• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter - Next gen is last gen; projected console sales figures; Xbox to win next gen

DaBoss

xWu1XiG.jpg

I don't buy the whole publishers won't close. More and more middle-sized developers and publishers will close for sure sadly.

Binabik15

If PS4 "thrives", Sony first party kicks ass and multiplats run the same or better on PS4, the Nextbox can win for all I care.

If Sony dies and there's no alternative to paid for online gameplay and maybe always-online and/or a camera watching me, I will go pc only for next-next-gen and hope that the pc crowd stays wary of such BS and punishes publishers for draconian DRM as it often does already.

Hex

Banned
Skype could be integrated in interesting ways, but as of yet has definitely not been a killer ap on anything else that it has been on though is nice on pcs for some things.
A tv tuner could let you use your xbox hard drive as a dvr , but it depends on which cable companies get on board as to how much actual use you get out of it.
Otherwise it is not much different than the tuner in your tv, except again you can dvr your standard channels (but not your digital or movie channels without the cable company being on board).
So while it will get alot of "YEAH THIS IS AWESOME, HAVE BEEN WAITING ALL OF MY LIFE FOR THESE THINGS" by people in a thread if announced in reality I do not know if killer ap will apply.

Gakai...I want to see it working, I want to know what is actually 100% set in stone available right now at launch and what will be coming later. Alot of vague talk still going on.

Nintendo software is still king, for those who live and die by Nintendo first parties.
A Nintendo system can not live on these alone, they come too slowly so they need something in the gaps and promises do not count.

PCs never left

Bashtee

Why is Sony still playing catch-up? They actually perform better than Xbox. PS3 got released 1 year later and there is only a difference of less than 2 mio sold units. That is quite incredible. But I also think that Skype and a integrated TV Tuner are overrated. So what do I know?

The reason why Sony might not be into a possible PS5 is Gaikai. Guess we still have to wait for an answer from Microsoft.

P90

My prediction: all of the consoles will sell more than 30 million each during their lifespan. I'm really going out on a limb, eh? ;)

Hex

Banned
Why is Sony still playing catch-up? They actually perform better than Xbox. PS3 got released 1 year later and there is only a difference of less than 2 mio sold units. That is quite incredible. But I also think that Skype and a integrated TV Tuner are overrated. So what do I know?

The reason why Sony might not be into a possible PS5 is Gaikai. Guess we still have to wait for an answer from Microsoft.

They had a bad start, and had to spend the rest of the gen recovering instead of moving ahead.

RetroStu

Banned

Microsoft went from 25 million sales of the Xbox to 76 million sales of the 360, Sony went from 120 million sales of PS2 to 74 million sales of PS3, i'm guessing he's looking at it from the sense of Xbox is expanding while Playstation is diminishing.

Microsoft went from 25 million sales of the Xbox to 76 million sales of the 360, Sony went from 120 million sales of PS2 to 74 million sales of PS3, i'm guessing he's looking at it from the sense of Xbox is expanding while Playstation is diminishing.

This. Im sure casual people that bought ps2 for Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, DMC, Tekken, etc. bought PS3s cause they assumed they'd only be on PlayStation. Next go around they'll probably just go with the cheapest.

Edit: Granted nobody knows for sure but GTA being available for cheaper on Xbox definitely had an impact.

Taurus

Why is Sony still playing catch-up? They actually perform better than Xbox. PS3 got released 1 year later and there is only a difference of less than 2 mio sold units. That is quite incredible.
It's pretty simple actually. PS3 sells in Japan, X360 doesn't.

AZ Greg

Why are you all reading the catch-up line strictly as Sony vs. MS? Sony is playing catch-up to the Wii this gen and he predicts the 720 to win next-gen so they'd be playing catch-up then.

nekomix

"We won't lose anymore publishers to bankruptcy"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... Publishers didn't see game budgets exploding at the beginning of last gen, lots of analysts didn't see 2008 downturn coming, why believe this?

Alx

When he says "still playing catch up", does he realise that PS3 sales globally have overtaken the 360's?

Even if it's true (we're still lacking official numbers about that), it doesn't matter so much in the end. Having more sales at the end of the generation is not a perfect performance indicator, a better one would be "the longer time spent in the lead", since that's when money is made and developer support is gained.
Being first at the end of the generation is a good position to start the next one though, since it means that at that moment you have the better mindshare. But being outpaced most of the generation (especially a long one) is playing catch-up indeed, even if you do catch up in the end.

You're comparing old consoles. I'm comparing PS3 vs 360.

It's unclear if ps3 overtook 360 still. As of now it hasn't and even if it did the damage has already been done,its beyond late at this juncture. In order for sony to beat MS they need to beat then in the US since its the biggest and most important market.

FLAguy954

You're comparing old consoles. I'm comparing PS3 vs 360.

What are you talking about? The mindshare numbers he gave you were gained and lost with the Xbox 360 and PS3 respectively. Furthermore, Nintendo has a lot more mindshare than Sony has as well.

noobasuar

Banned
Yeah I think the PC will see the largest growth espacially now that every third party game is probably going to have a PC version.

What's the point of buying these expensive new consoles if they don't have a robust line-up of exclusive games?

I don't think Sony's or MS first party offering are enough to get many people to switch over from their current consoles.

Yeah I think the PC will see the largest growth espacially now that every third party game is probably going to have a PC version.

What's the point of buying these expensive new consoles if they don't have a robust line-up of exclusive games?

I don't think Sony's or MS first party offering are enough to get many people to switch over from their current consoles.

They will switch,these consoles are ancient and that alone will make most move as usual.

nib95

Banned
It's unclear if ps3 overtook 360 still. As of now it hasn't and even if it did the damage has already been done,its beyond late at this juncture. In order for sony to beat MS they need to beat then in the US since its the biggest and most important market.

Except this is not true. Even though 360 software sales best the PS3 in the US (and even overall), PS3's Euro dominance nets multiplatform devs (EA for example) more revenue overall. So it's not as clear cut as you make out.

I honestly can't see the PC being a growth power house.

Windows 8 adoption is lagging Windows 7 sales and desktop and laptop sales are getting slaughtered by tablets.

Mass market consumers are far more likely to be content with their iPads and their abundance of free/cheap time waster games than they are to come flocking back to the AAA scripted cut scene blockbusters.

If anything I'd expect the only significant growth in the next generation to be seen in the tablet and smartphone segments. If that happens then publishers and developers aren't going to stick around the barren wastelands of the consoles for long unless they have some huge console IPs under their belt.

Satchel

Banned
Less limitations = More imaginative ideas.

It's like saying better hardware doesn't lead to innovation, only *Spongebob Imagination gif* imagination does.
You don't always need some gimmick to be different, and I loved the Wii and love my Wii U.

A game like, say, RE4 wouldn't have been possible on consoles before that point.

Or Shadow of The Colossus, and even that had a couple of technical struggles.

God of War, Zone of The Enders and so on. At the time, those games offered very unique experiences, that didn't require some different controller input. Just good ideas, and good hardware.

So at the people saying we won't get better and more creative games or game scenarios at some point, LOL. Don't have such a closed mind.

I'm sorry, I disagree.

At what point did I say we won't get better games?

I said RAM doesn't breed innovation. RAM will make better performing games with nicer visual touches.

Creatively bankrupt developers will still make the same games, they'll just look and run better.

Creative developers can still innovate on weaker hardware. That's why they're creative.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The new one looks like someone on here wrote it, and contradicts the other two?!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm sorry, I disagree.

I said RAM doesn't breed innovation. RAM will make better performing games with nicer visual touches.

Creatively bankrupt developers will still make the same games, they'll just look and run better.

Creative developers can still innovate on weaker hardware. That's why they're creative.

They could still do more on better hardware.

The only thing that doesn't need much horsepower are pretentious indie platformers.

I personally think it's entirely ass backwards to bolt an entertainment device onto a console. The end result is far too expensive to be mass market.

You're better off doing the opposite.

MS doesn't have the proper vision here at all. No way it takes off like Pachter is predicting.

Microsoft bought Skype for $8.5b in 2011.

MS obviously has big plans for it.

The Nextbox version of Skype will be some striped down gimped piece of shit that you will have to upgrade to get it working to a reasonable standard. So it will be revenue generating for MS.

Skype is the very definition of not a killer app - it's available on a huge range of devices already and it's shit on all of them.

I really don't know what Mr Pachter was smoking when he decided to throw that bullet point in there.

Spinluck

I'm sorry, I disagree.

RAM allows for more than improved graphics.

To each their own.

jond76

Banned
Speaking of predictions, we are about to start another business week. Anyone think any fun next Gen news will spill this week?

Seance

Banned
If PS4 "thrives", Sony first party kicks ass and multiplats run the same or better on PS4, the Nextbox can win for all I care.

If Sony dies and there's no alternative to paid for online gameplay and maybe always-online and/or a camera watching me, I will go pc only for next-next-gen and hope that the pc crowd stays wary of such BS and punishes publishers for draconian DRM as it often does already.
PC gamers are just as bad if not worse than console gamers for condoning anticonsumer practices.

Top Bottom