• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, those particular things require you to have background knowledge in why they might be there, but I think most people on Obama's Facebook know that or understand that.
Which is fine if it never is distributed beyond there and only seen by Obama supporters, or used by the Republicans, which is totally likely to be the case. ;)

Show the Iran thing to elderly Jewish voters in Florida, it might not go over well. Remember the Wiener replacement special election (and that wasn't even Florida)?

Maybe they should have used scare quotes around "Freedom" :p
Mocking Freedom now are we? lol

The point is that the RNC is full of clichèd rhetoric and little substance, not that the things on the bingo card are "bad."

So you're saying that Iran is not bad or a threat?

Man I wish I could get paid to do this. lol

Y'know, speaking of that FDR stuff, I have a conservative-leaning co-worker who asserted that FDR was the worst president that we ever had, that the New Deal caused the US's Great Depression-wrecked economy to worsen significantly, and that the only way we survived it was that we got yanked into WWII at the right time.

I don't talk politics with him much, anymore, honestly. He's got amusing insights on pretty much any topic, but this one? Don't wanna hear it. Maybe I should, though? I dunno.

The Obama has an amazing graphic design team. Their typography is always fucking fantastic.

My design boner gets hard for their fonts.

To be fair, the GOP has gotten muuuuuch better in that regard this year too.

pigeon

Banned
Y'know, speaking of that FDR stuff, I have a conservative-leaning co-worker who asserted that FDR was the worst president that we ever had, that the New Deal caused the US's Great Depression-wrecked economy to worsen significantly, and that the only way we survived it was that we got yanked into WWII at the right time.

I don't talk politics with him much, anymore, honestly. He's got amusing insights on pretty much any topic, but this one? Don't wanna hear it. Maybe I should, though? I dunno.

Ask him how he feels about the gold standard.

RDreamer

Mocking Freedom now are we? lol

Of course. I am a liberal. I hate freedom. It's my sworn enemy, right up there with personal responsibility and religion.

The Obama has an amazing graphic design team. Their typography is always fucking fantastic.

My design boner gets hard for their fonts.

To be fair, the GOP has gotten muuuuuch better in that regard this year too.

They are really really good with most of this stuff, though I do notice that most of their fonts were taken from the same site, and that site even pointed this out. I forgot what it was, but they offer a lot of pretty cool fonts. I tend to try to stay away from them because they feel a bit cliched to me, and a lot of hipster designs seem to use them. I do have a sort of guilty pleasure for 'em though.

I really wish I could work on a design team for a Presidential run. I think that'd be fun as hell. That's why I worked on a few things for that activist when he ran against Walker here in Wisconsin.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't think the Obama campaign, in their wildest dreams, thought they would ever give the Romney campaign enough fodder to base a whole night of the convention around. Tuesday was "We Built It!" for 2-3 straight hours of speeches in addition to it being all over the convention hall.

They didn't give them any material. the Republicans' "material" was simply nonsensical and hypocritcial semantic wrangling. This isn't opinion, it's demonstrated fact.

The fact that you parotted "We Built It" as material shows just how vacuous your "material" is.

"We Built It" is the absolute distillation of your horseshit.

Loudninja

Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal court has ruled against a Texas law that would require voters to present photo IDs to election officials before being allowed to cast ballots in November.
A three-judge panel in Washington ruled Thursday that the law imposes "strict, unforgiving burdens on the poor" and noted that racial minorities in Texas are more likely to live in poverty.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...P7R_Dg?docId=9df1409a2b2740bd91f62251a590eac2

Judge Says Florida Voter Registration Rules to Be Blocked
Florida restrictions on voter registration groups, passed by the state’s Republican lawmakers and governor, will probably be permanently blocked by a U.S. judge who earlier said the rules were probably unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle in Tallahassee said yesterday he would grant an Aug. 10 request from both Florida and voting rights groups for a permanent injunction blocking the rules as soon as a federal appeals court dismisses the state’s appeal.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-29/judge-may-toss-florida-voter-registration-limits

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't think the Obama campaign, in their wildest dreams, thought they would ever give the Romney campaign enough fodder to base a whole night of the convention around. Tuesday was "We Built It!" for 2-3 straight hours of speeches in addition to it being all over the convention hall.

They took a quote completely out of context and in doing so essentially lied about what Obama said, and turned that into their theme. Congratulations to them.

The context was worse.
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but if it's true, why did they even bother taking it out of context?

RDreamer

The "We Built It" thing is especially funny considering they had a bunch of governors come up and tout how many jobs they created.

The context was worse.

What? How? Stating that you specifically didn't build roads and bridges and infrastructure that help every business grow and thrive is worse?

Gallup continues to show a convention bounce for Romney!

And by bounce I mean obama still has a 1 point lead, same as yesterday. His approval ticked up by a point.

The "We Built It" thing is especially funny considering they had a bunch of governors come up and tout how many jobs they created.
Yep, with all dat stimulus money.

But the economy is really bad though.

I'm surprised that the mainstream media is actually calling out Paul Ryan on his lies today. I guess he felt like he was invincible and could say anything and still be beyond reproach, but ended up finally crossing the line.

"It wasn't government spending that got us out of the Great Depression, it was government spending!" No need to bother with this guy.

Jackson50

Because he didn't just knock business owners, he mocked everyone who was successful.
You've been firing on all troll cylinders today. The 10/6 myth. Obama's signature. This. The convention must have really inspired you.
http://news.yahoo.com/condoleezza-rice-hits-obama-foreign-policy-020948614.html

Let's all listen to the National security advisor who was about to give a speech about how important missile defense was . . . but then airplanes hijacked by a terrorist she ignored started flying into our buildings. Thanks, Ms. National Security Advisor.

Awww . . . did Obama embarrass you by showing us how we could deal with a dictator without destroy the nation's finances? Loser.

Be happy you were never prosecuted for war crimes.
I disagreed with our involvement in Libya. But if we are going to intervene militarily, the Obama Administration's process was ideal. It ensured international legitimacy, and it defrayed the costs among other states. Leading from the front, or however they couch their criticism, is an empty euphemism for heedlessly thrusting our hand in a hornet's nest.

RDreamer

Because he didn't just knock business owners, he mocked everyone who was successful.

As much as the GOP protests, he's saying the same damned thing that they have, even when responding to his remarks:

Jeb Bush:

The president is constantly trying to divide the country by saying rich people need to pay more and they didn’t build what they built. It was a communal effort, I guess. And the fact is, if you don’t build capacity in people, they can’t pursue their dreams, no matter how hard they work. If they don’t have the power that comes from knowledge and the college education, they can’t do it.

Mitt Romney:
I know that you recognize a lot of people help you in a business. Perhaps the bank, the investors. There is no question your mom and dad, your school teachers. The people who provide roads, the fire, the police. A lot of people help.

This isn't some new idea President Obama is putting forth. He's just emphasizing things a bit, because the American people have lost sight of that fact. They've lost sight of the collective good we can do, and so he emphasized it.

You also missed the next part of the speech where he says "The point is when we succeed we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

It's a mental sleight-of-hand. It's easy to think "oh, the war. makes sense." but the reason the war was important was because of the dramatic increase in government spending.

Edit: Beaten.

Sarah-Palin-on-Newsweek.jpg

You also missed the next part of the speech where he says "The point is when we succeed we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."
Still it was a really poor choice of words and the ultimate message while nice is now buried forever. Granted this happens to everyone.

Sometimes I think every campigan needs to have a person from the other side read it and see if it contains any obvious issues likely to induce people being pissed off. Kind of like a proofreader.

eznark

Banned
That PPP poll seems like wildly positive news for the GOP. If McCaskill couldn't build a lead after those two weeks, she never will.

lol Missouri

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Still it was a really poor choice of words and the ultimate message while nice is now buried forever. Granted this happens to everyone.

Sometimes I think every campigan needs to have a person from the other side read it and see if it contains any obvious issues likely to induce people being pissed off. Kind of like a proofreader.
Except you're dealing with a group that wants to be offended.

Associated Press took aim at Ryan's fudging. That will appear in newspapers & websites all over the country.

WASHINGTON (AP) — GOP vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan took some factual shortcuts during the Republican convention when he attacked President Barack Obama's policies on Medicare, the economic stimulus and the budget deficit. His running mate, Mitt Romney, was expected to speak later Thursday in the convention's culmination.
A closer look at some of Ryan's remarks Wednesday at the GOP convention in Tampa, Fla.:
<four point fact check>

http://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-ryan-takes-factual-shortcuts-speech-070905927.html

RDreamer

Yeah, I'll give you that. It could have been a bit better, but it seems that part of the speech was pretty off the cuff rather than being directly as written. I think Warren did a slightly better job with that same message, though I'm sure hers was still far enough that people could pick things out.

Honestly if I was giving that sort of speech I would emphasize the two parts of America that should make this country and the American dream function, Individualism and Collectivism. It's through the balancing of those two thoughts and ideas that we can arrive at a successful society and a prosperous America. I would say that it's amazing when people do well, but sometimes we forget the forest from the trees. We forget about all the amazing things we've collectively done to make the journey that much better and take people that much higher. I'd say that when an entrepreneur gets up in the morning, yes it's their individual dreams that make them strive toward what they do, but it's the collective that embraces that dream and helps lift them up, especially in times of need. We're the ladder you climb. Sure, you individually make that choice and exert the effort to climb that ladder, but without it you wouldn't get quite as high.

That sort of thing, but whatever, that's just me.

eznark

Banned
but Akin is finished, McCaskil will win!

I called this. Obama is still on the ticket, meaning she is doomed.

Remember when we were told that Rasmussen could totally be trusted this time and that credible polls would bear him out?

We need to learn to shut our mouths and follow the narrative.

Wouldn't have helped. The issue was grammatical--had he said "you didn't build those," as he probably intended to, the meaning would've been obvious and much more difficult to distort.

Either the speech had a bad line or he flubbed the delivery (I suspect the latter). In the full context, it is abundantly clear that he is saying that everyone gets help from the broader community. But he said two phrases next to each other that were able to be taken out of context and blown up by the fake outrage machine.

It is a fake issue . . . but the GOP has little else to run on so they have to make the most of such flubs & fake issues.

Remember when we were told that Rasmussen could totally be trusted this time and that credible polls would bear him out?

We need to learn to shut our mouths and follow the narrative.

Oh I certainly believe he lost 7-10 points initially, but regained it. If this had happened in October I would say McCaskil would have a shot. But this story will be irrelevant by the time we reach October. MO deeply opposes Obama's policies, and McCaskil is directly tied to them.

The best thing about this from a republican standpoint? They aren't spending any money on the race. So instead of being forced to spend resources on what is still a safe seat, they can use it in MA and other states with senate/congress close elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom