• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation is having a stellar year so far. But what do Playstation fans think?

Rate Playstation 5's exclusive lineup in 2024

• A

Votes: 109 35.7%
  • B

Votes: 71 23.3%
  • C

Votes: 72 23.6%
  • D

Votes: 53 17.4%

• Total voters

Kokoloko85

Probably one of thete weakest 2 years when it comes to Playstation owned studios releasing games.

Luckily the games they released 1st-3rd party have been good. But I expect more from there big studios at this point.

I think its the first time we dont know what PS studio game is coming next. Normally we have an idea of what is coming next.

We only officially know about Wolverine from the PS studios and Death Stranding 2. No official dated

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
We only officially know about Wolverine from the PS studios and Death Stranding 2. No official dated
Not true, they have announced Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Concord, Until Dawn and Fairgame$ too. It's up to you if you care about any of these, but we will probably get that May showcase.

MayauMiao

2 of the 4 games mentioned are literally new IPs.

The 3rd game is Helldivers 2, which is very different than its predecessor and so, so fresh in its gameplay and approach.

0 out of 4 are remakes or remasters.

I checked out online multiplayer games like Helldivers 2 so I see only 3 on the list. Also with FF7R is coming to PC soon, so what I see are 2 exclusives left and I only care about Stellar Blade.

So a C at this point IMO, better than what I give to Xbox which would be an F.

GHG

I know thats been said a lot but I think its pretty minimal. Wo Long still happened. Final Fantasy comes out polished with or without exclusivity. But who knows.

How do you know?

Why are you finding it so difficult to judge what's been put in front of you for what it is?

KiteGr

I'll be jumping ship after the plus increase so I waighted down the pros and cons.

The best games eventually reach PC, so I won't be missing the God of Wars and Horizons.
The Final Fantasies also eventually reach PC so I wouldn't be missing those eather.
Stellar Blade has me woried as it's a game that I want to play with no PC port in the horizon.

The rest are games that I'll prefferably be getting on the PC in order to decensore them.

As for the PS5, there where very few exclusives that I would consider system sellers for me. Most of the high profile tittles are essentially upscaled PS4 games, and no tittle comes to mind when I think of some exclusive I'm missing.

Kokoloko85

Not true, they have announced Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Concord, Until Dawn and Fairgame$ too. It's up to you if you care about any of these, but we will probably get that May showcase.
Theres no official release dates for Concord or Fairgames. Im hoping we still get Concord by the end of the year.

The rest arent games from Playstation studios owned by PS/Sony from what I believe? Im talking about the 18+ studios owned by Sony. I expect more from them, its up to people if they want to be satisfied with there weakest lineup in decades With no official release dates.

Before PS5 was released we knew about Spiderman MM, God Ragnarok, GT7, Horizon, AllStars, Ratchet and Clank. As well as Demons Souls and Returnal whom PS bought the studios shortly after release.

Currently we know about Wolverine, Concord, Fairgame and Marathon(not exclusive). The rest of the games in works by PS studios that are owned by Sony we have no official news about there games.

Its pretty bleak coming to the 4th year and only knowing about 1 official single player game From the 20 Studios Sony owns ( Wolverine ). I hope the May/June showcase brings a bunch of new games from the PS studios owned by Playstation.

Kokoloko85

I'll be jumping ship after the plus increase so I waighted down the pros and cons.

The best games eventually reach PC, so I won't be missing the God of Wars and Horizons.
The Final Fantasies also eventually reach PC so I wouldn't be missing those eather.
Stellar Blade has me woried as it's a game that I want to play with no PC port in the horizon.

The rest are games that I'll prefferably be getting on the PC in order to decensore them.

As for the PS5, there where very few exclusives that I would consider system sellers for me. Most of the high profile tittles are essentially upscaled PS4 games, and no tittle comes to mind when I think of some exclusive I'm missing.

Personally Id rather not wait for titles like God of War, Returnal, Horizon, GT, Naughty Dog games, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Demons Souls, Wolverine etc. Or the Final Fantasy games

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its irrelevant how/where the tentpole product is sourced; its all about having a steady cadence of releases that keep a platform vital and engaging.

Its perfectly acceptable to have a lull in first-party output if third-parties are taking up the slack, in fact its actually a positive because it shows portfolio management is working as intended.

When there are no key first party and third party titles for an extended period then conversely it shows a massive failure of planning.

nial

Gold Member
The rest arent games from Playstation studios owned by PS/Sony from what I believe?
You mentioned Death Stranding 2, so I thought it wouldn't be an issue?
Im talking about the 18+ studios owned by Sony.
You need to be real, they're 15, and 9 of them have already either released or announced an original PS5 project. You're only lacking Team Asobi, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Bend Studio, Media Molecule and Bluepoint, and half of these should be announcing their games soon.
You need to accept that externally-developed games are not going to stop, and they will be used to have a MUCH more robust release schedule. That's how Sony has always operated.

It's kinda fucking crazy how Sony spent billions on Bungie to help advise their GaaS efforts, then Bungie shits the bed financially and Arrowhead comes out of nowhere to clean up with one of the best Live Service games ever created.

Helldivers 2 is a mega hit and is still growing. Sony should wheel a huge skip full of money into their offices and give them whatever they need to build out their continued support for the game.

Meanwhile, shit Bungie should get sold off to the corpse of Embracer group. At least then they'll be in worthy company.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Only one game on the list I’d like to try and it’s Helldivers. The rest looks mid and completely uninteresting to me.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's kinda fucking crazy how Sony spent billions on Bungie to help advise their GaaS efforts, then Bungie shits the bed financially and Arrowhead comes out of nowhere to clean up with one of the best Live Service games ever created.

Helldivers 2 is a mega hit and is still growing. Sony should wheel a huge skip full of money into their offices and give them whatever they need to build out their continued support for the game.

Meanwhile, shit Bungie should get sold off to the corpse of Embracer group. At least then they'll be in worthy company.
Remember prior to the May 2023 PS Showcase when Bungie reviewed all in-development live-service games?

It was around that time that TLOU 2 got canned, Concord was approved with glowing reviews so much so that Sony bought them, and Deviation's game was also canned?

Helldivers 2 also passed that test.

For all we know, Bungie may very well have assisted Helldivers 2 with their consultancy and ideas that (partially) led them to its success.

With Sony's projects, there are a lot of moving parts. We don't know if Bungie helped with HD2 or not. But it's likely they did. And HD 2's success likely depends on a lot of things beyond just Arrowhead - xDev, Bungie, Sony's upper management.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Only one game on the list I’d like to try and it’s Helldivers. The rest looks mid and completely uninteresting to me.
dh1xvx9-7e9b48ee-0b4b-4932-924c-143c8874a3e7.gif

This looks uninteresting to you? 😛

images

Kokoloko85

You mentioned Death Stranding 2, so I thought it wouldn't be an issue?
Some people like to count it as a PS studio game because they use Guerilla Engine. I mostly mean PS studios who are owned by Sony.

You need to be real, they're 15, and 9 of them have already either released or announced an original PS5 project. You're only lacking Team Asobi, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Bend Studio, Media Molecule and Bluepoint, and half of these should be announcing their games soon.
Regardless, it’s a slow generation. Asobi released a demo in 2020, its been 4 years+. Same as Bluepoint, they made Demons Souls in 2 years. I know they have been busy helping Santa Monica, but I see that as a mismanagement, they should of been making a game instead. They could of released 2 by now.
Are they gonna announce games and then release them in 6 months or wait another 2 years making it 6+ years for alot of the games from these studios. Im sure we’ll see an announcement soon but its taken forever

You need to accept that externally-developed games are not going to stop, and they will be used to have a MUCH more robust release schedule. That's how Sony has always operated.

I never asked for them to stop?
I just want the PS studios owned by Sony to be managed better, like how Insomniac has been managed and releasing games. Theres never been such a lack of announcements in there history for PS owned studios studios. If your happy with it, good for you. Im not.

Last edited:

yurinka

I just want the PS studios owned by Sony to be managed better, like how Insomniac has been managed and releasing games.
It had nothing to do with being "better managed".

Insomniac releases games more frequently than the rest because they always had 3-4 development teams working in different games working at the same time since generations ago, while most of the other PS Studios owned stdios only had a single development team in previous generations.

The Insomniac games aren't released faster, they take the same time to be developed than the other ones. They simply had more teams.

In recent years, during the Hermen + Jimbo era, SIE grew all their internal teams, so now studios like ND, SSM, Polyphony or Guerrilla (plus Bungie or Firesprite, who already were before being acquired even if back then were smaller) are working on multiple games at the same time.

But AAA games nowadays take around 5-9 years to be released, so these new teams created a year or a handful years ago still need time to release their games.

Some people like to count it as a PS studio game because they use Guerilla Engine. I mostly mean PS studios who are owned by Sony.
Death Stranding, like Helldivers 2, is a first party PS Studios game because these games are published by the first party publishing label PS Studios.

Sony doesn't own Kojipro or Arrowhead, which means these 1st party games are 2nd party games.

Remember prior to the May 2023 PS Showcase when Bungie reviewed all in-development live-service games?
According to Sony this is fake news, Bungie doesn't review (so even less kills) live services games.

The Sony Live Services Center of Excellence reviews and supports/assists the live service specific areas (not the whole game) of all the SIE in-development live-services games.

The Sony Live Services Center of Excellence is a team that combines the experts in different live-services specific areas from:
  • SIE publishing
  • PS Studios live service hub team
  • PS Studios tech & services team
  • PS Studios gamedev studios
  • Bungie
0026.jpg

We don't know if Bungie helped with HD2 or not.
We know Sony Live Services Center of Excellence reviews and assists all SIE GaaS since last year, so this includes Destiny 2, GT7, MLB, Helldivers 2, Concord, Marathon, Horizon Online, Fairgame$, etc.

We know part of Sony Live Services Center of Excellence are Bungie experts, but not the whole team. In the specific case of Helldivers 2 we know Sony experts did help Helldivers 2 when they were struggling with the servers, but we don't know if they were from Bungie or not.

We also know that as happens in basically all AAA games, the lead gamedev studio (in this case Arrowhead) only represents around 10% of the people who works in the gaame/appears in the game credits.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
That makes absolutely no sense, and I've never heard of such thing. It's a PS Studios game regardless of the engine it's using.
Same as Bluepoint, they made Demons Souls in 2 years. I know they have been busy helping Santa Monica, but I see that as a mismanagement, they should of been making a game instead. They could of released 2 by now.
Demon's Souls 2020 was mainly developed by WWS Japan Studio Internal Development Department if you actually looked at the credits. Bluepoint's role on that game wasn't that different to that of God of War Ragnarok, so them being able to somehow make two games, with few actual developers on their team until now, is pure delusion.
We do know that they're making an original project, but that was always going to take a lot of time.
Are they gonna announce games and then release them in 6 months or wait another 2 years making it 6+ years for alot of the games from these studios.
Yes? That's how it's been for years now.
I never asked for them to stop?
I just want the PS studios owned by Sony to be managed better, like how Insomniac has been managed and releasing games. Theres never been such a lack of announcements in there history for PS owned studios studios.
If you're fully aware that they're not going to announce anything until it's close to release, how can you blame bad management instead? Heck, the worst example is probably Naughty Dog, and either way, their situation could be FAR worse.

aclar00

Been meh for me...i played RE4 in VR but nothing else i have is 2024. Have Wong Long and Scarlet Nexus to try to get into i guess...

Cancelled my PS+ sub this year, so there's that.

Not quite sure i want to spend $70 on Stellar Blade either. Didnt play the first half FFVII Remake so second half doesnt currently interest me and 16 left a fucking sour taste in my mouth too...

so all in all a C, but more like a D

Kokoloko85

It had nothing to do with being "better managed".

Insomniac releases games more frequently than the rest because they always had 3-4 development teams working in different games working at the same time since generations ago, while most of the other PS Studios owned stdios only had a single development team in previous generations.

The Insomniac games aren't released faster, they take the same time to be developed than the other ones. They simply had more teams.
However they are managing Insomniac, they should be doing the same with the other Studios. More Teams like you said etc. This is something that should of been prepared way before the PS5 generation started. Now is fine and dandy, but it should of been done years before PS5 because they knew the state of AAA gaming and it resources it needs.

In recent years, during the Hermen + Jimbo era, SIE grew all their internal teams, so now studios like ND, SSM, Polyphony or Guerrilla (plus Bungie or Firesprite, who already were before being acquired even if back then were smaller) are working on multiple games at the same time.

But AAA games nowadays take around 5-9 years to be released, so these new teams created a year or a handful years ago still need time to release their games.
Ill have to see it first to believe it. So far only Insomniac’s multiple teams are releasing games every 2 or so.

We’ll see when the next few games from each studio gets released and then can judge how there management is going. As of now, its 4+ years for alot of these studios without an official word/image for there next games. Fingers crossed this summer

Death Stranding, like Helldivers 2, is a first party PS Studios game because these games are published by the first party publishing label PS Studios.

Sony doesn't own Kojipro or Arrowhead, which means these 1st party games are 2nd party games.
When I talk about lack of news/games, I mostly means the studios owned by Sony. I want some more games from them, especially single player games

Kokoloko85

That makes absolutely no sense, and I've never heard of such thing. It's a PS Studios game regardless of the engine it's using.
Ok. When I talk about lack of news/official release dates Im talking about games created by PS studios owned by Sony. Kojima isn’t owned by PS Studio. Studios like Naughty Dog, SuckerPunch, Bluepoint. Those are owned by Sony and they are directly in charge of with management with those studios.

Demon's Souls 2020 was mainly developed by WWS Japan Studio Internal Development Department if you actually looked at the credits. Bluepoint's role on that game wasn't that different to that of God of War Ragnarok, so them being able to somehow make two games, with few actual developers on their team until now, is pure delusion.
We do know that they're making an original project, but that was always going to take a lot of time.
The same team that made Demons Souls, Bluepoint + Japan Studios. Could of probably produced 1 game and had another coming out soon by now. Demons Souls is one of the best looking games. I dont think another remake game from them would of taken much longer (2 years) Again if your happy you’ve had no News or a new game made from them, good for you. I would of liked more from alot of these studios

If you're fully aware that they're not going to announce anything until it's close to release, how can you blame bad management instead? Heck, the worst example is probably Naughty Dog, and either way, their situation could be FAR worse.
Because I dont buy into that for all there games. They announced Wolverine and Spiderman 2 way before they were released, which is fine by me, knowing stuff is coming out for the future was always a good thing for me.
Id rather have a game to look forward with Naughty Dog, than whatever mistakes that have led to nothing currently from them. If you are happy with the lack of news and games from these studios good for you.

yurinka

However they are managing Insomniac, they should be doing the same with the other Studios. More Teams like you said etc. This is something that should of been prepared way before the PS5 generation started. Now is fine and dandy, but it should of been done years before PS5 because they knew the state of AAA gaming and it resources it needs.

Ill have to see it first to believe it.
It is official that ND was working on TLOU Online, minimum 2 new SP games plus the remasters stuff (+ overviewing ports & non-gaming stuff). It's also official that Guerrilla was working on Forbidden Shores, CoM, Horizon 3 and Horizon Online at the same time (+overviewing ports). It's official that SSM was working in GoWR/next GoW set in a new mythology plus another team was with Valhalla and -this is unconfirmed- a new IP by Cory Barlog (+ someone to overview ports). It is official that Polyphony has a team to support the current game while other one is making the next one. And who knows if a third for stuff like VR.

We also know Bungie is now twice as big as they were when the acquisition was announced, and it's also official that they made a record investment for 2nd party and that they grew their XDEV teams, at least the Japanese one to work in more games than ever before.

So far only Insomniac’s multiple teams are releasing games every 2 or so.
Yes, for the reason I mentioned, the new teams need time.

And well, these studios also releaased dlcs, remasters/remakes, ports, adaptations of their games, even if in most cases they barely only overviewed stuff.

As of now, its 4+ years for alot of these studios without an official word/image for there next games. Fingers crossed this summer
Their recent 1st party releases:
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2: 5 years
  • Helldivers 2: 8 years
  • Rise of the Ronin: 9 years
  • Stellar Blade: minimum 5 years (was first shown in 2019, we don't know when it did start)
As I mentioned, around 5-9 years. With a few exceptions with teasers, in recent years Sony focused their marketing in games planned to be released on maximum the next year and and a half, mostly in the next few months.

So we should expect to see this more of Until Dawn, Concord, Death Stranding 2, Marathon and who knows if Fairgame$. Regarding game announcements, I think the most likely first party games to be announced would be new Team Asobi game, Horizon Online, Venom, Cory's new IP (in case it exists). I think it's unlikekly, but I think we could get the surprise announcements of Bungie's Matter, Firesprite's horror game, (if it ever existed and isn't cancelled) People Can Fly's 2nd party game.

I think there are 0% chances of seeing Bend's new IP, next GoW, next ND game, next Housemarque game because they are too far from release since they started their development relatively recently.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Ok. When I talk about lack of news/official release dates Im talking about games created by PS studios owned by Sony. Kojima isn’t owned by PS Studio. Studios like Naughty Dog, SuckerPunch, Bluepoint. Those are owned by Sony and they are directly in charge of with management with those studios.
Again, you mentioned Death Stranding 2 in the first place, I don't understand why you suddenly changed the conversation.
The same team that made Demons Souls, Bluepoint + Japan Studios. Could of probably produced 1 game and had another coming out soon by now.
You mean Japan Studio Internal Development Department? Oh wait, they are. They're now called Team Asobi and they're making a new Astro Bot, no need to have Bluepoint there.
As I said, they didn't have many developers until now, and are making an original project. That will obviously take a lot of time, the issue is that people were expecting TOO much for Bluepoint.
Id rather have a game to look forward with Naughty Dog, than whatever mistakes that have led to nothing currently from them. If you are happy with the lack of news and games from these studios good for you.
I'm indifferent to it, the thing is that I'm fine with waiting a bit more for new announcements with SIE publishing being generally strong this year.

Kokoloko85

Again, you mentioned Death Stranding 2 in the first place, I don't understand why you suddenly changed the conversation.
TBH I cant remember, I probably mentioned them meaning they arent a PS studio but there game is counted as a PS studio game.
You mean Japan Studio Internal Development Department? Oh wait, they are. They're now called Team Asobi and they're making a new Astro Bot, no need to have Bluepoint there.
As I said, they didn't have many developers until now, and are making an original project. That will obviously take a lot of time, the issue is that people were expecting TOO much for Bluepoint.
I mean we havent seen an official announcement for it a new Astrobot. I think alot of former Japan Studios who worked on Demons Souls Remake didn’t all join Asobi or for long anyway. Some went freelance just like the Demons Souls Remake Creative Director Gavin Moore. I would of liked the same staff as Demons Souls to go on to make another Remake in this time. And Asobi worked on whatever they are working on currently (which is hopefully a new Astrobot )

I'm indifferent to it, the thing is that I'm fine with waiting a bit more for new announcements with SIE publishing being generally strong this year.
I want more tbh, they are amongst my favourite studios, especially ND, Bluepoint, HouseMarque and Sucker Punch

yurinka

You already forgot it was cancelled?
Yes, my bad. I meant Horizon Online: under development since 2018, when they hired back the Killzone 2 MP/Rainbow 6 Siege director to work on it, I assume they'll announce it this or next year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom