• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Mongler

Exactly what is it that people like about Boogie again? Every time I see something about him he reveals himself as a moron or a scumbag.

No idea; I guess because every few months he makes a video where he literally cries about his struggle losing weight, and people view him as a sympathetic figure for a while as a result. Never mind the fact that between those videos he always decides to insert himself into the latest YouTuber scandal with his typical hottest of take, "well both sides!", since these issues don't directly affect him. You'll notice he doesn't use the both sides argument when the issue is fat-shaming, however.

He's kind of an asshole.

Saw this earlier and thought it was great.

ua3pxfys76lz.jpg

Also Boogie is a piece of shit. Fuck your spineless fence sitting. At least the Nazi's have the guts to come out and say what they think. Honest to fucking god, this whole "be in the middle" attitude towards horrific and deplorable things is more harmful than a Nazi yelling racial slurs in the street.

2017 and we still need to have at length conversations about not screaming "nigger", folks...

And the excuses and intellectual masturbation on this topic is just extra whip cream on the "Fuck you" sundae.

People forget there are Black gamers too and shit like this is just another reminder even in a place where your actual ethnicity should have no bearing on your participation and enjoyment in this hobby that you're straight up hated and reviled.

And please no more half baked bullshit about how it doesn't mean that in Europe. My eyes can only roll so far back in my head.

I mean... do you guys really expect every Youtuber to weigh in on this? The vast majority don't even know PDP. Just because someone is silent on an issue doesn't mean they support it, maybe they just don't feel like it involves them at all. When athletes get in trouble for drugs or violence you don't see every other athlete come out and say something about it, does that mean they are all supporting physical assault?
The vast majority are affected by PDP's actions since March 2017 when he caused the "adpocalypse", though.

Jesus fuck.

Censor? Fucking free speach does not equal free hate speech without consequences.

Jesus christ. Even in Sweden this shouldn't be this hard.

the editor-in-chief is a fucking alt-right asshole

he was the guy who photoshopped away ellie when they had the last of us on their magazine cover

he was the guy who said he was tired of the lgbtq community "being loud and obnoxious in pride parades" and "shrieking about persecution" in pride parades (then when people pushed back against that he cried about not being able to criticize the lgbt community in pc sweden :()

ua3pxfys76lz.jpg

I saw a similar thing on FB. The string of comments was:

"Typical libtards getting offended over someone says ni**er! I say it to my black friend all the time!!!!"
"If it's not offensive why did you censor it?"
"I didn't want to upset any other black people since it's a public post"

?!

ua3pxfys76lz.jpg

Also Boogie is a piece of shit. Fuck your spineless fence sitting. At least the Nazi's have the guts to come out and say what they think. Honest to fucking god, this whole "be in the middle" attitude towards horrific and deplorable things is more harmful than a Nazi yelling racial slurs in the street.

What a bizzare world we live in

FLAguy954

Rampant racism has always been there, just buried deep. Its just bubbling out lately because of trump, ultra right wings politics recent rise.. and any attempt in society to admit that there is still a huge problem.

An online account is an easy sacrifice.

Exactly.

Yeoman

Boogie is a man that has made a career out of pretending to be a mentally disabled gamer prone to having meltdowns - just let that sink in.
He's a selfish hypocrite that always believes there's two sides to everything...except of course when it involves any issue directly related to him, then it's his way or no way.

Mahonay

Banned
I feel hungover from yesterday, watching all of those gray names in here eat shit for actually defending this. So many juniors perished yesterday. Mods deserve a thank you for keeping up with it like they did.

jennetics

The gaming scene embraced by "teh internets" is a misogynistic, sexist, racist and flat-out hate-fueled journey if it doesn't suit their own personal narrative. The defense and justifications of such actions are so immense that instead of looking at it from other's perspective (outside the realm of "teh internets"), folks tend to go for the typical few excuses: "Everyone uses it!", "It's a French word!", "Why do black folks use it then?", "I got many black friends!", "You all are judging the word and not the frustration!", "It's just a game, man!", "He mean nigga, not nigger!", "Modern music has pussy, cunt, bitch, nigga, fuck, and more! I'm just repeating what the songs tell me!", etc.

Trying to argue this defense is exhausting because they'll throw you around in circles until you lose the meaning of the discussion and the word itself.

To PewDiePie, maybe you need to get off streaming for a few months and wipe those diet racist tears with all the Benjamins you made. You're not in it for the money, right?

To developers, stop pushing your games toward internet celebrities who don't fulfill your company's vision, mission, and agenda. Just because someone has million viewers watching your game doesn't mean you put a blind eye to a scenario. That makes you a hypocrite (or more rudely, a hoe) and makes you look like your values are no bigger than the money you indirectly worship. You're not in it for the money, right?

To everyone else, fuck off. Continue enabling these habits, continue parading gamergate, and diet racist views, and continue forgetting the history. I'm sorry I wasn't born in a place with a deep racist cultural history, but a lot of folks did, and pretending I don't know any better makes me feel ashamed for any moment I acted rudely. To everyone complaining, you have no say in this fucking manner so fuck you. This is not your platform to express how you think everyone should be able to say slurs. You weren't born with it, and you will die alone, and I hope to God the last words in your deathbed is not a racist slur. You indirectly shills and stans; you're not in it for the money, right?

To myself, I have no point to make here but to state that trolls will be trolls, and ignorant people will defend their ignorant views with anger until they get it.

Sorry, PDP; your friends, family, fans and sponsors didn't teach you manners and worldly views. You just a close-minded piece of "teh internets". Grow a pair of brain.

Damn...no time to brew, Shao Kahn straight up shitting on these jerk asses. Nicely said. I have to be reminded of the bolded constantly, thanks for that.

The guy is a prick but he did this for coverage.

nah, you can tell by his face afterwards if you watch a couple minutes of the full video that he really regrets letting that one slip out on camera. dude's full on true colours came out and he can't hide behind the humor argument on this one.

he looks like me when i was a kid and had to walk home and tell my parents i was suspended from school lmao.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm real interested to see just how many devs stop supporting PewDiePie after this. We have to remember (and Ugh, I'm about to agree with the Keemstar tweet that got RT'd in my feed this morning, and asshole he is.) PDP is free marketing. Devs shower this fucker with keys in prayer that he covers it. So any game that shows up on his channel from here on.. If there's FTC verbiage in the description, it was provided by the dev. You HAVE to put it there, or say it in the vid, or you could be fined. I've had to do it with my own video reviews on my own channel.

And I wouldn't be surprised if PUBG didn't take action on this too. PDP streams this shit DAILY. I would have already banned him.

And as far as YouTube goes? We need to stop with this algorithm bullshit. Channels that do this need to be straight up deleted. People like Keemstar (and now PDP) need to just fucking go.

nah, you can tell by his face afterwards if you watch a couple minutes of the full video that he really regrets letting that one slip out on camera. dude's full on true colours came out and he can't hide behind the humor argument on this one.

he looks like me when i was a kid and had to walk home and tell my parents i was suspended from school lmao.

Yep, it's still wrong but come on. Let's not try to put an agenda over the main problem, his usage of the n-word to chastise someone in anger.

he was the guy who photoshopped away ellie when they had the last of us on their magazine cover

he was the guy who said he was tired of the lgbtq community "being loud and obnoxious in pride parades" and "shrieking about persecution" in pride parades (then when people pushed back against that he cried about not being able to criticize the lgbt community in pc sweden :()

This thread is making me mad and sad at the same time. Fucking ridiculous. Hope they dont give out coverage to that magazine anymore.

ua3pxfys76lz.jpg

"And why is that?" Fucking kidding me here? The whole it's just a word reply has been plastered everywhere someone is talking about what happened. It's like damn dude, you really going to be complacent about the usage of the N word. By Pewdiepie of all people? It's such a bummer that this shit is being normalized by a lot of people.

reKon

Banned

SMH, both of these are past unacceptable. Fuck him.

Alucrid

Banned
Yep, it's still wrong but come on. Let's not try to put an agenda over the main problem, his usage of the n-word to chastise someone in anger.

hmm i wouldn't say chastise, more like demean

he says that the internet is so fucked up you shouldn't give anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore. then whines about not being given the benefit of the doubt in regards to condemning racism.

Zolo

lol

he wants people to assume he's default anti-racist so he doesn't have to speak up about it and potentially piss off the racist side of his base and actually take a side for once.

Staying silent is taking a side, sorry dudes

That's the Trump approach.

I mean... do you guys really expect every Youtuber to weigh in on this? The vast majority don't even know PDP. Just because someone is silent on an issue doesn't mean they support it, maybe they just don't feel like it involves them at all. When athletes get in trouble for drugs or violence you don't see every other athlete come out and say something about it, does that mean they are all supporting physical assault?
There is absolutely no way in hell that you stream video games on Youtube without knowing who PDP is. Further, the industries are completely different. Gaming defends the actions of its figure, no matter how fucked, while the sports industry would be quick to respond to something like this. Imagine the fallout if Tom Brady came out and said FUCKING NIGGER on cam after losing a game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just like the sexual assault threads tbqf
Except these get banned
We would be happy to look at any posts you find objectionable. The ratio of posts-per-day-on-GAF to moderators is very high, so chances are we're just not seeing the posts you find problematic.

If you PM a moderator with links to the posts, I can assure you they will get looked at, even if you don't get a direct response back due to the PM volume we receive.

2017 and we still need to have at length conversations about not screaming "nigger", folks...

And the excuses and intellectual masturbation on this topic is just extra whip cream on the "Fuck you" sundae.

People forget there are Black gamers too and shit like this is just another reminder even in a place where your actual ethnicity should have no bearing on your participation and enjoyment in this hobby that you're straight up hated and reviled.

And please no more half baked bullshit about how it doesn't mean that in Europe. My eyes can only roll so far back in my head.

Well put.

FiveSide

Banned
Even as a fairly staunch freedom of speech advocate (more than the majority of my peers), I'd call this nonesense. People have a right to thier views, absolutely, and to hold and express free thought intervention from the state, but no-one else is under any obligation to even listen to those opinions, let alone regard them as valid, credible or of constructive value.

Insulting someone with a racial epithet is not protected by the First Amendment. It is "low" value speech, racist, insulting, and vicious, that has no place in any kind of productive political debate. The Free Speech clause isn't the government giving racists an unlimited license to call people an f'ing n-word.

EDIT: Oh, other big YouTubers are responding now. I'll watch the vids when I get back to the house, hopefully they're not more equivocating and "condoning with faint criticism"

It's possible, in fact, more likely than not, they can't successfully win out in a DMCA challenge of the video. And by they I mean the firewatch guys. Basically a contract was formed between the two parties, assuming PDP saw and actually relied on the statement saying it was okay to make the video on the website.

Warning: legal language being used ahead.

Because while normally contracts require an exchange of consideration to constitute a contract, there is the doctrine of promissory estoppel which can replace that requirement. This would likely fill any licensing/permission requirement imposed by the copyright laws.

ua3pxfys76lz.jpg

When you're Ian Miles Cheong and you haven't said something stupid on Twitter in 5 minutes

URRbZUQl.jpg

Pewds is racist because no sane/not racist person would say that even in frustration.
Tried, true and tested shouts of "fucker", "ass hole" etc are what regular people would say.

That word is in his vocabulary on the daily, the way he venomously spat out the word too tells me all I need to know.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a resurgence in use of the n-word, because there are more and more generations that just don't have the context and understanding as to why it's bad. They know it's a "bad" word, but the context may as well be ancient history, so it's no worse than saying "fuck" to them.

At best, it's just complete blind ignorance.

I'll tell you now, a lot of that gen is gonna have the ass whooping of their lives at some point in time.

Let them call any older person the n-word and fists will fly.
Anybody who called me that randomly would be pounded if they are 16+.

legacyzero

Banned
That Jim video is a bit of a disappointment. He's basically upset it affects his revenue.

He was very clear that it was a bad thing. Jim had to literally whip it up in less than a day. Give the guy some credit.

And just stop- Jim doesn't run ads on the Jimquisition. But his views on the PDP effect and the shitstorm that is the adpocolypse is very real, and important. It's crippled legitimate channels, especially gaming ones. Destiny 2 has been almost completely demonetized last I heard.

One major fuckwad fucking it up for everyone, and YT is panicking like Fox News. Youtube wouldn't have done shit about this until the Advertisers started packing their shit and leaving. Which was telling then, and going to be even more telling now if they dont take action.

This has had a very real effect on everyone on youtube. Very good channels, especially YT Media ones have been hard hit. So yeah, It's perfectly acceptable to complain about that when a shitlord affects your livlihood.

SomTervo

Totalbiscuit wants so badly to be a centrist, but now with recent events, he's finding it so hard to sit on the fence, much like Ethan from H3H3:

"I don't want to be on the alt-right and I don't want to be on the left, where it's never OK to say anything offensive. I make what I want, and sometimes my videos appeal to the alt-right, and sometimes they appeal to the social justice warrior left, or whatever you want to call it. I don't identify with either of them.

What you see in the comments is — what can you do, it's YouTube. You can't control who's there. It bothers me when I make a video making fun of feminists, then all the time I see all these alt-right comments, and it's like — I don't want to identify with them. I don't want to necessarily court these people ... It's just, what can you do? It's almost like you're suggesting that you have to choose a side, and that's something that I found really frustrating."

Ugh

Why did 'social justice warrior' become a thing

The internet was a mistake

That's what you got from the video? that one thing? from the entire video? when Jim specifically uses the word "racist"?

I only watched the half with PDP and yes, that's what I got from the video. He explicitly denounced the remark as well as racism, but I still found it light on social commentary. A large part of the PDP section was about how Felix' action affect Youtubers and the platform in general which I don't care about and which in my opinion is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom