• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB VI: Return of the Fairy (Pokémon E3 Information Summary)

fobS2pG.jpg

Durig the day of Nintendo E3 events on Tuesday, we've obtained plenty of new information from both the Nintendo Direct in the morning, the Pokémon XY Roundtable + QA in the evening, and information from the main site. Here is a summary of what we have so far:

Release Date
The games will be released worldwide on October 12th, 2013 in stores and on the eShop.

Towns
Vaniville Town (Ja: アサメタウン Asame Town) is the town you start in. You are seen exiting your house at the start of the 2nd Gameplay Trailer.

BJ6C1fN.jpg

MF8SVWO.jpg

gk7sEqG.jpg

Santalune City (Ja: ハクダンシティ Hakudan City) - The town with the benches and fountain from the first gameplay trailer. The location of the first Gym Leader, Viola.

jXdTyAA.jpg

ohjpEIl.jpg
gwtfjkM.jpg

BIDXTBt.jpg
1FmFVhp.jpg

Characters
In the start of your journey at Asame Town, which your character has just moved to, you meet up with 4 people who'll be on the same journey as you. These people are:

Shauna (Ja: サナ Sana) is an energetic girl who is eager to discover her own dreams. But she's also genuinely curious about her friends' progress in their travels!

J7VKiqj.jpg

QqxIcVs.jpg
QrLIOlV.jpg

Tierno (Ja: ティエルノ) is burly and nimble, and his goal is to create a dance team with his Pokémon! He pays close attention to Pokémon when they battle to see he if he can incorporate their actions into new dance moves.

u5URJ2u.jpg

mux5GA3.jpg
PTGJixa.jpg

Trevor's (Ja: トロバ Toroba) goal is to be the first of the group to complete his Pokédex. He's a great student, bursting with curiosity, but he admits that he has much to learn to become a great Trainer.

uqbLudP.jpg

9CvlXvn.jpg
9T6Ywti.jpg

Calem (Ja: カルム) / Selena (Ja: セレナ) is the opposite gender character you did not pick. They live next to your place in Vaniville Town.

Other characters are:

Alexa (Ja: パンジー Pansy) - a journalist working for a publisher in Lumiose City. She's also the older sister of the gym leader Viola. She will also be making an appearance on the TV show in Japan in July.

Gym Leaders
Viola (ビオラ) is the Bug type Gym Leader from Hakudan City. She is also a photographer. Her gym is the one with the spider web from the first trailer.

New Type
The Fairy type is the first new type introduced since Gold and Silver did so 13 years ago (with Dark and Steel), and was specifically created to balance the Dragon type. All that is known at this time is that it is super effective against the Dragon type. There will be several new Fairy Pokémon introduced, and certain old Pokémon will be retyped, much like how Magnemite changed from Electric to Electric/Steel. Moves may be retyped as well, but it's still too early to know for sure.

vkMpBWW.jpg

New moves:
  • Moonblast (Ja: ムーンフォース Moon Force) : May also lower target's Atk.
  • Fairy Wind

New Fairy Pokémon (so far):

Sylveon: Fairy

Flabébé: Fairy

Retyped Pokémon (so far):

Marill: Water -> Water/Fairy

Gardevoir: Psychic -> Psychic/Fairy

Jigglypuff: Normal -> Normal/Fairy

New Pokémon
A bunch of new Pokémon were revealed in the Direct, roundtable, and CoroCoro - 9 new Pokémon in all:

Eng: Noivern
Jpn: オンバーン (Onvern)
Deu: UHaFnir
Fra: Bruyverne
Type Flying/Dragon
Height: 4' 11"
Weight: 187.4 lbs.
Known Moves: Boomburst (Normal) - Emits an explosive sound wave that damages all nearby Pokémon.

Noivern is extremely combative toward anything that wanders too close to it. It flies through even the darkest nights using ultrasonic waves it emits from its ears. This Pokémon loves fruit, and feeding it fruit will keep it calm.

Eng: Scatterbug
Jpn: コフキムシ (Kofukimushi)
Deu: Purmel
Fra: Lépidonille
Type: Bug
Height: 1'00" (0.3m)
Weight: 5.5 lbs. (2.5kg)

The Bug-type Scatterbug resides mostly in forests and wild plains. After Scatterbug has reached a high enough level, it will evolve into Spewpa.
This Bug type uses the fur around its neck to control its body temperature.

Eng: Spewpa
Jpn: コフーライ (Kofuurai)
Deu: Puponcho
Fra: Pérégrain
Type: Bug
Height: 1'00" (0.3m)
Weight: 18.5 lbs. (8.4kg)
Known Moves: Protect

Spewpa is the middle Pokémon of this evolutionary chain. With enough experience gained from battle, Spewpa will eventually evolve into Vivillon.
Spewpa gains a stiff carapace once it evolves from Scatterbug, so less forceful attacks will hardly make a scratch.

Eng: Vivillon
Jpn: ビビヨン (Vivillon)
Deu: Vivillon
Fra: Prismillon
Type: Bug/Flying
Height: 3' 11"
Weight: 37.5 lbs.
Known Moves: Struggle Bug

In its final Evolution, in addition to becoming stronger, Vivillon also changes its type. You can continue to level up the Pokémon to make it even stronger!
The Bug- and Flying-type Pokémon Vivillon uses its wings to scatter its scales or create a strong wind to attack. Vivillon is said to have a secret hidden in the colorful decorative pattern on its wings.

Eng: Talonflame
Jpn: ファイアロー (Fiarrow)
Deu: Fiaro
Fra: Flambusard
Type: Fire/Flying
Height: 3' 11"
Weight: 54.0 lbs.
Known Moves: Brave Bird

An evolved form of the recently announced Fletchling, Talonflame is a Fire- and Flying-type Pokémon that gains a whole new level of speed and firepower. It dives at foes, and then attacks with devastating kicks.

Eng: Clauncher
Jpn: ウデッボウ (Udebbou)
Deu: Scampisto
Fra: Flingouste
Type Water
Height: 1' 08"
Weight: 18.3 lbs.
Known moves: Crabhammer

Clauncher is easily recognizable by the oversized claw on one of its arms. This useful claw can seize prey and shoot water at others as a projectile!
Clauncher's enormous claw can also crack boulders when the Pokémon is at close range.

Eng: Skrelp
Jpn: クズモー (Kuzumou)
Deu: Algitt
Fra: Venalgue
Type: Poison/Water
Height: 1' 08" (0.5m)
Weight: 16.1 lbs. (7.3kg)
Known Moves: Sludge Bomb

Disguised by its shape, Skrelp pretends to be a piece of seaweed. When prey gets too close, Skrelp bathes it in poison to keep it from struggling.

Eng: Litleo
Jpn: シシコ (Shishiko)
Deu: Leufeo
Fra: Hélionceau
Type: Fire/Normal
Height: 2'00" (0.6m)
Weight: 29.8 lbs. (13.5kg)
Known Moves: Noble Roar (Ja: おたけび Wild Roar) - Lowers the target's Attack and Special Attack.

The hot-blooded Litleo is always ready for a good fight! Its mane blazes with heat during battle, burning hotter and hotter the stronger its opponent.

Eng: Flabébé
Jpn: フラベベ (Flabébé)
Deu: Flabébé
Fra: Flabébé
Type: Fairy
Height: (0.1m)
Weight: (0.1kg)
Known Moves: Fairy Wind

Another newly discovered Fairy-type Pokémon, Flabébé clings to a flower early on, and then cares for it for its entire life. Because of this, Flabébé may be found holding flowers of different colors.

Pokémon-Amie

8KlFqEV.jpg

Pokémon-Amie is a new gameplay feature that lets you interact with your Pokémon more closely than you could do before - pet them, feed them treats, and play with them as you increase your bond with your Pokémon. Pokémon that are raised well may even perform better in battle, like being able to evade more or do more critical hits, along with other benefits!

Z8813Oa.jpg
mENbBoN.jpg
5KUVIZ1.jpg

JxIJdS2.jpg
NthNDfl.jpg

WjwjD9H.jpg
riY9XhR.jpg

E6ySKiw.jpg
wjuDPLX.jpg

0WM0vHm.jpg
NqtB6yX.jpg

Pokémon Search System (PSS)
The new second screen experience, replacing the Poke Gear from BW/B2W2, allows you to connect with people you pass by in real life, and with people on the internet around the world. With this, you can initiate trades and custom ruled battles (along with other things) with people on your friend list with just a tap.

Customization
It was known before that you can customise your trainer's appearance. During the roundtable, it was specified that you can change your hairstyle, and your general appearance, including your outfit.

594A0xr.jpg

Horde Encounters
This new battle type has your Pokémon facing off against 4-5 Pokémon at the same time. These encounters will test your mettle due to the increased target options, as well as multiple Pokémon attacking you all at once. Be vigilant, and take multi-target moves!

DrEUZgi.jpg
7psP7Ot.jpg

1Yk2vKh.jpg
qYd92lj.jpg

8c7aHWl.jpg
YBt0WTl.jpg

Sky Battles
The second new battle type is Sky Battles, initiated by talking to certain specific trainers throughout the game. This type of battle can only be done with Flying Pokémon, or Pokémon that have the ability Levitate. Further details about Sky Battles are unknown at this time.

bJHfSSE.jpg
kO5Tj7g.jpg

cfgLqsc.jpg

Multiple Languages
For the first time, it will be possible to play the game in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Korean, or Japanese by setting the language when you start up the game. This probably holds no matter which region Pokémon game you buy.
b3nOoaf.jpg

Miscellaneous
  • The theme of the game is "beauty". France's beauty is why it was chosen as the setting for the Kalos region.
  • Still 1 save file :p
  • The day/night visual system has been enhanced with shadows and illumination on the character and environment
  • e60fWXB.gif
  • We've known since the first trailer, but you get those Roller Skates you're using in Santalune City.
  • 8 way movement is definitely confirmed, as was seen in last month's trailer. Overworld still uses grid system to do encounters and such.
  • Along with Gogoat, other Pokémon can be ridden in various parts of the game, to overcome obstacles or traverse new paths. Rhyhorn is confirmed to be one of these rentable Pokémon.
  • There will be the usual bevy of free Pokémon DLC - expect distribution Pokémon, as well as other ingame things.
  • EVs and IVs will be made a bit easier to work with, as has been the case for the past few games.
  • Encounter text may vary depending on the location where you encounter a Pokémon.
  • During multiplayer battles, different BGM can be selected prior to facing off.

Trailers
Gameplay Trailer 2

Gameplay Trailer 3

Gameplay Trailer 4

Nintendo Developer Roundtable featuring Pokémon X and Pokémon Y

Rumors...
If you've been following past threads, you may have heard about a certain leaker who revealed a good chunk of the info that's been shown off here, and last month. You can find more info in [this thread here], but take it with a grain of salt, despite most of it being true so far.

qq more

It was known before that you can customise your trainer's appearance. During the roundtable, it was specified that you can change your hairstyle, and your general appearance, including your outfit.
:O

I had no idea about this until now. Awesome awesome awesome.

Carbonox

Some great information. The dominance of dragon soon to be over? Then again it depends on the nature of the fairy Pokemon being introduced.

Need to acquire a 3DS now...

Calcium

Banned
I'm impressed that all the new designs so far are looking good. Hopefully they can avoid making any horrendous Pokemon this generation.

I was hoping that Pokemon-Amie would be an optional feature, but if it gives stat boosts I'll have to do it.

Moonlight

Banned
I swear to god my head exploded when I noticed that what I thought were Noivern's eyes were actually its' ears.

It's like discovering the Basilisk's real eyes in Dark Souls all over again.

Espada

Noivern and Clauncher... YES PLEASE

I can't wait for October 12th, I'm already planning my team and we've only gotten a peek at the Kalos region pokemon.

Moonlight

Banned
I honestly think that they've been knocking it clear out of the park with every single Gen VI Pokemon reveal thus far. I haven't seen any duds design-wise. Obviously, they're being pretty selective of what they choose to reveal, but I really do think that every design they've shown off is pretty inspired.

I just realized:

I thought that I got the capitalization for the German name for Noivern wrong (UHaFnir), then I realized:

UHaFnir

UHF + Fafnir

Ah...

Ultimadrago

I still don't care for the overworld (rather underwhelming visually).

Poke battles, on the other hand, look very nice (takes me back to Stadium titles).

Will keep my eye on.

Q - We saw trainers riding a Gogoat jumping over a barrier and a player riding a slow moving Rhydon. What are the benefits to iding a pokemon vs. the bike in earlier games?

A - The other Pokemon you saw was actually Rhyhorn, not Rhydon . Maybe a big rocky Pokemon will help you cross broken paths that you might not be able to cross with a bike alone. He'll allow you to bust up rocks along your way across your path. Rhyhorn was the Pokemon I personally always wanted to ride. If there was a Rhyhorn here in real life I'm sure you'd like to ride him as well

From the roundtable....lol.

Talonflame? I'm not usually this guy - I love every 'Mon, but that's a pretty lame name.

The Japanese name, Fiarrow, is so much better. Talonflame sounds like no effort was exhausted in the naming process. Lame. :(

Edit: I'm so happy Azumarill going to be bringing the A-game. Huge Power and Physical Fairy moves will be magnificent. One of my favourite Pokemon. Going to be many people jumping on that bandwagon.

SoulUnison

Banned
And I guess as long as I'm already nitpicking minor things, the placement of the HP Bars on the top screen during battles seems really off. They're just sort of "there." Especially the Player's side's HP HUD. It feels like it's constantly in the way when there's so many other places it could be.

Macka

Vivillion should have totally been Bug/Fairy.

Talonflame is a terrible name.

Still liking all of the designs though :)

Macka

So basically Froakie's final evolution is a complete counter to Fennekin's.
The link to the leaked information in the OP is wrong. It was corrected on Pokebeach a few hours later. The final evolutions for the starters are
Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark and Water/Fighting.

Considering how much I hated additions like Rotation Battles I'm surprisingly hyped for Sky Battles and hordes. Trainer customisation looks great as well (finally can change the awful default male design) and I'm glad the Fairy type rumour turned out to be true.

I think this is the first time I've genuinely looked forward to a Pokemon game since HG/SS.

Judging by that passerby image, the level of customisation is far, far beyond what I expected.

Also, name aside, Talonflame is awesome.

JoeM86

I really am excited for all these new features. Would have posted more about them here when they happened, but I hope you guys understand

Sky Battles and Hordes are an amazing feature and I'm excited to see what else is brought to this game

Wilbur

Banned
Still don't like Skrelp but I think he'll have a good evo. Clauncher is cool, Talonflame is great as is Noivern and if you can get both of them relatively early I'll have a hard time picking a flying type.

That brings us to 15 new Pokemon does it? I'm approaching the stage where I know too much haha. Just wanna see final evos and be out of here :(

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Wait, we're actually getting full blown trainer customization?
Just a bit skeptical because one of the player avatars looks like the new Lass trainer. Are we sure they didn't mean we can only change our avatar in multiplayer battles to one of the existing trainer types, like in previous games?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man the designs so far look so good. I hope Talonflame and Vivillon won't disappoint, considering their typing.

*looks at the touch screen*

Pokémon has taken a very dark turn.

jk, Everything sounds awesome. :D

You shouldn't be surprised, in the trailer they showed an Eeveelution, a Lucario and a Zoroark in Pokemon-amie. That should be enough hint for you :p

JoeM86

The bombs continue

The first batch of CoroCoro information is seemingly released, though unconfirmed at this time, and this batch showcases more information on the upcoming games, Pokémon X & Y. In this small portion of a scan, it shows a new character called Sana, who appears to be the character who follows you in the forest within the early trailer. Another image shows a character called Pansy (パンジー), who appears in the anime with Gogoat on July 18th, and the first Gym Leader we know of called Viola (Literally Biora ビオラ), who appears to be a bug Gym Leader in Hakudan City (ハクダンシティ)

The bombs continue

The first batch of CoroCoro information is seemingly released, though unconfirmed at this time, and this batch showcases more information on the upcoming games, Pokémon X & Y. In this small portion of a scan, it shows a new character called Sana, who appears to be the character who follows you in the forest within the early trailer. Another image shows a character called Pansy (パンジー), who appears in the anime with Gogoat on July 18th, and the first Gym Leader we know of called Viola (Literally Biora ビオラ), who appears to be a bug Gym Leader in Hakudan City (ハクダンシティ)
Ack!

Well, I'll be sure to add them to the OP as they are uncovered :)

ash_ag

Shishiko looks so jolly. I think I'll train one in Y! ^_^

Really like the first Gym Leader's design. Less gimmicky than the Striaton triplets but with a seemingly more interesting background.

JoeM86

Yep, four new Pokémon too!

13:17: Vivillon's pre-evolutions have been revealed as Kofukimushi (コフキムシ) & Kofuurai ( コフーライ), both of which are Bug-types
13:20: The Lion Cub Pokémon is called Shishiko (シシコ) and is Fire/Normal-type. The flower is Furabebe (フラベベ) and is Fairy-type and knows the move Fairy Wind
13:25: Starting town is called Asame Town (アサメタウン) and has three characters including Sana, Tieruno and Toroba. You just moved to Asame Town.

~Your friendly neighbourhood Serebii

DaBoss

They're having dinner in the first screen. o_O

Yep, four new Pokémon too!

13:17: Vivillon's pre-evolutions have been revealed as Kofukimushi (コフキムシ) & Kofuurai ( コフーライ), both of which are Bug-types
13:20: The Lion Cub Pokémon is called Shishiko (シシコ) and is Fire/Normal-type. The flower is Furabebe (フラベベ) and is Fairy-type and knows the move Fairy Wind
13:25: Starting town is called Asame Town (アサメタウン) and has three characters including Sana, Tieruno and Toroba. You just moved to Asame Town.

~Your friendly neighbourhood Serebii

Thanks.

Top Bottom