• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm amazed at people's ability to take random rumors that aren't even particularly new and weigh them more than several things he's actually doing right now that show he's not planning on retiring.

It's also a dumb rumor. He's an old man! If you just keep posting articles every 6 months that say you think he'll retire "soon" then eventually you're right!

Mr.Mike

DDIGcOXXYAA-cMt.jpg:large

New Hampshire really confuses me. They elected a Republican governor... but evidently liked his Democratic predecessor enough to give her the Senate seat.* Its competitive first district gave Trump the W but then booted a Republican incumbent, so it has a completely Democratic Congressional delegation. Do they really believe in checks and balances and split-ticket voting?

*Ayotte may very well have retained the seat if she'd contested it and demanded a recount. As far as I can tell, she made the race even closer by pissing off everybody - first endorsing Trump and then revoking her endorsement. Judging by how Trumpers performed in other states, she might've won if she'd never commented on the tape.

Love how Zuckerberg describes truck stops as though he's explaining them to a five-year-old. Hell, they may be new to him.

Grexeno

Watching Mark Zuckerberg try to scoot unnoticed into politics is like watching Godzilla try to walk through a city without damaging any buildings.

New Hampshire really confuses me. They elected a Republican governor... but evidently liked his Democratic predecessor enough to give her the Senate seat.* Its competitive first district gave Trump the W but then booted a Republican incumbent, so it has a completely Democratic Congressional delegation. Do they really believe in checks and balances and split-ticket voting?

As someone who lives next to NH, and drove through there when the primaries were going on, they are a bunch of whack jobs. There are tons of people who loved the idea of a businessman for President--I drove through Manchester and there was a massive TRUMP billboard all the way back in like July of 2015--but were largely democrats. They also seem to hate incumbents, political restlessness I guess?

More evidence why he'll flop. He thinks he's being whimsical and relatable, but that paragraph embodies the remote technocrat who has little experience with actual people. And he lacks the personality to overcome that obstacle.

EDIT: Someone contact True Moderate Darling David Souter for clarification regarding his home state's political bipolarity. He lives off the grid, so you'll have to write a letter or rent one of those planes that sky writes.

Cant think of a better way to get back at conservatives than to have Colbert become president. It would be fucking glorious.

Please no more celebrities, even Democratic ones. Just let Oprah endorse Kamala Harris and give her a two-hour segment on Super Soul Soaker Sunday and we'll be good.

Pryce

What pisses me off about zuckerburg is that he's not even serious about politics. Run for a congressional seat and win. Then the senate, or Governor. Do what Arnold and Franken did, at least.

One has to wonder, if he was actually allowed, if Arnie be president right now

Given the choice, I'd take Arnold over literally every single other Republican politician that is currently alive right now.

daedalius

One has to wonder, if he was actually allowed, if Arnie be president right now

Given the choice, I'd take Arnold over literally every single other Republican politician that is currently alive right now.

Arnie has been pretty awesome of late with his focus on climate change. I don't think the Republican Party of today would really accept him.

UraMallas

That's the most awkward description of a truck stop I've ever seen

Yeah, it makes me feel incredibly awkward. Granted I'm related to a bunch of truckers, but his description is so childish that it feels like he's patronizing the reader.

TBF, that truck stop in particular is a lot like how he describes it. I don't think he's trying to explain what a truck stop is but what makes this truck stop in particular different. Being from Iowa, I've been to it many times and it's pretty BA.

TBF, that truck stop in particular is a lot like how he describes it. I don't think he's trying to explain what a truck stop is but what makes this truck stop in particular different. Being from Iowa, I've been to it many times and it's pretty BA.

Other than see a dentist, and maybe get a haircut, there's nothing in that list that's particularly unique. I'd expect at least 75% of that list is found at nearly every truck stop in the country.

Next he should go to one of the dive truck stops and painstakingly describe the "unorthodox members of the gig economy offering their services to the truckers in the parking lot."

Zolo

I'm amazed at people's ability to take random rumors that aren't even particularly new and weigh them more than several things he's actually doing right now that show he's not planning on retiring.

It's too bad the Supreme Court wasn't a major talking point last year because even if Kennedy doesn't plan on retiring this term (I personally doubt it), the chances of not losing at least one more justice is certainly against us.

It's too bad the Supreme Court wasn't a major talking point last year because even if Kennedy doesn't plan on retiring this term (I personally doubt it), the chances of not losing at least one more justice is certainly against us.

I don't doubt for a minute Trump is replacing Kennedy. It won't be this year, but it'll happen in the next 3 years.

What's kind of a silver lining is he might only get Kennedy, if the liberals can hang on. And after that, a two term Democrat from 2020-2028 could very likely replace Thomas and bring balance back to the force. Along with Ruth, Breyer and possibly Alito.

UraMallas

Other than see a dentist, and maybe get a haircut, there's nothing in that list that's particularly unique. I'd expect at least 75% of that list is found at nearly every truck stop in the country.

Fair point. There's a lot more than that there. I guess since I'm aware of the place, I took those as examples.

Next he should go to one of the dive truck stops and painstakingly describe the "unorthodox members of the gig economy offering their services to the truckers in the parking lot."

He should VR being homeless and tell us about that.

Zolo

"Created Domestic Violence and Victim Services Division"

Oh cool. I live in a mostly crime free small town in Mississippi, but I know there's an issue with domestic abuse around here.

Shit, my mind went to bad places when I read "Mississippi" and "hood" at the same time.

Lol, true.

"Created Domestic Violence and Victim Services Division"

Oh cool. I live in a mostly crime free small town in Mississippi, but I know there's an issue with domestic abuse around here.

Yeah, I live in Oxford and our big crimes are college related (party drugs and sexual assault sometimes) but I'm sure it's an issue in most places whether people know it or not.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't doubt that Zuckerberg is actually trying to get a better perspective on what's happening in the US, he knows well a crisis is coming as a result of technological advancement. I think making it personal is a mistake, he'd have to quit FB and start something new to show how to fix problems in society to get credit. I'm not sure he's willing to do so though, I don't think he has the patience at this point after Trump won, he probably thinks he could win in 2020.

The phrasing of your post and the context made it seem like you were saying the Dems should just stop fighting Trump and let his policies roll over those that need our advocacy more than ever. Surely you can see how I'd construe that.

I'm saying that it is inevitable that people will get real sick of the Republicans one way or the other, that the idea that the Democrat party is in free fall and that the loss of 2016 is a mystery that will require some detective work or a revolution to undo is bull. Politics are not as complicated as pundits and bloggers have made it seem; they get paid to stretch everything to 24/7 news cycles, they survive on that, they do it instinctively. Obama left on high approval ratings, but the Democrats lost, which not surprising after eight years in power; people eventually feel they can afford "change", it's typical the world over. Obama's ratings were an indication that would actually happen, not the opposite.

There has been more material than most opposition political parties across the world would hope to ever have, yet Democrats are walking around with interrogation points over their heads, or at least that's how they come across, because of pointless bickering over divisions that are no bigger than you'd find in your average party.

All they have to do is look at what the administration and the Rs are doing, tell people how those things are negatively impacting them through effective campaigns, and keep tailing them all the way into each election. They'll win some and lose some, but the real easy to grab opportunity will inevitably come. Like I said before, in a two-party system it's all about the other party, not your own. If they focus on the Republicans and Trump they'll be able to grab that opportunity, if they focus on illusory introspection the Republicans will fill the void. Period. No other ways about it.

Kevinroc

https://twitter.com/mpesce/status/878786060968378369

Wonder what the US insurance companies are going to do when their revenues collapse, as people can no longer afford health policies.

Wonder what the hospitals and other health providers will do when, without insurance, health care becomes too expensive for most.

Wonder what the big pharma firms will do when no one can afford to fill their prescriptions.

Wonder what US employers will do when their staff take a lot more sick days to deal with complaints too expensive to treat quickly.

Finally, I wonder how long it will take for all of the above to become unmistakably clear over the distracting cries of 'fake news!'.

This is nothing less than a strategic bombing of the most profitable part of the US economy. A lot more will come down in that wreckage.

Apologies for using an economic rationalist argument to debunk this bill -- but it's the only language proponents claim to understand.

What the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act was to the 1930s, this bill will be for the 2020s: bringing the worst possible economic impacts.

zuckerberg is such a fake piece of shit.

goddamn we don't need another clueless billionaire asshole as president after trump.

any silicon valley tech bro should be automatically disqualified from running for president

kirblar

I just got a GOP delegate ad on my door.

Running on McAulliffe's coattails, highlighting high % of bills he's voted on that have been signed into law and with the word bipartisan plastered everywhere.

They're definitely worried.

zuckerberg is such a fake piece of shit.

goddamn we don't need another clueless billionaire asshole as president after trump.

any silicon valley tech bro should be automatically disqualified from running for president
I seriously want Perez to tell people who have never been in the military or won an election on some level as a politician to fuck off. Put your life on the line for the country or win a state election for the party somewhere first before you come in here acting like you can hijack it.

I don't care if Zuck eventually falls flat on his face he's going to get insane coverage from CNN who are going to jerk off over the "DEMOCRATIC TRUMP" angle and push him constantly.. just taking time away from a decent candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom