• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan Black Season 4 |OT| Paul Free Since 2015 – Thursdays at 9/10c on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh that implant.

One would think she would be getting paid more than that considering how heavy the show leans on her with playing the lead and three and sometimes four other roles. I wonder how profitable the show is.

Fantastic episode. Mixing in flashbacks and video was the right amount of Beth, and it's a testament to Tatiana and the writers that I was already feeling bad for Mika. I'm also glad Art is getting more shine; I figured they were going to write him out at some point. The drama with Felix feels a bit forced? He seems way too spun up, and Sarah seemed oddly unsupportive. But props to the writers for trying to do something more with him than being the fun gay sidekick.

As often as Sarah gets jumped by baddies, she really needs to start carrying around a gun or knife. Or at least get some martial arts training.

One would think she would be getting paid more than that considering how heavy the show leans on her with playing the lead and three and sometimes four other roles. I wonder how profitable the show is.

I don't know how much typical TV actor salaries are, but this show isn't exactly Seinfeld and it's not on a big network like HBO, so half a million a year seems pretty damn good to me? I certainly wouldn't scoff at that. She might also get a separate salary for her role as a producer?

Dereck

ck55FDe.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was a good episode, if not a little overstuffed character wise. Thankfully it was also stuffed with a lot of great lines - my favorite was when Alison mentioned that Helena eats frozen bread. :]

Just read that Tatiana only makes $50,000 per episode.

That's insanely low, not just because of the enormous burden she carries in making this show work, but even by normal cable lead standards.

Yeah, wow, that really isn't very much at all. She should be getting paid as much as any other cable lead, but I guess they want/need to keep the costs down given how niche the show is.

It's only been two episodes, but you gotta feel for MK having lost Beth.

It's amazing that that final scene between Beth and MK was as poignant as it was seeing as how their relationship was only introduced just last week.

Beth is alive! Her last scene is presumably her just before she kills herself and she doesn't have earrings on! But when she kills herself at the station in the first ever episode, she does have earrings on!

I really wish the show would stop forgetting these things because it's making me believe in something that will never happen as it's likely an oversight.

UrbanRats

I was ready to drop this show after the last two seasons, but the last two episodes were surprisingly fun.
Keep this up, pls.

Dereck

I was on reddit yesterday and I saw some comments pointing out that not only could Alison possibly be resenting Helena because she cannot have children, but she could also be resenting the fact that Donnie is spending much more time with Helena. Whether he is playing "pretend" or not, he's done it a few times now and he and Helena are forming a bond. You can see it in Alison's face when she looks at the ultrasounds, or maybe not.

Mika is a unique clone so far because she's not necessarily a "good guy" yet, she's reclusive, enigmatic and her personality is intriguing. That's a great hook for this season. The promotional videos and trailers pushing her as a big deal before the season started didn't convince me. After seeing her on screen with Beth I just want to see more of her unique personality and how she interacts with the other more well known clones.

holygeesus

Banned
How can Mika not be a good guy yet, but the mass-murdering Helena can? That was the only issue I had really with earlier seasons, in that the rest of the gang seemed to get over her killing off multiple clones, a little too easily. The writers obviously realised she was a great character and made that progression from bad-good a little too quickly IMO.

Dereck

I don't know about Helena, but I said that because her being a good guy right now is assumed, to me, I haven't seen enough of her to identify what it is that she wants exactly.

Quick

Banned
Helena is a different case to MK.

Helena was raised in a restrictive Prolethean environment, which had basically brainwashed her. It's almost sad to say that she just didn't know any better, and is now just getting out into the world. It's kind of funny that she might be the least concerned about the clone stuff right now, compared to season 1.

MK is the opposite, where she actively searches for information. She isn't so much kept in the dark, rather, she uncovers as much as she can.

To that end, Orphan Black really thrives on its oddities. Helena murdered a bunch of Leda clones in season 1, now she's pregnant and hanging out with a group of them with no problem.

How can Mika not be a good guy yet, but the mass-murdering Helena can? That was the only issue I had really with earlier seasons, in that the rest of the gang seemed to get over her killing off multiple clones, a little too easily.
Plus the fact that they nailed down the timeline in this episode of being 6 months since the show started, with a gap of a few months between last season and this one. So it took them maybe a month and a half or so to go from being hunted by Helena to Alison and Cosima meet Helena for the first time and have a dance party.

Also makes Art a shitty cop for letting her get away with the cold blooded murders it was his job to investigate at the start of the series in the first place. And the complete lack of any show of remorse from her over those murders that could have been potential relationships that she had wanted all her life.

Lotta potential drama dropped quickly for fan service once they realized they had a small but very rabid online audience after season 1.

The promotional videos and trailers pushing her as a big deal before the season started didn't convince me. After seeing her on screen with Beth I just want to see more of her unique personality and how she interacts with the other more well known clones.
I was on board from the start cause even though the promotional stuff didn't do much for the character, her origin has been covered in comic books. So I knew the personality and quirks Tatiana would get to work with which is one of the things I looked forward to this year. And it's pretty much exactly like I imagined.

The other thing I went into the season looking forward to is Rachel's story which kinda looked like a 'be careful what you wish for' situation at the end of the year. Last year I thought they did a great job of making her sympathetic, yet she never changed or learned from the experience. She's still a total shitbag with no redeeming qualities yet.

It feels like it should've been at least a year or two and I was thinking they're gonna have to have a time jump to explain her kid's getting older but apparently when they cast Kira they cast younger than the character's age and it's pretty much lined up now (or maybe last season) so well played for to them on that.

Dereck

Plus the fact that they nailed down the timeline in this episode of being 6 months since the show started, with a gap of a few months between last season and this one. So it took them maybe a month and a half or so to go from being hunted by Helena to Alison and Cosima meet Helena for the first time and have a dance party.

Also makes Art a shitty cop for letting her get away with the cold blooded murders it was his job to investigate at the start of the series in the first place. And the complete lack of any show of remorse from her over those murders that could have been potential relationships that she had wanted all her life.

Lotta potential drama dropped quickly for fan service once they realized they had a small but very rabid online audience after season 1.

I was on board from the start cause even though the promotional stuff didn't do much for the character, her origin has been covered in comic books. So I knew the personality and quirks Tatiana would get to work with which is one of the things I looked forward to this year. And it's pretty much exactly like I imagined.

The other thing I went into the season looking forward to is Rachel's story which kinda looked like a 'be careful what you wish for' situation at the end of the year. Last year I thought they did a great job of making her sympathetic, yet she never changed or learned from the experience. She's still a total shitbag with no redeeming qualities yet.
Should I read the comics?

Should I read the comics?
It's hard to say. I'd suggest holding off for now. There still missing the final comic in her series, and it'll be out in a bundle sometime after the season. Maybe it'll be cheaper then. Plus although I've got some ideas, I'm not sure yet what will be a spoiler to the show and what will just be some extra background info, or flat out embellishment that the show will eventually contradict. So far they haven't treated anything I already know about her as a revelation, but that could change later on cause there's a lot of connections that they could choose to use. The name of the second comic series itself I think would be the biggest potential spoiler, so that's why I'm dancing around all of this.

Don't bother with the first set of comics about the existing clones cause I hear they're pretty lousy, and the one I saw of Helena's had half of it as just traced over screenshots from the show. And the added parts already proved to be inaccurate in how the show did the Maggie Chen shooting.

Social

It only took up until the end of episode 2 to get me 100% in again. The horror moment when we all realize
she actually has something in her jaw! aaaaaaaah

For some reason I feel like this is going towards them revealing that Beth isn't dead at all and someone else died in her place. Don't know how they could explain that but the wig scene was weird(but probably just an undercover thing).

You know, it's easy to forget when watching the show that this is the same actor in this scene, having to coordinate dialogue and movements between parts, but Tatiana and the crew manage it so well that it always seems natural. There's no uncanny valley feeling like most shows that do doubles. I'd love to see a behind-the-scenes special on their process.

I was on reddit yesterday and I saw some comments pointing out that not only could Alison possibly be resenting Helena because she cannot have children, but she could also be resenting the fact that Donnie is spending much more time with Helena.

Yeah, I'm sure that's part of it. I was wondering though what happened to Helena's boyfriend. And I can't remember...weren't those embryos fertilized by the Prolethean leader? I wonder how the bf is handling that.

Helena was raised in a restrictive Prolethean environment, which had basically brainwashed her. It's almost sad to say that she just didn't know any better, and is now just getting out into the world.

Huh...I thought she was raised in Russia by nuns or something. I think I've forgotten more of the plot gymnastics in this show than I remember. I'd already forgot Helena was a clone killer until y'all brought it up, perhaps because she's been the show's comic relief for so long now.

Huh...I thought she was raised in Russia by nuns or something. I think I've forgotten more of the plot gymnastics in this show than I remember. I'd already forgot Helena was a clone killer until y'all brought it up, perhaps because she's been the show's comic relief for so long now.
You're both right. Originally raised by Ukranian nuns until the Prolethians "saved her from abandonment" and then the brainwashing began. I only know this because I rewatched the diner scene recently.

Yeah, I'm about to re watch everything again. The plot isn't nearly as complicated when you refresh yourself and watch again.

Heck... even Castor is making sense... although I do still have some questions as to how they relate to Topside now and in the past...

I'm starting to think there could even be more clone projects of varying purposes...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
-Is that a penis?
-In art is called a phallus, darling.

That was just the second episode of Season 4 and I'm already almost ready to say this may be the best season since the original. Reducing the scale of Orphan Black's universe was a fantastic decision, so it was reintroducing the creepy Neos and looking back at Beth, no longer the club's most uninteresting clone. Amazing acting as always, great character development and even better editing keep selling all her scenes.

And since nobody asked for it, here comes that GROSS implant extraction.

M8hGZhT.gif

Shiitake mushrooms!

Dereck

Yeah, there's something about this season (so far) that has recaptured the magic of season one. Hopefully it stays this way.

Only watched the first episode so far. It was good, although my wife and I are a little lost as to where the Neolutionists fit into the whole equation. Bear with me here. A few spoilers below, but mainly for Season 3 (or rather, my recollection of Season 3):

• Dyad is the company who produced Sarah and the female clones.
  • Leekie is
    (was)
    one of the top execs for Dyad and is also a Neolutionist founder - but are Dyad and the Neolutionists linked, or was it implied that the Neolutionists are in fact controlling everything? Because the dude with glasses from Season 3 (I think) who was hunting Sarah changed his tune at the very end when he found out that the Neolutionists were involved, because he hated them. But he was high-ranking in Dyad wasn't he (he was Rachel's monitor), so he should have known if Dyad and the Neos were linked...?
  • Rachel was duped and taken into captivity somewhere at the end of Season 3 - presumably by the Neolutionists?
  • Are we assuming the Proletheans are no longer involved - as in, that was just a framework for Mark's story?
  • And Mark is the last remaining Castor clone, isn't he?

Only watched the first episode so far. It was good, although my wife and I are a little lost as to where the Neolutionists fit into the whole equation. Bear with me here. A few spoilers below, but mainly for Season 3 (or rather, my recollection of Season 3):

• Dyad is the company who produced Sarah and the female clones.
  • Leekie is
    (was)
    one of the top execs for Dyad and is also a Neolutionist founder - but are Dyad and the Neolutionists linked, or was it implied that the Neolutionists are in fact controlling everything? Because the dude with glasses from Season 3 (I think) who was hunting Sarah changed his tune at the very end when he found out that the Neolutionists were involved, because he hated them. But he was high-ranking in Dyad wasn't he (he was Rachel's monitor), so he should have known if Dyad and the Neos were linked...?
  • Rachel was duped and taken into captivity somewhere at the end of Season 3 - presumably by the Neolutionists?
  • Are we assuming the Proletheans are no longer involved - as in, that was just a framework for Mark's story?
  • And Mark is the last remaining Castor clone, isn't he?

Dyad is a company (front) that focused on gene therapy and many working there are former members working on Project Leda.
Neolution is a philosophy, not a business. This is critical. It is a way of thinking and anyone can be a Neolutionist. It involves transhumanism but with very little moral code.
Ferdinand works for Topside, they are the ones truly responsible for Project Leda AND Project Castor.
Rachel is held by the Neolutionists.
Proletheans are no longer a big deal as they were a small group who splintered from the original trials.
Maybe...

Dereck

FOb0jek.png

Third episode tonight
S04E03:
The Stigmata of Progress - Sarah reels from a shocking discovery, and becomes desperate to find answers; after following a lead, Sarah finds herself in a harrowing encounter.

Quick

Banned
Orphan Black Season 4 EXTENDED Closer Look: MK & The Sheep Mask

Includes some footage of shooting that last Beth/MK scene, which was her first time ever playing MK. And some footage of her double playing MK in the scene while she was Beth.

I was really impressed with those shots highlighted in this clip involving the technical work. It's nothing new to the show to have multiple clones directly interact, but those MK/Beth scenes just look so much cleaner and the dynamic camera movements just makes it a lot better.

Did they just change methods in shooting scenes involving multiple clones? From what I've seen in the past, Tatiana always has a stunt double to work with.

I've been enjoying the season so far - the tighter focus and the flashbacks have worked well.

- Sneak peek scene from tonight's episode

LOL Donnie. It'll be really interesting to see how this Helena/Alison/Donnie dynamic plays out.

Did they just change methods in shooting scenes involving multiple clones? From what I've seen in the past, Tatiana always has a stunt double to work with.
The method hasn't changed, they're just get more complex with the movement. There's a lot of tennis ball and isolated passes in the season 2 fx reel as well. They always do passes without her double in them. They only use parts of the take with the double when the clones need to touch each other.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"She's a scientist and a lesbian, she's not going to let it slide!"

That was a good one, but it reintroduced a couple of elements that I'm completely blanking on, like Helsinki and the little girl Rachel is cooped up with.

Also, Alison, Helena, and Donnie's antics continue to to put me in stitches.

That was a good one, but it reintroduced a couple of elements that I'm completely blanking on, like Helsinki and the little girl Rachel is cooped up with.
Helsinki was an event where they exterminated 6 clones that had contact with each other along with 23 collateral damage in 2001.

The girl Rachel is with was Marion's daughter at the end of Season 2 and is for some unknown reason (other than actor availability) no longer Marion's daughter.

"You killed Aldous Leekie?"
"Boy did I ever, yeah"

Quick

Banned
The girl Rachel is with was Marion's daughter at the end of Season 2 and is for some unknown reason (other than actor availability) no longer Marion's daughter.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I know who you're referring to, but could she be another clone, or is she specifically Marion's daughter and they retconned that part?

TripOpt55

Another good episode. Really enjoying this season thus far. Alison, Donnie and Helena together are gold. And the Skype call with Cosima was superb.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I know who you're referring to, but could she be another clone, or is she specifically Marion's daughter and they retconned that part?
You don't really need to see the episode yet, she was in last year's finale too. It's specifically Marion's daughter Charlotte. Not a retcon, they just took her away from Marion or something and haven't explained it yet. There is one vague reference to it in this episode though.

Quick

Banned
You don't really need to see the episode yet, she was in last year's finale too. It's specifically Marion's daughter Charlotte. Not a retcon, they just took her away from Marion or something and haven't explained it yet. There is one vague reference to it in this episode though.

Yep, I remember that too. Initially, I thought she was just another clone then. but now knowing she's specifically Charlotte makes it interesting.

I'll watch it later today. I'm not too worried about spoilers, clearly. lol

Marion was the doctor with the Castor clones who Big Dick Paul took out?
You know, I was kinda hoping the nail salon clone would be back this season.

They are on point this season. One detail I noticed that really drives home how good Tatiana is: when the Topside dude showed up, she spoke to him with one side of her face numb since the woman gave her a shot. It was a tiny beat that many shows wouldn't bother with, but really sells the moment.

Art is playing with fire by confronting the Neolution police guy, but I guess Art doesn't know he's Neolution?

I'm happy for Felix, but damn he sure found his biological family fast!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Helsinki was an event where they exterminated 6 clones that had contact with each other along with 23 collateral damage in 2001.

That sounds vaguely familiar. Why were they exterminated?

Wait, who is Marion again?

Great episode! I love the Hendrix dynamic and Helena being tossed into the mix is even better.

Wait, who is Marion again?
The adoptive mother of the one successful recreation clone (the little girl). She appeared at the finale of season 2, and showed Sarah Rudy who she had captive in her home.

Great episode! I love the Hendrix dynamic and Helena being tossed into the mix is even better.

The adoptive mother of the one successful recreation clone (the little girl). She appeared at the finale of season 2, and showed Sarah Rudy who she had captive in her home.

Finally, someone got it right.
Marion was a Topside executive who was taking care of Charlotte. She was raising her like a daughter. Neolution took Charlotte and Marion hasn't been seen since. Charlotte is most definitely a clone.

IvanJ

Banned
Loved this episode just like I loved every episode so far. Definitely my favorite ongoing series.

And yes, Donnie and Alison would be better off just buying the jackhammer :)

That sounds vaguely familiar. Why were they exterminated?
Wasn't mentioned on the show yet. The reason it first came up was because Ferdinand and Rachel were conspiring to do the same to the show's clones at the beginning of last season. There is a comic series about Helsinki but I don't know what details are canon yet. I will say in general that they were going to expose the project to the public.

I think they name dropped Helsinki again cause they might go into details soon. They've been pretty good this season at only mentioning things that are relevant to the current story.

Also, Marion:

tumblr_n6lu0h8elw1tuvbyro1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom