• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan Black Season 4 |OT| Paul Free Since 2015 – Thursdays at 9/10c on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not on the "Beth is alive" train just yet. I don't know if I want that to be how Season 4 plays out, but I guess we'll wait and see.

If Beth hadn't died when Sarah saw her, she probably would've OD'd by now anyway, or Neolution would've killed her. She was on the last train to Clarksville no matter what. She and Sarah definitely share a fearlessness though.

Quick

Banned
If Beth hadn't died when Sarah saw her, she probably would've OD'd by now anyway, or Neolution would've killed her. She was on the last train to Clarksville no matter what. She and Sarah definitely share a fearlessness though.

What if Beth came back with corkscrew breasts though.

I don't know how seriously I entertained the idea of Beth being alive, but she's probably dead. lol

Dereck

I don't doubt that Orphan Black would do something like that, but it would be an unfortunate change of events just because it would be really predictable. This episode appeals to the people who wanted to know more about Beth. If she showed up in season 4 that would make the entire show collapse story-wise.

Because that would just create many more questions which is the last thing the show needs at the moment.

TripOpt55

Really liked this premiere. Had no idea it would be a flashback episode. It felt really focused though and did a good job of giving a little extra backstory on Beth (or at least filling in some small blanks I guess) and introducing the new clone. Tatiana was of course excellent and I liked seeing her get some more time to play Beth.

spunodi

Is that a sexual or narcotics reference?

Good to see some backstory here and it's remarkably consistent with previous stuff.

Also, were those Smash Bros. sound effects when Beth went round to Art's and the tele was on?

UrbanRats

Tatiana is such a good actress, too bad the writing isn't able to keep up with her.
That said, I enjoyed this first episode well enough.

aceface

Ok so when Sarah was impersonating Beth in season 1 Art was never like "yo we had sex! How about that" at all? Only thing that bothered me about the episode.

Dereck

Ok so when Sarah was impersonating Beth in season 1 Art was never like "yo we had sex! How about that" at all? Only thing that bothered me about the episode.
Did they have sex?

5I5s8.png

Beth had a scar on the back of her ear which is how Paul knows Sarah never was actually Beth, but her dead body in season 1 was never shown to have said scar. She's alive!
It was either overlooked or the writers hadn't decided on the scar thing by that point when filmed.

Beth had a scar on the back of her ear which is how Paul knows Sarah never was actually Beth, but her dead body in season 1 was never shown to have said scar. She's alive!
It was either overlooked or the writers hadn't decided on the scar thing by that point when filmed.
Yeah, most likely the latter.

Sober

Good premiere. I liked that it was about Beth, kinda filled in some of the blanks about how everyone came together for the most part, and how shitty her life was before she killed herself.

Yeah, she tracked down clones for Helena to kill. She was following Beth when Beth accidentally shot her. Everyone currently alive assumed Beth had done it on purpose.
See I dunno if it's the show purposely just doing it or not but I can never really keep their mythology plots together, even watching live for the last 3 years. Last season was about boy/girl clones and using the boy clones to be STD bombs ending with Sarah finding the Leda original they used or something? I guess they were trying to still find a cure to their degeneration or something? I can't really remember the middle part except Paul blowing himself up or what the other big forces were supposed to be really doing other than milling around in the background waiting for their turn to go "ah-ha!"

I literally remember more about all the dumb hijinks the clones have gotten into but not when all the other stuff surrounding them just kinda plinks off them and is rather boring or forgettable. I have a prediction the Neolutionists chasing Sarah and her 'mother', that is just gonna fall flat again while something like Helena/Allison/Donnie are gonna be the best parts of the season.

holygeesus

Banned
Ain't gonna lie, as someone who binge-watched the series in it's entirety, for the first time, to get ready for the new season, that thread title pissed me off. Who thought that was a good idea?

Ain't gonna lie, as someone who binge-watched the series in it's entirety, for the first time, to get ready for the new season, that thread title pissed me off. Who thought that was a good idea?

LOL, for some reason people just HATED Big Dick Paul.

That said, hints of spoilers are kind of on the official website and showing up in some newer interviews with supporting cast members. Tread carefully if you don't want a whiff of a hint of a taste of what could be coming. Phew, that was a mouthful. Like Paul. >.<

holygeesus

Banned
LOL, for some reason people just HATED Big Dick Paul.

That said, hints of spoilers are kind of on the official website and showing up in some newer interviews with supporting cast members. Tread carefully if you don't want a whiff of a hint of a taste of what could be coming. Phew, that was a mouthful. Like Paul. >.<

I wasn't quite as mad when I realised he was in the first ep of S4. Love me some big-dick Paul.

Seriously though I was watching season 3 knowing he was toast at some point. Mildly annoyed.

This is on Netflix here in the UK - is BBC America no longer funding it, or do Netflix just have the rights to it over here?

Anyway, I'll start watching it later on this week once I get a chance to sit down with my wife one evening.

holygeesus

Banned
This is on Netflix here in the UK - is BBC America no longer funding it, or do Netflix just have the rights to it over here?

Anyway, I'll start watching it later on this week once I get a chance to sit down with my wife one evening.

It's still on BBC America which I guess is why we are just getting one episode a week here on Netflix rather than the whole season.

berzeli

Banned

BBC America is funding it. Just that BBC America now is a part of AMC Networks (well technically joint venture between BBC Worldwide and AMC Networks) as opposed a wholly owned subsidiary of BBC Worldwide. And remember that BBC worldwide is an autonomous corporation separate from the BBC.
The funding for Orphan Black itself comes from BBC America and Space (some Canadian network).

As far as I know, BBC (like the proper BBC) never funded the show, they just distributed it. So that Netflix picked it up isn't that shocking considering that the show previously aired on BBC 3.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I watched the premiere last night and I think I'm ready to call it the best episode since S1. Surely enough, there wasn't a lot of comedy, but I think this is one of the factors that worked well. While Tatiana's comedic timing is spectacular, I feel like the writers have been catering the fans at the expense of neglecting plot and character development, which is why I loved to see some old school detective work.

Sure, Beth is not the most engaging clone of the entire club, but having a little backstory to understand her desperation was a great idea, so it was bringing back intriguing characters such as Leeky and that tail-dude (I mean, has anyone else noticed how S1 was the only season that had supporting characters worth a damn?). As somebody with an interest in transhumanism, I always felt that the show was going the wrong direction by ignoring Neolution and focusing on the much less interesting military/corporate subplot.

I hope we get more flashbacks, just as much as I hope the show goes back to its previous nature. Orphan Black works so much better when comedy is used as relief and stories keep the plot (mostly) at street level.

Celebratory JIFs.

dsTnmEg.gif
jk6OVV4.gif
ocCQ3Cb.gif

And BDP's surprise appearance for the stans.

BKOZiGJ.gif

Dereck

KQYU7tG.jpg

Second episode tonight
S04E02:
Transgressive Border Crossing - Sarah returns home to track down a new ally, following breadcrumbs to uncover the next facet of Neolution's agenda.

TV Line - Orphan Black Preview: Cosima's Grief, Rachel's New Clan, More Clone Scoop

A lot of it has been covered in previous previews, but the Rachel part is pretty interesting.
RACHEL | “She’s rediscovered this fraught relationship with her mother,” Manson previews. Rachel’s new surroundings also include “a Castor clone, who has some level of preference with Susan Duncan. So our little clone elite family is quite a fraught triangle.” Speaking of parent-child dynamics, “we get to explore this weird desire of Rachel’s to be a mother, herself, with Charlotte.”

Just read that Tatiana only makes $50,000 per episode.

That's insanely low, not just because of the enormous burden she carries in making this show work, but even by normal cable lead standards.

EDIT: fanservisu!!~

The way they are presenting Beth's story is incredible.
Yeah, at first I thought it might just be a gimmick (a clever way to open the season, but nothing that would be of substance), but it's turned out to be this tragic, emotionally charged origin story with urgent implications in the present.

So good.

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah, at first I thought it might just be a gimmick (a clever way to open the season, but nothing that would be of substance), but it's turned out to be this tragic, emotionally charged origin story with urgent implications in the present.

So good.

I presume though we have seen all the flashbacks we will now though. I agree that part of the story was expertly done, in particular telling part of the story through hidden cameras etc. Other level stuff.

I presume though we have seen all the flashbacks we will now though. I agree that part of the story was expertly done, in particular telling part of the story through hidden cameras etc. Other level stuff.
I think at some point we'll get a flashback to what she was doing in that wig, once Art or Sarah figures it out. And maybe another one involving when she went dark for a few days after the shooting and met with the pregnant Neo girl.

Quick

Banned
I was looking through some old Orphan Black episodes, and the pilot is still pretty damn awesome from what I've skimmed.

That montage scene of Sarah changing to Beth...

obama-wiping-sweat-from-forehead.jpg

But for real, it's interesting to skim through a bit of the first half. It's funny that Sarah had this big WTF moment with Felix when they were checking out Beth's ID to see how they look identical to each other, then brushed it off to check out Beth's place. And she still wasn't rattled by it after looking through more of Beth's personal stuff.

Not to say she didn't question it, but I feel like people would be really invested in finding out they had an identical twin. But I think this speaks to how messed up Sarah was a little back then.

I was slightly confused... The cleaners checked Sarah's cheek and seemed to think she didn't have what they were looking for but she turns out to have one... So why did they leave her alone then??

I was slightly confused... The cleaners checked Sarah's cheek and seemed to think she didn't have what they were looking for but she turns out to have one... So why did they leave her alone then??

They were looking for someone who didn't have it. Or at least that is what I got out of the scene. Probably M.K.

It's kinda hard to hear him clearly, but he knew it was the wrong person because she was missing a scar. When they knew it was the wrong person then they switched to the inside of her cheek to identify her. I'm guessing Sarah is the only clone currently with one of those in her mouth.

Quick

Banned
OH MAN, SARAH HAS THAT WORM TOO? DAMN.

It's only been two episodes, but you gotta feel for MK having lost Beth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom