• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And then force the Virginias and Dakotas to merge into 2 states so we don't fuck up our flag

Seriously it's perfect. 50 is a perfect number. 52 or even god forbid 51 will make my OCD go crazy till the end of time

What about Guam and American Samoa? The Northern Mariana Islands and the US Virgin Islands? We can get that sucker up to 56 easy.

Nasbin

I liked when Jeff Flake was selling his book and criticized the Republican party for exploiting phenomenally stupid culture wars like flag burning amendments to advance themselves politically. Seems like maybe it'd be a good time for him to say something when the President has become a full on caricature of Repu- *checks twitter feed* oh a few tweets signalling that you very much want to vote for G-C because you're terrified of being primaried.

I don't hate this guy as much as Sasse in the sleazy faux-moderate camp but damn is he ever a disappointment.

Vestal

Gold Member
I'll spout out my creds here real quick.
Born and raised in PR for 32 of my 39 years. have lived in Tampa FL for the past 6 years.

Having said the above, I will just say PR has too many brown people for it to be a state in today's current political climate. What PR needs right now is major financial help. Not only with the disaster caused by Maria but with paying down PRs debt. We need a real injection of capital to rebuild the infrastructure right and to be honest I would go as far as saying that the US should re-institute the 936 section of the tax code to help drive economic activity back to the island.

pigeon

Banned
And then force the Virginias and Dakotas to merge into 2 states so we don't fuck up our flag

Seriously it's perfect. 50 is a perfect number. 52 or even god forbid 51 will make my OCD go crazy till the end of time

Re-upping my call for a flag that just has a number instead of a field of stars so that we can easily update it when we add states.

"The only reason why the Democratic Party is pushing for statehood for these districts is because they know they'll win the Electoral College votes from them."

"Okay, let's get rid of the Electoral College, turn the Presidential vote into a Popular vote system, and then everyone who votes Republican in DC and PR will have their vote counted,"

See, it's all connected. :p
Not sure PR would be a lock. There are a lot of conservative Puerto Ricans out there from what I understand.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Re-upping my call for a flag that just has a number instead of a field of stars so that we can easily update it when we add states.
Let’s just do United States Survivor and vote out shitty states when we get a new one.

Or just change it to one big star. Texas also has to change its flag in this case.

Mike M

Nick N
Are there any legal opinions on what the structure of a DC state would look like? Would the office if the mayor and city legislature exist in parallel with a governorship and state legislature? I'd assume the details would be determined by whatever state constitution they ratified, but I'm curious if any form is preferred above others.

Pigeon probably likes all those horrible state flags with the state name and/or year of admittance to the Union printed on them.

Keep numbers off my flags pls.

We should replace the flag with just text that says "It has been _____ days since the last national crisis caused by a tweet" and the owner is required to keep it up to date.

I raise you that with a flag that has this:
Nocarsign.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, forgot about that CNN debate tonight.

Did bernie solidify the death of the democratic party for the next decade and ensure the repeal of Obamacare, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security as predicted?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody watched because Lindsaycare died.

Interesting. I was at least expecting it to end with McCain and Rand running on stage in a panic to pledge support for Graham-Cassidy because of their utter disbelief that Sanders would be for single payer. So even if no one watched it we'd be screwed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Interesting. I was at least expecting it to end with McCain and Rand running on stage in a panic to pledge support for Graham-Cassidy because of their utter disbelief that Sanders would be for single payer.

Rand always finds a way to yes on this shit, he's already working on it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Rand always finds a way to yes on this shit, he's already working on it.

Jokes aside, at this point I'm expecting the bill to get a lot of republican no votes just because no one is expecting it to pass, if it even makes it to a vote.

But who knows anything about what's going to happen next in 2017.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Always except the bill that this most resembles where he voted no.

Except he said the other day he was willing to entertain a yes vote, signaling that he wasn't going to be the third guy. He may just wind up voting no on this one, but he was never willing to be the vote that killed it. Never.

Given his history I have no idea why everyone in here is willing to give him so much credit. When it actually counts he's always found his way to yes, every single time. He's never been the vote to kill something, never.

Except he said the other day he was willing to entertain a yes vote, signaling that he wasn't going to be the third guy. He may just wind up voting no on this one, but he was never willing to be the vote that killed it. Never.

He said that contingent on the bill fundamentally changing. And he doesn't need to be the third guy. He can be the fifth or whatever.

Given his history I have no idea why everyone in here is willing to give him so much credit. When it actually counts he's always found his way to yes, every single time. He's never been the vote to kill something, never.
He's not getting much credit, instead it's the same refrain of repeating what you just posted over and over any time someone talks about him voting.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Voteview says that future also ran Klobuchar is about as liberal or as centrist as Dianne Feinstein and Tim Kaine.

Well, I've panicked before about being screwed without donors or "both sides" voters, but I guess someone who governs as a centrist but runs as a progressive might satisfy both of those problems.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He doesn't need to be the third guy. He can be the fifth or whatever.

A very courageous and commendable stand. Voting no for a bill he knows is already dead.

EDIT: My point is there's no point in counting him among the no votes until we already know the bill is dead, since he'll never be the one to kill it. People kept going on about how he was one of the three when his voting history shows us he'd never be that vote. He has the spine of an overcooked noodle.

Well, I've panicked before about being screwed without donors or "both sides" voters, but I guess someone who governs as a centrist but runs as a progressive might satisfy both of those problems.

Well, it's not like that actually matters anymore. If people like you they'll just ignore or explain away any votes they disagree with.

pigeon

Banned
The most efficient replacement would be a simple symbol, like say a hammer and sickle.

I actually wanted at one time to update this with a waiter's wipe cloth but it was really hard to draw.

There really should be a symbol for service workers though! We don't get hammers.

JettDash

When was the last time he insisted that he would vote against a bill then voted for it?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
When was the last time he insisted that he would vote against a bill then voted for it?

Skinny repeal, which he said he got bought off by getting a vote on full repeal that only got like 45 votes.

chadskin

In dinner w/conservative groups tonight, Trump yet again went off on Sessions for recusing himself from Russia probe, per source in the room

“You could feel it dripping with venom,” source said. Trump also suggested Sessions was ineffective, told room to tell him to “get moving"
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/912515852578246657

Incidentally (or not?), the Senate Judiciary will debate two bipartisan bills meant to protect Mueller's investigation today.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I actually wanted at one time to update this with a waiter's wipe cloth but it was really hard to draw.

There really should be a symbol for service workers though! We don't get hammers.
What about a crumb scraper? like a fancy one.

A crumb scraper and a barbers razor in an X. Under a cool skull or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom