• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Blair

Banned
Lavalamp1138 said:
So I've always heard that One Piece was, at its core, a kids show and/or a show whose target audience was kids. And I always followed this notion since a little blood, a couple curses, and some cartoon violence is all in good fun. And I know that this is also a show that has managed to attract an audience that spans practically all ages, and I'm sure the producers are aware of this and will make some nods their way in the show from time to time. But holy mother of gumu gumu was I genuinely shocked by ep 341:
the scene wherein Absalom assaults a naked Nami in the shower room. Even though steam censored everything, it came right out of left field for me and the way it went down left me perturbed. Not so much the amount of her skin that was shown, but moreso the way he grabbed her and forced her into a submissive position, while she was naked.
I mean, I really don't think it's some cultural clash that's causing me to just simply misunderstand the significance (or lack thereof) of the scene, because I'm no stranger to this. I dunno, I feel like the way I phrased this post makes me come off as a little over-dramatic and that I'm making a bigger deal than it probably is, but it still didn't sit right with me. I'd love to hear what gaf thought of it, or if gaf really didn't think much of it. I need some food for thought.

its ok, everyone in one piece is asexual.

Boogiepop

Well, I'm very much considering starting up watching the show online, as it'll take forever for the current stuff to get over here on DVD anyway. (I read the manga as it's released over here so I'm more or less up to date, but still.) It'll definitely be interesting to see the stuff coming up in motion.

Lavalamp1138 said:
So I've always heard that One Piece was, at its core, a kids show and/or a show whose target audience was kids. And I always followed this notion since a little blood, a couple curses, and some cartoon violence is all in good fun. And I know that this is also a show that has managed to attract an audience that spans practically all ages, and I'm sure the producers are aware of this and will make some nods their way in the show from time to time. But holy mother of gumu gumu was I genuinely shocked by ep 341:
the scene wherein Absalom assaults a naked Nami in the shower room. Even though steam censored everything, it came right out of left field for me and the way it went down left me perturbed. Not so much the amount of her skin that was shown, but moreso the way he grabbed her and forced her into a submissive position, while she was naked.
I mean, I really don't think it's some cultural clash that's causing me to just simply misunderstand the significance (or lack thereof) of the scene, because I'm no stranger to this. I dunno, I feel like the way I phrased this post makes me come off as a little over-dramatic and that I'm making a bigger deal than it probably is, but it still didn't sit right with me. I'd love to hear what gaf thought of it, or if gaf really didn't think much of it. I need some food for thought.

I didn't think much of that since it wasn't too bad overall. Shonen Jump always has some pretty risque stuff really. You should check out some of the perverted stuff they have in Gintama, another Shonen Jump manga/anime, lolz. Sometimes I wonder how/why Gintama is in Shonen Jump.

Lavalamp1138 said:

I did not really think much of it , OP is base of a manga for teens so that not really a big deal.
Plus it not like he did anything to her really and it's not like she under age .

Blair said:
its ok, everyone in one piece is asexual.

I know this is a joke but that's not true at like .
We have brook and sanji then ussop who has a girl he like.
Just Oda does not care about putting that in his manga other than it being a joke Boa being the perfect eg of this.

Bel Marduk said:
I didn't think much of that since it wasn't too bad overall. Shonen Jump always has some pretty risque stuff really. You should check out some of the perverted stuff they have in Gintama, another Shonen Jump manga/anime, lolz. Sometimes I wonder how/why Gintama is in Shonen Jump.

From what i see it's seem to be a culture thing Japan seem way more lax when it comes to sex\ perverted stuff.
This is a country where magical girls are naked and young as hell for there transformation parts .

DR2K

Banned
Artie Fissio said:
I cant understand why this is not huge in America, I found it on accident (started around water 7) I was on a popular site were people like to share things and its was all over so I decided to check it out.

It just hasn't been advertised correctly.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Artie Fissio said:
I cant understand why this is not huge in America, I found it on accident (started around water 7) I was on a popular site were people like to share things and its was all over so I decided to check it out.

Im gonna miss the we fight together, its my fav into song so far.

This is why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMTB-_4LAVQ

Plus, the art style seems to turn people off for some reason.

Maron

CSSer said:
Most of the movies aren't cannon, besides Strong World, and the Alabasta recap movie 8.

Not even Strong World has any place in the series. All of the movies should just be looked at as fun extra adventures to watch along with the show.

CSSer said:
Most of the movies aren't cannon, besides Strong World, and the Alabasta recap movie 8.

Alabasta movie is kinda a Kai version of the events but it changes too much to be still canon imo.

It also kinda depends how you want to define canon. OP fans usually only consider the manga itself canon, nothing else (besides Strong World "because Oda"...).

However, if you just want more OP (like me), then most stuff is canon with the OP universe.
Characters from a filler arc will probably never show up in the main storyline (i.e. the manga) because manga-only guys don't know the events nor would Oda use stuff he didn't write in the first place.
But actually in some cases scenes are just enhanced in the anime or you will get some additional info (e.g. the movie in which uses Luffy 2nd gear for the first time).

Occasionally there are some minor canon mistakes but that can easily be ignored.
However, movie 3 (features Chopper but not Vivi or Robin) and especially movie 9 (Drum Island arc recap with the Robin, Franky etc.) are very obviously not in line with the story of One Piece.

Lavalamp1138 said:

There's much worse stuff in Shounen Jump. Pretty sure there's blatant rape in some series. Ever hear of To-Love-Ru? Even that pales in comparison to some of the stuff they used to get away with like Fist of the North Star or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Steroyd said:
Oh wow, I flipped my wig when We Are started playing, very few OP's bring out that level of nostalgia on their first try.

Amen to this, that was a really nice surprise.

Can't wait for next week, glad we're not getting filler like some people feared.

Wiseblade

Neoriceisgood said:

Can't wait for next week, glad we're not getting filler like some people feared.
The preview shows that next week jumps straight to Post Time-Skip.

smurfx

get some go again
Neoriceisgood said:

i think there will be a huge break. oct 2 will be the return date.

smurfx

get some go again
Naxx said:
Damn, can't wait for the next episode. They should do a double ep, but they never do.
they won't waste episodes. bad enough that they sometimes don't use the complete manga chapter for an episode. btw there will be a new opening as well next week. same people who made the 1st opening song. i hope it has an opening quote by roger like the 1st openings did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NokxznEqHk

Glass Rebel

I usually don't post in this thread but I thought I'd share this (maybe old):

tFkiX.png

Naxx

smurfx said:
they won't waste episodes. bad enough that they sometimes don't use the complete manga chapter for an episode. btw there will be a new opening as well next week. same people who made the we are! song.

Uhm 2 eps doesn't always mean a "wasted" episode, just 2 eps.

smurfx

get some go again
Naxx said:
Uhm 2 eps doesn't always mean a "wasted" episode, just 2 eps.
i would rather they use 2 chapters and make 1 episode without filler. btw what are your fav 3 openings one piece gaf?

1. believe
2. bon voyage
3. hikari e

Wow, finally reached more of the Alabasata Arc. Episodes 94 and 95 are the highlights so far. The anime is giving me what I wish the manga gave, more moments with Ace and those fire powers. Oh and Luffy as the turtles Kung Fu master was too funny.

Crocodile's, Robin's and Ace's ENG VAs are great choices.

Diablos54

Awesome episode, We Are at the end was a perfect way to end the first half. And we're going straight into the action rather than months or a year of filler in Naruto's case (I will never forgive!). Can't wait for next week.

I really wish we were getting some full episode filler. It would make the actual show when important stuff is happening sooooo much better. I really hope they don't continue the trend of extreme slow pacing and just go with what fits the show.

Steroyd

Crakatak187 said:
Yeah it's easier to skip a filler episode then wading through padded episodes.

Easier to skip when there's hundreds of episodes to marathon, yes. On a week by week basis, it's tedium to the max, skipping the show for weeks maybe months at a time, until you just plain can't be bothered to get back into the show when the canon starts. It actually happened to me on naruto (on arcs I actually liked) and the exact same thing happened to Beelzebub.

Steroyd

StickSoldier said:
Haven't watched the new episode, but do we know if the TS is coming up next week or are they using fillers?

The preview for the next episode shows that the timeskip starts next week.

Steroyd said:
Easier to skip when there's hundreds of episodes to marathon, yes. On a week by week basis, it's tedium to the max, skipping the show for weeks maybe months at a time, until you just plain can't be bothered to get back into the show when the canon starts. It actually happened to me on naruto (on arcs I actually liked) and the exact same thing happened to Beelzebub.
Don't even mention Naruto. I still can't forgive that anime for the 100+ episodes of fillers and tons of filler arcs to this day. It's not surprising that the quality turned to shit after that 100 episodes of filler.

I tend to revisit past arcs that's why I prefer to have some fillers rather then the padded episodes we been having since Impel Down. Not saying the all the episodes wasn't padded to that extent, but it was paced better.

upandaway

Kokoro no Chizu, the current one and... hmm.

Hmm.

Share the World, I guess.

Hikari e is the one that spoiled Robin isn't it? Cool song, but man, I just can't forget that shit. That was so uncalled for.

upandaway said:
Way too many pro-filler people lately so I'll just say, I'd take 1:1 over fillers any day.

If I'm understanding you right I would be fine with one episode for one chapter but when they pad it out and add extra stuff it just gets so slow. I haven't really watched since the war so I can marathon the show again but watching those monkeys dance in one of Luffy's flashbacks just gets infuriating. I don't mind skipping weeks or months as long as they don't go the Naruto path and go years. I'd also be fine if a new episode came out every other week to give animators some time to really get all episodes looking great but that's just a pipe dream.

smurfx said:
btw what are your fav 3 openings one piece gaf?

1. believe
2. bon voyage
3. hikari e

1. Kaze wo Sagashite - first opening I saw in One Piece and I like the portions of the animated page spreads
2. Fight Together - I like the homages toward each crew member and their times with Luffy in terms of joining the crew
3. One Day or We Are (English)

upandaway

VGChampion said:
If I'm understanding you right I would be fine with one episode for one chapter but when they pad it out and add extra stuff it just gets so slow. I haven't really watched since the war so I can marathon the show again but watching those monkeys dance in one of Luffy's flashbacks just gets infuriating. I don't mind skipping weeks or months as long as they don't go the Naruto path and go years. I'd also be fine if a new episode came out every other week to give animators some time to really get all episodes looking great but that's just a pipe dream.
I ran into this in the manga thread too. I think I'm just the minority on this.

I just don't see any disadvantage to things moving slower. It's not that big of a deal if an episode didn't have that much content. I'd take slow content over bad content, even if I can skip the bad.

survivor

Banned
Just watched the new episode and it's alright. I think I will try to stick with the anime longer this time since I want to see the current manga arc animated, but I don't know if I'm able to survive through its terrible pacing.

I wish the One Piece Collections would release faster (or the One Piece Season 2 Fifth Voyage got a reprint). I finished up to the meeting with Ms DoubleFinger, Merry Christmas and co heading to meet Crocodile. Waiting for March 2012 for the next part...

Top Bottom