• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ozark - Official Trailer (Netflix original series starring Jason Bateman)

K' Dash

4 episodes in...

Ruth is great. The Langmore's are interesting. The FBI guy is a creep. Jason Bateman is phenomenal. His kids are solid.

Happy with the show so far.

FBI guy makes me more uncomfortable the more screen time he gets, amazing performance

PopeReal

Really liking it, on episode 6 I think.

Not sure how far the premise can go, but solid acting all around and some fun characters.

BeeDog

Just breezed through the first 2 episodes, show's awesome so far. Watching so many slow shows lately, it's refreshing to see this one keep the momentum and I'm glad to hear it keeps it going.

Lombax

Banned
Not since the Sopranos [
the day dream and way Adriana was murdered
] has a show been able to evoke anger out of me.
The scene in the last episode where the
Pastor puts his newborn under water
I was furious until that scene played out.

Fantastic show, very much looking forward to season 2.

Just binge watched this the last couple days. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2.

Not since the Sopranos [

And omg for sure this. Had to look away.

Moff

the last few episodes were really good, looking forward to the next season now, although I initially thought I would prefer this to be a 1 season show.
Killing Del was certainly the biggest surprise but it really worked for me, I had to stop Netflix for a minute when he called them rednecks, just to laugh, because it was so obvious what would happen.
It also opens in interesting premise for season 2, that and Ruths father coming back.

Certinty

On episode 9.

So far this might just be Netflix's best non-comedy original show. Just hope the last two episodes deliver since Stranger Things and 13 Reasons Why ended poorly in my eyes.

pr0cs

Only five ep in but I really like it.
The soundtrack is excellent and suits the theme perfectly.. Dunno if anyone mentioned that before

Binged this whole show. Loved it. Love Batemen. Love Ruth. Good vibes. Good writing. Good music. Good times.
On episode 9.

So far this might just be Netflix's best non-comedy original show. Just hope the last two episodes deliver since Stranger Things and 13 Reasons Why ended poorly in my eyes.

oh it delivers

Kadayi

Banned
Good to see so much positive reaction coming from everyone. I've been singing this shows praises to anyone who will listen as a must watch, so it's good to know I'm not alone.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if Ruth dies I'm flipping some motherfucking tables.

edit: wait that area is a real place? :eek:

welp I have a new dream vacation spot

Corpekata

Banned
Liking this more than I expected.

Granted, part of that is because I grew up going to the Ozarks or similar areas.

But I also like that Bateman's character isn't really a badass but like someone else said, a hyper rationalist rather than someone meant to be intimidating. The early trailers didn't really sell me on his antihero role, and I was kind of put off, but he mostly works. That being said, at least early on, Laura Linney seems totally wasted in her role. Hopefully that aspect gets better.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This feels like a show that is hyper-aware of the trappings of "prestige" tv writing and tries to swerve around them.

Spoilers up to Ep 3
The wife knows by Episode 1. The kids know by Episode 3. It's pretty hilarious to see those two things just immediately dealt with when other shows would've made both of those things season long arcs.

I'm on Episode 4. Digging it so far. Not in love yet, but I appreciate that it isn't wasting my time with tired plots that I've seen done 100 times already.

Bill Dubuque is shaping up to be quite the writer. I really enjoyed what he did with The Accountant, and then this show drops outta nowhere and I find out it's his. I'm glad that Warner Bros snatched him up for their Nightwing movie.

Can someone please spoiler with just a yes or no.

I am on episode 3 now.

The trailer trash storyline sucks and I hate that entire family. Especially the young girl. Does she die please? Or any/all of the trailer trash family?

UrbanRats

I think they managed to make the kids not so awful, considering how most shows handle them.
They still fall into the usual trap of being annoying and pointing out problems the audience doesn't care about ("I wanna go home"; "i want my old life back" etc) but by
telling them immediately
, and not spending too much time on them, they did make them more tolerable.
Plus they had the boy and
his Chekhov's gun
, which lent his plot line some interest.
They should've found something more substantial for Charlotte to do, though.

Can someone please spoiler with just a yes or no.

I am on episode 3 now.

The trailer trash storyline sucks and I hate that entire family. Especially the young girl. Does she die please? Or any/all of the trailer trash family?

Yes and No. it's complicated.

Anyways I really enjoyed this show. Especially Ruth. Loved how
. How the wife knew and was all in, and once the kids found out, they were kind of all in as well

Also I totally thought that Marty and
and the owner of the blue fish inn were totally going to hook up

Also I totally thought that Marty and
and the owner of the blue fish inn were totally going to hook up

I did too, until I realized that
while she probably wanted to, his brain was constantly scrambling to think of ways not to die a terrible death. Half the time he didn't even look directly at her when he was talking to her.

UrbanRats

Also, the Preacher is a proper moron.
He basically did all that shit to himself or, at the very least, he should blame the Snells.
Trying to paint Marty as the Devil is just silly; he was greedy and got in bed with some bad people, but he's no Walter White, infact, he tried to save their ass more than once.
I hope the show runners won't try to pull that card, and just pin it on the Preacher being a naive dummy.

Ploid 3.0

Just started watching this yesterday, I was digging it the first episode. Just finished episode 3

That girl and her family annoys me whenever they are on screen. Why the heck are they in a cage at the end, and all they have to do is pull the screw out, it's not like she locked the cage. It just seem like a unintentional comedic arc. Girl bossing grown people around like they are the kids.

faridmon

Just started watching this yesterday, I was digging it the first episode. Just finished episode 3

That girl and her family annoys me whenever they are on screen. Why the heck are they in a cage at the end, and all they have to do is pull the screw out, it's not like she locked the cage. It just seem like a unintentional comedic arc. Girl bossing grown people around like they are the kids.

There is a reason for that

That girls dad is a notorious criminal and the two uncles don't want to get on the bad side of the girl. Plus they know that she is smarter and more tougher than them so they follow suit and are also weary of her antics.

Best girl of the show by far

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Finished, and gotta say it was pretty damn good, much better than I earlier gave it credit to. Wasn't a big fan of the Preacher character and his storyline, though that last scene in the water was great.

KodaRuss

I am 4 episodes in but I am kinda shocked how low it reviwed now. This show is just great. I am just glued to the tv for every second.

Ploid 3.0

There is a reason for that

That girls dad is a notorious criminal and the two uncles don't want to get on the bad side of the girl. Plus they know that she is smarter and more tougher than them so they follow suit and are also weary of her antics.

Best girl of the show by far

Sounds interesting, I'll be watching more today, thanks.

I'm happy for Jason Bateman. I was getting some Breaking Bad vibes, which I miss a lot (waiting a year for more Better Call Saul). I love crime drama.

Not since the Sopranos [

Yah I was thinking during that scene wow this show went from dark to pitch black and was relieved I guess lol

k91191

The last episode when the
cartel rips off two of Marty's toenails
might have been the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in a TV show.

Loved the show though. Excited for a second season.

Calm Mind

giphy.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
episode 8 structure seems...odd? like out of order? that or I was just too sleep deprivied when I was watching this morning when I came home from work.

That Ruth character is so good and complex
she is smart, resourceful and get things done. But, behind this criminal mastermind, she is a broken girl looking for acceptance from her father. She said she didn't want to kill Marty because he is a great businessman and a good man, but I think she found the father that she never had. I hope they continue to explore both angles next year, Ruth helping Marty run his business, but that fatherly figure she so desperately wants

eso76

Episode 3.
Solid, intriguing, great acting all around.

Plus I always liked Bateman (besides his acting skills I mean). Might be because I had a huge crush on her sister Mallory:p

Hope his character doesn't go full Heisenberg at some point.
Loved that bit with the FBI agents.

Also, I hate Netflix releasing all episodes at once. What happened to looking forward to next week when the next one airs :p

Finished the series. Loved it.

Darlene Snell is terrifying.

Her vicious temperament and icy glare mixed with that husky, rustic voice. She's easily my favorite protagonist on the show.

The preacher has no one to blame but himself for his wife's murder. Who the fuck did he think he was saying no to?

And goddamn Del Rio got his wig pushed all the way the fuck back. They're hillbillies not rednecks. lols

And what keeps the cartel from coming down to Ozark and wiping them off the face of the earth?

G-Bus

Banned
Think the wife and I are on episode 7. Well.. she watched 7 last night. I couldn't keep my eyes open after a long day.

Damn good show though.

Edit. Probably shouldn't be in here until I finished the series but a lot of people are half way through and I just read a spoiler I wish I hadn't.

Can we get some spoiler tags in here or at the very least have something in the thread title.

Drain You

It's more like season 4 breaking bad where everything has gone to shit and characters are constantly in danger. It's pretty insane that they managed to start out with the stakes so high and yet still be so good, very little filler.

Bateman does an excellent "exasperated by circumstances outside of his control". It was a common thread through Arrested Development, and they put it to good use here.

You should watch Breaking Bad.

You really need to watch Breaking Bad

Well I just wanted to say, I was sick over the past week and marathoned Breaking Bad, on Season 5 now and god damn. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rhaknar

Episode 9

LOL at Ruth
figuring out he was wired (well thats what she assumed) and turning it around
, I fucking love Ruth, she's one of my favorite charcters in any show in ages.

whybother

Neo Member
I was pleasantly surprised by this show. Began watching in it in lack of anything else.

episode 8 structure seems...odd? like out of order? that or I was just too sleep deprivied when I was watching this morning when I came home from work.

I think they were jumping back and fourth a bit. I was actually pretty tired as well when I watched it. They showed the end before the intro at least.

Rhaknar

I was pleasantly surprised by this show. Began watching in it in lack of anything else.

I think they were jumping back and fourth a bit. I was actually pretty tired as well when I watched it. They showed the end before the intro at least.

I watched the rest of the ep erlier and it was deffinately out of order. Stylistic choice I guess, it wraps around nicely at the end so I liked it.

Episode 9

Marty
stop being a fucking prick Ruth just saved your life.

I love this show.

Watched it all in 2 days, best Netflix show after early House of Cards and pre-season 3 Bloodline for sure!

Hopefully Netflix gives this a chance of becoming a proper series with a proper ending.

Gastone

Just watched first two episodes with the wife. Loved it! Always liked Bateman, and it's nice to see him in this role. I love the overall dark tone of the series so far, and the brutality.

Dabanton

Very happy to see more people coming round to the show.

Really is a great show. Goes to show that we shouldn't always rely on reviewers to tell us what we should be watching. The show not being hyped to high heaven has actually worked in it's favour imo.

I've been spreading the gospel of Ozark on my social media and most people are really enjoying it.

Top Bottom