• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon Open Beta Thead | PC x PS4

newest community corner: https://youtu.be/GEMfivFj5xE

reddit summary said:
  • 2:10 - card teasers? - next question (wha-a-at?)
  • 2:35 - current state of Muriel - challenging to find the right balance to play. A dev challenge is to make her targeting mode better (a problem of ulting the wrong person). Maybe she will be one of the heroes looked at later this year.
  • 5:40 economy - there is no CP anymore! there will be currency. Refers to RTS games and resources. 1 - it will allow more room to tuning cost effects (instead of 60 points there will be hundreds... thousands...). 2 - uncapped economy (there is no "limit of 60")
  • 9:55 - wards - there are too many wards in the game. We need fewer wards. They will become more rare and more meaningful.
  • 10:30 - from wards to Kallari - she is going to be really good with no changes. She is already pretty good. But you will no longer see games where everybody starts with wards. Implicitly means a buff to Wraith with his sonar.
  • 11:10 - over 100 effects? - one of them "enter the Shadow Plane for 3 seconds after passing through a Shadow Wall"
  • 16:57 - affinities - there will be effects specific only to certain affinities. Intellect is being renamed to Knowledge, Corruption -> Death, Fury -> Chaos. Changes are related to LORE.

Kei-

My 4 copies of Essentials Editions came today!
24,000 Coins for $56!

iFz7W8ul.jpg

Thank you Groupon + Google Express + Fry's Electronics, that combo saved me roughly $45

Absurd amount of coins now:
R0yewR2.jpg

Nice deal, I still have 6.5k coins left over from the deal around November or so. That one was actually a money maker haha, bought 4 copies from Amazon at about $16 a piece, then traded them in to Best Buy for $21 a piece.

Gave a code to two friends and kept two for myself. Unfortunately, due to the loot box gacha system EPIC is using (can't blame them, as I'm sure the numbers favor it), I just find myself holding on to my coins. Would rather save them than waste them on keys that might not yield what I actually want.

Mindlog

I used a bunch of my free coins on the massive number of loot boxes I had.
Now I have a bunch of free coins again, but nothing that really grabs me in the loot department. Except that one Iggy banner maybe.

The only thing I purchased directly so far besides keys was the Revanant skin. I wasn't missing out on that.
5:40 economy - there is no CP anymore! there will be currency. Refers to RTS games and resources. 1 - it will allow more room to tuning cost effects (instead of 60 points there will be hundreds... thousands...). 2 - uncapped economy (there is no "limit of 60")

9:55 - wards - there are too many wards in the game. We need fewer wards. They will become more rare and more meaningful.
Those are two enormous changes holy hell.

Moobabe

So just played my first PvP in a million years.

A couple of thoughts...

1. People can still be assholes - not all of them - but some of them. I picked Phase (because she looked pretty cool and I'd played a couple in PvE) before getting an earful because "EVERYONE PICKS PHASE FUCKING HELL YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!"

2. This is a real thought: keeping track of enemy carries is too hard. Let me try and explain:

In DOTA, for example, I can quickly switch the camera and check out another lane. If an enemy carry is visible on the map I can quickly how powerful he is, how farmed he is etc

In Paragon, seemingly out of nowhere, I'm 2 shot by a Sparrow on 30 minutes. I know I can tab to look at scores, creeps killed etc, but unless your team are communicating properly (which obviously they aren't) then carries get out of control super quickly and you don't know it until they're on you.

Still, was kind of fun.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
^

You can check their CXP and what their count is ##/##
Also see what cards they're running with

If Carry on enemy team is fed well with Raptors and farmed properly, they will wreck, but are glass canons of sort

Most carries have no escapes

Also slowly but surely there's a revolt happening through Paragon
The subreddit main 2 themes are Toxicity and Loot Crate RNG
People want to win, there's always going to be winners and losers, but in MOBA due to small teams everyone's mistakes get shown tenfold
It's hilarious how Unranked that is PvP right now has this much toxicity, I shudder to think when Ranked comes out and the true Elo or whatever Rating system they go with, oh boy, that's gonna be something alright

That's why I Co-Op, don't need the headache of reading chat from pc players typing a storm while you can't respond, with kill yourself or other bullshit things
Most low level players watch pro player or top player streams and think they can ape them and get shutdown and blame others for their mistakes, not realizing Pro players or streamers are 2-5 stack and communicate accordingly and do rotations, call outs, pings, never blame their teammates, always saying my fault if something goes wrong.

Moobabe

^

You can check their CXP and what their count is ##/##
Also see what cards they're running with

No I get this - but a lot of cards still have no artwork, so you can't recognise them at a glance. Also, and maybe this is just me, the ones that DO have art aren't particularly noteworthy.

If I played a bunch more I might quickly recognise some BUT being able to quickly swap the camera to another lane I can actually see how quickly creeps/heroes die vs enemy carries - an easy visual indicator even if I don't know or understand the items they have.

ZeroCoin

No I get this - but a lot of cards still have no artwork, so you can't recognise them at a glance. Also, and maybe this is just me, the ones that DO have art aren't particularly noteworthy.

If I played a bunch more I might quickly recognise some BUT being able to quickly swap the camera to another lane I can actually see how quickly creeps/heroes die vs enemy carries - an easy visual indicator even if I don't know or understand the items they have.

The duplicate/generic art is a problem for that. At one point they were updating those cards with new art, but I assume they just stopped because of the upcoming system rework.

Moobabe

The duplicate/generic art is a problem for that. At one point they were updating those cards with new art, but I assume they just stopped because of the upcoming system rework.

Yeah for sure, it's just an observation, rather than a criticism.

I don't have a solution for it really, and I'm sure it's something that they've spoken about at length.

GraveRobberX

Well card and economy rework coming in August

100 cards changing, artwork for most that don't have it

Now Affinity will matter
Every Hero will have access to certain things from their shared Affinities. So Grux who is Fury and Corruption (now name changed to Death) will get access to card with Passives and Actives that say a Rampage will not get access too, making them matter more
Guessing help with Bleed and other abilities that can stack that

Right now it looks Order < > Chaos (Fury renamed), Growth < > Death (Corruption) and Knowledge (Intellect) in the middle, Universal stays as a whole around those 5 Affinities

ZeroCoin

Yeah for sure, it's just an observation, rather than a criticism.

I don't have a solution for it really, and I'm sure it's something that they've spoken about at length.

Totally agree. Just echoing that it is annoying to have to hover the cursor to get detailed information to decide how to counter with your build. Especially as a PS4 user.

Eggbok

So I made a deck for Revenant and tested it in coop. I went 51 - 1 lol, that is never happening again lmao.
It was funny because I was taking on all 5 of them at times by myself and I'd leave to go get more cards.
The rest of the team would go to right lane and get killed trying to take just two or so on.
I don't think I ever really paid attention to crit cards until the deck I made, I was wiping the bots out in 3-4 hits, craziness.

GraveRobberX

So I made a deck for Revenant and tested it in coop. I went 51 - 1 lol, that is never happening again lmao.
It was funny because I was taking on all 5 of them at times by myself and I'd leave to go get more cards.
The rest of the team would go to right lane and get killed trying to take just two or so on.
I don't think I ever really paid attention to crit cards until the deck I made, I was wiping the bots out in 3-4 hits, craziness.

Get Orb Prime, just look at the Bots way and you hear "PENTA-KILL!"

Scar (maxed out) works so well, I forget about Obliterate sometimes and just tag Enemy after Enemy with it

If you have a Phase tag along also tethering you, good lord you wipe the whole field clear in their base, I've done it!

Looking down the feed.. D.C. Douglass, Yuri Lowenthal, possibly Mary E McGlynn, Greg Chun, and Alix Getter have all done VO sessions with Epic.

BUT, keep in mind that none of those tweets specifically say Paragon, so they could be for any of their games that have narrative.

Moobabe

Looking down the feed.. D.C. Douglass, Yuri Lowenthal, possibly Mary E McGlynn, Greg Chun, and Alix Getter have all done VO sessions with Epic.

BUT, keep in mind that none of those tweets specifically say Paragon, so they could be for any of their games that have narrative.

Are any of them in Fortnight?

Either way i'm pumped for vo in Paragon

Are any of them in Fortnight?

Either way i'm pumped for vo in Paragon

I don't know. I don't follow Fortnight's progress and VO credits aren't always very accurate for video games. A lot of uncredited performances for minor characters (think "Soldier #2" kind of stuff) and on top of that the video game industry often hides the specific projects titles from the Actors themselves while they're working on it. Even sometimes well after it's released.

The tweet specifically mentions the new Paragon VO coordinator liking the performance who also responds on the feed. But yes, it's possible this is for another game.

Full VO will add so much to Paragon.

I've fallen off on playing Paragon a couple months after the Monolith update, but no joke, full VO would make me come back.

Toni

I hope that they make them like Uncharted 4 MP. Characters feel alive and they have funny lines.

A lot of them also react based on an action given by the player. I know Wraith and Twinblast will defo bring out the chuckles.

Exciting times coming for Paragon.

MaLDo

Is there a plan to fix the downsampling problem?

It is there from the beginning.

I mean, with a 1080p TV and the PC version, only way to down sample is to use border less window and downsampling the desktop resolution. I will have better resolution in exclusive mode but this mode doesn't allow downsampling (resolution option lists every resolution but don't apply then) and resolution scale option doesn't go over 100%.

Game postprocessing blurs too much and the game only shine downsampled :(

I expected more from Epic.

GraveRobberX

I hope that they make them like Uncharted 4 MP. Characters feel alive and they have funny lines.

A lot of them also react based on an action given by the player. I know Wraith and Twinblast will defo bring out the chuckles.

Exciting times coming for Paragon.

Listen to Twin lol... "There's a bug in you!", "Think Fast", "Where you going?", "Here, hold this", "Get some!"
Also Grux + Rampage, Goddamn! with their VO's
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaJhkxbgas

From data mined VO files from way back

Dekker's "Hot Plasma" and "Don't tap on the Glass" are always funny to hear
Hope we get a roster big enough so no more mirror matches can happen
A true 10 man draft, then VO's will shine, if teams run almost same comps or "meta" at the moment these VO's will lose their charm

Toni

Listen to Twin lol... "There's a bug in you!", "Think Fast", "Where you going?", "Here, hold this", "Get some!"
Also Grux + Rampage, Goddamn! with their VO's
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaJhkxbgas

From data mined VO files from way back

Dekker's "Hot Plasma" and "Don't tap on the Glass" are always funny to hear
Hope we get a roster big enough so no more mirror matches can happen
A true 10 man draft, then VO's will shine, if teams run almost same comps or "meta" at the moment these VO's will lose their charm

That is so great, why havent I seen this before &#128514;

Twin is crazy. Even the in-game lore describes him as so. VO's should have been there day 1 man. They bring so much to matches. Decker could seriously deliver funny lines considering her trapping abilities.

I want to see banter between Twin and Wraith, and my life will seriously be complete.

GraveRobberX

That is so great, why havent I seen this before &#128514;

Twin is crazy. Even the in-game lore describes him as so. VO's should have been there day 1 man. They bring so much to matches. Decker could seriously deliver funny lines considering her trapping abilities.

I want to see banter between Twin and Wraith, and my life will seriously be complete.

I hope there's banter at the start with your teammates
Really love that in Overwatch

Lucio and Symmetra go at it in Numbani, Tracer and Widow in Kings Row
D.Va getting called a child with her "Who are you calling a child!'

Also when your Roadhog and kill Junkrat, he says Shut Up sometimes or Pharah gets last hit on Reinhardt and says "Sorry Reinhardt"

When VO and Lore converge, oh my will the shipping explode for Paragon, can't wait!

Ploid 3.0

Ok, I'm going to love Zinx. I was having a blast with Lt. Belica yesterday, and she seems like a good fit for Belica styled ranged play.

Loved the trailer too, I totally got what they were doing after the first second, and it was golden. Good job Epic! Reminds me of the Kill Bill opening, but because the old shows KB opening played homage to were before my time.

Edit: Oh link wasn't posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAj9QONpPGA

I've played this a few times but never really got into it. Getting bored of Battleborn finally, thinking of giving this another shot.

My local Walmart has a couple of those PS4 Paragon Essentials copies left in clearance for like $15. Are they worth it? Anything in there worth having as a noob? Thanks.

Eric WK

I've played this a few times but never really got into it. Getting bored of Battleborn finally, thinking of giving this another shot.

My local Walmart has a couple of those PS4 Paragon Essentials copies left in clearance for like $15. Are they worth it? Anything in there worth having as a noob? Thanks.

It's worth it for the in-game currency alone. Everything else is a bonus.

GraveRobberX

Try to grab a few copies if you can, it's really worth it

The codes stack!

Each Essential Edition gives you 6000 coins, that's $60 translated. So people buy that just for access to those coins
You also unlock 5 Masteries and some skins, including an exclusive one (if you missed Year 1 Anniversary, it was given at the time). Then a 3 win Rep Boost that works every week for 5 weeks, every time reset happens on Tuesday (sometimes Wednesday) with the new patch.

So for you getting $60 currency for $15 is no brainer
Hell I've bought 6 copies total and have at the moment 41,600 coins. So $416 for only $100 spent...
Not a bad investment, if your gonna play it for a long time!

Just know PS4 coins and PC coins are separate from each other. Your Account can share the skins, Boost, anything purchased between the platforms, but coins are separated by platform,so if your going to play on both, don't freak out if PC you see 0 coins, yet everything on PS4 coin wise

Newest community corner: https://youtu.be/_TQ4xyQs0ys

reddit summary said:
HIGHLIGHTS:

No Major Strikes and Casts, no slots in cards
a new cosmetic item is coming for Rep
not sure if that's a news but Game is planned for a release early 2018
You can choose affinities for a hero. Pick affinities for your deck (not a hero). Then any hero can pick any deck.
Details.

1:30 - about Beta tag of the game - bottom line. There will be changes. we still receive feedback and make changes to the game. Captain.
5:00 - New Skins? - one Iggy skin, Iggy Phoenix skin is in works (not soon but anyway).
6:30 - Process of implementing skin variations - brobably will be interesting to those who say it's a 5 minutes work
7:10 - "Sick" Aurora skin confirmed - concept stage.
7:56 - Balancing early-game Heroes and late-game Heroes in an uncapped environment - in an uncapped env late-game Heroes are obviously better. and there is a lot of math changes under the hood for the big update coming. Better to hear entire explanation from Cam. Till 10:30.
11:00 - Reasoning for Community Corners - show the community about design philosophies of Paragon. And this is an insight on conversations that actually happen b/w devs at Epic.
14:07 - Reputation store - related to Mastery re-work. It includes new skins, new emotes, a new cosmetic item yet to be revealed. If you don't own Hero masteries, then you'd rather buy it. All of the mentioned items will be available for Rep.
16:15 - Drafting system UI - it's in the future (tm). There are concepts in Forums.
16:30 - Will Legacy come back? - Monolith is better at every single point. A map of this size will not return.
17:41 - in an uncapped env what's going to stop people from building major Casts? - No Major Strikes and Casts, no slots in cards. The real answer - we want you to. With a game release it will happen some time early 2018
18:40 - New cinematic trailer? - it would be cool :)
19:40 - Decks removal? - Throw out everything you know. It's all changing. Literally. You will still be building decks. A deck is a possibility space.
20:40 - Current state of Towers - Towers will never be an ultimate source of safety.
23:20 - Decks are going to be portable - affinities will be something you can pick for your deck (not a hero). Then any hero can pick any deck.
30:30 - Zinx - super tough and leverage huge Mana Pool. More to come on Monday during Dev Stream

Toni

Welp, I adore Zynx.

I outlive everybody with a crapton of health and basic armor. Then put some crit with health regen and crit bonus, and Zynx is total bae.

Oh, and she can not be killed with Phase.

Her tankiness is crazy lol

hurzelein

Hey, would anyone want to send me their spare Essential Editions Box (without the code) or just the cover (probably cheaper) to Germany?. I would love to have Paragon in my collection for display and it's not available over here. Idk could give you 5$+delivery cost via Paypal. Not much bit you would make someone extremly happy! You should have a reputable neogaf account though.

Does anyone know what the cheapest option for delivery would be? (Will try to find out now). Just the cover in between 2 other pages etc so that it doesnt crease so much should be the cheapest probably.

Afro

What's the most demanding/taxing graphical setting on PC? I find my frames drop a bit in big fights at max settings on a 980 Ti. What should I turn down first? Thanks.

Top Bottom