• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think nothing enrages me more post-election than the "we need to come together under trump" or "we need to respect trump supporters' votes and not attack them" or whatever the fuck. I wonder what these worthless enables would say if confronted by one of the numerous people that has been abused by an enabled Trump supporter or some poor child that is now terrified for his or her well-being because that man is elected into power. Fuck me it makes me so angry, almost angrier than the actual reports of abuse I see on Twitter. These people are literally worthless.

Use that anger to fuel you and help the democrats win elections.

What does Trump do with his assets and how does he avoid conflict of interest charges?

If his kids take over the business, how does he not talk to them about it and not be influenced by them? It's basically impossible for him to not have a conflict of interest.

Spoilers: He's going to rob the United States like Maduro robbed Venezuela and Putin robbed Russia.

Warren G. Harding is going to be off the hook after this presidency.

Hillary fucked up and is boring and I also think her vagina hurt her with men. She is overly cautious. Has baggage. And scandals largely imagined but perception is reality.

That doesn't change the schizophrenia of this post-mortem in a quest to absolve the white people who voted for Trump's bigotry and to feel better about how it will be fine next time.

This is actually kind of bizarre. This isn't on Crab. But the array of messages. Be more charismatic. Policy doesn't matter. But discuss it more. But only for white people. And still get black people out there.

It's not that complicated. Yes, be charismatic. Give off a vibe that is strong and one that truly gets people excited. Be Obama. Be Trump. Be Bill. Be Reagan. Be Bush 2000. Don't be Gore. Don't be Kerry. And now don't be Hillary.

Have an overall message/catchphrase, yes. Hope and Change. Make America Great Again.

But also know where to focus more specific messages based on the electorate you are talking to. So yes, some things in an urban city will focus more on minorities and social issues while rural will leave a lot of that at home. Nationwide, just keep it broad and basic. Economy, security, optimism, something new to offer.

What does Trump do with his assets and how does he avoid conflict of interest charges?

If his kids take over the business, how does he not talk to them about it and not be influenced by them? It's basically impossible for him to not have a conflict of interest.

The media is going to kill him over the "kids will run the business through a blind trust" bullshit, once he's in office

It's not that complicated. Yes, be charismatic. Give off a vibe that is strong and one that truly gets people excited. Be Obama. Be Trump. Be Bill. Be Reagan.

Have an overall message/catchphrase, yes. Hope and Change. Make America Great Again.

But also know where to focus more specific messages based on the electorate you are talking to. So yes, some things in an urban city will focus more on minorities and social issues while rural will leave a lot of that at home. Nationwide, just keep it broad and basic. Economy, security, optimism, something new to offer.

Booker 2020 got it.

This isn't 2008. Where the economy was on a precipice. And hope and change was there. And Bush. This is 8 years later. Shit's still bad. Obama got them. Obama got them. Cool let's make it 2008 again.

Totakeke

This is a strawman, and it really seems like this is because we're still in the Hillary did no wrong, white people are at fault mode. So any justification is brought up to support this view.

Bill Clinton can talk policy with charisma. If a candidate can't they don't belong at the top of the ticket.

Actually, anyone thinking that white people are not at fault means the person is probably still in the denial phase. Hillary has faults, another democratic candidate could have won narrowly, yes. That does not mean that Trump hasn't come so far with his brand of politics. What are you going to do in the next four years when they find a more competent demagogue? Scandals and lies do not matter.

Again. It's Trump.

This isn't 2008. Where the economy was on a precipice. And hope and change was there. And Bush. This is 8 years later. Shit's still bad. Obama got them. Obama got them. Cool let's make it 2008 again.

He problem is the average American doesn't feel like it has recovered. They aren't living as great as the economy dictates they should. Obama technically fixed the economy, but the effects did not go to the middle and working class.

Hillary fucked up and is boring and I also think her vagina hurt her with men. She is overly cautious. Has baggage. And scandals largely imagined but perception is reality.

That doesn't change the schizophrenia of this post-mortem in a quest to absolve the white people who voted for Trump's bigotry and to feel better about how it will be fine next time.

I don't see anyone absolving them. How can we push them back if we don't win elections?

Totakeke

https://twitter.com/CASOSvote/status/796885789502124032

California still has more than 4 million ballots to count.

Send some to Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Nate Cohn tweeted as well.

nt3s0Fr.png

Kusagari

I don't think anyone in here is absolving them.

We're just recognizing we need the rust belt voters who voted for it to win. That's just the fact until states like Texas become purple.

I don't see calls for pushback. Only appeasement. So that then maybe they can stop voting explicitly for or at least with bigotry.
He problem is the average American doesn't feel like it has recovered. They aren't living as great as the economy dictates they should. Obama technically fixed the economy, but the effects did not go to the middle and working class.
That's what I'm getting at though. The counterfactual third term Obama wins imo. But not thanks to these people again.

Also we need a new thread title.

kirblar

The average voter voted for Hillary.

This is a specific subset of rural white voters.

Gruco

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I think a slightly differently run Clinton campaign still wins. Like, it wasn't irredeemable. But even that slightly differently run Clinton campaign would have been a 3 point win over Trump at best. I don't want a 3 point win over Trump; if that's all we can do we're in a sorry, sorry state regardless.

Trump activated a huge swathe of voters who deeply cared about his alpha power displays and signs of cultural solidarity. This includes both overt racism and economic populism, among other things

I think the ugliest truth of the election is the Trump's bombast and nonsense actually made him an effective candidate. So, we are in a sorry state, regardless.

This is actually kind of bizarre. This isn't on Crab. But the array of messages. Be more charismatic. Policy doesn't matter. But discuss it more. But only for white people. And still get black people out there.

It's a lot of people talking online in the immediate aftermath of an unprecedented horror show. Ain't going to be coherent. We all need to try to make sense out of it while fitting someone else's actions to our own respective internal logics.

So yeah, it's schizophrenic.

I struggle with this point. I don't want to excuse racism. I don't want to reward racism. I don't want to call the results the election anything other than racism. And I certainly don't want to lose PA, MI and WI again. And that's a tough square to circle

Obama prevented a depression or deeper recession. But yes, jobs never got back really to the middle class/rural working class. Wall St wrecked their retirements. They didn't see the results of those great job numbers or GDP growth.

I was speaking more to his overall charisma and excitement he could generate.

Trump just sold a bill of goods. I doubt he can see it through. But the point is people were excited, were catered to, and felt it was worth a shot after decades of hell culminating with the recession.

Can I suggest we not use "purity test" as an alias for "people with different moral sandlines to mine" ? The disdainful use of the phrase by people making purity evaluations on their own metrics is just weird. There's nothing wrong with having moral standards for what you want politically.

pigeon

Banned
Somebody said earlier -- thread moving fast -- that Obama was a great candidate because minorities could trust him even when he talked down racism to win whites.

It's a depressingly elegant argument.

East Lake

Actually, anyone thinking that white people are not at fault means the person is probably still in the denial phase. Hillary has faults, another democratic candidate could have won narrowly, yes. That does not mean that Trump hasn't come so far with his brand of politics. What are you going to do in the next four years when they find a more competent demagogue? Scandals and lies do not matter.

Again. It's Trump.
Like I said a while ago, white people are at fault isn't a particularly interesting observation because it doesn't fully account for the loss. The 8 years of racism building up didn't translate into high turnout.

damisa

The media is going to kill him over the "kids will run the business through a blind trust" bullshit, once he's in office

Former mayor Bloomberg has a blind trust set up for his business while mayor of New York. No one cared about it. They won't care about Trump's either.

The key isn't to demonize those that didn't vote, is how can we get them to vote for us next time? Heck right now it doesn't matter if Bernie would have won or not. We need to build strategies to win.

Who thinks that a federal weed tax is a viable option to fund our investment into the rust belt?

Boke1879

Somebody said earlier -- thread moving fast -- that Obama was a great candidate because minorities could trust him even when he talked down racism to win whites.

It's a depressingly elegant argument.

Because we knew why he had to do it. Minute he started talking about it they'd bring up the race card

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The key isn't to demonize those that didn't vote, is how can we get them to vote for us next time? Heck right now it doesn't matter if Bernie would have won or not. We need to build strategies to win.

Who thinks that a federal weed tax is a viable option to fund our investment into the rust belt?

Guilt is a powerful motivator.

Fuck, Religion was built on it.

kirblar

Can I suggest we not use "purity test" as an alias for "people with different moral sandlines to mine" ? The disdainful use of the phrase by people making purity evaluations on their own metrics is just weird. There's nothing wrong with having moral standards for what you want politically.
The term is valid. It's what happens when you go into a downward spiral and turn yourself into a protest party.

If your moral standards leave only 10% of voters accessible to you, your standards are a problem.

Former mayor Bloomberg has a blind trust set up for his business while mayor of New York. No one cared about it. They won't care about Trump's either.

There is a VAST difference between having a blind trust, and having a blind trust RUN by your kids. Hell, that's a fucking ovymoron. A blind trust like Bloomberg is what he should do

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just checked out the anti-Trump protest in front of the Trump tower in Vancouver. It was small and low energy, but that's to be expected.

Totakeke

Like I said a while ago, white people are at fault isn't a particularly interesting observation because it doesn't fully account for the loss. The 8 years of racism building up didn't translate into high turnout.

You'll have to elaborate on what you think caused Hillary's loss.

Gruco

Banned
The divergence of the popular and electoral votes in this cycle are uncomfortably extreme. The electoral college exists, but this is a serious problem for American democracy.

As much as the story is focusing on the Democrats and their own shortcomings (this is important because it is actionable), the bigger story IMO is a broad failure of american democracy on many levels, and I hope that stays in the forefront of people's minds over the next four years.

She's... going to win the popular vote by almost exactly what polls said she would.

That's cruel irony. They were right. Just... not in the ways that we wanted.

This is the problem when California is nicer than the other states.

Is it hyperbolic to worry if we're going to have elections in 4 years

Nah.

Trump LOVES China and Putin and Saddam so it's a huge concern.

Hopefully he'll be too lazy to do it and will spend all of his time robbing the government instead.

Crocodile

Because we knew why he had to do it. Minute he started talking about it they'd bring up the race card

You could tell there were many times Obama wanted to hulk out but he couldn't lest he be painted as an "Angry Black Man" for the rest of his term. As a black dude I (and you) could 100% sympathize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom