• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixdean

This is something that comes up a bit on a few podcasts I listen to - most Republican lawmakers at this point ARE Fox News rubes. It's what they have on in their office and their home, it's what their staff watches... They have access to real information because they're elected officials but they're just as influenced by Fox propaganda as their voters.

Yup, the Republican party today is a classic case of shit in shit out. They are a perfect representation of the uneducated gullible idiots who put them in office.

Ogodei

Stick to one battle at a time. Do PR first, DC is weird with the Constitution and stuff about where the Capitol can be.

Although states are usually added in pairs, aren't they?

With DC you just pass an act which creates a new territory out of most of DC, everything except the Capitol, the White House, and the Mall. That territory calls itself Columbia while the new zone is called the National Capitol District and is under the jurisdiction of Capitol Police and the Secret Service. Since nobody actually lives in that zone (even the President has always had a permanent address elsewhere to vote), you don't have to worry about the amendment that gives DC a voice in the presidential election because it will have been vacated, and Columbia is admitted as a plain old state.

That's the way to do it without an Amendment, which isn't going to happen in our current environment.

pigeon

Banned
Do you ever wonder if we are capable of great things anymore? The german elections reminded me of what the allies did in Germany post WW2. Could we even do that anymore?

I think the evidence suggests we wouldn't even get involved in WWII today, with or without knowledge of the camps.

And by we I mean that not getting involved would have widespread support across a variety of ideologies in America.

I think the evidence suggests we wouldn't even get involved in WWII today, with or without knowledge of the camps.

And by we I mean that not getting involved would have widespread support across a variety of ideologies in America.

It was true then, too. Whether we knew of the scope of the camps or not, we knew they existed. And it took being bombed to get us into the war.

One thing to keep in mind about VA is that, even for its reputation as a blue state, Republicans have a pretty high floor. Northam is rightly regarded as the favorite given the environment, but if you're expecting polls to start showing a landslide, you're going to be disappointed.

kirblar

One thing to keep in mind about VA is that, even for its reputation as a blue state, Republicans have a pretty high floor. Northam is rightly regarded as the favorite given the environment, but if you're expecting polls to start showing a landslide, you're going to be disappointed.
One of the earliest polls had Gillespie winning Rs and Is and it didn't matter because there were so many Ds in the estimated electorate.

Gillespie being unable to bust 41% in so many polls is very much a good thing.

Yeah, it's important to remember too that Clinton actually overperformed in Virginia, and that was against a lunatic. Gillespie is a much better fit for the state than Trump, so if Northam can match Clinton's performance that would be impressive in its own right.

Monmouth says Northam is actually doing very well in the Commonwealth, only trailing 50-43 whereas McAuliffe lost it 57-36. If he can get his numbers up in NoVa that's the key to a big statewide win.

Eh, Trump wasn't breaking 40% in a lot of swing state polls. What we should look to is that Northam is getting closer to 50% and undecideds are dropping, which lowers the uncertainty.

Basically I'm much more comfortable with a 50-45 poll than a 45-40 poll.

Eh, Trump wasn't breaking 40% in a lot of swing state polls. What we should look to is that Northam is getting closer to 50% and undecideds are dropping, which lowers the uncertainty.

Basically I'm much more comfortable with a 50-45 poll than a 45-40 poll.
PPP had him at 43-40 but that seems to be a bit of an outlier.

Polling around this time in 2013 had McAuliffe in low 40s, Cuccinelli in high 30s. Northam being closer to 50 already is good news, especially with Cuccinelli also being crazy but Gillespie not doing much better.

Wilsongt

Student protestors are like the KKK.

He cited instances on college campuses that he claimed were either a violation of students’ freedom of speech — like students who were arrested in Michigan for passing out copies of the Constitution — or a university’s attempt to shut down diversity of thought.

Specifically he spoke about a “frightening” incident at Middlebury College in Vermont, in which a guest speaker was invited to the school to debate with a professor. Protesters shut down the discussion by shouting, he said.

“When the debaters attempted to move to a private broadcasting location, the protestors—many in masks, a common tactic also used by the detestable Ku Klux Klan — pulled fire alarms, surrounded the speakers, and began physically assaulting them,” he said. “In short, Middlebury students engaged in a violent riot to ensure that neither they nor their fellow students would hear speech they may have disagreed with.”

The guest speaker who was invited to the private liberal arts school for a debate was Charles Murray, the controversial co-author of “The Bell Curve,” which argues that there may be intellectual differences between races.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sessions-equates-protesters-kkk-remarks-free-speech

Closer than it should be, eh?

Anyways, I bet that Northam wins 52/47/1 and you all freak out until the end of the night when NoVA comes in.

I've thought the same thing about the NoVA returns. People really don't understand the idea that early returns are not a random sample.

No vote on G-C bill confirmed now.
It's dead folks, pack it up.

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/912738202129190913

2ALg3pB.gif

Or when they tweak it some more and bring it right back this week.

They have to write a new bill in the House that hasn't even been started yet that includes health care and tax cut proposals in it.

Do you expect them to pass this unwritten, not thought about prior to one week ago bill through the House in one week.

They could always try crafting a bill over the course of a year or so, with bi-partisan committees, input from hospitals, insurance companies, and the people, and turn the US healthcare system into a crown jewel.

Or they can write up some hair brain scheme on a napkin in a few days and fail for the 5th or 6th time.

So uh. Is there any particular reason Trump continues to insist the PR response is so awesome? I assume it's because his advisors tell him it's going great, because by any media accounts I've seen for this past week there's like zero federal presence there yet. CNN went to the second-largest city and they were asked if they were FEMA when they arrived because it was the first people who had come in. He mentioned next week as the first chance after first responder work, but there are like no first responders to get in the way of.

I'm sure he'll be received warmly, in that there are no power or other basic services on most of the island so the news will never reach people that Trump is visiting and the temperatures will be high.

Edit: Trump: "All I do is work"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom