• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

I'm not totally convinced Clinton can win Ohio at this point, but since she doesn't need to just keeping it close enough to make Trump sweat there is good enough for me.
If the polls show her up 2-3% in Ohio by election day, her ground game will guarantee her the state. If she didn't have much of an infrastructure (and Trump had some semblance of an operation), I wouldn't feel so confident.

From that NFL article, I'm shocked, just absolutely SHOCKED that Richie Incognito supports Trump. No one could have ever guessed that one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Apparently Pence's performance has Trump aides saying "I've never seen him more pissed off."

God is real guys.

Futureman

538 has an article up saying that Trump is currently doing worse among white voters than Romney was at this point. WOW. His bread and butter melting away?

Apparently Pence's performance has Trump aides saying "I've never seen him more pissed off."

God is real guys.

I think we should all start pretending that we thought Pence won in a landslide. Just go onto Reddit/Twitter and admit defeat last night and say how polished and presidential Pence looked with his big hands, great hair and winning temperament.

Grief.exe

538 has an article up saying that Trump is currently doing worse among white voters than Romney was at this point. WOW. His bread and butter melting away?

Educated whites finally waking up and fleeing the party.
White woman are also not voting Trump.

HylianTom

Banned
White women! Woo!

I think we should all start pretending that we thought Pence won in a landslide. Just go onto Reddit/Twitter and admit defeat last night and say how polished and presidential Pence looked with his big hands, great hair and winning temperament.
He won bigly. He had the best words.. and he didn't use any of them to defend Trump.

Holmes

Educated whites finally waking up and fleeing the party.
White woman are also not voting Trump.
I think so too. The only downside though is that this is happening at a slower pace than non-college educated/rural whites leaving the Democratic party, which can leave an slight opening for Republicans in the near future if they clean up their act.

Grief.exe

I think so too. The only downside though is that this is happening at a slower pace than non-college educated/rural whites leaving the Democratic party, which can leave an slight opening for Republicans in the near future if they clean up their act.

Let's be honest with ourselves, the reformation of the Republican party is essential to the continuation of this democracy. We cannot continue on like this indefinitely.

Let's be honest with ourselves, the reformation of the Republican party is essential to the continuation of this democracy. We cannot continue on like this indefinitely.
Agree wholeheartedly. I'll take an L in 2020 or 2024 if it means we have two sane parties.

The political revolution in this country happens when Southern black voters make up a strong enough voting bloc to flip Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia while locking in gains in Virginia and North Carolina. Same with Hispanics in Texas and Arizona. If the GOP is smart they can blunt this by not being racist asshats, but we'll see.

We shouldn't be one bad Democrat candidate away from total disaster. That's not at all a healthy place to be in. Our country's collective average life span is going to suffer if we all have to stress out about (in some cases literally) life or death every four years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Been saying that for a while now. Democracy doesn't work when you only have one functioning party.

Holmes

Reformation, reconstruction, whatever you wanna call it. I'm inclined to agree, but there would have to be some big changes to the party, and that doesn't come from within, it comes from outside - the party's voters. The RNC can try to embellish the party all it wants, but if primary voters constantly opt for the piece of shit candidates, it'll stay in the wilderness. And it almost messed up many times in 2012, Santorum and Gingrich were close to becoming the nominees are certain points.

iammeiam

God is real guys.

He managed Trumpian levels of lying while appearing Presidential; Trump only pulled off one of the two and had to be incredibly salty Pence didn't defend him harder.

This hopefully means an even angrier and more defensive Trump on Sunday.

Holmes

Agree wholeheartedly. I'll take an L in 2020 or 2024 if it means we have two sane parties.

The political revolution in this country happens when Southern black voters make up a strong enough voting bloc to flip Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia while locking in gains in Virginia and North Carolina. Same with Hispanics in Texas and Arizona. If the GOP is smart they can blunt this by not being racist asshats, but we'll see.
Well, I don't know about South Carolina and Mississippi, but I do think the point of no return for Republicans is when Democrats can compete in Georgia and Arizona from the outset while having North Carolina locked up (Virginia is already a lost cause for them). Iowa and Ohio aren't enough to balance that out.

I was so close to not worrying too too much about the election in 2008 and at least being glad Bush was gone and I could watch the President speak without cringing.

Then McCain picked his running mate.

Kid Heart

If the polls show her up 2-3% in Ohio by election day, her ground game will guarantee her the state. If she didn't have much of an infrastructure (and Trump had some semblance of an operation), I wouldn't feel so confident.

True. I'm just a bit worried if the polls will hold as such until November. We'll see though I suppose.

Reformation, reconstruction, whatever you wanna call it. I'm inclined to agree, but there would have to be some big changes to the party, and that doesn't come from within, it comes from outside - the party's voters. The RNC can try to embellish the party all it wants, but if primary voters constantly opt for the piece of shit candidates, it'll stay in the wilderness. And it almost messed up many times in 2012, Santorum and Gingrich were close to becoming the nominees are certain points.
Also I would say the rightward lurch has greatly hurt moderate, establishment candidates like McCain and Romney. They don't need to go full stupid and nominate someone like Trump to shoot themselves in the foot.

Anecdotally I can't tell you how many times I heard in 08 the sentiment of "I would have voted for McCain 4-8 years ago, but he's changed." They tried to slap the maverick label on him even though he himself had shed it when he decided to run for president again. Similarly Romney would have been more formidable if he'd been allowed to stay true to the views he held on LGBT issues, abortion, gun control, climate change etc. when he was governor. He basically turned into Generic R and the problem for the GOP is that even Generic R really sucks as a candidate.

Holmes said:
Well, I don't know about South Carolina and Mississippi, but I do think the point of no return for Republicans is when Democrats can compete in Georgia and Arizona from the outset while having North Carolina locked up (Virginia is already a lost cause for them). Iowa and Ohio aren't enough to balance that out.
SC/MS wouldn't happen until much later. Similar to MI/PA for the GOP.

blackw0lf

This is interesting

http://www.gallup.com/poll/196064/t...ction 2016&g_medium=newsfeed&g_campaign=tiles

The 58% of voters describing Hillary Clinton's views as liberal or very liberal is similar to Barack Obama's 60% in 2012 and 62% in 2008. Voters were somewhat less likely to perceive John Kerry in 2004 (48%) and Bill Clinton in 1992 (42%) as liberal

U.S. voters are most likely to describe Clinton as liberal (31%) or very liberal (27%). One in four consider her a political moderate (25%), while much smaller percentages describe her as conservative (9%) or very conservative (3%).

While about half of registered voters describe Clinton's political views as "a lot more liberal" or "somewhat more liberal" than their own, they are divided as to whether Trump is more conservative (35%) or more liberal (31%) than they are..

Contrary to what her left critics say, majority of people view Hillary as liberal, similar numbers to Obama

Diablos

How the fuck is McGinty losing in PA. No way. She's not Strickland. Philly will carry her over the top. I refuse to believe otherwise

Then McCain picked his running mate.

The damage this act did still hasn't been fully realized or assessed in a proper historical sense. It planted the seed for nearly a decade of ineffective legislative activity and it grew into the open alt-right sewer and candidate we see today.

The GOP needs to nominate a transformational figure to bring them forward but their primary process explicitly prevents such a thing.

Last night reminded me that "There you go again" is my least favorite debate zinger.

Reagan said in response to Jimmy Carter saying that Reagan didn't support Medicare... And Jimmy Carter was exactly right.

Holmes

How the fuck is McGinty losing in PA. No way. She's not Strickland. Philly will carry her over the top. I refuse to believe otherwise
That seems to be the general consensus. Q numbers for PA Senate have been all over the place, from one extreme to the other.

Grief.exe

Why is Johnson dropping so hard all of a sudden?

This was guaranteed to happen.

Historically, including third party candidates in polling just soaks up undecided who aren't ready to pick. After the first debates, people start fully paying attention to the race and come to their decision. Watch Gary's support continue to drop.

Nordicus

It just hit me that in this case, Trump's crazy fanbase who think he can do no wrong, may only make him angrier on social media because they can not stop praising Pence for his debate performance...

This is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom