• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Senate and House. Senate was moving full speed all of the sudden the engine blew up. The House just strolled out of a parking lot and got totaled by a drunk driver.

The House in its current makeup is literally a lobbying organization and the enemy of the American people. I say that unironically and without hyperbole. On balance they are against our best interests.

chadskin

DKGeCHHVoAAINlT.jpg

DKGjBjJXcAYosqH.jpg

via https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Frank Thorp V‏Verified account @frankthorp

Per pool, Pence says he called Manchin about Graham-Cassidy.

Spox asked if there's any way Manchin could support Graham-Cassidy: "Nope"

Where are they getting these votes from?

Unless this is political theater where they eventually come together at the end, where are they getting the 50 they need?

Also, I'm glad Trump is notably pushing this. If it's enacted, it will destroy his chances in 2020.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Vann R. Newkirk II @fivefifths 4h
It's wild that the rallying cry for Graham-Cassidy is basically "we have to pass this or else everyone will get coverage"

More political ammunition for 2018 and 2020. Let them all be put on record.

Blader

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I feel like if Pence is trying to reach Manchin for a vote, then they don't have McCain or Rand locked down (yet).

kirblar said:
I suspect there's something in their polling that's freaking them out re: '17/'18. Base primarying them, not showing up in midterms, etc.

I think Trump doing 'deals' with Democrats that are anathema to the GOP's agenda, specifically because he was pissed about how the GOP was unable to come together on healthcare, is also bolstering a lot of Republicans into getting this done just so they can get back in Trump's good graces. There's probably a fear that if they fail on healthcare a third time this year, then they'll end up pushing Trump even further in the Dems' direction.

Zolo

Again, it's not like they're convincing some new mass amount of people. It's basically just McCain stopping it from getting passed. If Rand already gave the thumbs up for the last bill, I doubt he'll be the deciding 'no' on this one.

Tamanon

Banned
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I feel like if Pence is trying to reach Manchin for a vote, then they don't have McCain or Rand locked down (yet).

I think Trump doing 'deals' with Democrats that are anathema to the GOP's agenda, specifically because he was pissed about how the GOP was unable to come together on healthcare, is also bolstering a lot of Republicans into getting this done just so they can get back in Trump's good graces. There's probably a fear that if they fail on healthcare a third time this year, then they'll end up pushing Trump even further in the Dems' direction.

I think they don't have Rand, Murkowski, and probably Heller.

Governors of Alaska and Nevada came out against it.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think McCain will just throw away his entire concept of regular order just for this bill, and he's already come out shit-talking the bill and the process.

Friends are friends, but historical impacts to 1/5 the economy are a bit more than a "bro" thing.

Zukkoyaki

I know I don't post much here but to chime in, I kinda get the feeling there's one more presumed no other than the obvious ones which is what's really holding things up. No idea who that would be though.

Then again, it could all just be McCain.

But that wasn't Graham's bill was it? This is.

McCain had no issues with the Skinny Repeal itself. So if he's consistent, his opinion of the overall bill won't matter if it's not given the proper process. It remains to be seen if he'll stay consistent. I'm hoping the military vet in him appreciates rule of law and tradition over being buddies with Graham.

And yes, the fact that they're calling Macnhin and Alaska means they're in a similar position to their last attempt as far as who's on board and isn't. I think McCain will be the deal breaker one way or the other here ... again.

Blader

I think they don't have Rand, Murkowski, and probably Heller.

Governors of Alaska and Nevada came out against it.

Heller cared about Sandoval's opinion right up until he didn't. And Portman hasn't given a shit about Kasich's opposition to any of these healthcare bills.

I really don't know about McCain, but I think a bipartisan letter of opposition from governors will help pressure him more in the no direction. He has already said he wants governors to be a part of health care talks (I know I know, McCain gonna McCain, but still).

Zukkoyaki said:
I know I don't post much here but to chime in, I kinda get the feeling there's one more presumed no other than the obvious ones which is what's really holding things up. No idea who that would be though.

Then again, it could all just be McCain.

Moran may be on the fence but I don't really trust him not to get onboard in the end.

The others include OH, PA, NV, MA, MT, LA, etc.

Full list:

Sarah Mimms‏Verified account @SarahMMimms 12m12 minutes ago
More
Governors from CO, AK, LA, NV, OH, MT, VA, VT, MA and PA come out against Graham-Cassidy health care bill

Sarah Mimms‏Verified account @SarahMMimms 7m7 minutes ago

That's 4 GOP governors (OH, MA, VT, NV); 1 independent (AK) and 5 Dem governors (VA, PA, CO, MT & LA).

Sarah Mimms‏Verified account @SarahMMimms 6m6 minutes ago

Together they serve w/ 9 GOP Sens: Gardner, Murkowski, Daines, Sullivan, Cassidy (bill author), Heller (sponsor), Kennedy, Toomey & Portman

Zolo

Shouldn't it be illegal to pass something this big without a proper CBO score or something?

Sure, but the Trump presidency has been a good stress test on what flaws there are from just having "traditions".

Edit: I'm trying to remember if it needs a CBO score though they can keep it hidden til the last minute.

So.... the new bill defunds planned parenthood again. That's been flagged in multiple past bills as needing 60 votes. Are Republicans just ignoring that requirement on all of this, or what? There were several 60 vote issues even with the skinny and no one ever mentioned them in debate or discussion, in congress or in the media.

MJ Lee‏Verified account @mj_lee 34m34 minutes ago
More
Susan Collins says Graham-Cassidy has "many of the same flaws of the bill we rejected previously & in fact, it has some additional flaws."

Colins+Murkowski+Paul =DOA

Replace Paul with McCain to your desires

So.... the new bill defunds planned parenthood again. That's been flagged in multiple past bills as needing 60 votes. Are Republicans just ignoring that requirement on all of this, or what? There were several 60 vote issues even with the skinny and no one ever mentioned them in debate or discussion, in congress or in the media.

Is Bernie working on this yet? Last time he delivered a lot of wins with the parliamentarian.

Shouldn't it be illegal to pass something this big without a proper CBO score or something?
They must have some type of scoring to pass under budget reconciliation rules. What they're trying to do is get the bill passed using CBO estimates on cost savings alone. Leaving out all of the major scoring components like coverage losses, etc.

The CBO has already come out and said that scoring the thing properly would take weeks. Hence why they are trying to fast track it. They know full well that once the CBO releases that 20+ million Americans will lose health coverage - they're back in the same shit heap boat where this whole thing started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom