• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon new info - Starter evolutions, Demo, Ash-Greninja

Kyzer

Banned
maybe ash gives you the greninja in the demo, and that will forever be his only cameo in the video game canon. the SM demo.

Nanashrew

Banned
So where are the fanart?

http://logancure.deviantart.com/art/Dartrix-Torracat-Brionne-alola-starter-638328128
dartrix__torracat__brionne__alola_starter_by_logancure-dak1l4w.jpg

http://ieafy.deviantart.com/art/Brionne-638347240

http://strawberrry-milk.deviantart.com/art/Brionne-638342103

maybe ash gives you the greninja in the demo, and that will forever be his only cameo in the video game canon. the SM demo.
I'd be okay with this. Heck wouldn't mind if he showed up in the full game.
I would love a post game kalos league where you battle ash, Alain, and shota/sawyer.

This might be the first time ever I pick a fire starter. I usually pick water so I'm just not feeling it this time around, and I just can't do Miles Owlsworth.

I'm conflicted

I'm a dog guy so I don't want the cat, so I'll want Arcanine.

I don't want popplio because I'll get ash greninja.

And the owls second evolution looks like the Matt Smith doctor who and I don't particularly care for him.

So now I'm hoping for the owls final evolution to look like the archer so I can get him, call him Robin Hoot and keep him in the party. If not I guess I'll be not keeping my starter

OrionX

Stop projecting and just admit you want to fuck Brionne if that's the first thought that came to your head.

LOL!

I would've never thought there was anything perverted or pandering about Brionne's design before coming to this thread. It's just a feminine design, simple as that. I'm not really a fan of the design myself, but there's nothing wrong with pokemon having feminine characteristics. The way people interpret those characteristics is on them.

Ya know, now that I think of it, it seems silly that starters still have such a skewed gender ratio.

So where are the fanart?

tumblr_oej1kkPoNn1vh0axro1_500.png

http://nabeicat.tumblr.com/post/151336570082

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Have any of the proven leaks said anything about post game?

Not proven but one of the "real leaks" (called Ash-Greninja as a demo reward) said that you could only capture UBs in the post-game and that you need special balls and have to go into the dimensional-vortexes to do so. So that may be a thing, I guess.

Not proven but one of the "real leaks" (called Ash-Greninja as a demo reward) said that you could only capture UBs in the post-game and that you need special balls and have to go into the dimensional-vortexes to do so. So that may be a thing, I guess.
Sounds similar to the mirage island legendary quest from oras.

Rigalo

Anyone have a link to this leak? I'd love to see what else it had to say

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
After seeing the Kotaku article about people criticizing Brionne for looking feminine (with one comment calling Brionne a "pansy"), I'm now much more endeared to the line because I can now only see Popplio's forms as chronicling the birth of a drag queen.

On a different note, I think it's interesting that Ash-Greninja's description seems to place the anime in the distant past of this game's canon.

Speaking of the demo frog, I wonder how they'll go about its ability when it comes to breeding since Torrent and Protean already account for the normal and hidden ones. Hope it's not shiny locked...

It's not hard to retroactively add abilities (In fact, GF already did this with Zygarde to add its form-changing abilities when it already had Aura Break and no defined Hidden Ability yet). What hasn't been done is retroactively changing abilities. And you might use the Kanto birds/Johto dogs as an example but they were never officially released let alone announced.

Spyware

Brionne's eyes just tells me it's probably gonna be fairy (yayness!)

I usually don't like girly things but I adore that leaked Popplio final evo and I think Brionne is cute.

After seeing the Kotaku article about people criticizing Brionne for looking feminine (with one comment calling Brionne a "pansy"), I'm now much more endeared to the line because I can now only see Popplio's forms as chronicling the birth of a drag queen.

On a different note, I think it's interesting that Ash-Greninja's description seems to place the anime in the distant past of this game's canon.
I think it's referring to the first greninja from a ninja village in the anime that changed form years ago.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Has there ever been a starter line which everyone loved consistently?

I think they're popularity went something like this when they were first revealed -

Gen 6
Fennekin > Chespin = Froakie
Frogadier = Braixen > Quiladin
Greninja > Delphox = Chesnaught

Gen 5
Snivy > Tepig > Oshawott
Dewott > Servine > Pignite
Serperior > Samurott > Emboar

Gen 4
Piplup > Chimchar > Turtwig
Monferno = Grotle > Prinplup
Infernape > Empoleon > Torterra

Wasn't around for gen 3, but I reckon not too many people were big on Combusken or Marshtomp.

Gen 7 seems to be going
Rowlet > Litten > Popplio
Torracat > Dartrix > Brionne
Rowlet3 > Popplio3 > Litten3

Its just interesting to see people jump ship, get back on, or join the bandwagon haha.

I mean, sample size of 4, but none of my Pokémon playing sisters like Popplio's design. The eldest (they're half sisters, all significantly younger than me) actually said it was a bit insulting to suppose that girls would necessarily want something with pony tails and big round eyes. She does like 'feminine' designs - Alolan Ninetales has her hyped - but Popplio's line does nothing.

My impression of what they thought is that it is too much of an infantilized portrait of femininity, compared to more 'sophisticated' portraits like Ninetales, Delphox, and Gardevoir. I'm inclined to agree. I don't think the Popplio line was aimed at girls at all, or if it was, then the people doing the design haven't actually met many young girls. I think that it was squarely aimed at the otaku market.

I can't believe you used Delphox and sophisticated in the same sentence, especially considering Braixen comes off as very otaku-pandering.

Has there ever been a starter line which everyone loved consistently?

Bulbasaur->Ivysaur->Venusaur (including Mega Venusaur)

I have a hard time thinking of complaints of those three. Ivysaur also stands out as a middle form, being a Smash veteran.

The other Gen 1 starters, Charmeleon is basically unknown, and quite a few people dislike the drastic change between Wartortle and Blastoise.

But the Bulbasaur line seems fairly liked through all three forms.

Treeko's entire line are also pretty popular. Seems everyone likes all three of them as well.

DylanEno

Bulbasaur->Ivysaur->Venusaur (including Mega Venusaur)

I have a hard time thinking of complaints of those three. Ivysaur also stands out as a middle form, being a Smash veteran.

The other Gen 1 starters, Charmeleon is basically unknown, and quite a few people dislike the drastic change between Wartortle and Blastoise.

But the Bulbasaur line seems fairly liked through all three forms.

Treeko's entire line are also pretty popular. Seems everyone likes all three of them as well.
But Venusaur looks like a giant, ugly frog. I always perceived public preference as Bulba>Ivy>Venu.

Stencil

I can't imagine hating a single (or a few) designs so much that I entirely skip a game. Especially when taste in Pokémon is just so... all over the place. Also I find it funny when people have to share when they're abandoning a series in a thread for that game.

I promise you the only way in which you've "aged out" is in the strange way that people think certain games are beneath them because of their age (it's in your head). Also, Pokémon has become more adult-friendly, not less. The battle system is more rewarding for people of all ages now than it ever has been,

It's just strange, especially since the game isn't even out. But sure, I guess people can arbitrarily decide things aren't for them based on not a whole lot of information (or based on their distaste for "childish" things).

It's not about age in the "I'm a mature adult!" kind of sense, I adore many childish things. It's about age in the "this has gotten old after many years of playing what is essentially the same thing" kind of way. Obviously it's not the same as it always has been, as evidenced by my previous statements regarding the extra additions, but again, I am no longer interested enough to care about these extra additions.

Nanashrew

Banned

Makes me sad. Brionne is such a cutie too :<

Top Bottom