• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter - Next gen is last gen; projected console sales figures; Xbox to win next gen

AZ Greg

And I don't think these 'experts' are giving Nintendo's system selling software enough credit during the Wii U's lifespan either. The Wii U isn't going to replicate the success of the Wii last gen, but I can't see it being another N64 or GameCube in terms of installed userbase either. Somewhere in between sounds about right to me.

Um, that is exactly what he predicted...

MIMIC

Banned
What does "next gen is last" mean? Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo won't be making any consoles after the next batch?

No more video games? Really?

deviljho

Someone is gonna bump this thread four years from now.

yXBg4Fq.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49069473&postcount=152

Somnid

Nintendo is already developing a next-gen system so this is already 100% confirmed to be wrong. And it makes sense too. If Wii U fails they'll need to push something else out, a new proposition, and if it doesn't they'll want to continue. There's no way the future doesn't have at least 1 more.

royalan

What does "next gen is last" mean? Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo won't be making any consoles after the next batch?

I took it to mean that this might be the last generation where we get gaming consoles as we have traditionally known them.

It makes sense. Microsoft is moving quickly to position the Xbox brand as an all-around entertainment hub for the living-room with gaming as the cornerstone. Absolutely brilliant and forward-thinking positioning - if you ask me - since Apple and Google have made it perfectly clear that the living-room is their next target.

Sony is attempting the same with Playstation, although with slightly less success.

Nintendo....well, Nintendo is backing themselves further and futher into a corner. Who knows what they're doing these days.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

We'll all be living in the cloud next next gen.

vTJ5rsI.gif

The only thought I have after seeing the first post is that that guy's neck looks like Vegeta's forehead.

But really I can't see any of the next gen consoles selling into the 80-90 million range. There are too many cheap alternatives now. A healthy 50 - maybe 70 mil or so seems more likely.

Somnid

not saying that the PS2 had no casual gamers, that would be silly. but the consumers that the PS2, Xbox, PS3, and Xbox 360 marketed themselves to were exactly the same- from the games, to the commercials, to the design of the console. heavily skewed towards males 14-35, who already have an interest in games. And judging by the total consoles sold at this point, their efforts were successful and this audience grew. "casual" gamers buying the ps1 or ps2 were still very likely males in that age group that still played games- just not as often. Casual gamers that bought the wii were just as likely to be 40 year old moms that never bought a console ever. Totally different comparison. the definition of "casual" gamer shifted wildly this time around.

There was growth in the GC to Wii audience, but nintendo targeted two totally different groups for both consoles, so looking at growth isn't all that useful.
Each generation, console makers have aimed slightly older. So, the third gen systems (NES and such) aimed at young children. The SNES and Genesis aimed at children and younger teenagers. The PS1 and N64 aimed at teenagers and children. The PS2, GC, and Xbox people in their mid 20s and below. Then last gen, 18-35 probably for the PS3/360, and all ages for Nintendo. People playing games keep gradually getting older, so the consoles adjust over time and keep aiming slightly older each generation. Each generation also continues to aim at the younger ages the previous ones did, though, so there's always more people being added at all age ranges.

(Computer games, by the way, have aimed at adults since the beginning, pretty much.)

So yeah, Nintendo did aim at a new market with the Wii, but Sony and MS didn't keep things exactly as they had the previous gen, either. And the Wii has a good number of traditional games for gamers; it's certainly not a system with only a casual base. The Wii was not just for people who don't play games at all, after all. I mean, sure, Nintendo did change their focus, but they tried to appeal to both groups at once.

Also, games like the SingStar line on the PS2 in Europe sold almost exclusively to what anyone would call a casual audience, and there that was a BIG seller. Quite a few of those "40 year old moms" bought PS2s for things like that. Many other people bough it just to be a DVD player and barely ever bought any games for it. You'd need to take that into account too.

But again, every generation sees a change in the gaming audience. That PS360 14-35 males target market you mention? First I'd say that by now it's really 18-35 that gets the biggest PS30 focus, but beyond that, yeah, the PS2/Xbox/GC were not aimed at that, not really. 13-25 for the PS2 and Xbox, maybe? As I said, audiences expand each generation. Nintendo did decide to expand it even more with the Wii, but they also released stuff for core gamers too.

It irritates me when people predict the end of consoles without making any suggestion as to what will replace them. Are they just gonna walk off into the sunset with a tip of their hat? Are Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo just going to say "adios guys!"? Why would you predict the next generation of consoles to sell over 200 million combined units then say they'll be the last?

In 5-7 years everybody will have fiber in their home and will ditch their consoles in favor of streaming services like OnLive of Gaikai, right? Only crazy diehards will actually care about owning anything anymore...

Now, for a long-term prediction that IS a possible (not good, but possible) future, but it's most certainly not one that's coming in the next 5 or 8 years. And while there is something of a diminishing of returns in graphics, that doesn't mean that people will say "that's enough, never buying another system now". That's silly, we're not at that point!

Now if the idea is that there's going to be a crash and that's why it'll be the last gen for a while... well, that's possible. But with those sales projections, Pachter isn't predicting that.

Why are people acting like the sales for this generation are already finalized? PS3/360 are likely to end their lives somewhere near or above 95 million when before they get discontinued. His figures and analysis is very conservative, albeit the more likely scenario which he fails to take into account is that one of them will be much more successful than the other: The systems are too similar for both to thrive in my view.

Also those saying that no system is likely to surpass 50 million LTD is an idiot and has no right to criticize Pachter. Even if we saw a situation where we're facing serious decline the worldwide market will not shrink by 50%, especially with new emerging markets in Asia and South America poised to actually increase sales.

Spinluck

8GB of RAM allows for a massive amount of innovation, I don't see how anyone can deny that. Now whether that will actually result in as much innovation as it allows versus the same kinds of games we have now that look prettier is another thing. I'm looking forward to see what Valve can do in the next generation with Source 2 if they still are seriously committed to game development.

Let them be ignorant.

Cutebrute

Because if you take away the Wii anomality there was a big decline this gen compared to last. Now in a world with a lot more entertainment options, any sensible person would expect a decline in the coming gen. But not Pachter.

But the PS2's DVD playback and the Guitar Hero phenomenon also pushed it's growth so far ahead of the competition that we can say there were "anomalies" during that generation as well.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
8GB of RAM allows for a massive amount of innovation, I don't see how anyone can deny that. Now whether that will actually result in as much innovation as it allows versus the same kinds of games we have now that look prettier is another thing. I'm looking forward to see what Valve can do in the next generation with Source 2 if they still are seriously committed to game development.
It means that games won't be as memory bound anymore. Whether that means more innovation or not is up for speculation. I think more diverse business models are what will really allow for more innovation next gen. AAA games usually play it safe because it's too much money to gamble with.

Spinluck

It means that games won't be as memory bound anymore. Whether that means more innovation or not is up for speculation. I think more diverse business models are what will really allow for more innovation next gen. AAA games usually play it safe because it's too much money to gamble with.

With less limitations, that opens up the possibility for more innovation.

It's pretty simple.

sleepykyo

I really REALLY don't understand the title of this thread considering the content of the presentation.

Next generation is going to be the last generation as the aggregate consoles sold declines. Interestingly enough since he numbers are so high for the PS4 and Durango, it almost seems like they'll be a bigger development base that this generation.

I can see and sort of suspect that'll be the last generation, but both the PS4 and Xbox 8 should be lower than their current generation ltds to reflect that.

Because if you take away the Wii anomality there was a big decline this gen compared to last. Now in a world with a lot more entertainment options, any sensible person would expect a decline in the coming gen. But not Pachter.

This has been coming up a lot too and I feel like it needs to be addressed too. PS2+Gamecube+Xbox was 201 million. PS3+360 alone are over 153 million and still going up (All 3 are currently at over 250 million). Even if you cut the Wii's sales in half it would still be a modest improvement over the 6th generation. We're seeing substantial growth this generation regardless of Nintendo's performance.

apana

He said that this generation as well, in 2009. Someone has said this like every generation.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90443-Pachter-This-Is-The-Final-Generation

"I think we've seen the last generation of consoles," Pachter said at the GamesBeat conference today. What Pachter saw in his crystal ball was this: Nintendo might release an upgraded Wii with HD and more storage, but Sony and Microsoft probably won't release another console. That's because there's just no more money in it, and third parties won't want it either.

"[Third party publishers] are not going to support a PS4 or Xbox 720," he said. "The content is not going to change in any meaningful ways because the publishers can't afford it." Instead, Pachter envisions a standard delivery form - maybe something like the recently announced OnLive cloud-based system that delivers on-demand gaming by crunching data on remote servers and displaying video over the intertubes to your PC or TV.

How did we go from

"8 GB GDDR5? ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!"

to

"8GB GDDR5? So what? How can that even do games?"

I'm sure devs not having as huge memory constraints will be a BIG deal next gen. The launch lineup won't show it, but the second and third round of games (especially open world) will blow faces away.

qko

Personally I find it unlikely that the console gaming market will grow rather than shrink but only time will tell I suppose.

And I'd also like to say that projections this far in advance before the generation comes into full swing are almost never accurate.

Exactly, how can the console market as a whole grow, to then go away according to Patcher.

The numbers for this generation are Wii ~100 million 360-PS3 ~70-80 million. How can both PS4 and 720 suddenly be both around 100 million and the Wii U 60 million? Are the PS4 or 720 going to be heavily casual market machines like the Wii?
Most people seem to agree that the majority of the Wii "casual" market has gone to buy .99 cent iPhone games. What makes Patcher believe that those people will buy a 720 or PS4? Is Sony or Microsoft secretly keeping the bombshell of more "Imagine Babiez" or more "Petz" or some other casual shovelware from all of us?

AZ Greg

How can both PS4 and 720 suddenly be both around 100 million and the Wii U 60 million? Are the PS4 or 720 going to be heavily casual market machines like the Wii?

You do realize that the 360/PS3 will be around 100 million when all is said and done for them too right?

fritolay

I don't know what job title Pachter has, but I could have made those slides just by reading Gaf, wait maybe he....

I think the overall video game market will continue to grow, but the console market will actually shrink this gen.

USC-fan

Banned
How can 8GB RAM innovate something that's not purely graphics?

Ram has little effect of gfx once you hit a certain point. The biggest thing with more ram is it allows game designer to do about anything they like without the worry of running out of ram. Ram is the most limiting factor in games this Gen. Really it has nothing to do with gfx.

qko

You do realize that the 360/PS3 will be around 100 million when all is said and done for them too right?

PS3? Don't they still need 30 million to get there? I really don't see them reaching 90-100 million unless it comes at the cost of PS4 sales. Which I believe would mean less lifetime PS4 sales.

I could see the 360 probably getting there. I don't see the Durango releasing this holiday, meaning another holiday of sales.

Sandfox

How did we go from

"8 GB GDDR5? ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!"

to

"8GB GDDR5? So what? How can that even do games?"

I'm sure devs not having as huge memory constraints will be a BIG deal next gen. The launch lineup won't show it, but the second and third round of games (especially open world) will blow faces away.

I think it really depends on whether devs want to put that much effort/budget into games to take significant advantage of what the extra RAM allows them to do.

I can see the upcoming generation selling more LTD than this generation for the simple fact that I expect the PS4/Durango generation to last longer than the PS3/360 generation. With longer software support, this will drive console sales a few extra years and it should be able to get that LTD.

I don't get what he's saying though that it'll be the last generation of "consoles." Unless he means a form of purely stream from your TV based gaming, but we know that's not going to happen unless the US makes a drastic change on how it's broadband works.

AZ Greg

PS3? Don't they still need 30 million to get there? I really don't see them reaching 90-100 million unless it comes at the cost of PS4 sales. Which I believe would mean less lifetime PS4 sales.

I could see the 360 probably getting there. I don't see the Durango releasing this holiday, meaning another holiday of sales.

Both need ~15 million to get to 90. And Pachter's predictions for the PS4/720 were 85-95 million. You're doing like the previous poster that took the high-end of his prediction and then added more to it. Regardless, he is basically predicting they'll do the same as this generation. He isn't saying they're gonna capture all the people who were on the Wii bandwagon.

Broken Logic

Neo Member
Both need ~15 million to get to 90. And Pachter's predictions for the PS4/720 were 85-95 million. You're doing like the previous poster that took the high-end of his prediction and then added more to it. Regardless, he is basically predicting they'll do the same as this generation. He isn't saying they're gonna capture all the people who were on the Wii bandwagon.

You might need to re-read his post, and his quote. Sure he's a little off, but only by 5 mil in his quick approximation. If ps3/xbox around around 75 mil, they need 25 mil to get to 100. qko is saying he doesn't think ps3, at least, will reach 90, let alone 100. And that if they do, it'll mean not so good things for the ps4.

Wow. For PS4 and Durango to sell more this gen in their lifetime, especially if they are priced too high. I don't know about that.
With the headstart the Wii U has, it still could pick up sales quickly if the they just get more games. But they are not going to have the same kind of success like they did with the Wii.

GetemMa

-$70 games
-possibly DRM or limited advantages to 2nd hand retail
-sluggish economy
-competition from tablets
-Xbox sold 75 million but how many of those people bought more than one because RRD? my best friend has purcahsed 3
-PS3 also probably has a decent % of repeat buyers from YLOD.

and he expects PS4 and next Xbox to sell almost 100 million EACH?

LOL, no way. Maybe combined. Unless both are faulty pieces of crap again.

His Wii-U prediction is probably more accurate. 30 to 35 million. I think Nintendo would be thrilled to sell 50 million.

I know his business is to advise investors on tech companies, maybe he is denial that the only ones that will see growth in the coming years already cost $500 a share at least like Apple and Google.

What was so impressive about the PS4 presentation btw? I didn't see anything that will have the masses rushing out to pick this up. The core will be there but it is here now and the industry is in free fall. It is a HW upgrade in a box. It has a few kind of neat social features and as a multimedia center it seems a marginal upgrade from what we have now.

At this point in the game, ALL predictions are crazy predictions. Seriously, if we did the same with what we know now, could we really do any better?

If anyone comes back to this in 2018 to laugh at it really needs to have better goals in life. Seriously.

AZ Greg

You might need to re-read his post, and his quote. Sure he's a little off, but only by 5 mil in his quick approximation. If ps3/xbox around around 75 mil, they need 25 mil to get to 100. qko is saying he doesn't think ps3, at least, will reach 90, let alone 100. And that if they do, it'll mean not so good things for the ps4.

You might need to re-read the original post of his I quoted. He, along with many others in this thread, are looking at Pachter's lifetime predictions for the PS4/720 of 85-95 million and comparing them to the current PS3/360 numbers and wondering how he can predict such a huge improvement in sales over this generation. But in actuality, it isn't really a shocking unbelievable prediction since the PS3/360 will end up around those numbers when all is said and done for them. It only looks like a huge jump if you assume the PS3/360 are completely done selling. Oh, and if you take the high end of Pachter's 85-95 million prediction AND add 5 million on top of it to get to 100 lol.

Top Bottom