• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Y'know, at least Zuck is getting out of the SV bubble and seeing the rest of America.

It does strike me that people are attacking him for the flaw he's working to correct. Sure maybe this is for a presidential run, but it's hard to imagine he could come out of this without at least a marginally better perspective.

kirblar

Y'know, at least Zuck is getting out of the SV bubble and seeing the rest of America.

It does strike me that people are attacking him for the flaw he's working to correct. Sure maybe this is for a presidential run, but it's hard to imagine he could come out of this without at least a marginally better perspective.
If he was actually trying to do it, he'd actually be doing it without doing a PR campaign designed to make people think he's not a Cylon.

John Cena did like 500 Make a Wish things, and it was only reported on as a side note in trade news until he did so many that he was breaking records that they couldn't help but publicize it!

I think the issue is how extreme that bubble apparently is for him, and while he's not an old man, he's certainly too old to be this sheltered by accident. I mean, I think people get caught up in the myths around tech inventors as broke ass slackers who thumbed their noses at the system and forget that they're (for the most part) wealthy people who were given top notch educations and had many resources to help them along.

Zuckerberg is no different than any other trust fund kid, and while I certainly commend him for charity work and his attempts to broaden his understanding, he's essentially starting way behind on being woke, as it were.

I think the issue is how extreme that bubble apparently is for him, and while he's not an old man, he's certainly too old to be this sheltered by accident. I mean, I think people get caught up in the myths around tech inventors as broke ass slackers who thumbed their noses at the system and forget that they're (for the most part) wealthy people who were given top notch educations and had many resources to help them along.

Zuckerberg is no different than any other trust fund kid, and while I certainly commend him for charity work and his attempts to broaden his understanding, he's essentially starting way behind on being woke, as it were.

I'd rather this countries wealthy elite were more like Zuckerberg than the Koch's or Walton's. Criticizing an uberwealthy person for trying to understand the plight of working and middle class Americans so maybe he can do something about it is pants on head retarded.

I'd rather this countries wealthy elite were more like Zuckerberg than the Koch's or Walton's. Criticizing an uberwealthy person for trying to understand the plight of working and middle class Americans so maybe he can do something about it is pants on head retarded.
We're all friends here but I'd prefer if we didn't throw this word around.

Sure, I agree, but I think it's understandable for people to be rubbed the wrong way by that post. It's in the same company as someone saying "did you know that the common people maintain their own lawns?" or something to that effect.

As one of the people he'd presumably be trying to connect with, I legitimately don't understand how someone could be that out of touch as to be amazed at a truck stop. So again, while I'd rather he branched out than not, it's still not a pleasant sight.

FyreWulff

looks like Zuckerberg popped into Omaha's pride festival too

gdFlFqdl.png

We're all friends here but I'd prefer if we didn't throw this word around.

I apologize.

Sure, I agree, but I think it's understandable for people to be rubbed the wrong way by that post. It's in the same company as someone saying "did you know that the common people maintain their own lawns?" or something to that effect.

As one of the people he'd presumably be trying to connect with, I legitimately don't understand how someone could be that out of touch as to be amazed at a truck stop. So again, while I'd rather he branched out than not, it's still not a pleasant sight.

I mean, the guy has always been weird. He's still fairly young--only 33--and while it's easy to say he should have seen the world by now, he was kinda busy being the CEO of one of the most successful tech startups in history. I imagine he wasn't amazed by the fact that Truck Stops exist, more the scale of it. Similar to a small town kid stepping into the city for the first time, just admiring the scale of it all. Most people don't even realize how large of an industry trucking is, or that it has a pretty massive community tailored around it.

I'd rather he spend the next several years becoming less weird if he's going to get into politics than just dive in. People are clamoring more and more every day that the Democratic Party needs more up and comers. Should we be hypercritical of every single one of them? The guy could probably draw in a lot of votes simply for saying "Hey, I created Facebook." That cannot be ignored.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Bah, that doesn't mean much, look at who's in congress.

At the end of the day, if he just uses this as PR, it will be pointless, it is utterly impossible for him to be elected on this. If he starts some new company or organization to turn an issue into a success somewhere, and build on that, he could eventually make it. If he's smart he's looking at 2028 or beyond, not 2020.

For example, what if he actually did something for the inevitable replacement of truck drivers by automated cars? Someone would have to own the vehicles either way. Like Musk once said, automated cars could be driving around while their owners are busy, making money for them, it can be very disruptive and turn car ownership a bit like AirBnB. If Zuck managed to make something that would give ownership to the truck drivers, even if it would obviously only serve a minority of today's drivers in total head count, he could build on it. Finding new solutions to new problems, early, instead of waiting on politicians, and marketing those successes, could pay off in ten or twenty years.

Again, I somehow doubt he has that patience, but who knows really. He's certainly in a great position compared to the usual path to the presidency though. Lawyers aren't the politicians of the future, people from Silicon Valley are more in tune with what will be sought. Don't paint everyone there as a greedy privileged sociopath, it's full of people of diverse backgrounds.

I think if Zuck wants to make a splash in politics he should buy a safe blue congressional seat and learn the ropes rather than run for president on a platform of "I'm rich". That worked for Trump because Republicans are morons who fellate the rich but it won't for a Democrat.

Personally I've always liked the idea of the next Democratic president setting up a Department of Technology and appointing Zuck as Secretary, but that's just me.

Ogodei

I just got a GOP delegate ad on my door.

Running on McAulliffe's coattails, highlighting high % of bills he's voted on that have been signed into law and with the word bipartisan plastered everywhere.

They're definitely worried.

So you are NoVA, then? I thought i saw another poster saying you were up in Comstock's territory.

I've got Don Beyer, Dems for state House and Senate. I've got nobody to complain to right now :p

Cant think of a better way to get back at conservatives than to have Colbert become president. It would be fucking glorious.

I'd rather he, like Zuck, knock an R US Rep on his ass instead.

What pisses me off about zuckerburg is that he's not even serious about politics. Run for a congressional seat and win. Then the senate, or Governor. Do what Arnold and Franken did, at least.

He's not going to do legislature well. He can't be US Democratic Rep #218, he's been this super-CEO and multibillionaire. Mayorship of a metropolitan city is a step down for him.

But the GOP loves celebrities turned into California governors!

40 years ago was along time. :p

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Is it too much to ask for a budding politician to have experienced these types of things before they enter politics? I mean, at least if they're going to promote this type of thing. This is so obviously fake it literally makes me a little sick.

Sometimes I wonder if there's no one but big city coastal ignoramuses and brainwashed rural idiots interested in politics.

Is it too much to ask for a budding politician to have experienced these types of things before they enter politics?

I must have missed the part where Mark Zuckerberg was elected to anything. You're literally describing where he's at right now. Zuck is not involved in politics at all as it stands. He holds no office and has no say in the political process outside of voting and possibly being consulted on legislation (which applies to most CEO's of high profile businesses). In what way is he suddenly a political figure?

I'd rather he spend the next several years becoming less weird if he's going to get into politics than just dive in. People are clamoring more and more every day that the Democratic Party needs more up and comers. Should we be hypercritical of every single one of them? The guy could probably draw in a lot of votes simply for saying "Hey, I created Facebook." That cannot be ignored.

Again, I agree that it's better he try to help than turn into a Koch brother or something, but that post is definitely out of touch to me. And I'd argue we should be hypercritical of everyone; hell, we just got out of an election where a major knock against our candidate was that she didn't seem sincere or relatable. Zuck isn't exactly going to break that image.

Bah, that doesn't mean much, look at who's in congress.

I'd argue Congress isn't well-liked.

I must have missed the part where Mark Zuckerberg was elected to anything. You're literally describing where he's at right now. Zuck is not involved in politics at all as it stands. He holds no office and has no say in the political process outside of voting and possibly being consulted on legislation (which applies to most CEO's of high profile businesses). In what way is he suddenly a political figure?

Sure, if he's not actually running for anything, then this conversation is a bit silly. But I think it's clear that his trip was to test the idea of running for something with some outreach into an early primary state. I bet he'd even squirm a bit if you just asked him your last question there ("Would you consider yourself a political figure?") because I think he's definitely mulling it over.

I mean he's a political figure in that he's clearly running for President.
Not that I necessarily agree that knowing about truckstops should be a requisite for running.

KingK

Anyone else in poliGAF live in Indianapolis? I hail from Mayor Pete's town, but I'm moving to Indy in a couple months. I think skiptastic might live there, but I don't think he's really a regular here anymore.

Maengun1

Zuckerberg running for President will actually be hilarious. I suppose you shouldn't count anything out after Trump, but everyone always knew about Trump's fan group, we just didn't know it was as big as it was. But Zuckerberg...who wants this? Literally no one wants this right lol

Zuckerberg running for President will actually be hilarious. I suppose you shouldn't count anything out after Trump, but everyone always knew about Trump's fan group, we just didn't know it was as big as it was. But Zuckerberg...who wants this? Literally no one wants this right lol

I'm an extremely boring person, and even I don't want this.

He's doomed.

KingK

Yeah, we'll see what happens but I don't know who Zuck's base is supposed to be. I don't want him to run at all, but even if he does, I'm not sure how he gets very far. I'm still pulling for Harris/Franken as my dream ticket.

Maengun1

Yeah I mean, people who voted Hillary and like competent, expert politicians don't want him.

Far left doesn't want him, surely. Dude is ultra billionaires personified.

So that leaves....people who just want a celebrity? Except he's barely a celebrity, I mean his star power is about 0. Say what you want about Trump, he knows how to fill a room with his persona.

I couldn't even see him having an impact as a third party spoiler candidate tbh (watch that happen though -_-)

Yeah I mean, people who voted Hillary and like competent, expert politicians don't want him.

Far left doesn't want him, surely. Dude is ultra billionaires personified.

So that leaves....people who just want a celebrity? Except he's barely a celebrity, I mean his star power is about 0. Say what you want about Trump, he knows how to fill a room with his persona.

I couldn't even see him having an impact as a third party spoiler candidate tbh (watch that happen though -_-)

Not to mention the alt-right and general right don't want him because of online privacy issues and their totally contradictory attitude about government spying.

What if Fuckerberg surprises us and is extremely relatable and inspiring?
lmao have you heard the guy talk, he's probably a fucking psychopath

Pixieking

Banned
Zuckerberg should use his money to fund local races.

Is there any difference in the perception of Wall Street funding politicians and SV tech entrepreneurs doing it? To me there is, but I'm also not entirely anti-Wall Street. I'm not sure if Bernie and his fans would discern the difference enough to not cause in-fighting.

Fuckerberg.

That's all I have to say about Mike Zuckerberg running for president.

Not really. I could say a lot more but I think that get's the point across.

But seriously, a megazillionaire whose only concern is slashing social benefits and cutting taxes. I volunteer for both Bernie's primary campaign and Hillary's GE campagin and pushed as many friends and Bernie supporters to vote Hillary as possible to stop Trump, but even I would just stay home for Zuckerberg vs. Trump.

Is there any difference in the perception of Wall Street funding politicians and SV tech entrepreneurs doing it? To me there is, but I'm also not entirely anti-Wall Street. I'm not sure if Bernie and his fans would discern the difference enough to not cause in-fighting.

For the record they would be right to not discern a difference because there is no difference.

SV is actually more toxic than Wall Street in many ways, IMO.

No, but what Republican Donors did really well after 2008 is they concentrated on local races. And they continued doing that well into 2016. And it has helped them tremendously.

I am not even saying state, district and precinct level races.

It's one of those mega-stops on major commercial highway routes. There's quite a few of them. I think there's a "How It's Made" or some other monotone History/Discovery Channel series episode about them.

The modern truck stop is more than just grimy showers and desperate prostitutes.

It's one of those mega-stops on major commercial highway routes. There's quite a few of them. I think there's a "How It's Made" or some other monotone History/Discovery Channel series episode about them.

The modern truck stop is more than just grimy showers and desperate prostitutes.

Wouldn't it be the truckers who are desperate?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The saddest thing is that Zuckerberg presumably thinks that was a good political move, when in reality it made him look like the most insincere and forced candidate since that one who made a Pokemon Go joke.

teasing

But I agree with everyone else. I don't understand who his market is. It's not me, it's not you, it's not angry populists, it's not minority communities, it's just totally unclear what he thinks he's going to achieve.

Zolo

The saddest thing is that Zuckerberg presumably thinks that was a good political move, when in reality it made him look like the most insincere and forced candidate since that one who made a Pokemon Go joke.

teasing

But I agree with everyone else. I don't understand who his market is. It's not me, it's not you, it's not angry populists, it's not minority communities, it's just totally unclear what he thinks he's going to achieve.

Yeah. Dude's going to crash and isn't a serious political candidate. At most, he'll get some TV time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom