• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
A consistent theme of his twitter rants is a tacit admission of his own powerlessness, not knowing things he should be getting from intel briefs or acting like he's just a third party observer as in this case.

He'll deflect blame in any direction in the most spurious way possible.
Also admitting to crimes or faults of his own through needless boasting.

If he would just shut the fuck up every once in a while he wouldn't be in half the trouble he's in.

Constitutional Convention Fanfic:

The thing is, scumbags like Jim DeMint have their own plots for Constitutional Conventions (I have seen signs along the highways about his little dream...)

A consistent theme of his twitter rants is a tacit admission of his own powerlessness, not knowing things he should be getting from intel briefs or acting like he's just a third party observer as in this case.

He'll deflect blame in any direction in the most spurious way possible.

But he's arguing the same self-defeating way that his mouthbreather Core do: the kind of talk that gets you laughed at and in trouble by smarter/more powerful people. The fact he gets away with it is why he's doing it and why they revere him so. Thing is, until he's catching hell for it legally/constitutionally, it's just going to continue being a horrific snowballing show to sicken the rest of us.

Between the Supreme Court scare and healthcare, boy it sure is great living in this hell brought to you by people who couldn't give a shit about voting and poor dumb fucks who love their guns at the expense of all life in the country that aren't millionaires.

Between the Supreme Court scare and healthcare, boy it sure is great living in this hell brought to you by people who couldn't give a shit about voting and poor dumb fucks who love their guns at the expense of all life in the country that aren't millionaires.

But remember, people on here have said that America deserves this.

You guys are going to have a stroke if you worry about Kennedy retiring for the next 1-2 years. Rumors of his retirement are going to pop up all the time until he actually does retire.

He's going to retire under Trump. He's made it clear he doesn't want to die on the bench and doesn't like the idea of people being on the bench in their advanced age.

It's likely not happening this year (way too much evidence and it's kinda late), but it will happen, and rocking back and forth sucking your thumbs for 2 years isn't going to actually do anything of good for anyone.

Teggy

Yes, Donald, Obama didn't bring more attention to Russian meddling because the didn't want to hurt Hillary. You've got it all figured out.

I feel like each week is driving me insane when it comes to politics. This talk about the SC is making me feel hopeless that we can get the GOP out of power in 2020.

Would Obama releasing Russia details really stop the media from airing rallies, or bringing surrogates on shows, or salivating over hacked emails, or calling him a Populist for the economically anxious? Being a possible rapist and admitted assaulter is probably more of a repellant factor for news orgs than "complicated" foreign affairs stuff, and that wasn't enough to pull the plug. (Though I guess calling the IC Nazis and THEN getting elected is a little different, though this is all unknowable.)

Chumley

Banned
I can't believe anyone currently living still thinks anything is outside the bounds of what Republicans are willing to do. The Democratic Party could see people lined up and executed and still say shit like "well, that may have been an isolated incident"

Both health care bills offer refundable tax credits which mean people get the money to cover their premiums the year *after* they've already paid for it, correct?

I'd feel a lot better about these bills if they keep the payment schedule the same.

It's also a side-effect of weekends being comparative wastelands of news developments. Golf/etc, and the annoying news policy of Urgent Revelations butonlyonweekdayevenings.

Both health care bills offer refundable tax credits which mean people get the money to cover their premiums the year *after* they've already paid for it, correct?

I'd feel a lot better about these bills if they keep the payment schedule the same.
I mean, technically that may be how it works in terms of filing, but at the time of payment you do get the discount. If it turns out the following April that that calculation was wrong, they will charge you the difference.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Obamacare gives you an advance on the tax credit, monthly, straight to the Insurance company. If your estimates on income are off, you may get money back, or owe money.

This respite from oppo helps, I think. People get inundated with information and stop paying attention to details; sometimes they just get bored. We've had a long enough break so that anything that gets released on Monday will get heavy attention.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Republicans win when people think they can afford to vote R. Democrats win when people are sick of the Republican president.

All the politalk like this is some sort of complex conflict has been a big waste of everyone's time. The Trump administration will have to lose support for the Democrats to win, and the only way for any of that to happen is for them to carry on. Dems can keep looking under every cushion, they'll find nothing. The most important thing for them right now is to stop fighting and just tail Trump and the GOP on the impacts of everything they do on people. They have to stop thinking about strategies, candidates, districts, and so on, it's all just fuel for poliwonk bloggers who are just glad to have a job and suffer from tunnel vision and it completely distracts everyone, putting the focus on illusory and overblown party divisions instead of on actual politics.

There is no secret kung-fu technique or Buddha reincarnation to find, no revolution to start, none of that.

Democrats just need to speak directly to people about how they are negatively impacted by anything the GOP is doing or has done. It's boring, it's hard strenuous work, but that's how it is and how it has always been.

Ogodei

Republicans win when people think they can afford to vote R. Democrats win when people are sick of the Republican president.

All the politalk like this is some sort of complex conflict has been a big waste of everyone's time. The Trump administration will have to lose support for the Democrats to win, and the only way for any of that to happen is for them to carry on. Dems can keep looking under every cushion, they'll find nothing. The most important thing for them right now is to stop fighting and just tail Trump and the GOP on the impacts of everything they do on people. They have to stop thinking about strategies, candidates, districts, and so on, this is all just fuel for poliwonk bloggers who are just glad to have a job and suffer from tunnel vision, and just speak directly to people about how they are negatively impacted by anything the GOP is doing or has done. It's boring, it's hard strenuous work, but that's how it is.

That's all they have to do, there is no secret kung-fu technique or Buddha reincarnation to find.

This assumes that the two parties will remain in equilibrium. They have been relatively balanced since the 90s, but that hasn't been the case historically.

Chumley

Banned

All the politalk like this is some sort of complex conflict has been a big waste of everyone's time. The Trump administration will have to lose support for the Democrats to win, and the only way for any of that to happen is for them to carry on. Dems can keep looking under every cushion, they'll find nothing. The most important thing for them right now is to stop fighting and just tail Trump and the GOP on the impacts of everything they do on people. They have to stop thinking about strategies, candidates, districts, and so on, it's all just fuel for poliwonk bloggers who are just glad to have a job and suffer from tunnel vision and it completely distracts everyone, putting the focus on illusory and overblown party divisions instead of on actual politics.

There is no secret kung-fu technique or Buddha reincarnation to find, no revolution to start, none of that.

Democrats just need to speak directly to people about how they are negatively impacted by anything the GOP is doing or has done. It's boring, it's hard strenuous work, but that's how it is and how it has always been.

The divisions aren't overblown. They're real.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This assumes that the two parties will remain in equilibrium. They have been relatively balanced since the 90s, but that hasn't been the case historically.

The Democrats' success will depend on the Republicans' and Trump's failures. That's where the laser focus has to be, and all the communications need to be on that, not on the party itself.

The divisions aren't overblown. They're real.

They're real because they're overblown. A two-party system isn't about one party's own platform, it's always about the other's. Focusing inward will just give the Republicans more space. This is what we have been seeing through 2016 and it continues now and will continue as long as the Democrats don't focus entirely on the Republicans and Trump's actions and impacts on the people.

I mean, technically that may be how it works in terms of filing, but at the time of payment you do get the discount. If it turns out the following April that that calculation was wrong, they will charge you the difference.

Sorry I think I worded my post poorly. I meant do the Senate and House bills make you pay up front and get the money later(not the ACA).

Obamacare gives you an advance on the tax credit, monthly, straight to the Insurance company. If your estimates on income are off, you may get money back, or owe money.

And the AHCA gets it back to you later?

edit:
nm, the AHCA use advanceable, refundable tax credits.

With college, its mostly because it is a bunch of 18 year olds taking out loans and not understanding how it will really effect them. I was one of these.

To a degree, yeah, but the 18 year olds don't really have a choice but to borrow. There's no difference in tuition across different fields (for the most part) and since the feds will loan you anything to pay for it, universities will keep upping their asking prices. Why wouldn't a college ask for the moon in tuition? The students won't be paying it (yet).

I read some state was trying a thing where if enough graduates from your university default on student loans (that is, students at your university don't go on to make enough money with the degree you gave them to make payments) then the school gets penalized. The intent is that the schools should then stop increasing their tuition since every increase only adds to the risk that future graduates will default. Not sure how it went (or if it was even implemented).

Hope not... that would really eat into people's income until they get it back

That's the idea. Poor sick people can get a tax credit, but it requires them to pay an unreasonable amount of their income for Insurance year round. What's more realistic, they eat the massive cost the first year and get the tax credit, or they just go without insurance?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Your accelerationism is dangerous

Give me a break with that McCarthyism, I'm not an accelerationist if I'm saying Democrats should stop bickering and focus on what the Republicans and Trump are doing every day and communicate the implications to the people.

Hope not... that would really eat into people's income until they get it back

Apologize for the confusion. According to this NPR article, the AHCA's tax credits are in advance:

Kodjak: Both the ACA and the AHCA use advanceable, refundable tax credits. That means the government each month sends the tax credit amount to your insurance company.

We refer to the Obamacare financial assistance as a "subsidy" in part because the amount fluctuates and is based on your income – the idea is to limit your health costs to a specific percentage of your income. In addition, under the ACA, there are payments to insurers to help cover the co-payments and deductibles of lower-income people

I was just hung up on the difference between a "subsidy" and "refundable tax credit".

"refundable tax credit".

The proper term is Freedom Units.

I was under the impression the AHCA changed it so you get a tax credit at the beginning of the year assuming you had insurance the entire year before and were expected to use it to subsidize your insurance yourself. Which would literally result in people just pocketing the credit and using it to pay "more important" bills.

Give me a break with that McCarthyism, I'm not an accelerationist if I'm saying Democrats should stop bickering and focus on what the Republicans and Trump are doing every day and communicate the implications to the people.
The phrasing of your post and the context made it seem like you were saying the Dems should just stop fighting Trump and let his policies roll over those that need our advocacy more than ever. Surely you can see how I'd construe that.

Damn, people already planning Kennedy's retirement party and renting a hearse for Ginsburg. Talk about accelerationism.

I'm amazed at people's ability to take random rumors that aren't even particularly new and weigh them more than several things he's actually doing right now that show he's not planning on retiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom