• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atuin

Nah. Just Blizz Balancing™.

"Oh no, character is a little weak! Overbuff!!!!"

"Oh no, said character is way too strong now! NERF TO HELL!!!"

If you think minor D.Va changes are "nerf to hell", I don't think you've seen Hearthstone balancing. They don't nerf any cards for months until it's absolutely necessary and then they totally nuke the cards. Starving Buzzard had it's mana costed increased from 2 to 5 (think +250% ability cooldown or -60% damage) and increased the (useless) combat stats. It became worse than it's all-class counterpart Dark Cultist that doesn't even require beasts. All-class cards are the rock bottom, the "Use this card if your class has literally 0 card draw, heal, etc.".

It's like if Reinhardt had multiple hammer options but one of them only worked if you gimped your other options ("play beasts instead of any cards you want " = "deals bonus damage if you haven't used shield in X seconds") but even without using your shield it deals less damage than Mercy's melee.

Destroying one option wouldn't be too bad in itself, you still had other viable hammer options, but the bullshit excuses were the worst. "We don't change the cards for months because we care about your collection", "We don't change the broken mechanic, we just increase the cost by 2.5 because we care about the soul of the card". "Changing cards would be too confusing for new players".

I'm actually amazed how great Overwatch team is at balancing their game with frequent, small changes that are tested in PTR. I think OW has by far the best balancing team of all Blizzard games. No blatantly overpowered heroes so people buy them with real money (Samuro had 67.5% win rate in a 5v5 game) before they're nerfed to reasonable level next month à la Heroes of the Storm, none of that terrible balancing of HS and most importantly, not masking terrible decisions behind condescending "we don't want to confuse new players" PR bullshit.

Holy crap guys... I just pulled off a crazy Quad-kill in Mystery heroes last night:

We were defending on Hanamura, and had been doing a pretty good job. I'm Hanzo defending the right spawn corner and I hear the Zarya on our team launch a Graviton. I'm no where near it, but I figure it can't hurt to fire one off, right?

(NSFW language)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVhVuLeqZk

Since you can't see shit, here it is from the Wife's perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G86juKxLobI

It was our last game for the night, and it felt pretty good to go out on that.

Skii

Yeah I've seen Codey on skyline's stream. His Widow is pretty insane. Tank meta just can't cope with losing Ana/Zen before the fight even starts.

Easily a perfect fit for the system. Gosh, what is Nintendo doing not courting Blizz? Who cares for Skyrim.

I imagine the conversation went like this:

• Nintendo: Hey Blizzard, we'd love to have that Overwatch on our new Switch console.
  • Blizzard: Okay... what's your online infrastructure like. Will it be ready at launch?
  • Nintendo: Well, no, but...
  • Blizzard: Then... no...

I imagine the conversation went like this:

• Nintendo: Hey Blizzard, we'd love to have that Overwatch on our new Switch console.
  • Blizzard: Okay... what's your online infrastructure like. Will it be ready at launch?
  • Nintendo: Well, no, but...
  • Blizzard: Then... no...
lmao

Seems likely tbh

Paid online tho... not sure there's even a point of Overwatch switch. Tiny install base + paid online = rough mp times

I was thinking about getting a headset for this game when I play it in the evenings to I can communicate with teammates. What are some quality options?

Cappa

Banned
lmao

Seems likely tbh

Paid online tho... not sure there's even a point of Overwatch switch. Tiny install base + paid online = rough mp times

PSN is paid online and Overwatch has a fairly large player base... unless youre just saying that there isnt much of an audience for the switch to begin with and making it pay to play just makes it worse. :)

I was thinking about getting a headset for this game when I play it in the evenings to I can communicate with teammates. What are some quality options?

Are you an audiophile? Then get a pair of Sennheisers, and then a mic http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4FT2VC3661 like this.

if not..... and you just want a cheap, solid gaming headset you can never go wrong with the hyper x cloud ii

PSN is paid online and Overwatch has a fairly large player base... unless youre just saying that there isnt much of an audience for the switch to begin with and making it pay to play just makes it worse. :)

I think it's a combination of things.

Because the game has already launched on 3 other platforms, and for almost a full year, people who were interested have likely already bought the game.

Because Nintendo is known for having poor online functionality, you're not likely to get a good penetration rate on the already small install base.

Because of the already naturally smaller community, queue times and lag will likely be a larger factor on the system by default, which will only discourage players and hurt word of mouth sales.

Basically, from a business stand point, it's a bad move.

I had two amazing games in QP last night on Dorado. First was Pharah on Attack and while the stats weren't amazing (11-1) we basically steamrolled from start to finish and completed the map in 3:20 which I think is my fastest payload completion time. I'll upload it to YouTube later but damn I felt unstoppable as Pharah that match.

Then on Defense I first picked Hanzo because I wanted to fuck around and get better at aiming, but someone on the enemy team went Pharah and started hunting me down as if to say "I can play Pharah too asshole" so I switched to 76 and went full "carry the team on my back" mode. 31 eliminations and a pretty awesome hold on Defense after they rolled through the first checkpoint easy.

Much better quality games the last few days than the last week - maybe the MMR is finally sorting itself out. Still a little wary of competitive mode though.

Holy crap guys... I just pulled off a crazy Quad-kill in Mystery heroes last night:

We were defending on Hanamura, and had been doing a pretty good job. I'm Hanzo defending the right spawn corner and I hear the Zarya on our team launch a Graviton. I'm no where near it, but I figure it can't hurt to fire one off, right?

(NSFW language)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVhVuLeqZk

Since you can't see shit, here it is from the Wife's perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G86juKxLobI

It was our last game for the night, and it felt pretty good to go out on that.

You. Are already dead.

I still need the quad kill trophy for Hanzo so watching that hurt. ;_;

Cappa

Banned
I think it's a combination of things.

Because the game has already launched on 3 other platforms, and for almost a full year, people who were interested have likely already bought the game.

Because Nintendo is known for having poor online functionality, you're not likely to get a good penetration rate on the already small install base.

Because of the already naturally smaller community, queue times and lag will likely be a larger factor on the system by default, which will only discourage players and hurt word of mouth sales.

Basically, from a business stand point, it's a bad move.

Agreed, but another reason really is why bring in Overwatch and have it compete against Splatoon, when you can just have Splatoon?

Agreed, but another reason really is why bring in Overwatch and have it compete against Splatoon, when you can just have Splatoon?

Ehh. this is a weak argument. We know that consoles can have several MP focused games without really hurting one another's communities.

Halo 3 and Modern Warfare proved that forever ago.

That Lucio...how do you move like that?

What's your budget?
I don't really have a budget, but I looked at those Sennheisers and spending $400 on headphones seems silly to me - probably less than $100?

Are you an audiophile? Then get a pair of Sennheisers, and then a mic http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4FT2VC3661 like this.

if not..... and you just want a cheap, solid gaming headset you can never go wrong with the hyper x cloud ii
I'm not really an audiophile, but I want my teammates to be able to hear me clearly, and for them to be able to hear me. I mean, right now I listen through the default speakers on a laptop, so clearly my listening standards are not high - lol!

the worst audiophiles are the ones that buy a cheap mic to make everyone else suffer
I have a Blue Yeti, but that seems overboard. :p

Blu(e)

That Lucio...how do you move like that?

I don't really have a budget, but I looked at those Sennheisers and spending $400 on headphones seems silly to me - probably less than $100?

I'm not really an audiophile, but I want my teammates to be able to hear me clearly, and for them to be able to hear me. I mean, right now I listen through the default speakers on a laptop, so clearly my listening standards are not high - lol!

I have a Blue Yeti, but that seems overboard. :p
This is what I have. You can also pair it with these or just your Blue Yeti.

dspstanky is like the last person in the world id call bad at lucio lol

People dislike him because they feel Lucio should play more passive, but I agree. A good Lucio is always on the move.

As for headsets / mics, get a nice pair of headphones (ATH-M40X with Brainwavz Sheepskin Pads), and then a V-Moda Boom Mic or an Antlion ModMic.

Blue Snowball / Yeti is a bit overkill but great if you want to stream / have groups of people streaming.

Join Comp match koth.

Team mate picks torb
Types in chat:

"Not even trying"
"fyi"
eqLi0Jyh.jpg

Y are people like this.

This is at like 3190SR

Oasis reminds me of an unreal tournament map for some reason. maybe its the jump pad

It's a very visually loud map. As in there is a lot of detail and textures and small objects all over the place, which doesn't actually make for a pretty picture.

The Garden and City Center portions especially. There is just a lot going on and a lot of stuff fighting for the attention of our focal point.

Which, I think makes the map feel more cramped, and less like an Overwatch map, are more like some other arena shooter.

Stanky uses some pretty unorthodox key bindings. He uses Space for Crossfade, Left Shift for Amp it Up, and I think E for jump. And lots of practice.

The key thing here, is his rapid crossfade usage. This makes his movement speed come off as erratic, and what makes him such a hard target to hit, because we want to lead our shots, or try to move the crosshairs where we expect him to move to, but he's not moving at the speeds we expect him to.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Stanky uses some pretty unorthodox key bindings. He uses Space for Crossfade, Left Shift for Amp it Up, and I think E for jump. And lots of practice. He knows all the routes.
I think on the video description he lists his keybinds.

Jump is on right click for him, which makes me wonder if he used to play Quake.

antitrop

The key thing here, is his rapid crossfade usage. This makes his movement speed come off as erratic, and what makes him such a hard target to hit, because we want to lead our shots, or try to move the crosshairs where we expect him to move to, but he's not moving at the speeds we expect him to.

I like his newest video, showing him from the perspective of other streamers. Shows how effective his jukes can be.

Vixdean

I really think Zenyatta or Mercy are the best for healing in CP if you actually want to win more games than you lose. With the current tank heavy meta, as Zen you can help burn down Rein or D.Va while also keeping your dps alive. Mercy can just fly around keeping everyone alive regardless of how dumb they are playing. In other words, they are the least dependent on your team being coordinated and not sucking. The key is not letting yourself get picked off doing something stupid.

Join Comp match koth.

Team mate picks torb
Types in chat:

"Not even trying"
"fyi"

Y are people like this.

This is at like 3190SR

Probably someone playing on tilt, it's a defense mechanism for some people. If they win while they're not trying, they feel better about themselves. If they lose, the loss isn't as significant to them because they weren't "trying", and could of easily won if they had turnt it up!

Filben

Match making at its best, yesterday. Our team: 2 gold, 4 platinum. Enemy team: 3 diamond, 3 platinum. We lost so hard, I personally think due to the matchmaking not because we fucked up badly.

And losing team quitters denying our team the victory and lootbox in arcade. Should count as a win after first round when the other team leaves.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I really think Zenyatta or Mercy are the best for healing in CP if you actually want to win more games than you lose. With the current tank heavy meta, as Zen you can help burn down Rein or D.Va while also keeping your dps alive. Mercy can just fly around keeping everyone alive regardless of how dumb they are playing. In other words, they are the least dependent on your team being coordinated and not sucking. The key is not letting yourself get picked off doing something stupid.
I do feel like Mercy may be better than Ana if you're not confident in the coordination of your team. Mercy can keep people up front healed even if there are multiple people in the way, whereas Ana would often get her shots bodyblocked, which leads to the tank dying.

Ana would ideally want to hang back more to try to prevent this, but then she'd get flanked/abandoned by everyone spreading out. Mercy can at least fly to people, pick someone to pocket, or even fly through friendly tanks to physically place tanks between her and whoever's shooting at her.

Not to mention that Mercy's regeneration is way more convenient than Ana needing to grenade herself for a heal.

Had a qp game last night on attack Dorado where I healed almost 7k damage as ana just on the first checkpoint and we still didn't get past it

Ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom