• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I paired a BT wireless headset with the system no problem at all (just like PS3 setup) and used it to talk to my friend on his Vita (across the country) through Party while we played different games. Pretty awesome, if you ask me.

Also, my unboxing got 33,000 views on YouTube overnight >.>; Jeez, thanks for all the support that came from GAF.

BEAUTIFUL

CrankyJay

Banned
I guess I shouldn't have quoted your entire post for clarity purposes. I was responding to the bottom portion. You were specifically discussing the LG 55" being shown at the upcoming CES - and the implication seemed to be that even that model would be commercially viable. I wouldn't be surprised if that is not the case. Where they may or may not be in 2-3 years wasn't what I was talking about.

As for PANL stock though, the OLED TV market really doesn't factor into it tbh. Basically it's only extra upside. Even if the TV market never materializes, I still think there's plenty of growth available - more phones, tablets, monitors, lighting, etc.

Are you honestly trying to argue I don't know much about the CE industry ... particularly display technology? Seriously son? ;)

Just wondering why you don't text me with this shit instead of trying to sound smart on a forum, son. ;)

To stay on topic...does the Vita has a pentile display?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Initial setup is a bit clunky. It starts to run you through things, but then says an update is needed. But doesn't let you update without completing setup so you get a bit stuck.

Also ignored my Vodafone sim, so 3g seems wasted for importers :/

Raistlin

Just wondering why you don't text me with this shit instead of trying to sound smart on a forum, son.
I didn't realize your original post was a text to me, dad. And since when is attempting accuracy trying to 'sound smart on a forum'? What are you going on about?

Also - the Sabres suck. WTF was that shit?

Dragon

Banned
Initial setup is a bit clunky. It starts to run you through things, but then says an update is needed. But doesn't let you update without completing setup so you get a bit stuck.

Yeah everyone I've seen/heard has remarked on this. Seems really counter-intuitive.

patsu

Andriasang mentioned that the Japan 3G units are locked to Docomo. They mentioned something about unlocking them later, post launch. You'll have to look up the article. Am on iPhone now.

Can someone do a stress test and tell me how much damage the Vita can take before cracking?

Start by dropping it at chest level, and then try to climb some stairs until it breaks.

Thanks

Can someone do a stress test and tell me how much damage the Vita can take before cracking?

Start by dropping it at chest level, and then try to climb some stairs until it breaks.

Thanks

Minor cracks on screen after dropping at chest level.

I dropped it once after climbing every 5 steps, it succumbed at around step 15.

You owe me a new Vita.

tzare

I paired a BT wireless headset with the system no problem at all (just like PS3 setup) and used it to talk to my friend on his Vita (across the country) through Party while we played different games. Pretty awesome, if you ask me.

Also, my unboxing got 33,000 views on YouTube overnight >.>; Jeez, thanks for all the support that came from GAF.

Nice. How was voIP quality? Did your friend talk using vita's mic? And listen via speakers? Is it difficult to listen to voice chat due to ingame audio?

Nice. How was voIP quality? Did your friend talk using vita's mic? And listen via speakers? Is it difficult to listen to voice chat due to ingame audio?

Quality was fine. We both used BT headsets so I'm not sure of the quality using Vita's mic and speakers --- will try it out today. It isn't too difficult to listen to voice chat -- there are also some "priority" features in there for chatting but I haven't tried to see exactly what they do yet.

Also, new video coming up in ten minutes of PSN integration, twitter integration, Bluetooth, and Party.

EDIT: Here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqZPBCFJY0

linko9

Somehow I never knew what the japanese launch lineup was until I saw this thread. That's really, really good. Like, maybe the best launch lineup of any system I can recall. There are 5 or 6 games that I would consider picking up out of that list.

tzare

Quality was fine. We both used BT headsets so I'm not sure of the quality using Vita's mic and speakers --- will try it out today. It isn't too difficult to listen to voice chat -- there are also some "priority" features in there for chatting but I haven't tried to see exactly what they do yet.

Also, new video coming up in ten minutes of PSN integration, twitter integration, Bluetooth, and Party.

Thanks. Nice vids :)

ReaperXL7

has there been any offical confirmation, or dismissal of Vita being compatible with Skype. Kept trying to ask in the live stream vid last night but never got an answer. I can't seem to find any info on this around the net either, of course I could just be missing it somewhere.

If I missed this somewhere in the thread I apologize.

jiggle

watching 2222's utube vids
wow the PS3 trophy list loads so much faster on vita @.@
soooooo much faster

edit: hate how screen protector affects the physical look of the unit
yet it's so essential :/

has there been any offical confirmation, or dismissal of Vita being compatible with Skype. Kept trying to ask in the live stream vid last night but never got an answer. I can't seem to find any info on this around the net either, of course I could just be missing it somewhere.

If I missed this somewhere in the thread I apologize.

I don't think there has been official word. Skype is notorious for taking forrrrreeevvveerrrr to release their apps, though.

ReaperXL7

I don't think there has been official word. Skype is notorious for taking forrrrreeevvveerrrr to release their apps, though.

Yeah tell me about it, I was just hoping there was atleast something on this as it would be one less thing I have to carry around. Well I'm still strongly debating on getting one at NA launch or waiting on the colored versions being released in Japan (really want the blue one). So hopefully by then this will have an actual answer. Although dident MS buy skype not too long ago? Wonder if that would have an impact on using it with the Vita.

*Edit* ahh thanks alot Takao, like I said I figured I was missing it somewhere. Thats great information to have.

UghHGHGHG

OK, so I've been hating on the PSV because I am not fond of the games, either they are IPs I can play on PS3 or they just dont look interesting, save for 1 or 2 of them, but the device itself is so FINE.

I am still committed to a 3DS, for the Ninty exclusives and whatever else comes my way. But I really am going to kick myself if I see anymore games like Gravity Rush release.

Must...resist...urge!

Furoba

Never had a PSP so which games should I really get? Got Suikoden I&II the other day.

Is Metal Slug Collection any good?

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Anyone trying out Near? It keeps on telling me that i can't find gaming goods as i am not sharing my Id, when in the settings i have set it to share my ID.

jcm

UghHGHGHG

OK, so I've been hating on the PSV because I am not fond of the games, either they are IPs I can play on PS3 or they just dont look interesting, save for 1 or 2 of them, but the device itself is so FINE.

I am still committed to a 3DS, for the Ninty exclusives and whatever else comes my way. But I really am going to kick myself if I see anymore games like Gravity Rush release.

Must...resist...urge!

It's a game machine, not a wife. You don't have to commit to just one.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
UghHGHGHG

Must...resist...urge!

Just buy the system. I have bought enough of them to realize that

1) the cost of the system is generally dwarfed by the money you spend on games anyway. So you may as well just buy the system and be done with it.
2) Game systems last half a decade or so, and there is no faster model going to come out next year, or the year after that. The cost per year or entertainment is generally a nominal sum, even if you buy one at launch.

VanWinkle

watching 2222's utube vids
wow the PS3 trophy list loads so much faster on vita @.@
soooooo much faster

edit: hate how screen protector affects the physical look of the unit
yet it's so essential :/

Is it essential though? I assumed the front of the Vita was glass. It's not plastic is it?

Jeels

Thanks for these vids btw, I have subscribed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom