• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One week after a heavily photographed brutal assault in Charlottesville, ZERO arrests

Caelus

Add me to the list of people who wasn't aware that a lynching didn't explicitly refer to a hanging.

The etymology of the term 'lynching' has to do with extrajudicial punishment by an informal group with an intent to either intimidate a group or punish a supposed criminal.

A lot of the historical lynchings of black people in the U.S. ended in death, but I'd argue it doesn't need to be an execution to still be called a lynching, nor does it need to be done by rope even though it was the most common method (since a lot of past lynchings were public spectacles).

The term lynching is used correctly in the OP, you can qualify it by saying "attempted" or not but the impact is the same - the brutalization of a black man, and intimidation.

sqwarlock

This legit makes me feel sick. What is happening to this country?

Spoiler warning: it's always been like this.

Most white people have sat around thinking that America is something other than what this tragic event represents. What they're seeing now is what minorities have seen their entire lives.

"I can't believe this would happen in America."
"How did it come to this? What happened in our country?"
"It's astonishing that this much hatred exists here."

Open your eyes, go read some books, and learn about what America really is.

watershed

Banned
Didn't this happen right next to a police station too? White people committing violence against black people is a national past time. Not surprised by the lack of arrests.

Monocle

This is beyond disgusting. It feels like law enforcement's negligence and abuse of minorites are coming to a head. I can only hope this leads to reform rather than heightened violence or outright slaughter.

I know I'm going against the grain here and you guys have to realize I am 100% on your side here regarding the fight against white supremecy, but using the word 'lynching' is being a bit hyperbolic is it not? The definition is:

To kill (someone), especially by hanging, for an alleged offense with or without a legal trial.

I mean, this was a terrible crime, but the guy wasn't killed. I just don't think we should should soften a word that describes such a horrible travesty.
Yeah tbh I entered this thread expecting to read about a hanging.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
if you ever want to prove why we need the BLM movement, this is all the evidence they need to change their mind.

If we give them the benefit of the doubt(which yeah they probably don't deserve)
there were thousands of people from all over the county and even some from Canada there.
I could definitely believe it is taking a while even if they were pushing it hard.

Those comments... they better investigate that dude though Jesus.

sqwarlock

if you ever want to prove why we need the BLM movement, this is all the evidence they need to change their mind.

There's been plenty of evidence before this point, and there'll be plenty of evidence after. People don't care. It's a tough fight, but it's one that needs to keep happening because the worst thing anyone can do right is give up.

mr stroke

How the authorities have done zero is beyond me. WTF? I hope that asshole gets death treats & harassment for the rest of his life.

Curious if anyone knows: How did that guy even get that far down to that parking garage by him self? I assume he would have had others with him? Did someone drag him there ? Did he run in by accident ?

DHPm5apV0AAbVdc.jpg

My blood is boiling. What a piece of shit.

Dyle

Holy shit, hard to believe even in this day and age, that charges haven't been filed when the dude has admitted to it on Facebook.

Nothing? Nothing at all? Even with lots of photos/vids and confirmed identities? And an address?

I don't even know what to say anymore.

Acerac

Banned
Holy shit, hard to believe even in this day and age, that charges haven't been filed when the dude has admitted to it on Facebook.
It certainly is telling, isn't it?

Thanks to those who dropped some knowledge on me. Even when the subject is as frustrating as this one I want to be informed.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
So question....is the area around charlottesville safe? Like West Virigina and Pennsylvania wise or is this just exclusive to Charlottesville?

I might go near there for a business trip and well....one of my co workers who went to that area few months back said there were only caucasian people...and well I'm not one..so...kinda worried :X

Edit: Seems like from a interview video, he went to protest with some people and thats how he ended up in this beating :X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVDVS985E2g

That is really terrifying.
The nazi who ram over someone came from Ohio and the other ly identified attacker in this case came from Georgia. Charlottesville is an extremely liberal town. This rally was comprised of people from all over Tha nation, with one guy in the Vice doc actually coming down from Canada.

I can't fucking believe this asshole can gloat on Facebook about taking part in this and still not be arrested.

The person getting lynched in the parking garage was a teacher who saw the white supremacists and told them to 'Go away and that they weren't wanted' taking a page out of the VA Governors speech. The White supremacists got offended by it and started attacking him.

Slayven

The nazi who ram over someone came from Ohio and the other ly identified attacker in this case came from Georgia. Charlottesville is an extremely liberal town. This rally was comprised of people from all over Tha nation, with one guy in the Vice doc actually coming down from Canada.

I can't fucking believe this asshole can gloat on Facebook about taking part in this and still not be arrested.

Yet the right wing talks about bused in protestors and people outside the community doing damage

DHPm5apV0AAbVdc.jpg

Grade A tone policing. More policing then what is happening on the case apparently. Only reason dude is alive is because the photographer helped him

Worst part about this is that he's saying people were hitting him up, presumably, to offer their congrats and praise.

rjinaz

I thought for sure that one of the scumbags in the picture in the OP was arrested bc it's been on my local news. Guy lived in Mason, OH.

I mean one arrested if true is still pathetic but I thought it happened. I know the scumbag has been all over the news here.

Edit: nvm. Not arrested but "person of interest"
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...on-interest-charlottesville-attack/568615001/

Jesus. Pulled a knife on a boy and threatened to stab him at 13. Drugs in his locker. Then told people not to attend school because of a possible shooting.

Red flags everywhere. These people should be locked down in their youth before they can actually kill people or try to, later on.

The police are white supremacists.

EVERYwhere.
As a brother of two cops, fuck you man. You do realize it isn't the everyday patrolman to go out and write up a warrant and go arrest someone, right? They have to have permission from judges and chiefs and shit, all who play the political game.

Both of my brothers hate the political part of the police field, and neither try to climb ranks because they refuse to be involved in all of the bullshit politics that come with it. They want to protect and serve everyone, and I've witnessed them do just that, no matter what the color of the people. And both just want to get their 20 years in and retire to be a security guard at Alabama Power, where they make more money and it's about 110% safer.

This bullshit mentality is why I have to worry about my brothers being randomly shot and killed everyday, because everyone wants to run around and label every police officer as a white supremacist and horrible person because the goddamn media only covers the bad things select few officers do.

The government and police have a problem with black people, so totally unsurprising. No justice will be had, and do moderates even care?

Flo_Evans

This is beyond disgusting. It feels like law enforcement's negligence and abuse of minorites are coming to a head. I can only hope this leads to reform rather than heightened violence or outright slaughter.

Yeah tbh I entered this thread expecting to read about a hanging.

I mean if we are going full Websters "especially" means usually.

Anyway they really need to catch these fucks. I really hope this is a case of extreme backlog of fucks to arrest and they are getting to it but you know.

rjinaz

This bullshit mentality is why I have to worry about my brothers being randomly shot and killed everyday, because everyone wants to run around and label every police officer as a white supremacist and horrible person because the goddamn media only covers the bad things select few officers do.

Black Americans have to worry about about them or their family being killed by cops every day. And people targeting cops for being White Supremacists isn't something that happens or at least it's extremely rare. Can;t say the same for Black Americans killed by cops for loose cigs or for turning their backs on a cop, or not respecting them the right way.

Maybe you're brothers are good people, but there is a problem with the police institution in America right now and it's more than just a few bad apples, the whole bag has gone rotten with a few apples in there yet to spoil.

Velcro Fly

So you have a local jurisdiction looking for people who are likely no longer in the area? I wonder how much info they have to go on. The guy on facebook admitting to it should be enough to bring him in for questioning right?

Strange. I wonder why he is getting away with this. Other ones being identified are getting fired from jobs, even the one that organized the event has an arrest warrant out. The one showing off his guns, saying he was going to kill people at the rally and saying stuff about Donald Trump's daughter/son in law, and the one crying on youtube(best part)!

Do you have a link to that?

Not

Banned
As a brother of two cops, fuck you man. You do realize it isn't the everyday patrolman to go out and write up a warrant and go arrest someone, right? They have to have permission from judges and chiefs and shit, all who play the political game.

Both of my brothers hate the political part of the police field, and neither try to climb ranks because they refuse to be involved in all of the bullshit politics that come with it. They want to protect and serve everyone, and I've witnessed them do just that, no matter what the color of the people. And both just want to get their 20 years in and retire to be a security guard at Alabama Power, where they make more money and it's about 110% safer.

My fucking mom is a white supremacist. So is my brother. So is most of my family. It's like alcoholism that no one wants to acknowledge or deal with.

The police enable it. This is a white supremacist country. This is a clear example of that. Whether you want to believe it or not. Whether you care far, far, far more about your brothers' lives (the ones with the kevlar and guns and authority) than the black people getting killed for blinking or not.

I won't say fuck you back. Just have some goddamn empathy for people who don't look like you or are related to you.

There are two FBI reports in the last decade about White supremacist infiltration of America's police force. Not that we couldn't see it with our own two eyes. Cops have an institutional problem with racists, period. This isn't a left wing media conspiracy.

Skilletor

Sorry you have to worry about your brothers being shot in the JOB they chose. Me and mines can't do anything about our skin. Fuck the police.

How often do your brothers speak out publicly against the bad seeds and institutional racism that infects the police force? Or do they just sit idly by waiting to get their "20 years in"? Sure it's "not all cops", but I sure as shit wish those "not all cops" spoke up a little more.

toneroni

How often do your brothers speak out publicly against the bad seeds and institutional racism that infects the police force? Or do they just sit idly by waiting to get their "20 years in"? Sure it's "not all cops", but I sure as shit wish those "not all cops" spoke up a little more.
Effing blue wall of silence.
It's ridiculous that the minority cops I know drink the kool aid too...

Maybe they should work their way up the ranks if they're aware that the people currently in charge enable injustices within the force? How are they different from other cops if they're aware of the bullshit going on within the department and turn a blind eye to it as they get their 20 years in?

fauxtrot

Banned

Sorry homie, but fuck the police. Your brothers might be "good people", but they are profiting off of the oppression of others.

You make it sound like they're both just keeping their heads down and trying to reach 20 for the benefits too, which is doubly fucked, since they'll only reach that mark if they abide by the blue wall of silence. Which is disgusting.

Lesath

Fair enough, I just opened the thread thinking someone died. Lynching is a word that has real history of sorrow and loss, and the gravity of that should be preserved in my opinion.

Okay, let me put that my homeopathic word list.

1. Nazi
2. Racist
3. Lynch

Anything else?

Acerac

Banned
Media? I have had enough shit experiences dealing with terrible officers without needing a damned person to portray them as any worse than they are. The fact that there are constant news stories about how terribly a significant portion of the force acts isn't needed to reinforce my personal dealings, but I think we can agree that they are common enough that they shouldn't be ignored.

Fuck the police. One day maybe there will be some checks and balances applied to their constant misuse of power and my opinion will change. Til that day, don't be upset if people think of you in a negative manner after you join a gang.

Top Bottom