• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon Open Beta Thead | PC x PS4

TheRed

Went 5-0-9 with Lt.Belica. She's great! I had free farm to get a bunch of card xp and my team was doing good so I stayed in lane until I got like 22 card xp. Then I went to team fights with a bunch of fully upgraded cards and blew everyone up. The void bomb explosion is satisfying to hit people with. Also Ulting Gideon while he's black holing is just amazing, And the opposing Belica it destroyed her haha. Definitely gonna try to play a lot more of her, hopefully get first pick a lot.

ZeroCoin

How do you do emotes? I feel like I've pressed every button and no emotes!

They are in the comms menu.

well coop is good in this game, want more maps though

Co-op is just boring to me. You can just screw around because there's no challenge. Maybe they'll scale the AI based on their MMR system, but currently the games are just too easy to be interesting. Only useful thing for me with co-op is tearing through weekly challenges if I'm having a bad streak of pvp.

I don't know. I play mostly Coop and I have seen the AI drastically change lately.
Last night I had 4 AI bots come and destroy our middle lane towers.

Moobabe

Co-op is just boring to me. You can just screw around because there's no challenge. Maybe they'll scale the AI based on their MMR system, but currently the games are just too easy to be interesting. Only useful thing for me with co-op is tearing through weekly challenges if I'm having a bad streak of pvp.

Yeah same. Having played a load of DOTA I don't understand the appeal of playing a moba vs bots unless it's to learn a new hero.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How do you do emotes? I feel like I've pressed every button and no emotes!

You have to reach level 8 Hero...

You have to have the Master Challenge unlocked (75,000 Rep or through purchasing a "Pack" of various denominations that unlock the Hero Master Challenge)

Only then can you use the taunt of that Hero by pressing L2 + X (I think they might have changed this to the communications menu with L1, not sure)

The new ones I was referring to are purchasable through the store

You can see everyone's taunt in Profile > Heroes tab
Select a Hero, wait for the character model to load in, then hover over to level 8 portal
Tap it and see the emote in action
Most of the emotes are the same as you see on the victory scene when you destroy the core

ZeroCoin

I actually really like the card system. I've never really played the standard pc MOBAs, so I can't really comment on competing approaches. The only issue I have with it is how difficult some 'common' cards are to obtain. I understand that keeping cards rare and harder to get is part of the monetization approach since heroes access isn't restricted. I've been playing for quite a while and still am missing around 60 cards, which works out to about 20 percent.

Overall though, I think the card and deck system gives a lot of flexibility and building smart decks is pretty critical. Maybe it's my CCG brain, but throwing together a new deck to try and compete in the current meta is fun to me. Maybe a slightly larger deck size limit could open it up to more flexibility.

TheRed

I've played a few thousand hours of dota... And after about 30 hours in this I like the card system. Yeah sometimes in dota you deviate from your normal items and pick something else based on the situation but here I just diversify my deck a little bit for those type of situations and/or I guess you could create another deck for the hero with a different style. I like it and I like travel mode, it should just be slower when not in a lane. They make the game unique and I like that more than it just becoming a standard moba.

GraveRobberX

Yeah same. Having played a load of DOTA I don't understand the appeal of playing a moba vs bots unless it's to learn a new hero.

Maybe some people enjoy playing co-op?, Insanity amirite?

AI puts up a very good effort, you get to enjoy leveling up your Heroes, and relax setting
PvP is luck of the draw from my end
You need to hope you don't get an AFK'er or leaver or Surrender j(ust as the prompt for it goes live, cause things aren't going your way)

Why waste more time playing same game for same amount of reward xp/rep when you can get more done in that timeframe while doing co-op
I'm not touching PvP till Rank comes out
Then I'll have decks and good amount of knowledge to play PvP when it matters and players will give a shit
Same as Overwatch Quick Play

Nothing wrong with co-op, I enjoy leveling up my Heroes, earn rewards, and enjoy the game
They way some in here post its like yuck co-op I would never, heathen

patchday

I have no clue how other MOBA's are, is there stuff you have to unlock via RNG?

Like LOL shop everything unlocked?

Yeah luckily this is the only MOBA that forces people to grind for items. In any other MOBA (Smite, LoL, Dota)- you just accumulate gold during the course of the game and purchase it during the match

Epic Games decided they needed a way to fund development so they looked at Card games and decided to go with those awful random card packs. However, unlike Card games like Hearthstone, there is no way to craft the card you really need

I knew they were never going to add Card crafting. I just knew it. Doesnt take that long to add a system. So I quit the game a long time ago to save myself some frustration. never spent a dime on the card packs

Besides that game looks very good though. So beautiful

GraveRobberX

Epic Games decided they needed a way to fund development so they looked at Card games and decided to go with those awful random card packs. However, unlike Card games like Hearthstone, there is no way to craft the card you really need

I knew they were never going to add Card crafting. I just knew it. Doesnt take that long to add a system. So I quit the game a long time ago to save myself some frustration

I think through datamiing they found items which looks like card crafting is coming
Materials that look like they fit certain Affinity, so maybe soon/down the line?, card crafting might come or something of that nature

Right now almost evey card pack I unlock (gotten through rewards from leveling up heroes or challenges) I get too many of the high number cards
Like I have 7 Bounty Stalker cards, who the fuck needs 7 of those, each is a 6 point card
I have 1 Minor Kinetic, fucking 1, it's more rare to get 1-2 point cards than it is to get the 3-4-5 ones

Last 5 packs, all cards were 3-4 point
Not one was a 1-2 point card
Hope they let us buy card packs with certain possible point cards as the pack
I'll pay 15,000 rep to get a pack that gives me all 1 point cards or 2 point cards

TheRed

Dominated again with Lt.Belica, her ult is crazy strong and looks badass when you do it. Really good addition to the game.

Izayoi

Banned
Yeah this is still an issue I think. Doesn't really allow for any "on the fly" thinking.
Any plans to change this in the future? I see people talking about a crafting system, but it seems like that hasn't materialized yet?

That still seems like a band-aid, to some degree... Itemization that directly impacts in-game performance should not be tied to real life currency.

ZeroCoin

I knew they were never going to add Card crafting. I just knew it. Doesnt take that long to add a system. So I quit the game a long time ago to save myself some frustration. never spent a dime on the card packs

They are working on card crafting. They mentioned in steam yesterday that they were doing UX testing in the current system. I'm thinking a v33 (5 weeks away) release wouldn't be impossible.

I'm not touching PvP till Rank comes out
Then I'll have decks and good amount of knowledge to play PvP when it matters and players will give a shit
Same as Overwatch Quick Play

Nothing wrong with co-op, I enjoy leveling up my Heroes, earn rewards, and enjoy the game
They way some in here post its like yuck co-op I would never, heathen

But pvp and co-op are ranked currently. There is an MMR system in place, it's just not surfaced to the players. The only new system coming would be an unranked playlist that wouldn't give rewards, similar to solo currently.

Also, it's not that co-op is bad, it's just not the same game as pvp.

btw when are they adding new maps? this single map is driving me crazy and I've only played a few weeks

Latest datamining uncovered 2 new maps and smaller team playlists. One of the maps was apparently a tutorial map, the other is likely a smaller map. Obviously no idea of these are actually coming soon or not, but it's something that they said would eventually show up. I just wouldn't hold my breath.

Lt. Belicas ult sounds so damn punchy, its amazing.

Also, loving the server side update Epic just pushed out, they increased the minion movement speed from 450 to 550, leaving a lane now is gonna cost you big time from what i saw past 2 games.

Also, loving the server side update Epic just pushed out, they increased the minion movement speed from 450 to 550, leaving a lane now is gonna cost you big time from what i saw past 2 games.

Seems like they are really trying to speed the game up. I'm fine if this helps eliminate the 5 player ball some people do.

patchday

Dominated again with Lt.Belica, her ult is crazy strong and looks badass when you do it. Really good addition to the game.

Yeah she looks so good from what I've seen in her trailers. It really does tempt me to reinstall but I must have card crafting though. But if they add a fair card crafting system I will consider returning

GraveRobberX

If it removes the thinking of players running into the Jungle and sneak in a few kills to earn bonus xo will be in for a hurt

The game is changing quickly, a lot of players need to adjust

Also Holy Shit @ Lt.
She can clear a minion wave with the quickness
I tried her and went 10-1-6
Her combo of launching minions and following it yp with a bomb, cot damn

The drone I think is situational, but the other 2 moves are fucking amazing
The Ultimate when shot off feels so fucking meaty

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I'm this boat too, co-op is great for me when learning a new hero, but I derive about 10% of the fun from it compared to PvP.

Just had an hour epic against all mid plats (we are all low Gold), great win in the end... so good.

TalonJH

I think I should give Paragon another try. Any tips? I played a bit in a closed beta and have some experience in MOBAs but not a lot.

GraveRobberX

I think I should give Paragon another try. Any tips? I played a bit in a closed beta and have some experience in MOBAs but not a lot.

Well the game changed a lot
Check it out

Pick 2-3 Heroes you enjoy and go at it
Only thing is Deck building at the start won't be in your favor
Gotta get those packs, pray to RNG they match your Heroes Affinity

Travel mode has changed, no more rooting
Every month this game goes through a transformation and game livens up again
Almost a weekly patch, rewards galore for participating

GraveRobberX

Sorry, I did not receive anything. :-(

Stupid phone, NeoGAF PM'ing is a crapshoot on this BLU phone
It hangs on the page, it looks like it went, but you find out later you didn't

No biggie
I'm playing the game as much as possible already! LOL

ZeroCoin

Stupid phone, NeoGAF PM'ing is a crapshoot on this BLU phone
It hangs on the page, it looks like it went, but you find out later you didn't

No biggie
I'm playing the game as much as possible already! LOL

Don't get too hung up about it, that pack's value is mostly in master challenges. Definitely more of a beginner friendly pack than anything.

GraveRobberX

Don't get too hung up about it, that pack's value is mostly in master challenges. Definitely more of a beginner friendly pack than anything.

True, at least it saves a player on Grinding rep to unlock or get boosted
I mean I'm almost at the amount I can unlock all Heroe's Master Challenges, but that's wasting rep away at the moment

I've been saving since day 1 PS+ release
Never used a rep point yet
Up to 1,035,000 rep

Saving it for hopefully card crafting (maybe?) or buy packs when I really want a card that's not been dropping
So far I've gotten 20/22 Heroes to level 5, only Muriel @3.5 and Lt. Belica to 2 at the moment
Once I get them there, I'll have burned through all the free rewards for all Heroes available

Then only unlocked Master Challenge rewards possible
Have Gadget, Rampage, Greystone, and Iggy & Scorch to get Mastery before using any Rep to unlock master challenge
Still hoping for Essential Editions to drop go a good low price and snag like 5 copies and just stach the bonuses

Damn that bonus is sweet from that Nvidia thing
1000 coins
7 Master Challenges:
Twinblast, Muriel, Grux, Sparrow, Gideon (5 I don't have unlocked)
These 5 would save you 375,000 rep, would've unlocked Grux/Sparrow Rank 6 Master Tribute rewards
Murdock and Greystone already unlocked

Then 2 skins, Murdock Snakebite (I'm Master with Murdock) and War Chief Grux

Hopefully someone else doesn't need their code and that can really save me rep, get coins and skins

ZeroCoin

I've been saving since day 1 PS+ release
Never used a rep point yet
Up to 1,035,000 rep

Are you leveling characters to 10 without unlocking the master challenges first? That bonus xp seems like it would be pretty handy to get those levels.

Also, card crafting is likely going have cards break down into components based on affinities based on the data mining. No idea if rep comes into play or not.

GraveRobberX

Are you leveling characters to 10 without unlocking the master challenges first? That bonus xp seems like it would be pretty handy to get those levels.

Also, card crafting is likely going have cards break down into components based on affinities based on the data mining. No idea if rep comes into play or not.

No I'm getting all Heroes to 5 first, as said previously, 20/22 are at level 5+

Muriel and Lt. Belica left at the moment
That will net me all the free Tributes/Card packs possible
Until a new Hero and them get it to 5 lol

Then I have 4 heroes to go through at the moment with Master Challenges, Gadget (6) and Rampage (5) through PS+, then Greystone (5.5) and Iggy & Scorch (5.5) through Epic making them free
Already have Murdock @10

Then I'll use Rep to unlock 1 hero at a time
Grux, GRIM.exe, and Sparrow are already 6, so their Master Tribute is locked at the moment
I think Essential Editions unlocks a few of the Heroes and gives you 6000 coins
They're stackable too, copies are $20 at the moment, hoping them to be super cheap by black Friday and grab like 5 copies and have 30,000 coins lol

I'm still holding off on burning rep, just too see if card crafting might need it
I'm in no urgency to use it up when most my decks are set
Only want Minor cards to really use as co-op decks to tell you the truth

ZeroCoin

Sure, but I meant more in the sense that the master challenges instantly give you an extra 5% bonus xp. Also, if you really want essentials edition, you should look into the trade in values for the disc.

GraveRobberX

Sure, but I meant more in the sense that the master challenges instantly give you an extra 5% bonus xp. Also, if you really want essentials edition, you should look into the trade in values for the disc.

The disc is worthless, I think it only has the client on it
Its the code inside the box that has everything

Shit I'll just throw away the discs/boxes and get 5 codes when the price is right

That 5% bonus isn't anything crazy to tell you the truth
The team bonus also isn't much
Yeah it adds up over time, but not much

Only reason I got all the Heroes to 5 so quickly was through the double xp/rep a month before Beta and last weeks double xp
So that 5% felt minimal

Now with no boost, I can use it, so I have 4 heroes to play with that give me that bonus

Just played my first game since the new character. Didn't get to play her since the game hates me and always makes me last.

But luckily we had 2 teammates that left the instant the game started. Good times.

EDIT: And second game and I am second to pick. Pick her before anybody else and of course the moron that picks first just takes it from me. Really hate the community for this game.

ZeroCoin

The disc is worthless, I think it only has the client on it
Its the code inside the box that has everything

Shit I'll just throw away the discs/boxes and get 5 codes when the price is right

Yeah, I know the disc is worthless. I'm telling you that maybe some places that take trade-ins won't think it's worthless. Alright, I'll spell it out for you, best buy is currently taking the disc on trade in for 15 bucks. Do with that what you like.

And yes, I also know that 5% isn't a ton, but like you said it adds up. A million rep sitting around doing nothing sure isn't helping you out any either. Again, just a suggestion, do with it what you like.

TheRed

Just played my first game since the new character. Didn't get to play her since the game hates me and always makes me last.

But luckily we had 2 teammates that left the instant the game started. Good times.

EDIT: And second game and I am second to pick. Pick her before anybody else and of course the moron that picks first just takes it from me. Really hate the community for this game.
That doesn't seem that bad, he had first pick he can pick whoever he wants. Unless you mean you were both picking at the same time, that's annoying but still doesn't bother me much. Everyone wants to play the new hero, calling it doesn't really mean anything to me with new heroes.

I've done really good with Belica in the 4 games I've gotten with her. Only 1 game was really tough and I went 7-9 K/d but I still was doing plenty of damage for assists and we won at 50+ minutes. They had good tanks melee heroes that got in my face and wrecked me, Feng Mao, Sevarog, kallari really made my life tough and of course the opposing Belica ult was scary. So she's really strong but I'm not sure if truly overpowered, we'll see.

I've been playing pretty much all day today and have had a amazing streak going , have won 10 games straight. It's been a good day.

That doesn't seem that bad, he had first pick he can pick whoever he wants. Unless you mean you were both picking at the same time, that's annoying but still doesn't bother me much. Everyone wants to play the new hero, calling it doesn't really mean anything to me with new heroes.

I've done really good with Belica in the 4 games I've gotten with her. Only 1 game was really tough and I went 7-9 K/d but I still was doing plenty of damage for assists and we won at 50+ minutes. They had good tanks melee heroes that got in my face and wrecked me, Feng Mao, Sevarog, kallari really made my life tough and of course the opposing Belica ult was scary. So she's really strong but I'm not sure if truly overpowered, we'll see.

I've been playing pretty much all day today and have had a amazing streak going , have won 10 games straight. It's been a good day.

Eh, I try to be nice and let people play who they pick.

TheRed

Eh, I try to be nice and let people play who they pick.

Yeah me too. With new hero that goes out the window, everyone wants a try so no big deal.
This page feels so good. I'm on 12 straight wins all today. It's not helping me want to go outside lol.

29375040560_761156500e_h.jpg

GraveRobberX

I swear drafting brings out the most childish tantrum, just because you didn't get to pick her you abort the draft

Let them eat the penalty
If they keep doing it, bans will be handed it out

That's why I always 3-4 Heroes in rotation, I mean if its Hero Race and no one has picked the new Hero, I will, if someone does, switch

You're not getting into Hall of Fame as solo, in co-op lol
That's a team effort

Moobabe

I swear drafting brings out the most childish tantrum, just because you didn't get to pick her you abort the draft

I'd always avoid drafting within like 2/3 days of a new hero coming out.

I haven't even played since drafting came in (all my mates dropped out) but I updated last night so I might dive in for a game or two tonight (GMT) if anyone is around.

GraveRobberX

So we reached the first milestone in the Hero Race already

Damn, 200 million XP with her already reached
So 10,000 rep given to everybody
Now the match onto 400, 600, 800 million netting us another 10k per milestone

We might reach quickly, the community is enjoyingbthis character

The Fey dropped off during the weekend push
Narbash community dropped him way to quickly

Lt. Belica looks like she will be used a lot even after race, her kit is awesome
That combo of Nova Bomb + Launching up in the air works so fucking well

I've pumped Lt. Belica with MP/Health/Chrono+
With the new way the game works, you return to base a lot, so its best to pump big pools of health and mp and just keep going back to refill afterwards
Can stay and keep lane locked till you come back

My god can't believe how good she is clearing minions with the combo fully leveled up
I think Iggy still the best at clearing a lane
She's up their with The Fey and Grux at clear out

Mindlog

I haven't tried Belica in PvP yet, but a few PvE matches were fun.
I have actually started using Grim a lot more in PvP since Belica will be in every match from now on.

Managed to try three builds, but after the numbers were released I may go back to my original Tanky/Satori Cloak build.

Top Bottom