• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation is having a stellar year so far. But what do Playstation fans think?

Rate Playstation 5's exclusive lineup in 2024

• A

Votes: 109 35.7%
  • B

Votes: 71 23.3%
  • C

Votes: 72 23.6%
  • D

Votes: 53 17.4%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Much was made about Sony's lack of first party releases in 2024 before the start of the year but Sony has turned to several third party developers to fill in the gap and they all seem to have mostly delivered.

Helldivers - Once in a generation viral hit.
FF7 Rebirth - 93 Metacritic
Rise of Ronin - 76 Metacritic - But much better received by players. 8.6 user metacritic compared to 6.3 for Dragons Dogma 2.
Stellar Blade - 83 Metacritic

And we are only 4 months in. I'd say they are quietly having a great year but helldivers and Stellar blade have made such a splash (for different reasons) that its hardly been quiet. Astrobot or some other first party game in the fall and they should have 5 fairly decent reviewed games for the year. Not bad.

As a fan of Sony first party games though, none of these games appeal to me. Well, aside from Rebirth which I bought day one, but couldnt hold my attention like Sony games do. However, credit where credit is due and Sony seems to have recognized that they needed games this year and games that diverge from their western portfolio. I honestly think they get a B for effort and recognizing their weaknesses. Ive given Jimbo a lot of shit over the years, but Jimbo did alright.

What say you Sony gaf?

tommib

It’s been great.

Ronin was excellent to the point I got the platinum. The FF16 DLC had some of the best graphics I’ve seen on the console. GT7 continues to deliver with updates. Helldivers 2 was spectacular and fresh for the 60 hours I put in it.

Waiting for Stellar Blade to unlock. Have no interest on Rebirth.

Rheon

Stellar Blade was a welcome surprise for me, played the demo not expecting much and was very impressed afterwards.

Will be buying the full game at some point.

10v12

Much, MUCH better than expected TBH. I don't see how it's not A, even if I didn't enjoy Rebirth as much as everyone else.

Rest of the year is looking bare, but definitely going to go down as a good year

Playstation is having a stellar year so far

Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

Last edited:

Bond007

I think its been great.
They have leveraged partnerships knowing very well that some of their bigger games are still in the oven. So now we get new stuff that will become the "big stuff" of tomorrow.
Too much has been made of lack of First Party games this year when we have stuff like Helldivers, Stellar Blade, Ronin etc. and its only April.

Schmendrick

General output gets a C-D from me. Besides HD2 nothing I´m interested in so far.
Well, maybe Stellar Blade turns out to be more than just a DMC variant.

Klayzer

I think its been great.
They have leveraged partnerships knowing very well that some of their bigger games are still in the oven. So now we get new stuff that will become the "big stuff" of tomorrow.
Too much has been made of lack of First Party games this year when we have stuff like Helldivers, Stellar Blade, Ronin etc. and its only April.
One could say, "Its been a Stellar year"..... I will see myself out now.

Mr Hyde

As long as Sony is giving me great games I don't care if they are first, second or third party. I have bought Rebirth but haven't played it and I got Stellar Blade on the way. Rise of the Ronin looks dope but I'll get it at sale and when it's a bit quieter with game releases. I don't have the time to play all of these games anyway. But I rate them a solid B. Sony does put in the effort making the PS5 an attractive console to own.

Reactions: Isa

Woopah

Really strong few months, with lots of multiplats and some well reviewed exclusives. Rest of the year isn't looking as strong currently.

Fbh

I think more than anything, this year has highlighted how I care more about these third/second party exclusives than what the actual first party Sony studios are making

NahaNago

It's a weird year. Like they have several great games released this year but at the same time it seems like a quiet year.

I'm thinking the issue is that we don't really have much of a hype cycle happening. Helldivers wasn't originally suppose to be this big thing. Stellar Blade has more drama than hype surrounding the game. The Ronin is just a solid game and FF7 is a combination of the game takes a while to beat and the last game didn't really create hype for the continuation. Even the Granblue game came and went.

Rockman33

I bought a PS5 for their big first party story driven games. So far none have been released or plan to be this year.

Only game I did buy was HD2 for PC. I had a great time with it for a couple weeks. For me personally it got stale relatively quickly.

C

Rise of the Ronin is my favorite game released since GOWR. 8.6 user metacritic is on point.

Concord and a new Astrobot should fill out the year nicely

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They bought and locked up 3 huge games. I think how you frame that depends entirely on your perspective. I think if MS did it, we'd hear nothing but how they deserve zero credit for it in any way, and Phil Spender is a joke who can't make anything on his own. But Sony does it and you see that people are okay giving them lots of credit. We know Stella Blade was announced previously multiplat and then changed, which is unprecedented. The anger around that would be catastrophic if it happened from MS. We know most of these would likely be on PC at the very least, but they're not yet.

Helldivers they get all the credit. They funded it for 10 years of development.

Either way, PS gamers have every reason to be happy. And PS has a long history of megaton 3rd party exclusives since the PS1. But the difference in narrative is so stark, especially when their 1st party is a question mark for 2024.
thats fair, but i think rise of ronin and FF7 had sony investments much like titanfall on the xbox one. without that cash, those games dont happen.

Stellar Blade wouldve happened regardless but who knows if it releases in a polished state without sonys involvement.

Reactions: Isa
Helldivers is practically first party, and its success does only surprise me in its extent but the predessecor was already fine af and like Magicka or Fat Princess deserved more love back then already.
The other games are not really my cup of tea entirely, good enough to be played, via Plus, some day, but nothing I will ever buy myself.
I also enjoyed Foamstars more than most I guess. It's chaotic but also sorta solid fun for some hours, and with some better art style and game designer could be turned into a nice actually quite unique shooter. As is, it is a mediocre game though.

Actual first party this year is rather dire nevertheless. They are kinda lucky that their third party gap fillers did not turn out like Forspoken or Deathloop and Ghostwire, probably much smaller successes than hoped, with Helldivers quite the opposite. But their whole near future plans are non public so far (it always feels like I should get excited about the one or two games we know are coming, but nothing beyond that is told) and the push for GaaS seem to have bound a lot a manpower moving ever longer dev times even more back.

The output in general seems fine, but the whole gen seems to be without hype, it just exists, with good games dropping every few months and marketing informs me timely, but there is just a weird feeling of not eagerly awaiting anything because trailers and state of plays are just not show enough to hype me up for an entire year like E3 stuff and proper showcases did.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
thats fair, but i think rise of ronin and FF7 had sony investments much like titanfall on the xbox one. without that cash, those games dont happen.

Stellar Blade wouldve happened regardless but who knows if it releases in a polished state without sonys involvement.
I know thats been said a lot but I think its pretty minimal. Wo Long still happened. Final Fantasy comes out polished with or without exclusivity. But who knows.

Radical_3d

The Sony I loved is dead and buried so a year with cinematic god of war and open world guerrilla game says nothing to me. A year with HD2 and FFVII? Aye, I could do that. Can’t rate it in April without knowing what is coming this holidays, tho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom