• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon new info - Starter evolutions, Demo, Ash-Greninja

ffdgh

Speaking of the demo frog, I wonder how they'll go about its ability when it comes to breeding since Torrent and Protean already account for the normal and hidden ones. Hope it's not shiny locked...

nukedeggs

Really enjoying the rich kid aesthetic for Rowlet's midevo. Him brushing back his...hair feather and not liking people touching his hair in Pokemon Amie is a nice touch lol.

And idk, I enjoy Brionne. It's like a cute seal in a skirt and continues on with the 'performer' thing. When I first saw it, I didn't get any of the otaku undertones that others seem to be getting, I just thought it was a cute performing seal in a skirt. I got a much stronger 'otaku' impression from Braixen than I do for Brionne.

Torracat just looks like a bigger Litten. I dunno he looks more boring and 'expected' than Dartrix and Brionne, but he's not like, terrible either.

Meh about ash-greninja. Not too big a fan of the anime crossing into the game.

When was that confirmed? Last I heard Corocoro was hinting that Rockruff has a secret shared with the starters (though that was a while ago, so I've probably missed something).
It was a mistranslation. Both Rockruff and the starters have a secret, but it's implied that they're unrelated.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man some people still can't handle Brionne having a feminine design, when she is not the first Pokémon to be designed this way nor will she be the last.

Frankly I find it insulting as it's implying that having a feminine designed Pokémon, which is designed to appeal to girls is somehow a bad thing.

I'm starting to wish Pokemon would change up the starter types someday.

I know they usually get a second type once they are fully evolved, but I think it would freshen up the early game if they did 3 different types that roughly match the Water/Fire/Grass combo.

They won't change up the starter typing as Fire/Water/Grass is the easiest way to teach new comers and younger players about the type chart, with the first gym leader being their test.

I believe fighting, rock, and flying types would make a balanced triangle.

It would but it doesn't do a good job in teaching the type chart plus we only had one pure flying type.

Yeah, its totally not like girls play Pokemon or anything. That's obviously what they were going for 😑

Exactly.

Edit: also funny that you mention MLP, another childrens property that adult men are convinced is for them instead of, you know, kids.

Those people are losers.

My only problem with Popplio's evolution is the fact that it's gone from looking so gender neutral/generally cute, to obviously feminine looking is a shock.

Honestly speaking Popplio did have a feminine look to her and I suspected that she would be the first water feminine starter.

I wonder why they decided to make Jynx female only in Gen 2 but let Mr. Mine be whatever?

Because Jynx wears a dress and is already dodgy as it is, they didn't need to add fuel to the fire.

Why would you they want to make it harder?

Because starters are suppose to be a rare Pokémon and is one of the toughest choice that the player will make at the start of the team as what starter they pick will determine how their team will grow.

JoeM86

Speaking of the demo frog, I wonder how they'll go about its ability when it comes to breeding since Torrent and Protean already account for the normal and hidden ones. Hope it's not shiny locked...

Chances are it'll be like this:

025-c.png

Still a Pikachu but unable to breed or evolve.

So basically it's an alternate form with the ability and won't be able to breed (since it's meant to be Ash's Greninja, this makes the most sense).

Wouldn't be surprised if it's not Bankable, as well.

When was that confirmed? Last I heard Corocoro was hinting that Rockruff has a secret shared with the starters (though that was a while ago, so I've probably missed something).

Yeah the secret isn't a shared one. People conflated the whole thing.

025-c.png

So basically it's an alternate form with the ability and won't be able to breed (since it's meant to be Ash's Greninja, this makes the most sense).

Yeah the secret isn't a shared one. People conflated the whole thing.
Yeah I can see this happening with ash greninja.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
idol and pedophilia waaaaaat

this thread is going really strange places because of justifying viewpoints

Because starters are suppose to be a rare Pokémon and is one of the toughest choice that the player will make at the start of the team as what starter they pick will determine how their team will grow.

But they're rare to begin with since they can't be found in the wild and you're only allowed one per playthrough.

ffdgh

025-c.png

Ohhh...Yeah that's definitely makes the most sense so far. Kinda funny since AZ's floette is bankable despite not being released at all.

Takashi

Brionne is just eh to me. But when people criticize the Popplio line I'm not sure whether they mean Brionne or the final evo. Cause if the leaks are true the final one looks great. And I don't particularly stan for feminine Pokemon or anything, it's just a solid design. It advances the performer seal motif but keeps it subtle. Reminds me of stuff like Milotic or Gardervoir, rather than something overt like Meloetta (ugh).

DylanEno

I'm not understanding the hate for feminine Pokémon designs

Like, does every Pokémon need to be modeled after Machamp? Tf is wrong with a little diversity?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I'm not understanding the hate for feminine Pokémon designs

Like, does every Pokémon need to be modeled after Machamp? Tf is wrong with a little diversity?

It's a small, unconscious bias a lot of people have: everything has to be "gender-neutral" to appeal to everyone, where "gender-neutral" is actually male coded. Women are (generally) expected to learn to empathize with a male viewpoint/characteristics, while men don't often have that expectations.

It's a thing.

AetherZX

A great deal of kids will probably be pissed if Ash Greninja gets spiky eared/cosplay Pikachu treatment.

I don't see it being game-locked, tbh.

DylanEno

Yeah who doesn't love Jynx, right guys?
Jynx is literally just a woman in a red dress lmfao - in other words, a terribly designed Pokémon. Not to mention one that was altered due to allegations of racism. Please tell me that's not your entire argument for why feminine Pokémon designs shouldn't exist.

DylanEno

It's a small, unconscious bias a lot of people have: everything has to be "gender-neutral" to appeal to everyone, where "gender-neutral" is actually male coded. Women are (generally) expected to learn to empathize with a male viewpoint/characteristics, while men don't often have that expectations.

It's a thing.
Interesting. Like, I guess I could see that being a thing back when Pokémon first started. But now? That's still a thing? Wtf? Kind of ridiculous.

Brionne is utterly adorable. You just need to take into account that people who love an emo scenester owl probably have terrible taste.
I could kiss you rn

I like both Rowlett and Popplio's line. Almost every gen(except for Gen 2), I end up going with the grass starter and I'll probably do the same with this gen. Although I think Popplio's final evolution is a great design.

I think I've said this before, but I like all three lines until Litten's final form, going off of that leaked paper that showed the starters' final form. I just prefer Rowlet to all of them, but I'd be fine with any of them as my starter besides Litten's final form being probably Fire/Fighting like usual.

Honestly, I think at this point I'm gonna go Rowlet. Even if lucha cat ends up being fire/dark I just like the designs inthe Rowlet line better at this point.

Stencil

Hoo boy those starters... I think I'm bowing out for this one. The Alola region & Alola forms look super cool but with all these Mega-evos, added features and new design direction for the new pokes, I think I've just aged out of the series. I hope that future generations can enjoy the series as much as I did when I was younger.

Thanks Pokemon, it was fun. I'll always love you.

Hoo boy those starters... I think I'm bowing out for this one. Thanks Pokemon, it was fun. I'll always love you.

I can't imagine hating a single (or a few) designs so much that I entirely skip a game. Especially when taste in Pokémon is just so... all over the place. Also I find it funny when people have to share when they're abandoning a series in a thread for that game.

I promise you the only way in which you've "aged out" is in the strange way that people think certain games are beneath them because of their age (it's in your head). Also, Pokémon has become more adult-friendly, not less. The battle system is more rewarding for people of all ages now than it ever has been,

It's just strange, especially since the game isn't even out. But sure, I guess people can arbitrarily decide things aren't for them based on not a whole lot of information (or based on their distaste for "childish" things).

DylanEno

Hoo boy those starters... I think I'm bowing out for this one. The Alola region & Alola forms look super cool but with all these Mega-evos, added features and new design direction for the new pokes, I think I've just aged out of the series. I hope that future generations can enjoy the series as much as I did when I was younger.

Yeah if it's one thing this gen suffers from, it's too many new Megas!

Azuran

Banned
I mean, sample size of 4, but none of my Pokémon playing sisters like Popplio's design. The eldest (they're half sisters, all significantly younger than me) actually said it was a bit insulting to suppose that girls would necessarily want something with pony tails and big round eyes. She does like 'feminine' designs - Alolan Ninetales has her hyped - but Popplio's line does nothing.

My impression of what they thought is that it is too much of an infantilized portrait of femininity, compared to more 'sophisticated' portraits like Ninetales, Delphox, and Gardevoir. I'm inclined to agree. I don't think the Popplio line was aimed at girls at all, or if it was, then the people doing the design haven't actually met many young girls. I think that it was squarely aimed at the otaku market.

Stop projecting and just admit you want to fuck Brionne if that's the first thought that came to your head.

Takashi

To be fair there's still loads of Pokemon and features that haven't been revealed so maybe try waiting a little bit longer, see if something you like comes up.

Every gen has its duds anyway, doesn't mean you should avoid the rest.

Seems to be 37 in the video footage, which I assume is from the demo. Frogadier evolves at level 36, so I'm guessing it's going to be one of the two.
Good catch. That usually means he won't obey until I have the first gym badge. But since there are no gyms I wonder how that will work?

it still pisses me off they havent retconned the nidorans into one single dex number.

They're the King and Queen of gender splits! The OG's!

They're different Pokémon from their first stage to the final evolution. Different design, build, and stats. I get why they have different dex entry.

I wish the Ralts line followed their path.

Good catch. That usually means he won't obey until I have the first gym badge. But since there are no gyms I wonder how that will work?

It might be withheld until a certain point in the game.

The Glalie/Steelix from the ORAS demo has a different OT so I'm assuming this will be the same. Watch the the trainer's name in the demo be Ash.

Were we really having an argument upon whether Poppilo's evolution deserved to be criticized for pandering to the "otaku market" because it looked feminine?

My goodness. People are so allergic to THE GREAT EVIL MOEBLOB MENACE THAT KILLED ANIME that anything that looks vaguely similar to it is now considered to be an all time evil that must be purged to protect the SANCTITY of video games.

It might be withheld until a certain point in the game.

The Glalie/Steelix from the ORAS demo has a different OT so I'm assuming this will be the same. Watch the the trainer's name in the demo be Ash.
Ah didn't know they did that in oras. I'm thinking the trainer will be Ash. Think it would be pretty cool.

Top Bottom