• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great OT.

awful title. not even funny. :\

I'm not really understanding why OP's need to create these thread titles either, do they think it's just hilariously edgy or is it some kind of meme I missed? I've seen the alreadydead.gif but come on, shits getting real old now.

wotta

I think the OP has given a unnecessarily negative feel to the thread by using this title. I know it's probably a joke, but people who don't know that may get the wrong idea. I think it would be best removed as otherwise its a fantastic thread.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think the OP has given a unnecessarily negative feel to the thread by using this title. I know it's probably a joke, but people who don't know that may get the wrong idea. I think it would be best removed as otherwise its a fantastic thread.
Reading the OT, and the first page, I though the Vita preordes are an all time low in Japan, or something along those lines. Which for all I know may still be the case.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Isn't it a play on Takao's old avatar? The newspaper etc?

I guess a lot of people aren't getting that...

theBishop

Banned
I really think the online features of Vita will be the game-changer. PSP got there first, but dropped the ball (i.e. ad-hoc only) on so many crucial games.

Vita will be the first fully-online handheld system, and that is unprecedented. Even smartphone games typically don't have robust online features.

Apath

How would people not understand it's a joke? It's one of the most overused memes on here, and Takao is a pretty big supporter and defender of the Vita. Unless you're new to GAF or just hate the "YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD" thing, I'm not sure how you could misinterpret it.

KAL2006

Banned
I really think the online features of Vita will be the game-changer. PSP got there first, but dropped the ball (i.e. ad-hoc only) on so many crucial games.

Vita will be the first fully-online handheld system, and that is unprecedented. Even smartphone games typically don't have robust online features.

Online gaming is big, but I don't think it will be as big as it is on consoles, as finding a WiFi hotspot on the go to play a online game will be hard to find. However WiFi play playing the Vita in bed at home will be great for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

does it have any features that aid notifications when not being used? e.g. a flashing LED when someone sends you a message/request to join a game?

A GAFmeme that's not that funny anymore. A negative title like this will always spoil sincere attempts at discussion. Just look at what's happening now: we're now discussing the title instead of the topic.
I'm a huge supporter of the Vita and I think the thread title is appropriately sarcastic and kind of funny.

Anyway, just reading through the OP about the OS features just makes me even more excited for this system. The Vita is doing so many amazingly cool things for a handheld.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
does it have any features that aid notifications when not being used? e.g. a flashing LED when someone sends you a message/request to join a game?

I think I read a long time ago that the PS button flashes or lights up when there's a notification.

I haven't read that again in a long time though so take with a grain of salt until you get proper confirmation :p

patsu

Talk to a mod or Takao. We can't do anything.

btkadams

Reading the OT, and the first page, I though the Vita preordes are an all time low in Japan, or something along those lines. Which for all I know may still be the case.

this doesn't even make sense. also, didn't japan's initial preorder's completely sell out within hours in october? they opened more preorders in november but i don't know what happened with them.

Carl

Online gaming is big, but I don't think it will be as big as it is on consoles, as finding a WiFi hotspot on the go to play a online game will be hard to find.

Huh? I live in a tiny shitty little town and most cafes have free wifi networks...

Takao

Banned
The thread title, and the chalkboard OP menu is meant as a joke. Vita's pre-birth life has been a roller coaster, and I've been there since before day 1. I remember E3 last year, where Nintendo was naming game after game coming to 3DS - Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear, etc. It was insane. It was difficult to even imagine that Sony was going to announce a second handheld platform. Heck, if you go back, there were people doubting if Sony was even going to bother with a next gen handheld, or just continue on trucking with PSP. But in January, they announced something. It was the NGP, and it had so much promise, but a suspicious lack of third party titles outside of demos. Then the 3DS struggled early on. People started citing the death of the traditional handheld, and that NGP would just be another casualty. Come E3 2011, Sony drops the $249 bomb. Hopes for the Vita soar higher than ever before. I legitimately thought Sony had a chance at dethroning Nintendo at least in Japan. But then came July. Nintendo slashes the 3DS's price by $80. Nintendo follows that up with Monster Hunter, and an onslaught of titles from almost every major Japanese franchise not to mention the biggest name in gaming. I was banned then, but as someone who's most valued platform is the PSP, it didn't feel good. Nintendo went for the kill, and it seems Sony has nothing to counter with. This is the life of the PlayStation Vita. An up and down roller coaster. I hope this ride ends on the up, but I fear it'll only get worse. Maybe I shouldn't be expecting the worst, but at the very least, if I do, and somehow Vita is a huge success it'll be the biggest shock I've had in a long while.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit, that GUI from E3 is what they're using? Really? Just give me the option to buy/download an XMB theme/reskin of the GUI Sony, I don't give two fucks about the touch-screen and the XMB is completely fine for me.

Kuran

Banned
Holy shit, that GUI from E3 is what they're using? Really? Just give me the option to buy/download an XMB theme/reskin of the GUI Sony, I don't give two fucks about the touch-screen and the XMB is completely fine for me.

My understanding was that the current GUI is completely controllable using the d-pad/sticks?

Lothars

Nintendo went for the kill, and it seems Sony has nothing to counter with. This is the life of the PlayStation Vita. An up and down roller coaster. I hope this ride ends on the up, but I fear it'll only get worse. Maybe I shouldn't be expecting the worst, but at the very least, if I do, and somehow Vita is a huge success it'll be the biggest shock I've had in a long while.
I don't think Nintendo went for the kill, I think all Nintendo did is go for the health of thier platform because they released a platform that was extremely overpriced with very little good games than released the occasional great game but until this fall they didn't really have anything going, Will the 3DS keep it up? I don't know but they needed to release Mario Kart and Mario Land if they wanted it to do well this holiday season which is a great thing, I am not excited for the games next year for the 3DS but that doesn't mean there won't be any surprises or games that I end up getting.

The next thing is will the Vita do well? I think it will but will take a bit for it to get going just like the 3DS but already the games announced for it gives me hope, I would love some great rpg's but I am still dissapointed in the 3DS even though I own one and I am super pumped for the Vita and I will buy one if not at launch soon after.

patsu

XMB graphics theme (to make Vita UI use XMB icons, fonts and colors) should be possible.

But the current Vita UI cannot be done on XMB "as is". There are too many layers for it to work well. It'd be like using dual sticks to control the web browser.

ymmv

Banned
The thread title, and the chalkboard OP menu is meant as a joke. ( ... ) I legitimately thought Sony had a chance at dethroning Nintendo at least in Japan. But then came July. Nintendo slashes the 3DS's price by $80. Nintendo follows that up with Monster Hunter, and an onslaught of titles from almost every major Japanese franchise not to mention the biggest name in gaming. I was banned then, but as someone who's most valued platform is the PSP, it didn't feel good. Nintendo went for the kill, and it seems Sony has nothing to counter with. This is the life of the PlayStation Vita. An up and down roller coaster. I hope this ride ends on the up, but I fear it'll only get worse. Maybe I shouldn't be expecting the worst, but at the very least, if I do, and somehow Vita is a huge success it'll be the biggest shock I've had in a long while.

If you're such a big PSP fan, why not hope for the best instead of expecting the worst and doing your best to make it happen with a "PSP is doomed" thread title?

klee123

If you're such a big PSP fan, why not hope for the best instead of expecting the worst and doing your best to make it happen with a "PSP is doomed" thread title?

Sometimes, it's better to be realistic than blindly optimistic.

patsu

The thread title, and the chalkboard OP menu is meant as a joke. Vita's pre-birth life has been a roller coaster, and I've been there since before day 1. I remember E3 last year, where Nintendo was naming game after game coming to 3DS - Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear, etc. It was insane. It was difficult to even imagine that Sony was going to announce a second handheld platform. Heck, if you go back, there were people doubting if Sony was even going to bother with a next gen handheld, or just continue on trucking with PSP. But in January, they announced something. It was the NGP, and it had so much promise, but a suspicious lack of third party titles outside of demos. Then the 3DS struggled early on. People started citing the death of the traditional handheld, and that NGP would just be another casualty. Come E3 2011, Sony drops the $249 bomb. Hopes for the Vita soar higher than ever before. I legitimately thought Sony had a chance at dethroning Nintendo at least in Japan. But then came July. Nintendo slashes the 3DS's price by $80. Nintendo follows that up with Monster Hunter, and an onslaught of titles from almost every major Japanese franchise not to mention the biggest name in gaming. I was banned then, but as someone who's most valued platform is the PSP, it didn't feel good. Nintendo went for the kill, and it seems Sony has nothing to counter with. This is the life of the PlayStation Vita. An up and down roller coaster. I hope this ride ends on the up, but I fear it'll only get worse. Maybe I shouldn't be expecting the worst, but at the very least, if I do, and somehow Vita is a huge success it'll be the biggest shock I've had in a long while.

That's fine and all, but for others who do not share your pessimism and doubt (or they just don't care), they may find it annoying or misleading in the title of the OT.

Seriously, guys, aren't you a little nit picking?

This is like, when Dark Souls thread subtitle was "This thread goes faster than Blighttown framerate", someone entered and said "The subtitle of the thread is misleading. This thread has an average of one post each 2 minutes, and the Blighttown framerate is around 15 frames per second. This subtitle is annoying because it uncourage to buy the game".

patsu

I think they are worried at the misleading title. For the Blighttown example, the game has flakey framerate in that town for real anyway. It's only a small part of Dark Souls.

I think they are worried at the misleading title. For the Blighttown example, the game has flakey framerate in that town for real anyway. It's only a small part of Dark Souls.

When I saw the title I laught, even before seeing that it was from Takao. What it bothers me is to have the OP splitted in all the first page, instead of the first posts. Gaf should allow, when you create a thread, to add a number of placeholder posts (up to 5, for example).

jeremy1456

To be fair, Takao, your hopes of the Vita overthrowing the 3DS (in Japan) were always pretty short sighted.

Nintendo has like... what... four franchises that are as big (if not bigger) than Monster Hunter? (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Pokemon).

I mean, all Nintendo had to do was pull a New Super Mario Bros. out of their ass and it would have been over, and how long do those games even take Nintendo to make?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
To be fair, Takao, your hopes of the Vita overthrowing the 3DS (in Japan) were always pretty short sighted.

Nintendo has like... what... four franchises that are as big (if not bigger) than Monster Hunter? (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Pokemon).

I mean, all Nintendo had to do was pull a New Super Mario Bros. out of their ass and it would have been over, and how long do those games even take Nintendo to make?

Nintendo had those games before, and PSP still did really well in Japan. You make it sound like only one handheld can do well.

jeremy1456

Nintendo had those games before, and PSP still did really well in Japan. You make it sound like only one handheld can do well.

I never said only one handheld could do well. The PSP did perform great in the end.

What I'm saying is that the Vita really never had any hope of overthrowing the 3DS in Japan.

Cipherr

It's just a sub-title guys, sheesh.

It grates at me because its trollbait. And we are going to have plenty of that in just a few months as is.

this doesn't even make sense. also, didn't japan's initial preorder's completely sell out within hours in october? they opened more preorders in november but i don't know what happened with them.

This, I dont recall a single report of Vita preorder that wasnt extremely positive. I have photos of the lines.

patsu

Thread title isn't going to make the Vita actually fail.
Thread has zero impact on Vita sales.

I don't think the people want the thread title changed to increase sales automagically. They may just want a simple official thread to clarify, help gamers, and discuss Vita news.

I *think* I see where they are coming from (I don't see their nicks often, so I assume they usually lurk on the forum). Personally, I do not care enough to demand a change. But I do hope Sony launch Vita with epic funeral music to send off the old PSP approaches.

We may see more and more dual stick handheld gaming in the near future, even on the other platforms.

patsu

WAit, so i can play KZ3 in the toilets ?

EDIT : will it be less laggy than with psp ? I remember trying to play lair (lol) with 1 sec input lag.

According to one of the Sony execs, Vita RemotePlay should be better because of 802.11g and more computing power. PSP uses 802.11b.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom