• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon Open Beta Thead | PC x PS4

Mindlog

Casters are the obvious things to look at, but Khaimera and Grux are also very mana hungry. My early game Iggy barely uses any mana unless I want to be a dick to the opposing laner or I'm bored. Will need to see how much mana she can drain and just how much damage her ult does. Should be fun. I see her getting a lot of play beyond the early adopter phase.

gweemz

I apparently "earned" $115 worth of stuff in this game for buying a new video card. Is what I got anything good? Should I start playing this game?

Casters are the obvious things to look at, but Khaimera and Grux are also very mana hungry. My early game Iggy barely uses any mana unless I want to be a dick to the opposing laner or I'm bored. Will need to see how much mana she can drain and just how much damage her ult does. Should be fun. I see her getting a lot of play beyond the early adopter phase.

Yeah, I recently finally got around to trying Grux and was shocked by how much mana he can eat through.

Excited to try the new character.

TheRed

I finally had a really fun competitive game when i partied up with 4 people. Tons of long teamfights and fighting that would end with both teams losing a couple and walking away licking their wounds. We won pretty handily with our pushes but the teamfights were always tough and that was fun, that's what I want from a MOBA.

Narbash is my dude , I got 3-3-30. Love that guy.

Travel mode is pretty OP, i could make it to help my teammates from anywhere on the map, would run in and stop the enemy with a thunk and give movespeed buff to my dying teammate and we'd escape easily. When that teammate first got attacked I was on the complete opposite side of the map and down lane. I shouldn't have been able to do that just by running so fast.

Then again without travel mode I feel the map would feel terribly huge considering I think they designed the map with it in mind. Also it makes this game unique and I like it, maybe it should just be toned down a little in speed.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I apparently "earned" $115 worth of stuff in this game for buying a new video card. Is what I got anything good? Should I start playing this game?

You unlock xp/rep boosts, skins, master challenges (Hero leveling up for rewards)

Its almost a decent shortcut if you're not going to invest many hours into the grind that's all
By that I mean its F2P, not P2W
So you can "catch up" and bypass "grind" of unlocking chars if you went the $0 route

Also most of the "$115 value" is the coins aka cash shop for the game
Here you can use real money then turn them into coins and purchase different skins (tiers 1-4, so far we are up to Tier 2), Masteries (it costs 75,000 Rep to unlock a Hero Master Challenge, takes awhile if you grind it by playing) you can unlock it for 1200 coins ($12)
Also XP/Rep boosts that stack with certain conditions to really jump ahead of the grind

So yeah there you go
Try it out for free, if you like it, use code and enjoy (remember its cross play, so once you use code, all stuff carries from PC <=> PS4 & most likely PS4 Pro)
If not, try to either sell code or give it away (*wink wink*)

She's an anti caster burst mage. She puts down a drone that drains enemy mana and attacks when people use abilities, and her ult bursts for damage based on enemy's missing mana. I can't wait to play her.

Also why doesn't GAF care about this game :(:(:(

It's not on Steam which limits the audience on PC, for sure.

Mindlog

Then again without travel mode I feel the map would feel terribly huge considering I think they designed the map with it in mind. Also it makes this game unique and I like it, maybe it should just be toned down a little in speed.
They've tried to solve the problem, but admitted it's difficult. There used to be a root if you got hit while in travel mode. I'm wondering if exhaustion would be a better choice. Crossing the map to support a teamfight becomes less tenable if you can't do anything when you arrive.

Had a great Grux game. Grux and Khai are the clear assassins right now.

Got my fourth Empyrean Mask so that's nice. Sometimes it's nice to feel like you are getting the cards you need to build a variety of decks and then you come across Cert's Fey and have to return to the workaround shop. Mildly amused that I actually have 5 minor casts and 8 majors. So close!

TheRed

They should just put it on steam and have it launch the epic games launcher the way Uplay does. I don't see why not.

Mindlog

This is a good post on Reddit about basic lane strat.
I'm facing higher tiers in PvP now, but people are still more than willing to push their lane into me.

The basic one two:
Drawing the enemy towards your towers gives your gankers an advantage.
Wards. Always wards.

UberLevi

89583377274C1319E15EFCCC72FB6F2A834D4453

Lt. Belica lookin' pretty hype, boiz. Not the flashiest introduction to the game, but definitely fills a needed role.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Basically RIP casters as long as someone has the nonce to counterpick with her once a couple casters are on the table.

Sounds OP in principle...we will see however!

It amazes me that GAF hasn't embraced this game more...it's so, so good.

TheRed

Basically RIP casters as long as someone has the nonce to counterpick with her once a couple casters are on the table.

Sounds OP in principle...we will see however!

It amazes me that GAF hasn't embraced this game more...it's so, so good.

Coming from Dota 2 it still needs a lot of work. But I am actually hooked on it and loving it, it can really become something great.

I've warmed up on the card system. It's really fun and interesting.

Looking forward to the Anti Mage like hero. Nothing more satisfying than blowing someone up after they use all their mana.

charsace

Yeah, I recently finally got around to trying Grux and was shocked by how much mana he can eat through.

Excited to try the new character.

Its good he uses a ton of mana and Khaimera also. Both guys are like prime Stone Cold, they just stomp the fuck out everyone. And when they are both on the same team good look.

People talk about the mages with the new counter character, but she can also cause huge problems for tanks who mainly are ability users. I can see carries being a problem for the Lt.

Mindlog

Some pretty big changes coming tomorrow morning that should speed up games quite a bit.
Reduced Black Buff Spawn time from 6 to 4 minutes.
Reduced Black Buff Respawn time from 6 to 4 minutes.
Reduced Prime Respawn time from 8 to 6 minutes.
Reduced Prime Health from 17000 to 13600.
Lowered siege minion targeting priority on towers and inhibitors.
Reduced timing of siege minion spawning.
Siege minions now spawn every other wave starting at 10 minutes then spawn every wave at 20 minutes.
Fix for Hardcase Howitzer mesh.
I've actually crashed quite a few times on PS4 recently so looking forward to those fixes as well.

GraveRobberX

1,000,000 Rep Get!
MqWcXgC.jpg

Since PS+ release till today, played everyday
That's a lot of Master Challenges Unlock (lol) or 100! Card Packs

Just kept banking Rep due to getting lucky with card accumulation with all those community challenges, weekly quests, leveling almost all Heroes to 5 (have roughly 6 to go to get them there)

So within that timeframe:

Master (level 10):
Murdock

Challenger:
Gadget (level 6), Greystone/Iggy & Scorch/Rampage (level 5)

No Initiate

Then I have, all these Heroes whose Master Challenges need to be unlocked

GRIM.exe/Grux/Sparrow @ (level 6)
Steel/The Fey/Twinblast/Riktor/Khaimera/Kallari/Feng Mao @ (level 5)
Dekker/Gideon/Howitzer @ (level 4)
Narbash/Muriel/Sevarog @ (level 3)
Using the double xp week to get all of them to 5 at least and earn all the free rewards possible for reaching Challenger status

Gonna save the Hero Master Challenges that unlock with the "Essential Editions" code
Gonna keep collecting Rep in the mean time
Not gonna use unless necessary to unlock for goodies, which I can for those 3 Heroes that are level 6 and earn Master Tribute from each of them
I still have those 5 Challengers to complete first!

Let's see how much I have after I finish those 4 Challengers off and get the Essentials Edition
Unless card crafting uses it or some new way your rep gets to be used

GraveRobberX

That's some dedication

Yeah this game is fun as hell
I usually enjoy co-op and leveling/grinding

Deck of Cards system is awesome and I always tinker with it almost on daily basis adjusting stuff

PvP turned me off due to AFK'ers and Quitters or Surrenders who give up way too quickly

Yeah their bots but you get to enjoy, earn the same amount of xp/rep if you pvp and before updates games were way too long in that mode

My time might get slashed a lot though
NFL - Sunday, Monday, Thursday
Destiny - Rise of Iron
Overwatch - Competitive Season 2

So yeah...
Might get in for the Daily Victory chest and finish off weekly challenges and try to put in a few games daily, but time will get slashed

So after seeing the new character and the video from the PS4 pro reveal I decided to download this and give it a try. Never player a moba before, hope I'm not out of my depth here...

Mindlog

You know some people will just place them, go back to base to get more and spam them without actually using them properly.
Fine with me. Still means they have a ward in their deck! We can build on this.

I had some great games yesterday after a slew of bad ones.
As Iggy I got a Baneflesh kill as I died. Will upload video later.
As Grim I took a risk and ninja assassinated the enemy core. Their core died on a final tick of black buff after I died.
So after seeing the new character and the video from the PS4 pro reveal I decided to download this and give it a try. Never player a moba before, hope I'm not out of my depth here...
This was my very first MOBA. I played quite a few bot games before really getting into PvP. On the surface it looks like a standard action game, but being a MOBA there's a lot of nuance that takes some time to pick up. There are some tips sprinkled throughout this thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

charsace

So many players don't use the map. It doesn't make any sense to me. They don't notice when enemies are pushing toward a tower or how many enemies are on the map and what part of the map they are on. The worst is when you are in the left lane and see the enemy pushing the right lane and a teammate is the jungle right next to him and you call it out 5 times, and they just let the enemy destroy the tower.

TheRed

So many players don't use the map. It doesn't make any sense to me. They don't notice when enemies are pushing toward a tower or how many enemies are on the map and what part of the map they are on. The worst is when you are in the left lane and see the enemy pushing the right lane and a teammate is the jungle right next to him and you call it out 5 times, and they just let the enemy destroy the tower.

I agree, it's extra confusing because the map is damn big in this game lol. You up for a game right now dude?

Coming from Dota, I am having quite a bit of fun with this game, however, I do have one issue. I know there is a card that is basically "Boots of Travel", but I feel like it should be given to you as a default. I'm in the right lane and my buddies need help defending the left lane. Give me 5 minutes to run over there. An exaggeration, but I'm sure you get my point.

TheRed

Coming from Dota, I am having quite a bit of fun with this game, however, I do have one issue. I know there is a card that is basically "Boots of Travel", but I feel like it should be given to you as a default. I'm in the right lane and my buddies need help defending the left lane. Give me 5 minutes to run over there. An exaggeration, but I'm sure you get my point.
Running across the map is actually super fast. It gets pretty annoying when I'm going for a solo one on 1 kill but it's a slow fight and his buddies I saw on the other side of the map show up in like 15 seconds.

GraveRobberX

Damn I'm cutting it close

I have only Gideon, Dekker, Sevarog, and Muriel left to reach Rank 5 before double xp vanishes
Gid/Deck I think ilk have easily fine in a hour or two they're both like 4.5

Its Sevarog/Muriel that are 3, which I have to pump xp in to get them to 5

I do hate that in co-op that certain Heroes get passed out by the time limit of finishing games quick
What I mean is any Fighter/Ranger/Caster that's formidable gets to do more than all the other Heroes on the field
Grux/Khaimera from the beginning get to feast in the Jungle, come for gank kills, then go back
By the time inhibitors drop, there like 6-12cxp ahead of everybody
Most games in co-op on average are finishing in the 15-20 minute mark
Sometimes your really assed out as Support character, Narbash doesn't start out so well, he needs to be at least level 10+ and have roughly 30cxp to be OK, 45+CXP decent. Yet people dedtroy their tower lanes so quick then move to another lane and forget theirs and then we lose a tower...

Hopefully people playing this understand co-op doesn't really translate over to PvP

So I started playing yesterday due to the whole "you got a bunch of free stuff because you bought a 1080!" thing. It's... interesting? I've never played DotA or LoL, but i've played a *lot* of Heroes of the Storm, so the longer matches are taking some adjusting. I've come to really appreciate the (a) 20-min match times of HotS and (b) the lack of last-hitting in HotS, so getting used to 30-40 minute games and last-hitting is taking a while. Everything seems more durable across the board than HotS as well, seems like there's a little more room for error in Paragon if you over-extend a bit as long as you don't waste your movement skill on engaging, and instead keep it ready for escaping.

They definitely need to do a better job explaining the "3D Resolution" slider: I thought maybe it only applied for 3D monitors or VR, which explained why everything looked so blurry even though I had the 'master' resolution set to 1440p: once I adjusted that 3D slider up to 100% everything looked way way better.

GraveRobberX

So I'm gonna fall a little short lol
Only Muriel left to get to Hero Rank 5, she's @3.5

Everybody else is 5+ now
Not bad with minutes to spare to at least have 20/21 characters to 5+

Tired, earned another close to 30,000 Rep while getting the last Heroes pushed over
Some of these Heroes are so boring or aggravating to play

Dekker is awesome with the killshot, her lobbing ball really rips the last chunk of health, but lose your MP, your Basic Attack is like fucking Mosquito Bites
So far annoying Heroes for me are Support, not that I'm suppose to match a Fighter Hero with stats, but goddamn they level up so fucking slow

Gotta love aaahole fighters Jungle then come kill all low health minions and take away CXP from you, like come the fuck on

Now to await the Lt. to come tomorrow to try out and get her to 5 also

TheRed

oh man that Polar white skin for Lt. Belica looks niice, can't wait to play as her. Also to see all other skins she'll get.

GraveRobberX

The new emotes are hilarious, that Gideon Hula-Hoop one
&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

Lt. Belica has pretty good waveclear. She's right up there with Howitzer and Iggy/Scorch in her ability to push a lane.

She doesn't come off as a hard carry, though. My first game with her I built her mostly with CDR/Mana with some damage/attack speed near the end. I like her! Though, I don't know how much I'll get to play her this week with everybody competing in the hero race.

Izayoi

Banned
Also why doesn't GAF care about this game :(:(:(
For me, it's because of this:

The card system that this game uses is the equivalent to Dota's (and almost all of the other games) items that are purchasable via the currency that you get from grinding creeps/killing heros/etc. You can simply look at the full list of the items, study it and then decide on a build that suits you.

These items are accessible for everyone from the very beginning without the need to level grind or any of that BS. Paragon tries to hide them behind a grind-fest and some sort of RNG drop system, even if you payed for reputation boosts/coins you'll still need to grind a lot AND be lucky.

It's stupid.

Having the item game separate from each individual match is ridiculous, IMO. A non-starter in my eyes.

Top Bottom