• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest - March 11 (XB1/Steam; $19.99), new gameplay footage

Head.spawn

March is so far away. I'll be picking this up on Xbox first, probably Steam double dip later. Good games are hard to come by, so my fingers are crossed and it's looking like it will be great so far.

Shredderi

$20 is a bit steep but I'll buy it anyway. This should hold me over until GTAV comes out

They look to be on the same tier as Trine 2, Guacamelee, Dust: An Elysian Tail, and Giana Sisters. I don't believe any of those games being $20 at launch

You're right, but I considered those $15 (if I remember correctly) games cheap so this is just "normal" for me I guess.

KooopaKid

Banned
That gameplay video looks dull as can be.

Hype decreasing, especially for $20.

Why are these digital "indie" games getting so expensive?

:( Me too. That left me cold, and it's one of my 10 most anticipated games of 2015.
The price is good though if it's 10 hours long.

wouwie

Damn... People find $20 steep for this game? I would gladly pay full price for this, without any hesitation or regret. It looks absolutely amazing.

Which brings me to the question: what kind of pc would be needed to run this comfortably? I don't have an xbox one so i'm wondering if my laptop would run this (core i7, nvidea gforce 740M)?

UrbanRats

Nope, was thinking of this post.

Note though, this is obviously just how I personally feel. And deplorable was unintentionally harsh on my behalf, but I still think it's a relatively arrogant and laughable viewpoint that unfortunately sours how I look at their projects (however irrational that may be).

Seems like a legitimate opinion to me (unless you mean the technicalities are bollocks), i don't get what's so arrogant about it.
To each their own, though.

Shauni

Boy, those defense shields went up fast about the price, huh?

I really don't think anyone wa necessarily questioning the value of the game per say, but $15 has been a standard for this for a number of years. I wasn't aware that $20 was something that any indies had been launching at recently. It would be like a retail title getting bumped up for $60 to $65. Obviously, people are going to raise an eyebrow when a standard is bucked.

Absolutely absurd that people are looking at this and calling $20 too much.

It's pretty damn depressing to see this an actual complaint from some people.

I guess they just hate paying more $10 for all their games? Then again, I wonder how many of those people complaining this is overpriced will be rushing out to be games like Order 1886 for $60 or more and won't even bat an eye at the double standard...

Nzyme32

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm kind of upset it's coming out on Steam. Give the xb1 some good use! Can't wait regardless.

Really isn't something to be upset about. You might as well think of the two platforms as being the same. Both Windows and the Xbox are by MS, both bringing in revenue for the title, both driving more of the same games being created from their success. All this Windows 10 stuff makes this all the more relevant. It's all about the games, not platform exclusive numberwang

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Really isn't something to be upset about. You might as well think of the two platforms as being the same. Both owned by MS, both bringing in revenue for the title, both driving more of the same games being created from their success. All this Windows 10 stuff makes this all the more relevant. It's all about the games, not platform exclusive numberwang

Hmm?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Nope, was thinking of this post.

Note though, this is obviously just how I personally feel. And deplorable was unintentionally harsh on my behalf, but I still think it's a relatively arrogant and laughable viewpoint that unfortunately sours how I look at their projects (however irrational that may be).

Yeah I edited my post too late. I"m in that thread now and I can see the behaviour you're referring to.

Personally? I actually agree with thomas on No Man's Sky, I'm not really jiving with what little has been shown, but I can see where you're coming from.

-MD-

I guess they just hate paying more $10 for all their games? Then again, I wonder how many of those people complaining this is overpriced will be rushing out to be games like Order 1886 for $60 or more and won't even bat an eye at the double standard...

Can you just let people be? Not everyone likes to spend full price on games.

BPoole

Guacamelee, Super Meat Boy, Rogue Legacy, Mark of the Ninja, Trine 2, Giana Sisters, Strider, Dust, The Diswasher, Shadow Complex, and several other games were priced $15 or less. It just seems like an arbitrary $5 price hike.

Like I said previously, I will buy the game anyway, but I also expect more games of this tier to start bumping up their prices too "just 'cuz"

hawk2025

Hell, put it in a box and slap a $50 price tag and I would be first in line.

Yes, average "Indie games prices" (and I use Indie here very loosely) has increased over the years. But there's a very, very good reason for that.

Just... look at these games. Look how much deeper and how much more content is being included in them relative to what we were paying $9.99, then $14.99 for.

Instead of being locked at $9.99, these "smaller" games are running the gammut between $4.99 and $39.99, as well they should, IMO.

Zia

Boy, those defense shields went up fast about the price, huh?

I really don't think anyone wa necessarily questioning the value of the game per say, but $15 has been a standard for this for a number of years. I wasn't aware that $20 was something that any indies had been launching at recently. It would be like a retail title getting bumped up for $60 to $65. Obviously, people are going to raise an eyebrow when a standard is bucked.

This War of Mine is $20. Gone Home is $20. Transistor is $20. The Banner Saga is $20. The Talos Principle is $40. Kentucky Route Zero is $25. Amnesia: The Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs are $20. Frozen Synapse is $25. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is $20.

I mean, there are many good indies launching at $15 and even $10, but $15 hasn't been the "standard" since the golden age of Summer of Arcade. $20 seems to be a sweet spot for "premium" indies with either considerable replay value or amazing production values. Ori is super pretty and has been in development for a very long time so I think it's totally reasonable to slot it in alongside stuff like Transistor and The Banner Saga.

Anyway, hope the game is good. Absolutely beautiful but the combat looks a little dull. We shall see!

Hell, put it in a box and slap a $50 price tag and I would be first in line.

Yes, average "Indie games prices" (and I use Indie here very loosely) has increased over the years. But there's a very, very good reason for that.

Just... look at these games. Look how much deeper and how much more content is being included in them relative to what we were paying $9.99, then $14.99 for.

Instead of being locked at $9.99, these "smaller" games are running the gammut between $4.99 and $39.99, as well they should, IMO.

Agreed.

hawk2025

I fully expect people to freak the fuck out once No Man's Sky and The Witness both are announced as full $60 games. :p

Anyways, back to Ori -- I can't say enough good things about the jumping animations. It just feels smooth and fun to use!
This game oddly reminds me a lot of Outland. Other than the obvious design similarities, of course, but it seems to have this same vibe of exploring mechanics in a 2D world and developing them in interesting ways, all with very very tight gameplay. Hhhmmmmm. My only gripe so far is the uneventful combat. In fact, I actually don't quite think I understand it.

I'm still holding out hope for a XB1/PC crossbuy announcement tomorrow. It's telling that they specified Steam but didn't mention the Windows store.

Can you just let people be? Not everyone likes to spend full price on games.

I have no problem with people spending their money how they want, but then why go out of their way to make posts claiming it's gross to ask for $20?

Guacamelee, Super Meat Boy, Rogue Legacy, Mark of the Ninja, Trine 2, Giana Sisters, Strider, Dust, The Diswasher, Shadow Complex, and several other games were priced $15 or less. It just seems like an arbitrary $5 price hike.

Like I said previously, I will buy the game anyway, but I also expect more games of this tier to start bumping up their prices too "just 'cuz"

I don't know if you can claim the price increase is arbitrary. They feel it's worth $20 and I'm not seeing or hearing anything to suggest they are wrong to ask that amount.

Four person team that are littered around the world, spent a lot of money getting an orchestra to do the soundtrack and the game clearly has extremely high production values.

And really, just look at the most of the recent indie releases, they've all mostly released around $20. Was there any complaining when Transistor was announced as being $20? Were people going into the thread and calling the price gross?

Unison

This War of Mine is $20. Gone Home is $20. Transistor is $20. The Banner Saga is $20. The Talos Principle is $40. Kentucky Route Zero is $25. Amnesia: The Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs are $20. Frozen Synapse is $25. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is $20.

I have bought most of these, but heavily discounted on PC.

Gone Home was $5
Kentucky Route Zero was $12.50
Transistor was $6
Banner Saga was $4
The Amnesia games were $5
Frozen Synapse was in some bundle I bought
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was $12

I suppose I don't mind the $20 retail price as long as a sale comes along eventually... I'm out until then.

It's less a question of the value of this game in particular than the fact that it exists in a market flooded with worthwhile games that can be had at a fraction of the cost.

That being said, that gameplay trailer hardly makes this look better than dozens of similar indie platformers. The graphical style is not a big draw to me.

Shauni

I mean, there are many good indies launching at $15 and even $10, but $15 hasn't been the "standard" since the golden age of Summer of Arcade. $20 seems to be a sweet spot for "premium" indies with either considerable replay value or amazing production values. Ori is super pretty and has been in development for a very long time so I think it's totally reasonable to slot it in alongside stuff like Transistor and The Banner Saga.

Anyway, hope the game is good. Absolutely beautiful but the combat looks a little dull. We shall see!

So, I don't even recognize the majority of that list lol. My main exposure through indie download games has been consoles, and $15 has been the standard there for as long as I can remember. So, it surprised me and obviously others who are maybe in the same boat. I'm still looking forward to the game, though.

Unison

I have no problem with people spending their money how they want, but then why go out of their way to make posts claiming it's gross to ask for $20?

A trend toward more expensive games in general is pretty gross... This doesn't need to be the poster child or anything, but it does mean that I'll be buying fewer indie games like this day one.

I don't know if you can claim the price increase is arbitrary. They feel it's worth $20 and I'm not seeing or hearing anything to suggest they are wrong to ask that amount.

I am a potential customer and won't pay $20 for it. I would certainly pay $10 and would be on the fence at $15.

I'm not sure what more evidence would be relevant to me than that.

Gestault

A trend toward more expensive games in general is pretty gross... This doesn't need to be the poster child or anything, but it does mean that I'll be buying fewer indie games like this day one.

People want the scope and quality of games to increase. The production quality of games doing that, indie or otherwise, means that it's harder to do it on the cheap unless it's at the expense of creators. The last decade has had plenty of titles at or above this price point for similar experiences. There's no problem with a game being outside of someone's budget for price or free-time. Beying annoyed at that, when it's something you want, is natural. But saying in a broader sense that a game is overpriced, without taking into account effort and its resulting quality is where it's off-base.

Unison

People want the scope and quality of games to increase. The production quality of games doing that, indie or otherwise, means that it's harder to do it on the cheap unless it's at the expense of creators. The last decade has had plenty of titles at or above this price point for similar experiences. There's no problem with a game being outside of someone's budget for price or free-time. Beying annoyed at that, when it's something you want, is natural. But saying in a broader sense that a game is overpriced, without taking into account effort and its resulting quality is where it's off-base.

Well, there's also the potential for a game that offers more value through production values to sell more copies, so the road to profit isn't necessarily paved with a higher price.

That being said, I'm not sure that better production values are something that I personally want out of a indie game like this. I'm more concerned about the gameplay in a platformer, and it's worrisome that it looks so dull in the gameplay video posted in the OP.

I don't need indie games to look or sound as good as retail games. I'm not sure why people would expect or desire that. On a personal level, the orchestrated soundtrack, for example, is rather useless to me. I play most games with the music off and listen to my own music while playing. If this adds $5 to the game's retail price, I can't help but think that represents a poor value.

Finally, if you haven't noticed that these indie/digital download games have been getting progressively more expensive over time, even when compared to games of similar length, you're not paying attention.

Shredderi

I am a potential customer and won't pay $20 for it. I would certainly pay $10 and would be on the fence at $15.

I'm not sure what more evidence would be relevant to me than that.

I'm pretty sure that the game's budget is one of the factors that decide the price tag. The game has a live orchestra recorded in the score for example.

Well, there's also the potential for a game that offers more value through production values to sell more copies, so the road to profit isn't necessarily paved with a higher price.

That being said, I'm not sure that better production values are something that I personally want out of a indie game like this. I'm more concerned about the gameplay in a platformer, and it's worrisome that it looks so dull in the gameplay video posted in the OP.

I don't need indie games to look or sound as good as retail games. I'm not sure why people would expect or desire that. On a personal level, the orchestrated soundtrack, for example, is rather useless to me. I play most games with the music off and listen to my own music while playing. If this adds $5 to the game's retail price, I can't help but think that represents a poor value.

A lot of that is your own subjective opinion, like the game looking dull or orchestrated ost having no value because you turn the music off. Of course I then understand that it may not be worth the asking price for you. That's ok. I'm not trying to make you change your mind. You don't want to buy it for their asking price and that's ok, but it's not enough evidence to state that the game is overpriced in general.

Unison

I just want to be clear... I'm not being judgmental here.

If most of this thread wants to buy this game at $20, subsidize its development costs, and enable me to buy it cheaper down the road, when it's priced reasonably on sale, who am I to complain?

hawk2025

I just want to be clear... I'm not being judgmental here.

If most of this thread wants to buy this game at $20, subsidize its development costs, and enable me to buy it cheaper down the road, when it's priced reasonably on sale, who am I to complain?

You're not being judgmental, but you're sure as fuck enjoying the view from that high horse! :p

What's gross about a 10+ hour game having a 20 dollar price tag?

I own a ps4 so I know what it's like when an indie game I want comes out and it "doesn't count" for "reasons" so this is basically an extension of that, it seems. ignore the 10+ hours and the interesting design and everything because none of that is important. If it doesn't cost $60 at launch, it's not worth it.

Nice, will use the money I got from Xbox Live Rewards!

Well it is a MS owned IP, so technically not indie :p but yeah, $20 is the new $15, which was the new $10...

Geometry Wars was FIVE DOLLARS

Hm, 15$ is usually my sweetspot for downloadable games. There's a lot more to play in Feb/Mar, so I'll pass for now but will keep an eye on it.

I also hope that they fixed the technical issues the game seems to have had. I really love how the game looks but I had the chance to play a demo on two occasions and it had a terrible framerate with lots of tearing. Can anybody confirm if that's been addressed?

Gestault

I'm sure there are some people who want lower quality music/presentation/scope because paying $5 less is important to them on principle, but you'll have to pardon the reaction when others don't agree. The pricing for games similar in scope to Ori are regularly at or above the $20 mark. If your point is that you primarily buy games at a discount (which does appear to be your point) no one can take that from you, but you're hardly the audience that matters in relation to launch pricing. You'll be able to find it at a discount, don't worry.

20 is a bit much. I agree that indie game pricing is getting out of hand.
Oh hey, it's become one of those threads now.

Plenty of indie games have been selling at such a price for a while now and have been very successful commercially and are often in Steam top sellers (This War of Mine, The Talos Principle, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, etc). It's up to players who play the game whether they felt it was a satisfactory price rather than something that be judged upon before release. Those people unsatisfied will make it very obvious in the most upvoted steam reviews if there's a consensus.

Top Bottom