• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Apathy

Do people really think that widow is actually useful or will ever be meta? I go back to saying that character's whole design is flawed for a team based game based around control points. Like she seems so out of placed and only there as the token sniper

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
On a random note, but whenever I see PS4 footage of Overwatch the contrast seems like it was blown way up.

Apathy

I love the per hero settings, but now i want per map settings. The bright maps are really hard to see the pink crosshairs I like, and I have to keep going into the options and changing them

MartyStu

Do people really think that widow is actually useful or will ever be meta? I go back to saying that character's whole design is flawed for a team based game based around control points. Like she seems so out of placed and only there as the token sniper

Widow is a great tech hero.

If you have the skill, then widow will do work. The trick is realizing when you are not being being effective and switching.

jviggy43

Snipers in this game seem pretty out of place in general to me. Like yeah you can do work with one but the vast majority of players would be netter off picking another character for most gametypes and maps. Scatter arrow seems like an implementation to a character who otherwise would be pretty meh.

Apathy

why do you pick a tank on attack if you're too scared to move passed a choke. I'll get your heals, I'll give you a zarya bubble if you need one, but fucking move your ass through the damn choke quickly

I think WM is pretty situational in certain maps and she is pretty hard to use and aport little on low elos.

ohkay

Widows that hit their headshots and know the best sightlines are frightening. She will probably not be heavily present in the competitive ladder meta simply because of the technical skill required to use her at that kinda level, but the people that can make her work make her work

Veelk

Banned
Rose to 2239. It's slow, but I'm making my way up. Stopping at my first loss for the night. But I'm finishing about 140 higher than where I was. Yaaay...

(of course we lost the last one because of stupid shit team composition that refused to change or communicate no matter how bad we were getting rolled)

Laputa_94

Oh yes got a quintuple with D.vas ult. Feels amazing.

nicolas-cage-fells-good-con-air-head-space-1409843288n.gif

EDIT: Heres the link

MartyStu

That feel when your team only decides to show up on the last point because spawn advantage/full team wipe forces you to group up.

While I do believe she is supposed to be the token sniper, she certainly has her place. She, just like many other characters, is a niche pick. She can do extremely well, especially on certain maps/points, or against certain comps.

Not every character is supposed to be viable all the time. In fact, I would argue none of the characters are supposed to be viable all the time, it just so happens that some ARE viable in just about every situation because their utility or damage output or what have you is just so good.

The only character that seems out of place to me is Hanzo, because he not only fills a role that is already taken by a character that objectively can do better in most situations (Widow), but his scatter also is straight up RNG. In a game where everything seems to be designed to be consistent (inb4 someone says some skills are inconsistent but I'd argue that they're not so by design and rather because they don't work right), having a super inconsistent ability like scatter just makes me scratch my head.

valeo

I have seen Widows completely change the momentum of a game. A good widow is scary. Very situational, much like a Mei.

Veelk

Banned
For the fourth time, I lost a game where the point SHOULD have been an easy cap (Just stay on it for more than 0.5 seconds!), and we managed to get it up to 0.5 and not any further. That's how far the other team got when they were attacking with 1 minute in over time, and we couldn't make it more than that in 5.

Is....is this normal? Is there just some kind of psychological affect on teams where if a point is about to be taken if they give even a little, that makes them play twice as hard? I genuinely can't understand why this keeps happening. Those games should be easy wins, but I've yet to win a single one.

hypernima

Banned
No one can stay away from overwatch...

We blew that Volk game.

I have to stay away from OW dude.
You saw, I went from 2718 to 2474.

My Masters or even Diamond dreams this season are dead. I'm never getting out.

And I feel like I played well that match too. I just don't see much more point in bothering.

Veelk

Banned
I have to stay away from OW dude.
You saw, I went from 2718 to 2474.

My Masters or even Diamond dreams this season are dead. I'm never getting out.

And I feel like I played well that match too. I just don't see much more point in bothering.

I went from 3200 straight down to 2000. I even dipped below to the 1900's at one point.

300 points is nothing. You'll get it back.I

Also, does anyone feel like talking out strategies is overthinking it? Because I can't help but I get more success with strategies if someone just says "I got grav" and i respond with getting ready for grav without much actual planning or interaction.

exYle

My Genji has been seriously off lately. Getting smeared in QP and comp.

Anyone know any drills I can run with him? I'm trying to get my shuriken accuracy up. I tried the headshot-only Ana bot practice but that feels kinda like a crap shoot.

Anybody?

Owzers

For the fourth time, I lost a game where the point SHOULD have been an easy cap (Just stay on it for more than 0.5 seconds!), and we managed to get it up to 0.5 and not any further. That's how far the other team got when they were attacking with 1 minute in over time, and we couldn't make it more than that in 5.

Is....is this normal? Is there just some kind of psychological affect on teams where if a point is about to be taken if they give even a little, that makes them play twice as hard? I genuinely can't understand why this keeps happening. Those games should be easy wins, but I've yet to win a single one.
We missed our window after the Mercy resed, I didn't really hear what the random was saying, but I thought we were going to Zarya tracer combo but then I died before anything happened.

I bound voice line into L3 press since it was the only unused button. Turns out in the heat of battle I accidentally press L3 from time to time and D Va goes "el oh el".

It's great. Makes for awesome kill cameras.
Like saying LOL just before getting shot in the face, or while falling from a cliff...

I love Overtime, makes the attack team go nuts and try to burst as fast as possible making the defense team life easier. Breaking the overtime is pretty much decided if you kill the defense supports first and then blow up the rest with Ults

Change your d-pad button configuration to voice lines.

Up - kuso
Left - mada mada
Down - yosh
Right - merry christmas

10s before the game begins start with up and go counterclockwise, as soon as the doors open your accuracy should improve if you used the 4 voice lines before the match began.

It works for me.

But seriously, just try to find the best sensitivity/crosshair for you first of all, I spend a lot of time with genji on practice range destroying bots and games against AI at medium difficulty 5vs6 (my team Ana/Zen/Zarya/Sombra vs Ana/Zen/Lucio/Zarya/Reaper/S76) on lijiang tower, you can create the game in the arcade. Choose skirmish as the game mode so it lasts 30m without interruptions.

Change your d-pad button configuration to voice lines.

Up - kuso
Left - mada mada
Down - yosh
Right - merry christmas

10s before the game begins start with up and go counterclockwise, as soon as the doors open your accuracy should improve if you used the 4 voice lines before the match began.

It works for me.

Don't forget to bingewatch all the animes on crunchyroll.

Maximo

Yep always hated Widow.

Apathy

I really can't take healing more than a few rounds per night. Holy shit people are so bad at protecting their healers. I don;t understand, when I'm not healing, I am watching out for healers, listening for sound queues from their characters and also from people trying to sneak around. I peel for them, I do everything possible to get keep them safe. The second I go and heal, no one bothers to help at all.

DR2K

Banned
DVA does 2 dmg per pellet, each blast has 11 pellets with a wide spread. You need to be directly next to an enemy to do any type of significant damage. DVA is a dive tank, get in harass the healers or hitscan, then get out.

I understand her gameplan. I just don't like that there are so many lopsided match ups in the game. A character can be advantageous without completely destroying them.

I really can't take healing more than a few rounds per night. Holy shit people are so bad at protecting their healers. I don;t understand, when I'm not healing, I am watching out for healers, listening for sound queues from their characters and also from people trying to sneak around. I peel for them, I do everything possible to get keep them safe. The second I go and heal, no one bothers to help at all.

You know what worse? beside audio warnings and the obvious shooting behind you and incase of Mercy you can see her health draining due attacks , no one bother to turn around and see the group is getting flanked.

I usually run in front of the tank since is the safest way to survive

ISOM

You gotta love when you get shit talkers who start to showboat and talk the most shit when winning. Then when you get them the next game and roll the fuck out of the, they start copping excuses when you give it back to them. Those are some of my favorite moments of competitive.

MG310

Blaming the Symmetra for a bad Hanamura defense when they picked 2 healers on top of her and a Rein at the gate with nobody behind him to shoot.

Okay.

DVA does 2 dmg per pellet, each blast has 11 pellets with a wide spread. You need to be directly next to an enemy to do any type of significant damage. DVA is a dive tank, get in harass the healers or hitscan, then get out.

Oh. I get gold damage quite often as DVA in my comp games, but I suppose that's low gold league stuff then?

KuroNeeko

Sombra has been growing on me a lot lately. I feel so dirty just constantly harassing the enemy until you see an opening and then BOOP. Watching an enemy run to a health pack I've hacked never gets old.

Starting to feel comfortable with her, D. Va, Symm, and Mercy--though Mercy is still a sub-50% WR.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any unlockable/achievement/whatever tied to beating the normal uprising mode on legendary in particular?
Yes, you get an achievement and either an icon or a spray.

I'm really unhappy with the legendary mode this time. The Halloween mode was more reasonable. If they had put checkpoints you could retry then it'd at least be less ridiculous.

Sande

I understand her gameplan. I just don't like that there are so many lopsided match ups in the game. A character can be advantageous without completely destroying them.
If you're not doing good damage as Dva, especially against a larger immobile target like Zarya, you're just not hitting your shots properly. That's really all there is to it.

Dva vs. Zarya is pretty close despite Zarya being her counter. I think Dva actually has the upper hand in a straight-up 1v1 if Zarya has low charge. I think that's something Overwatch does well. Even if an opponent is your counter, there is usually a lot of room for counterplay. They've avoided straight-up rock, paper, scissors design quite well imo.

I went from 3200 straight down to 2000. I even dipped below to the 1900's at one point.

300 points is nothing. You'll get it back.I

Also, does anyone feel like talking out strategies is overthinking it? Because I can't help but I get more success with strategies if someone just says "I got grav" and i respond with getting ready for grav without much actual planning or interaction.
Yeah, generally. I only like talking strats before the match. Since it helps get everyone on the same page.

Also...
Q: why did you randomly charge into enemy team Rein?
A: my shield went down.

Every time.

DR2K

Banned
If you're not doing good damage as Dva, especially against a larger immobile target like Zarya, you're just not hitting your shots properly. That's really all there is to it.

Dva vs. Zarya is pretty close despite Zarya being her counter. I think Dva actually has the upper hand in a straight-up 1v1 if Zarya has low charge. I think that's something Overwatch does well. Even if an opponent is your counter, there is usually a lot of room for counterplay. They've avoided straight-up rock, paper, scissors design quite well imo.

Eh, that's the thing. That opportunity goes to the shitter when both players have an understanding of their character. A good dva will never beat a good zarya. That's really all that there is to it. There's too many hard counters in this game.

ISOM

Eh, that's the thing. That opportunity goes to the shitter when both players have an understanding of their character. A good dva will never beat a good zarya. That's really all that there is to it. There's too many hard counters in this game.

Your opinion is usually seen at lower level play. No one high level complains about too many hard counters or D.Va being too weak to Zarya. D.Va is actually in a really good place right now and I see her constantly in high tier play as well as mid tier.

Cappa

Banned
Don't put yourself in a position where you're forced to 1 v 1 a zarya with dva.

Use your advantage against zarya(your mobility) and high tail it out of there back to you're team and healers.

Trickster

Why are people saying a D.va can't beat Zarya 1v1? It seems like something that depends entirely on what charge the Zarya is at? D.va should stomp a very low charge Zarya unless they're dumb enough to give the Zarya 40 energy once she bubbles

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Use your advantage against zarya(your mobility) and high tail it out of there back to you're team and healers.

Yeah this. D.Va (and Winston) can go basically anywhere that's currently relevant on the map every five seconds, so do that.

Or try pulling a Zarya away from her supports in hopes of taking you out, and then diving the back line and wreaking havoc before she can retreat. Wasting your counter's time and diverting them out of position can put you at pretty solid advantage.

Sande

Why are people saying a D.va can't beat Zarya 1v1? It seems like something that depends entirely on what charge the Zarya is at? D.va should stomp a very low charge Zarya unless they're dumb enough to give the Zarya 40 energy once she bubbles
This is what I was saying. Low charge Zarya can't even destroy the Meka before she has to reload after 5 seconds.

Of course if she has high charge Dva has to gtfo immediately.

Cappa

Banned
To many factors to say "dva can beat zarya 1 v 1"

No one here is saying she can't under no circumstances but there are very few situations in which a dva has a 1 v 1 advantage over zarya. Full charge or no full charge.

Sande

To many factors to say "dva can beat zarya 1 v 1"

No one here is saying she can't under no circumstances but there are very few situations in which a dva has a 1 v 1 advantage over zarya. Full charge or no full charge.
Under 25 charge Dva has the upper hand, over 25 Zarya does. I don't think that's too many factors. But it's pretty pointless anyway since I have a hard time imagining a situation where they could (or should) be having a 1v1 duel.

Cappa

Banned
Under 25 charge Dva has the upper hand, over 25 Zarya does. I don't think that's too many factors. But it's pretty pointless anyway since I have a hard time imagining a situation where they could (or should) be having a 1v1 duel.
Still unlikely considering her DPS output is 95 for about 5-6 seconds of beam which DM can't eat. For what like 475 damage ish?

Even without bubble zarya still has upper hand.

Sande

Still unlikely considering her DPS output is 95 for about 5-6 seconds of beam which DM can't eat. For what like 475 damage ish?

Even without bubble zarya still has upper hand.
Around 25 charge is the point where Zarya can destroy the mech with one clip. Under that threshold Dva gets 5 seconds (7 if there's no bubble) to kill Zarya, plus however many shots she can take out of mech. 400 damage to a large immobile target in 5 seconds is not a tall order.

Top Bottom