go back to my favorites every once in a while (Bellamy fight, really the entire Loguetown arc), but I'll wait for One Piece Kai to watch the entire thing again.

Or read the manga. That works too.

qazqaNii

Oh man, first I thought this was the "One Piece"-clothing thread, so whats the talk in here talking about the manga or the anime?

Mikey Jr.

Anth0ny said:
I don't think I have it in me to watch the ENTIRE series again in anime form. I go back to my favorites every once in a while (Bellamy fight, really the entire Loguetown arc), but I'll wait for One Piece Kai to watch the entire thing again.

Or read the manga. That works too.

A Kai version would be amazing. As much as I love the anime, they really pad that shit out sometimes.

I finished watching the series again and I just love how coherent the storyline is. Everything fits together, their actions, the people they meet etc. It doesn't just jump into and arc and forget the previous characters and their purposes.

I am looking at you BLEACH!!!!

I would love a Kai version. I'd imagine it would happen years after the anime is done and the franchise interest is dying down. That's like 15+ years.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island: I only have vague knowledge of One Piece from the constant praise it gets on the interwebz and by my nakama, but the length of the work has kept me away from trying to get into it. Even so, I came out from this film not feeling like I missed anything -the characters were immediately interesting and endearing; I actually felt for them when shit broke loose. However, it is the antagonists that make the show -the spotlight is on Luffy's band, but the story is definitely that of Baron Omatsuri and the two-sided nature of the camaraderie he forged with his crew.

Great action even if the CGI is not convincing. The soundtrack was fun to listen and engaging when necessary. There's a great shift in tone from one half of the movie to the other, but it doesn't feel unnatural. My only complaint would be that the film ends too soon. I wanted to see what Luffy and co. got out of the ordeal, as well as to get a glimpse at the future of the mustache-man and the family.

Bonus: Chopper and Robin cosplay!

fvGGxl.jpg

9 nakama out of 10, not sure if better than Summer Wars.

Anth0ny said:

Probably because we discovered it was directed by Mamoru Hosoda.

So um real talk guys, I want to watch from say... skypiea to now(I know, I know). Where and how would I go about doing that? Is this even feasible? If the subject matter is not kosher I apologize.

FreeMufasa

Have any of you guys seen the 3D special? What did you think of it?

I suprisingly like the graphics which I was expecting to hate. Story was standard OP filler fair though. Which is great by the general anime standards.

LetsGoKiting said:
I would love a Kai version. I'd imagine it would happen years after the anime is done and the franchise interest is dying down. That's like 15+ years.

I think its too many episodes to make a Kai version feasible. What would it do? Cut down 1000 episodes into 500?

LetsGoKiting said:

I hope they do it, but Fuck re-airing just Kai it to blu ray....

Skipping filler used to be my OP Kai but now I ant even do that because they stretch each episode to a demonic level.

I dont mind too much because I only watch 1 per week but if I had to marathon Water7, TB and Impel Down, I would go absolutely insane.

Stealth Editor said:
Skipping filler used to be my OP Kai but now I ant even do that because they stretch each episode to a demonic level.

I dont mind too much because I only watch 1 per week but if I had to marathon Water7, TB and Impel Down, I would go absolutely insane.

Marathon 300 eps, when I started they were 300 in, Skypiea arc almost made me quit,Thriller Bark too(worst arc in OP) I take breaks when I watch this series I let them finish arcs before I watch, i haven't watched since the end of war...

Urban Scholar said:
So um real talk guys, I want to watch from say... skypiea to now(I know, I know). Where and how would I go about doing that? Is this even feasible? If the subject matter is not kosher I apologize.

Funimation has all the episodes streaming.

Go for it. Shouldn't be too bad if you skip the filler and 5+ minute recaps. Probably like 60 hours.

GDJustin

cosmicblizzard said:
Funimation has all the episodes streaming.

Go for it. Shouldn't be too bad if you skip the filler and 5+ minute recaps. Probably like 60 hours.

Why do people keep saying this... no they don't. As I addressed on this very page Funi still has a ~180 ep gap. They are closing it, though. Subbing about one old episode a week.

Firestorm

Urban Scholar said:
Kaizoku-Fansubs -> Vegapunk -> yibis -> Funimation

I remember having to watch Skypiea with the most horrible subs (HK subs? something like that)

They couldnt even get the name right... Roofy, Zolo, etc. Everything was just awful.

GDJustin said:
Why do people keep saying this... no they don't. As I addressed on this very page Funi still has a ~180 ep gap. They are closing it, though. Subbing about one old episode a week.

Oh whoops. Thought they did. Where's the gap?

Firestorm

Stealth Editor said:
I remember having to watch Skypiea with the most horrible subs (HK subs? something like that)

They couldnt even get the name right... Roofy, Zolo, etc. Everything was just awful.
BalF? I think I had K-F for Skyia but I had to use BalF for Davy Back Fight before I could switch to Gerusama and it was soooo bad.

Nowadays it looks like you can skip BalF, Geru-Sama, and ADC-Elites although the latter two were pretty damn good.

Cwarrior

One piece 513

Akanu shows his the top boss, his even got bb and crew running.

I remember waiting for kf to sub skypia at incredible slow rate of 1 episode every 3 weeks if you’re lucky, some times you wouldn't get an episode for 2 months, the only alternative was hk subs which was unwatchable.

You know where kf is now, jumped ship around 2007 when they where on the beginning of water 7, 4 years later there still on enis lobby.

Maron

GDJustin said:
Fake Edit: I see there is a gap in Funimation's subs. It goes from 205 to 391. Is Funimation still closing that gap?

FUNimation is gonna work on closing that gap once Toei stops dicking them around on getting them more episodes to dub. They want to do more, but OP makes so much money for Toei in Japan that I doubt they would have any problem with just taking the license away from them.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
According to the good folks at ArlongPark, the next opening will be called "We Go!" by Hiroshi Kitadani. That's right, a sequel song to We Are!

Top Bottom