• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Ouch

"Well, you know, Andrea, there's no delicate way to put this, but he lied," Cutter said. "He blatantly lied and brazenly. A number of different things have been fact checked by members of the media, independent fact checkers."

Cutter continued her pointed criticism later in the interview.

"Facts are powerful things. We didn't hear many of them last night," Cutter said. "And one thing that we didn't hear is one idea, one tangible idea of how to move the country forward. Paul Ryan was picked as Mitt Romney's running mate because of his intellectual leadership. He was an intellectual leader of the Republican Party. You couldn't prove that to anybody last night watching that speech."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/obama-campaign-on-ryan-rnc-speech-he-lied

eznark

Banned
Oh I certainly believe he lost 7-10 points initially, but regained it. If this had happened in October I would say McCaskil would have a shot. But this story will be irrelevant by the time we reach October. MO deeply opposes Obama's policies, and McCaskil is directly tied to them.

The best thing about this from a republican standpoint? They aren't spending any money on the race. So instead of being forced to spend resources on what is still a safe seat, they can use it in MA and other states with senate/congress close elections.

I think you'll start to see a fair bit of "non-affiliated" money flow into that race starting Monday.

Wouldn't have helped. The issue was grammatical--had he said "you didn't build those," as he probably intended to, the meaning would've been obvious and much more difficult to distort.
But he didn't, still I think you could easily work with those.

Except you're dealing with a group that wants to be offended.

Which is why you don't give them any freebies, also that statement applies to either site equally.

Yeah, I'll give you that. It could have been a bit better, but it seems that part of the speech was pretty off the cuff rather than being directly as written. I think Warren did a slightly better job with that same message, though I'm sure hers was still far enough that people could pick things out.

Honestly if I was giving that sort of speech I would emphasize the two parts of America that should make this country and the American dream function, Individualism and CollectivismAmerican Unity/Americanism. It's through the balancing of those two thoughts and ideas that we can arrive at a successful society and a prosperous America. I would say that it's amazing when people do well, but sometimes we forget the forest from the trees. We forget about all the amazing things we've collectivelyAmericanly done to make the journey that much better and take people that much higher. I'd say that when an entrepreneur gets up in the morning, yes it's their individual dreams that make them strive toward what they do, but it's the collectiveAmerica that embraces that dream and helps lift them up, especially in times of need. We're the ladder you climb. Sure, you individually make that choice and exert the effort to climb that ladder, but without it you wouldn't get quite as high.

That sort of thing, but whatever, that's just me.

Right, except that one minor word usage, but eh, it would be that big of a deal. lol

I do agree thats how it should be presetned.

eznark

Banned
What are the negatives with Martinez? I know absolutely nothing about her but that speech was a great entry to the national stage.

Kosmo

Banned
What are the negatives with Martinez? I know absolutely nothing about her but that speech was a great entry to the national stage.

She's a minority and a Republican. Therefore she's working against her own self-interest.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Why is collectivism a bad word now? I thought the Ron Paul crowd was being put down.

Dog whistle for Communism.

RDreamer

I kind of hate that this is true about American politics.

It's really bullshit. The word "individualism" is just fine and kosher, yet its counterpoint isn't? I mean, seriously, it's the combination of those two things that makes a society, in particular ours during the times it really did, function. The fact that we can emphasize one so much that we completely lose sight of the other is kind of deplorable.

Washington Post said:
The tensions come amid a debate within the GOP on how best to lure new voters. The nation’s shifting demographics have caused some Republican leaders to worry not only about the party’s future but about winning in November, particularly in key swing states such as Virginia and Nevada.

“The demographics race we’re losing badly,” said Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.). “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”
More here.

Wilsongt

Against same-sex marriage and civil unions. Against medical marijuana. The typical stuff.

Nothing outrageously horrible. A few small scandals here and there.

Um, it's not a sin to use a word that describes a leaning without taking it to extremes for the purpose of demonization.

Language should promote thought not inhibit it.

It's really bullshit. The word "individualism" is just fine and kosher, yet its counterpoint isn't? I mean, seriously, it's the combination of those two things that makes a society, in particular ours during the times it really did, function. The fact that we can emphasize one so much that we completely lose sight of the other is kind of deplorable.

Well Communists pretty much made the word associated with horrible death and suffering throughout the 20th century, it just doesn't have a good connotation regardless of the original meaning of the word.

Collectivization never led to anything good enough to make the word apply to in both directions issue free.

izakq

From Think Progress' live blog:

7:00: Herman Cain told Fox News that “the reason you do not have more black faces at this convention, they are working! They are not retired and they may not have the freedom to spend the time to try to go.”

On last night's The Daily Show, he repeated the same line as a response to why a poll showed 94% of blacks in favor for Obama.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/30/herman-cain-admits-romneys-welfare-attack-is-wrong/

But the best part of the interview was in part 3 of the series, as they talked about the line of attack Republicans use against Obama on the welfare waivers.

I'm tired of this bullshit within the Republican party! It's one thing to have moderate columnists constantly saying similar things, but to now have a prominent leader in the party endorse this line of reasoning too!?! Talk substance and quit calling all Republicans racist, Republicans.

Wilsongt

Lindsey Graham is such a tool. I hate him so much. I don't care who is running against him, that's who I am voting for. He has been successful in creating an angry white guy.

Lindsey Graham is pretty high up there on my dislike list, along with Jim Deminted and Nikki Haley. I dislike most of the politicians in this state, honestly...

daedalius

On last night's The Daily Show, he repeated the same line as a response to why a poll showed 94% of blacks in favor for Obama.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/30/herman-cain-admits-romneys-welfare-attack-is-wrong/

But the best part of the interview was in part 3 of the series, as they talked about the line of attack Republicans use against Obama on the welfare waivers.

At least by the end of the extended segment, Cain admitted he was wrong about the welfare work requirements. His(Cain's) mental gymnastics during that interview were literally legendary.

pigeon

Banned
"Collective bargaining."

Well, now you're talking about unions. You may as well set a church on fire.

Seriously, it's a problem with American political discourse. This is actually why I liked OWS -- it didn't actually produce any new rhetoric, but it did produce some new vocabulary that doesn't cause spasms in anybody who remembers the Cold War. Sure, the 99% is just the proletariat, but we don't have to tell them that until they've already voted.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It bugs me when perfectly cromulent words get pushed off the table because they go against a political agenda. Republicans get an advantage in messaging because they work to narrow the playing field in this manner and Democrats have to beat around the bush.

It bugs me when perfectly cromulent words get pushed off the table because they go against a political agenda. Republicans get an advantage in messaging because they work to narrow the playing field in this manner and Democrats have to beat around the bush.

Look you can't embiggen people when words are tainted like that one is.

eznark

Banned

Aren't democrats doing the same thing with "liberal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom