• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation is having a stellar year so far. But what do Playstation fans think?

Rate Playstation 5's exclusive lineup in 2024

• A

Votes: 109 35.7%
  • B

Votes: 71 23.3%
  • C

Votes: 72 23.6%
  • D

Votes: 53 17.4%

• Total voters
I feel that anyone who says that this first half of the year was mostly remakes/remasters is doing so in bad faith. Sure, we did get a high profile remake with Persona 3 Reload and several remasters with TLOU 2, OG Tomb Raider Trilogy and SW Battlefront 1&2, but other than that we got lots of new games (most of them being great), including new IPs, but also new entries in big franchises.

Jan
  • Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
  • Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy
  • Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
  • Tekken 8
  • Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Feb
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth
  • Helldivers 2
  • Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
  • Skull and Bones
  • Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
  • Balatro
March
  • Unicorn Overlord
  • The Outlast Trials
  • Alone in the Dark
  • MLB The Show 24
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • Rise of the Ronin
April
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
  • Tales of Kenzera: Zau
  • Stellar Blade
  • Sand Land
  • Top Spin 2k25
I didn't include the late ports from other platforms like Xbox & PC as the list will just get too long.

Skifi28

I'm out of time, money and space to install so I'd say it's been a pretty good year with back to back releases that haven't allowed me to take a breath. I couldn't care less if it's first or third party, great games are great games.

yurinka

I think Sony had a stunning first third of the year, with many things for many types of players:
  • TLOU2R: not needed, but the new game mode is cool, and having a remaster for new fans via tv show is great
  • Silent Hill The Short Message: cool short freebie even for peolpe who aren't horrow fans
  • Helldivers 2: super fun, maybe my goty and probably will be one of the most influential games of the generation
  • FF7 Rebirth: top tier PS1 nostalgia, great for JRPG fans
  • Granblue Fantasy Relink: great for JRPG fans
  • Rise of Ronin: I assume a lot of people will love it
  • Stellar Blade: Hack n Slash + Souls + beautiful women + great visuals = win
  • HFW PC: great for PC folks who didn't have a PS
  • GoT PC: gerat for PC folks who didn't have a PS
As usual Sony has a very strong catalog of 3rd party exclusives and 1st party stuff.

While Sony's first party won't release anything until 2026
As you see above Sony had many first party releases these first 4 months. And obviously will continue releasing way more stuuff, some announced and some to be announced later.

Sony never said anything similar to what you said. Totoki said that they didn't plan to this year any sequel of a top selling IP as in the previous years they had with Spider-Man 2 and GoWR. Meaning, no new TLOU/Uncharted/Spider-Man 2/GoW/Horizon/GT game to be released this year. Which has been compatible with releasing Helldivers 2 and pretty likely breake sales records for any first party game, or to maybe sell even more with Concord, or to have releases of not-that good selling games like Death Stranidng 2.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I may check out Rise of Ronin but probably not anything else.

But I’m fine just playing 1 game a year on console.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think Sony had a stunning first third of the year, with many things for many types of players:
  • GoT PC: gerat for PC folks who didn't have a PS
Decent game but it’s not out yet lol

Still yet to see if the port is good. That’ll be an early 2nd third of the year test.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
4 games. That's not a stellar year.
Sony is not known for having many games in January-April, it's usually one, two major titles at most.
And they still have Concord and that Until Dawn remake, plus Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria which was delayed from last year. And who knows what else that is unannounced at the moment, really.

Dont give a crap about helldivers.
ff7 rebirth was a disapointment
Rise of Ronin - not interested
Stellar Blade - Finally a good game.

4 games. That's not a stellar year. That's a mid month by previous or 360/ps3 gen standards
did you lose a bet or something?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I give it an A- . I was doubtful but the DF video on Stellar Blade has renewed my interest in the game. They really need to get folks who can showcase combat properly.

I love Helldivers 2, I'm highly anticipating a PC release of Rebirth but I'm not too keen on Rise of the Ronin. Can't win em all, but it's only April and I can appreciate quality games that feel complete for once.

With Ghost of Tsushima releasing on PC and my recent pick up of Horizon Forbidden West...I am very happy with Sony right now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
4 games. That's not a stellar year. That's a mid month by previous or 360/ps3 gen standards
Nah.

1. MGS4
  2. LBP
  3. Socom
  4. Resistance 2
  5. Motorstorm PR

1. KZ2
  2. Infamous
  3. Ratchet Clank in Time
  4. Uncharted 2

1. GT7
  2. Heavy Rain
  3. MAG
  4. GOW

1. KZ2
  2. Uncharted 3
  3. Resistance 3
  4. Infamous 2
  5. LBP2

1. Journey
  2. Starhawk
  3. Twisted Metal
  4. PS All Stars

4-5 first and second/third party exclusives per year is what the norm was back then. The only difference is that the majority of them were first party whereas now the majority are third or second party.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah.

1. MGS4
  2. LBP
  3. Socom
  4. Resistance 2
  5. Motorstorm PR

1. KZ2
  2. Infamous
  3. Ratchet Clank in Time
  4. Uncharted 2

1. GT7
  2. Heavy Rain
  3. MAG
  4. GOW

1. KZ2
  2. Uncharted 3
  3. Resistance 3
  4. Infamous 2
  5. LBP2

1. Journey
  2. Starhawk
  3. Twisted Metal
  4. PS All Stars

4-5 first and second/third party exclusives per year is what the norm was back then. The only difference is that the majority of them were first party whereas now the majority are third or second party.
hmm if you put it that way, yeah.
Maybe I am mixing all consoles and games from that years

As you see above Sony had many first party releases these first 4 months. And obviously will continue releasing way more stuuff, some announced and some to be announced later.

Sony never said anything similar to what you said. Totoki said that they didn't plan to this year any sequel of a top selling IP as in the previous years they had with Spider-Man 2 and GoWR. Meaning, no new TLOU/Uncharted/Spider-Man 2/GoW/Horizon/GT game to be released this year. Which has been compatible with releasing Helldivers 2 and pretty likely breake sales records for any first party game, or to maybe sell even more with Concord, or to have releases of not-that good selling games like Death Stranidng 2.
It is simply alarming that among Sony studios we have Naughty Dog, media molecula, Sucker punch, Bend studio, London studio (Dead) and the Asobi team who have not released or announced a game since 2020.

It's bad because they should at least release 2 games per generation but at this rate these studios will only be able to release one game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It is simply alarming that among Sony studios we have Naughty Dog, media molecula, Sucker punch, Bend studio, London studio (Dead) and the Asobi team who have not released or announced a game since 2020.

It's bad because they should at least release 2 games per generation but at this rate these studios will only be able to release one game.
Quoted for truth.

I voted C , there's really nothing much I'm interested on PlayStation , I think this is the worse generation of all Sony's consoles! everything is recycled, apart from Astro, Rachet&Clank and Spider-Man 2, nothing is memorable , I'm still waiting for the Uncharted kind of bang..
maybe the fact that I build a PC and I would rather play on there now...

Absolutely nothing of interest for me unfortunately. Demon's Souls was great, as was Ratchet & Clank.. After that, drought. Compared to every previous Playstation console, the PS5 has been a joke IMO.

Some good remasters and some truly disappointing first-party titles.

C for effort

havent played any of em, but not excited to either.
helldivers looks like it could be good, but removing couch coop is a huge negative for me.

yurinka

Quoted for truth.

Quoting for gaming flateartherism.

In this period these studios:
  • Released
    • TLOU2
    • TLOU part 1 remake PS5 + tv show
    • TLOU part 1 remake PC port
    • TLOU part 2 remaster
    • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PS5 + movie
    • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PC port
    • Dreams
    • Dreams post launch content and improvements (including Dreams VR)
    • GoT PS4
    • GoT Legends
    • GoT DC + PS5 SKU + Ikki Island expansion
    • GoT PC port (in a month)
    • Days Gone free post launch DLC
    • Days Gone PC port
    • Astro's Playroom
  • Suffered a pandemic with lockdowns that delayed their projects
  • Worked on a games that ended getting canned
    • TLOU Online
    • London Studio's new IP
On top of this, AAA games games nowadays take 5-9 years to be made, so even if only counting the releases of new games they didn't have to release the next games they are working on by the teams who released their games in 2019-2020. It's also worth mentioning that these and other teams have been growing, to the point of creating a second or even third game.

Nah.

1. MGS4
  2. LBP
  3. Socom
  4. Resistance 2
  5. Motorstorm PR

1. KZ2
  2. Infamous
  3. Ratchet Clank in Time
  4. Uncharted 2

1. GT7
  2. Heavy Rain
  3. MAG
  4. GOW

1. KZ2
  2. Uncharted 3
  3. Resistance 3
  4. Infamous 2
  5. LBP2

1. Journey
  2. Starhawk
  3. Twisted Metal
  4. PS All Stars

The difference with today is that back then games didn't take 5-9 years to be made as do now, and required way less people to be made than they require today.

To keep the same pace or even release more stuff than back then, they need more teams, and each team needs to be bigger. For that reason Jimbo and Hermen grew all their teams, created new teams in several studios, acquired more and spent a record amount in 2nd party games for this generation.

Last edited:
Quoting for gaming flateartherism.

In this period these studios:
  • Released
    • TLOU2
    • TLOU part 1 remake PS5 + tv show
    • TLOU part 1 remake PC port
    • TLOU part 2 remaster
    • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PS5 + movie
    • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PC port
    • Dreams
    • Dreams post launch content and improvements (including Dreams VR)
    • GoT PS4
    • GoT Legends
    • GoT DC + PS5 SKU + Ikki Island expansion
    • GoT PC port (in a month)
    • Days Gone free post launch DLC
    • Days Gone PC port
    • Astro's Playroom
  • Suffered a pandemic with lockdowns that delayed their projects
  • Worked on a games that ended getting canned
    • TLOU Online
    • London Studio's new IP
On top of this, AAA games games nowadays take 5-9 years to be made, so even if only counting the releases of new games they didn't have to release the next games they are working on by the teams who released their games in 2019-2020. It's also worth mentioning that these and other teams have been growing, to the point of creating a second or even third game.

The difference with today is that back then games didn't take 5-9 years to be made as do now, and required way less people to be made than they require today.

To keep the same pace or even release more stuff than back then, they need more teams, and each team needs to be bigger. For that reason Jimbo and Hermen grew all their teams, created new teams in several studios, acquired more and spent a record amount in 2nd party games for this generation.
Ports and new versions are great for new and future players but I guess what most players want are new games, hopefully these studios can release a game before 2026.

I've been shaking my head over playstation's in-house studios since mid-ps4. moments of brilliance, among a whole lot of reiteration. they've wandered too far off the path...

It's been an amazing year for me so far. I've loved every big game they've released so far with their partners this year.

FF7R, Helldivers 2, and Stellar Blade have delivered in big ways for me. It's only April but I've been eating so good that I can't even keep up. I haven't even played Granblue Fantasy yet.

Last edited:

Markio128

It’s been great so far, with FF7R being the highlight for me. I’ve yet to finish it though - chapter 12 (I think near the end).

Trust me, if you want to enjoy spending a decent amount of time gaming, do not buy a puppy, especially not a Border Collie. On the plus side, I’ve probably lost a stone in 4 months.

phant0m

Firing on all cylinders so far.

But I think the 2nd half of the year will be a bit softer for exclusives. (Will still have plenty to play though)

[Sigma]

All I want to know is who advised them to implement all these QR code requirements now so I can slap the shit of them.

Kerotan

I'm having a fantastic year but for none of the reasons you listed.

So far this year:

MGS2 - Platinum
MGS3 - Platinum
Bad company
Omno
Manhunt
Far Cry 2
Blood Dragon
TLOU2 remastered - Platinum
The warriors
COD MW3 PS3 DLC spec ops
Far cry 6 complete edition - Platinum
Force unleashed 2 - Platinum
Spiderman 2 NG+
Alan Wake 2 - Platinum
RDR2 - Platinum
Bully - Platinum
Resistance Retribution - Platinum
Watch Dogs Legion+ DLC - Platinum

Off to a good start and plenty of more to come.

yurinka

Ports and new versions are great for new and future players but I guess what most players want are new games
Yes, and this is why these teams released a new game in that period. Which is what is realistic for them to release in such range of time.

, hopefully these studios can release a game before 2026.

It isn't reasonable to expect all of them to release a new game before 2026. Most of them won't, because these teams pretty likely started to work in their new games in 2021 and AAA games nowadays take 5-9 years to be made. AAA game started in 2021 would mean to be released around 2026-3030 unless their next release is a shorter game, which I assume won't be the case.

I'd say only Team Asobi will release their next game before 2026 because I assume their next game won't be of a big AAA scale.

Last edited:

Neolombax

I'm a simple man. I still find reasons to play my PS5 everyday, its been a good year. Relink was amazing, FF7 Rebirth was a fun time. Most recently I've been playing Dave the Diver which was surprisingly addictive. PS plus have also been giving a lot of good old games that I haven't played. I'm happy.

Much was made about Sony's lack of first party releases in 2024 before the start of the year but Sony has turned to several third party developers to fill in the gap and they all seem to have mostly delivered.

Helldivers - Once in a generation viral hit.
FF7 Rebirth - 93 Metacritic
Rise of Ronin - 76 Metacritic - But much better received by players. 8.6 user metacritic compared to 6.3 for Dragons Dogma 2.
Stellar Blade - 83 Metacritic

And we are only 4 months in. I'd say they are quietly having a great year but helldivers and Stellar blade have made such a splash (for different reasons) that its hardly been quiet. Astrobot or some other first party game in the fall and they should have 5 fairly decent reviewed games for the year. Not bad.

As a fan of Sony first party games though, none of these games appeal to me. Well, aside from Rebirth which I bought day one, but couldnt hold my attention like Sony games do. However, credit where credit is due and Sony seems to have recognized that they needed games this year and games that diverge from their western portfolio. I honestly think they get a B for effort and recognizing their weaknesses. Ive given Jimbo a lot of shit over the years, but Jimbo did alright.

What say you Sony gaf?

Pretty excited. The first half was pretty incredible.

• FF7:R is like an Elden Ring title to me. You don't get games like this every year and I sunk 120+ hours into it.
  • Helldivers 2 actually managed to make me pick up a MP game again, after not touching one significantly for 5+ years. Amazing GaaS title that came out of nowhere.
  • Stellar Blade / Rise of the Ronin - Cult classics in the making.
Can't really complain. Most years we only get 1 decent title in the first half, but we have 3-4 of them, and 2 of which are arguably GOTY caliber (FF7R and HD2).

Second half of 2024 has some question marks, but if they introduce a nice AstroBot game this could be Sony's best year in terms of exclusives, even if not all of them are made from true first party studios. You gotta hand it to Sony that they make sure to sign deals with third parties and smaller unknown devs if they see a potential lapse in their first party lineup. This isn't easy to manage from a scheduling standpoint but they seem to always manage to get something of note each year.

I know thats been said a lot but I think its pretty minimal. Wo Long still happened. Final Fantasy comes out polished with or without exclusivity. But who knows.

That's a pretty big stretch to downplay Sony's significance in these titles - FF7 as an idea doesn't come out at all without Sony backing them to begin with, being able to build on Remake and into Rebirth. And Square was floundering big time before FF7:R put them on a better path. HD2 took 8 years to cultivate and Sony saw the concept and idea through to its complete form. There's a lot of support that Sony gives for their curated third party titles and mostly the quality shows through in what they are able to accomplish versus what they have done in the past. Even Rise of the Ronin is significantly expanded compare to prior games like Wo Long.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This year is not over yet!
metaphor-refantazio-ps5-box-art.large.jpg
shin-megami-tensei-v-vengeance-793109.10.jpg
elden_ring_shadow_erdtree_details.jpg

Top Bottom